Jump to topic:

Re-Opening Rounds or Voting

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 9:10:10 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
I'm sure this has been propositioned before, but I was wondering what the consensus was.

I've seen a lot of debates that have resulted in ties from nobody voting. A few of my current debates have 10 day voting periods, and I'm afraid nobody will vote before the voting period expires. Would there be a way to re-open voting on some debates so as to extend the voting period if they finished with 0 votes? I believe that's fair since there was no judgment favoring either side.

I was also wondering about this in regard to forfeits. Obviously, if someone forfeits a debate they deserve to lose (the majority of my losses = forfeits, and that's just tough sh!t on my part lol whatever - a full life gets in the way). But if two debaters want to re-open the debate and both agree to do so, would it be possible?

For instance I started a debate on Homework and my opponent had to forfeit. He asked me to challenge him to a new debate on the same subject so I did. But I wouldn't have cared to just restart the debate and not have it count against him. Is there a feature that allows the mod/admin or someone to extend the round time or go back and edit the rounds if both debaters agree?

Just curious on some thoughts to this.
President of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 9:23:48 PM
Airmax can reset debates, if I recall correctly.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 9:26:02 PM
At 5/18/2016 9:10:10 PM, Danielle wrote:
I'm sure this has been propositioned before, but I was wondering what the consensus was.

I've seen a lot of debates that have resulted in ties from nobody voting. A few of my current debates have 10 day voting periods, and I'm afraid nobody will vote before the voting period expires. Would there be a way to re-open voting on some debates so as to extend the voting period if they finished with 0 votes? I believe that's fair since there was no judgment favoring either side.

I was also wondering about this in regard to forfeits. Obviously, if someone forfeits a debate they deserve to lose (the majority of my losses = forfeits, and that's just tough sh!t on my part lol whatever - a full life gets in the way). But if two debaters want to re-open the debate and both agree to do so, would it be possible?

For instance I started a debate on Homework and my opponent had to forfeit. He asked me to challenge him to a new debate on the same subject so I did. But I wouldn't have cared to just restart the debate and not have it count against him. Is there a feature that allows the mod/admin or someone to extend the round time or go back and edit the rounds if both debaters agree?

Just curious on some thoughts to this.

I don't believe there is but if your opponent is willing you can instigate the debate again, copy your rounds over and the mid can delete the original (though I realise that this isn't applicable to the FF instances). If you've got any debates that have full forfeits on them or are relatively short I'm sure that many members wouldn't mind voting. I know that I rarely refuse to vote on a debate if it is linked to me and it only requires a quick vote.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 11:29:32 PM
At 5/18/2016 9:23:48 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I think he can only delete them
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2016 11:39:20 PM
At 5/18/2016 11:29:32 PM, TUF wrote:

I think he can only delete them

I'm not exactly sure what the extent of his power here is, so Idk.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 4:51:16 AM
At 5/18/2016 9:26:02 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Airmax can reset rounds. Moderation has a policy not to do that because they might be flooded by such requests. The same with changing usernames.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 7:08:52 AM
At 5/19/2016 4:51:16 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 5/18/2016 9:26:02 PM, famousdebater wrote:

Airmax can reset rounds. Moderation has a policy not to do that because they might be flooded by such requests. The same with changing usernames.

I know. If you have a valid reason then they'll do this (though this scenario probably isn't valid). I had to have loads of rounds reset when the ff glitch was going on because all of my debates froze when my opponent forfeited.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 7:46:15 AM
At 5/19/2016 7:08:52 AM, famousdebater wrote:
I know. If you have a valid reason then they'll do this (though this scenario probably isn't valid). I had to have loads of rounds reset when the ff glitch was going on because all of my debates froze when my opponent forfeited.

Yep, and trolls have accepted my debates, so...
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2016 7:47:01 AM

But it wipes the content.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...