Jump to topic:

Idea: Open and Standing Letter to Parents

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 12:16:13 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
There are a lot more kids here than there used to be. Parents are naturally concerned about their kids' online activity. Someone (maybe, though not necessarily me) should write a post, to be stickied, to let parents know what this place is all about.

That might ameliorate some of the stupid overreactions that parents have to their kids being here.

This place is probably the most strictly moderated place I have ever seen on the internet. Potential deviant's memberships are actively culled. This place is one where people can interact with all kind of other people, to learn and grow. Basically, if I had a kid, and they wanted an internet hobby... this is 100% the place I'd want them to be, for that reason... at least now.
Tsar of DDO
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 12:33:12 AM
^yes
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 12:33:39 AM
At 5/21/2016 12:16:13 AM, YYW wrote:
There are a lot more kids here than there used to be. Parents are naturally concerned about their kids' online activity. Someone (maybe, though not necessarily me) should write a post, to be stickied, to let parents know what this place is all about.

That might ameliorate some of the stupid overreactions that parents have to their kids being here.

This place is probably the most strictly moderated place I have ever seen on the internet. Potential deviant's memberships are actively culled. This place is one where people can interact with all kind of other people, to learn and grow. Basically, if I had a kid, and they wanted an internet hobby... this is 100% the place I'd want them to be, for that reason... at least now.

Not a bad idea.

Someone could end the post with something like, "the only downfall of your son or daughter spending much of their time here, is that when you tell them why they should do what you request of them, don't be surprised if their response is something like, "That's a fallacious argument, and an hominem, or get off my case, you are using a red herring.""

The dangers of the site are that your son or daughter may actually make more sense than you do while arguing.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 12:38:47 AM

I would ask you to talk to my parents... but that would be a bad idea... because then she'll know I have friends..
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 12:40:09 AM
At 5/21/2016 12:38:47 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

I would ask you to talk to my parents... but that would be a bad idea... because then she'll know I have friends..

How dare you have friends!
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 12:41:26 AM
At 5/21/2016 12:40:09 AM, Wylted wrote:
At 5/21/2016 12:38:47 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

How dare you have friends!

More like how dare you have a life.
Have no regrets.
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 12:45:22 AM
What the heck, there shouldn't be any kids on here.
Have no regrets.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 12:45:56 AM
I think the problem might be when kids let their activities here get in the way of their responsibilities such as homework or chores. Some people do spend a lot of time on here.
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 1:04:45 AM

Sure. I'd write it, as long as Airmax agreed to sticky it.

Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 1:14:50 AM

This is an interesting idea, and it is certainly true that we have many more young people on the site than we used to. Parents naturally should be concerned about their child's internet activity, and something like a "note to parents" post (or sticky, or site info addendum etc) that details the benefits of the site and addresses some of the concerns they might have, could go a long way in informing them of the site, and letting them know of the potential benefits and things they should be aware of or be concerned about.

I think given the site's demographic trend, that this is something that makes a lot of sense. If Juggle were ever to focus more on site marketing, I think this would be an obvious addition, though even in lieu of that, this would be something worth including on the site in some form regardless.
Debate.org Moderator
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 1:38:52 AM
At 5/21/2016 1:14:50 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

This is an interesting idea, and it is certainly true that we have many more young people on the site than we used to. Parents naturally should be concerned about their child's internet activity, and something like a "note to parents" post (or sticky, or site info addendum etc) that details the benefits of the site and addresses some of the concerns they might have, could go a long way in informing them of the site, and letting them know of the potential benefits and things they should be aware of or be concerned about.

I think given the site's demographic trend, that this is something that makes a lot of sense. If Juggle were ever to focus more on site marketing, I think this would be an obvious addition, though even in lieu of that, this would be something worth including on the site in some form regardless.

I'm writing such a letter now. Whenever I finish it, can it be stickied after I send it to you for review?

The DDO Blog:

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 1:49:50 AM
At 5/21/2016 1:38:52 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

I'm writing such a letter now. Whenever I finish it, can it be stickied after I send it to you for review?

I'm certainly willing to review what you have written, though it's not likely that I will create a new sticky for it in the near future, nor that I will sticky a thread of this nature being posted from your profile. I'm happy to read whatever you write though, and perhaps once I've considered how to utilize this content it may be used in some fashion.
Debate.org Moderator
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 1:50:15 AM

Good idea :)
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 1:51:43 AM
At 5/21/2016 1:49:50 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

I'm certainly willing to review what you have written, though it's not likely that I will create a new sticky for it in the near future, nor that I will sticky a thread of this nature being posted from your profile. I'm happy to read whatever you write though, and perhaps once I've considered how to utilize this content it may be used in some fashion.

Please don't misunderstand; this is me speaking out of curiosity rather than offense, but: is there any specific reason for this wording?

The DDO Blog:

Sapphique
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 1:52:25 AM
At 5/21/2016 1:16:49 AM, Hayd wrote:
I would love to see this happen

Me too, even though my dad still doesn't know that I go on here lol. My mom does, but she's slightly disapproving.
DDO Beginners' Mafia Moderator -- PM me if you'd like to learn how to play mafia!

"We wondered what happiness would look like if we could give it a physical form...the shape of happiness might resemble glass...even though you don't usually notice it, it's still definitely there. You merely have to change your point of view slightly, and then that glass will sparkle when it reflects the light. I doubt that anything else could argue its own existence more eloquently." ~Lelouch
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 1:55:40 AM

I would also like to review it. I don't want it posted from my account (for obvious reasons... namely I kind of have a questionable post history), but I still know what should go in it.
Tsar of DDO
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 1:57:55 AM
Okay, I've written it.

The DDO Blog:

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 2:00:10 AM
At 5/21/2016 1:52:25 AM, Sapphique wrote:
At 5/21/2016 1:16:49 AM, Hayd wrote:
I would love to see this happen

Me too, even though my dad still doesn't know that I go on here lol. My mom does, but she's slightly disapproving.

Can we start a thread where people explain why their parent's disapprove, other than for reasons of when it gets to the point of taking away from homework or chores, I don't. Get what there is to dislike
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 2:03:13 AM
At 5/21/2016 1:51:43 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

Please don't misunderstand; this is me speaking out of curiosity rather than offense, but: is there any specific reason for this wording?

I just wanted to be sure that I was clear here, since I didn't want you to work on something under any assumptions of how it would be used. This wasn't meant as something personal to you in any way. If such a post is made, and intended to eventually be stickied, the very nature of it requires that it be posted from an official profile of some type (like one of the moderators, or some account approved of in advance) since the content of the profile (sigs, albums, posting history etc) will reflect on the content itself, if parents evaluating the site for their children look beyond just what is posted. I'm sure you can agree that the it's counter intuitive to have a post talking about the value of the site to parents, if the post is also posted by someone with a sig that is less than ideal. Again, this wasn't directed at you personally, but I wanted to be clear that A) I'm not going to promise this content will be used in any way and B) It's not likely I will allow anyone to post it (for the purpose of a sticky, assuming it's utilized in such a fashion) aside from an approved account.
Debate.org Moderator
Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 2:05:14 AM
At 5/21/2016 2:03:13 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 5/21/2016 1:51:43 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:

I just wanted to be sure that I was clear here, since I didn't want you to work on something under any assumptions of how it would be used. This wasn't meant as something personal to you in any way. If such a post is made, and intended to eventually be stickied, the very nature of it requires that it be posted from an official profile of some type (like one of the moderators, or some account approved of in advance) since the content of the profile (sigs, albums, posting history etc) will reflect on the content itself, if parents evaluating the site for their children look beyond just what is posted. I'm sure you can agree that the it's counter intuitive to have a post talking about the value of the site to parents, if the post is also posted by someone with a sig that is less than ideal. Again, this wasn't directed at you personally, but I wanted to be clear that A) I'm not going to promise this content will be used in any way and B) It's not likely I will allow anyone to post it (for the purpose of a sticky, assuming it's utilized in such a fashion) aside from an approved account.

Ah. Okay. Just making sure.
I'll send the completed letter to you now over a PM.

The DDO Blog:

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 2:36:01 AM

I'd support this (though my parents know all about Debate.org since it's like 99% of my free time).
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 2:41:36 PM
At 5/21/2016 2:36:01 AM, tejretics wrote:

I'd support this (though my parents know all about Debate.org since it's like 99% of my free time).

Lucky bastard
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 6:15:06 PM
At 5/21/2016 2:41:36 PM, Hayd wrote:

Lucky bastard

And yours?
Tsar of DDO
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 6:19:25 PM
At 5/21/2016 6:15:06 PM, YYW wrote:

Lucky bastard

And yours?

My parents?
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 6:19:53 PM
At 5/21/2016 6:19:25 PM, Hayd wrote:

Lucky bastard

And yours?

My parents?

yeah
Tsar of DDO
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 6:42:13 PM

Its a good idea. Excellent as a matter of fact. I do think it should be... I don't know, not just a forum post. As usual issues with Juggle hamper efforts like this, but starting with just a sticky forum post is better than nothing.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 10:08:09 PM
At 5/21/2016 6:19:53 PM, YYW wrote:

Lucky bastard

And yours?

My parents?

yeah

My parents hate DDO because I enjoy it. They've come to blame every "bad" thing I've done as a direct result of DDO, even though those behaviors occured before I joined DDO, occur when I'm not on DDO, and are inherent to a teenager. They think I spend too much time on here, and that it leads to me being disrespectful (arguing). I've been grounded for 7 months now...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2016 10:34:40 PM
At 5/21/2016 10:08:09 PM, Hayd wrote:

Lucky bastard

And yours?

My parents?

yeah

My parents hate DDO because I enjoy it. They've come to blame every "bad" thing I've done as a direct result of DDO, even though those behaviors occured before I joined DDO, occur when I'm not on DDO, and are inherent to a teenager. They think I spend too much time on here, and that it leads to me being disrespectful (arguing). I've been grounded for 7 months now...

That's idiotic, and your parents sound idiotic.
Tsar of DDO
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2016 12:41:19 AM
At 5/21/2016 10:34:40 PM, YYW wrote:
At 5/21/2016 10:08:09 PM, Hayd wrote:

Lucky bastard

And yours?

My parents?

yeah

That's idiotic, and your parents sound idiotic.

My mom is, not my dad. He's cool