Jump to topic:

Campaign Comparisons 06-2016

Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 12:02:05 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
The following is a comparative list of the most popular candidates (and anti-candidates), by order of polled popularity.

Questions were generated with the help of the community, via an open thread on the main forum, and the candidate themselves.

Candidates were each interviewed in a series of stages, and instructed to keep their responses brief. Below are their unadulterated answers.

(For a better layout, please view as a spreadsheet at: https://docs.google.com...)

Campaign Link?
donald.keller (DK) http://www.debate.org...
Imabench (Ima) http://www.debate.org...
Geogeer (NOTA) http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink (Harder) http://www.debate.org...

Tagline?
DK: #SaveThePresidency #SaveTheSite
Ima: #EndthePrez
NOTA: #DDONOTA
Harder: #UnitedWeStand Support Harder today for a better tomorrow

Key Promise?
DK: Redefine the purpose of the Presidency.
Ima: Abolish the presidency and replace it with a Convention system.
NOTA: To increase actual debate and voting.
Harder: To heal site divides.

Basic plan to achieve that?
DK: Focus on new roles not fulfilled by the general community, like Records Keeper, Facebook Moderator, Liaison with other Sites, etc. As opposed to hosting the same old programs that anyone can and will host, which led to the rise of Abolition in the first place.
Ima: Airmax himself has agreed to details for implementing the Convention system should I be elected, meaning that I have mod assurance that my system would be implemented if I win the election.
NOTA: Eliminate the presidency and replace it with a participation based titular position.
Harder: By getting more people involved and creating programs to help achieve unity.

Who is your VP and why are they the best fit?
DK: TUF: His willingness to tell me when he disagrees, and to counter my own agenda.
Ima: I don't have a VP because the position is even more useless than the presidency, and is just a crude tactic meant to lure voters more towards a candidate to vote for them.
NOTA: There would be no need for a VP under this new model.
Harder: Solon. Everyone likes him, so he's a pretty good person to help facilitate unity.

What do you consider your greatest two contributions to DDO thus far?
DK: Voter's Union. DDO's Game Over. Voting Reform.
Ima: DDO The Movie, and the official Hall of Fame.
NOTA: I'm mostly a background character on here. I post mainly in the Religion forum, but am respected for adding value and decorum to what is a pretty volatile forum.
Harder: I haven't done much too great.

Best example of your prior leadership on this site?
DK: Voter's Union.
Ima: Getting the Hall of Fame created without having to run for president on the promise to create it.
NOTA: None.
Harder: I don't recall anything.

If elected, how will your initiatives improve the site long term (beyond the length of your reign)?
DK: The Facebook page and cross-site collaborations would produce long term members and new ideas/activities.
Ima: DDO Conventions would open up member-participation on pushing and voting for reforms to the site, as well as remove the middle-man from the equation (the president) to make the new system more effective in addition to being more open.
NOTA: Fundamental change that allow for slow, regular, and thought out changes in governance by the site members and setting up a system that encourages more active debate and an ability to propose possible changes by motivated people.
Harder: My emphasis on outreach and mentoring will bring in members that otherwise wouldn't have stayed.

How would it be different if not elected?
DK: No other candidate has a plan for attracting new members, so the site would lose out on many new ideas and members.
Ima: We would have the same presidency drama over and over with no real change being implemented.
NOTA: You either get stuck with: ... 1) the status quo, of what is essentially a popularity contest for individuals to attempt to make the site what they want it to be - which inevitably alienates groups of people. ... 2) or you end up with a system wherein you have lost some aspect of site building and replace it with a different kind of popularity contest wherein you have people to out shout others in an unbridled manner subject to waves of populism. ... Neither of which addresses a lack of ongoing voting and debate.
Harder: Nobody else has that focus.

Why is winning this election important to you?
DK: The election is between our ticket, and losing the Presidency. The Presidency has much that it can do for the site, and much that it has done.
Ima: To be honest it's not. If I lose I won't care at all, I just am running because I want to see if given a legitimate alternative, DDO would vote to keep the Presidency or get rid of it.... I'm doing this more off of curiosity than genuine desire to win and become the last President.... Though that is hard to believe for a lot of people I'm sure.
NOTA: In a personal sense, it isn't. I'm middle aged, I have a career and a family. This site is recreation for me. ... However, I do want what is best for this site. I see problems and believe that I have a solution that addresses them.
Harder: Because I'm interested in making the site better.

Do you feel that maturity matters in this election? And further why do you feel that you have the right level of it?
DK: Emotional maturity? Yes. Me and TUF have stayed stable in each discussion, never lowering ourselves to personal attacks, or drama. This makes us the only candidates so far to do this. ... We have both also ran a number of major site programs, and successful experience is 90% of maturity.
Ima: Maturity matters only for people who want to BE president. For those who want to END the presidency though, maturity doesn't matter nearly as much, if even at all.... While my conduct certainly isn't stellar, conduct and maturity are two different things. I'm not going to rage quit off the site if I lose or try to undermine whoever is the winner, and I'm not going to run again in the next election to try to avenge any loss in this election.... So while my conduct is questionable, my maturity is certainly good enough.
NOTA: Maturity always matters. ... I can interact with anyone in a consistently mature manner respecting their dignity and keep discussions free of insults and drama. I am also fair in my dealings with people on this site. Even those with whom I get into heated debates with feel comfortable talking to me on other issues.
Harder: Of course maturity matters. People usually tell me I'm mature beyond my years, aside from a couple detractors.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 12:02:29 AM
Biggest pet peeve in member behavior?
DK: Mistranslating the words of other members.
Ima: People being stupid.
(not applicable to everyone)
NOTA: Disrespectful behaviour.
Harder: Necroposting unfunny threads.

Favorite type of member behavior?
DK: Willingness to listen to someone explaining why your were wrong.
Ima: Participation in Google hangouts probably.
NOTA: Honesty.
Harder: Standing up for other members if they need help.

How do you encourage less of the first, and more of the second?
DK: Both exist on a personal level, and can't be influenced by another member alone.
Ima: Well I can't exactly discourage people from being stupid, and neither can anyone else, but I try to participate in Google Hangouts as much as possible.
NOTA: Lead by example.
Harder: They're kind of unrelated.

Opinion of thread necromancy?
DK: Depends on the thread, and why it is being necro-posted.
Ima: Hate it almost above anything else but I live with it just cause 10% of the time a thread that is actually interesting gets bumped.
NOTA: Mostly ambivalent. Can be funny or useful if done well. Can be annoying if simply done because others are doing it.
Harder: It'd better be funny.

Opinion of severely polarized (irredeemably biased) voting?
DK: It's not just wrong, it's immoral. Our vote affect people.
Ima: I acknowledge that biased voting can still affect debates, but the stringent RFD rules weed out a large amount of potentially biased votes so I do not consider it a big problem on the site.
NOTA: It happens. Debate is the art of convincing people that one viewpoint is superior to another. Some people cannot differentiate the debate from the topic. This is highly prevalent in the debates I tend to take part in (religious & abortion). One learns to live with it.
Harder: Totally opposed.

Opinion of general main forum behavior during elections? (early announcements, spam spam spam, countless endorsements, etc.)
DK: Endorsements and Spam are fine. Primarily because Endorsements are an important part of an election, and spam is just important threads pushing the election forward. Early announcements were unfortunate, but didn't cause any harm.
Ima: Main forum behavior during the elections is one of the biggest reasons people are open to the idea of abolishing the presidency in the first place XD.... If there werent 5 to 6 trolls running every time an election comes by, there probably wouldn't even be an abolitionist voter base to begin with
NOTA: Well the really early announcements were annoying because it was actually a disservice to the election. As for the rest, well it has positives and negatives. The board is pretty slow most of the time these days so it doesn't detract from more important things being said and done.
Harder: I fvcking hate it. The only reason I participate during this is because I'm a candidate.

Speaking of endorsements, which are you most proud of and why?
DK: TUF... But since he's a member of the ticket, let's say 16kadams (http://www.debate.org...). He was my first non-candidate endorsement (since Rosalie was a candidate prior, and 16k's candidacy was for fun),
Ima: It's not an endorsement, but Airmax agreeing to rules for DDO Conventions and agreeing to implement the system if I got elected (http://www.debate.org...) is definitely something I'm proud of because it shows that my system can work, and that there is an alternative to the presidency people can vote for if they really want the presidency abolished.
NOTA: I am honoured by all the people that have endorsed me. I am mostly an unknown with little inherent popularity to propel my campaign forward. For anyone to publicly declare that they endorse my campaign opens them to ridicule because they are not part of any in crowd. They have chosen to endorse my campaign strictly because of my actual campaign and how I manage to convince them through arguments and comportment.
Harder: I've only gotten one - from Bsh (http://www.debate.org...).

How would you improve the general RFD quality level on the site?
DK: I don't believe my criteria for a good RFD should be pushed onto others. I would aim to create a voting setup built around everyone's options. It's your debate, you should decide how it's moderated.
Ima: Further improving RFD quality would further drive down votes, which is already at historically low rates to begin with. I'm not campaigning on any initiative to improve RFD quality, but any member who has an idea they want to implement can have it voted on in a DDO Convention.
NOTA: By not making it so stringent by default. If you make voting too difficult you won't get people involved. Voting is like debating, you learn and get better as you do it. If you intimidate people out of it right from the start, they won't improve. If you are a good voter, do a good job. People will observe and learn. They will contact you about learning to vote better. In my opinion DDO is not meant to be a place of snobbery wherein it becomes elitist in nature. Different people want different things out of the site. Let them get what they want out of it, and if they like it they will become more involved.
Harder: I haven't put a lot of thought into what my administration would do for voting. I think private groups do a good enough job with that - at least in theory.

What makes your campaign distinct?
DK: It's built around completely redefining the Presidency. Dropping the roles the position normally has, and replacing them with roles not fulfilled by the general community.
Ima: I'm running an actual abolitionist campaign with a system that the mods would agree to implement should I win. No other candidate in history has been able to claim that.
NOTA: It is the only one that is crafted specifically for this site. The other campaigns are about implementing strategies that generally exist in other organizations. This campaign is done in a manner that encourages debating/voting, provides slow and steady self governance, adds an element of fun competition to the site and provides incentive to those who want to implement something specific.
Harder: My platform focuses on things the others don't.

Opinion of Juggle? (DDO's owners, who are responsible for the site errors)
DK: They are a terrible group who exploit the communities they buy out. While it's worthwhile to try contacting them, the Presidency needs to focus elsewhere.
Ima: Uncaring of the site.
NOTA: They are a self interested corporation. It is unfortunate that they do not consider this site to be a high priority.
Harder: They probably have bigger issues to deal with. I think they should just sell the site, but w/e.

Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 12:03:05 AM
Can Juggle improve, and if so how can members affect this?
DK: Of course they can change, but whether it's likely or not isn't something we can answer. Members can't affect it via the Internet.
Ima: Hell Juggle could improve its relations with DDO by miles just by knocking out some of the bugs that plague the site. Hell we still can't even make a new poll in the polls section.
NOTA: Sure Juggle can improve, anyone can improve. I listed a proposal after my policy (not part of my campaign, but something for people to consider) open to us to improve revenues from our site, and give us some leverage to discuss with. ... The basics of it are the the only way Juggle makes money is from advertising. Juggle makes more money if advertising is clicked on. Hence I proposed that we could set up a policy that if you wanted your debate voted on then you would have to show proof of clicking on ads. ... Not particularly elegant, and not necessarily the road members want to go down. However, it is one means of getting attention.
Harder: Members cannot affect it. They have to improve on their own.

---Next three questions reformatted for singular flow---
Concise opinion of DK's campaign?
Ima: Generic.

Favorite thing about DK's campaign?
Ima: He perfectly represents the status-quo for people who want to keep the presidency, and thus makes him a great opponent for a 1v1 matchup against me.

Reply from opponent:
"A status-quo presidency is one that uses a basic Administration to run a lot of basic programs, like a Voting program, Beginner's groups and tournaments that anyone can run" I'm scrapping the Administration and nearly all programs, and focusing almost entirely on unique, odd jobs not filled by the general community. Hardly status quo." -donald.keller

NOTA: Opportunistic and cautious. Announced Early and scooped up much of the pro-presidency vote. Now just being quiet and hoping that this is enough to sail through to victory.

NOTA: Has stayed classy in his postings.

Reply from opponent:
"I've been very active in the forums, and a number of recent threads and hundreds of posts. Also, thank you!" -donald.keller

Harder: BS.

Harder: Lol.

Reply from opponent:
"Age is not a requirement for the Presidency" Maturity is. Especially when being a liaison with the Moderators. 1harder spends more time spreading rumors than addressing platforms." -donald.keller

Concise opinion of Ima's campaign?
DK: His campaign strategy is built around causing drama and blaming it on the Presidency.

Favorite thing about Ima's campaign?
DK: He truly thought out a plan for Abolition (the Conventions) instead of just dissolving the Presidency and nothing more.

Reply from opponent:
"If DK really thinks my campaign is built around causing drama rather than DDO Conventions and Abolitionism, then it only shows how much they take my candidacy seriously." -imabench

Ima: Truly abolitionist.

Ima: I'm running it and getting support :P

Reply from opponent:
"lol, tell imabench he can go f*ck himself, just for the irony" -imabench

NOTA: Obnoxious and disrespectful.

NOTA: Creates discussion.

Reply from opponent:
"Geogeer is an incompetent swine who only looks to leach off my legitimate candidacy as an abolitionist to pull the spotlight more onto himself. He is a non-factor in the election and not even a legit candidate." -imabench

Harder: Decent. Could use some work on the conventions.

Harder: The hope of ending Presidential drama, but knowing us (DDO) - it won't go away.

Reply from opponent:
"The underdog in the election that part of me can't help but root for." -imabench

Concise opinion of NOTA's campaign?
DK: It's an Abolitionist-ish campaign, but it's clean.

Favorite thing about NOTA's campaign?
DK: It's clean.

Reply from opponent:
DK: "DK has made no comments about my campaign. As I said cautious." -Geogeer

Ima: A complete sham of a campaign, being run by a complete sham of a candidate.

Ima: Almost no one supports it.

Reply from opponent:
Ima: "imabench has been nothing but disrespectful towards my campaign right from the beginning. Instead of being willing to enter into a debate all he does is make petty comments. ... Truly beneath any campaign on a debate website." -Geogeer

Harder: Never read it.

Harder: Nothing.

Reply from opponent:
"1harder has not made any comments about my campaign except to attempt to justify why I shouldn't be in the debate despite having respectable polling numbers." -Geogeer

Concise opinion of Harder's campaign?
DK: It adds nothing new to the table, remaining status quo. Liaison with the Mods is already a basic job of the Presidency.

Favorite thing about Harder's campaign?
DK: Hayd is in it.

Reply from opponent:
DK: "Tu quoque. He loves going after me if I attack his platform or talk about his deal with Rosalie." -1harderthanyouthink

Ima: Interesting to say the least.

Ima: He may actually be a better opponent to face than DK in a 1v1 matchup against me, in light of DK's questionable decision to terminate Bsh's programs and hand them off to Rosalie and Famous.

Reply from opponent:
"Sure." -1harderthanyouthink

NOTA: Cautious and reactionary.

NOTA: It is admirable for a young man such as him to aspire to such a leadership position.

Reply from opponent:
"Geo hasn't said anything, really." -1harderthanyouthink

Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 12:03:36 AM
Additional Question you feel all candidates should be asked?
DK: Does your history show any evidence of your ability to lead a program, or many programs at once?
Ima: Q = How would you rate Bsh as a President?
NOTA: Why are the other campaigns unwilling to push for an all candidate debate?
Harder: I have no suggestions.

How would you rate Bsh as a President?
DK: B+
Ima: B-
NOTA: A- for effort and conviction. ... C+ for results. The site feels smothering these days.
Harder: B+

Does your history show any evidence of your ability to lead a program, or many programs at once?
DK: My history with the Voter's Union, Census Debate, Voting Squad, Supreme Council of Determination, several popular FATE games (which requires 300+ pm's a day and a lot of management), the Beginner's Tournament, the DDODCL, Bsh's Administration, Bsh's Mentorship Program, the Wiki Affairs program, Fanfictions, Die Stimme, Adam_Godzilla"s Fanfic Writing Group, Juggle's very own experimental Poll Moderation program, Pope of the Church of NAC, a number of Voting Reforms, a current member of Airmax"s Community Outreach Program, and many more, prove I can host, juggle, and succeed at MANY programs, often at the same time.
Ima: I ran the Weekly Stupid for months on end, making it one of the most popular individual efforts anyone ever put into the site. I helped establish the official site Hall of Fame by using my own relations with the mods to create it rather than try to run for president on a sham promise to create it. I made fanfictions an aspect of the site and it became so popular that they had to be moved to the entertainment forum because so many people participated in the idea..... I invented a literal religion on the site called the Church of NAC that my fellow opponents freely participated in. I'm not running to lead a program or create a program, but my history is full of evidence that I can take the lead on something and make it very popular across the site.
NOTA: No. However my platform doesn't require me to lead any programs. Under my platform the presidency would be replaced with an office that has limited and specified duties, all of which can be easily completed by any member.
Harder: [No response provided]

Why are the [non-NOTA] campaigns unwilling to push for an all candidate debate?
DK: I'm not opposed to a 4-way debate. However, it's his job to get his campaign recognized. I won't host a 4-way debate to get his campaign attention, he has to do that. If he hosts a debate, I'll be there.
Ima: I'm not pushing for an all candidate debate because not all campaigns deserve to be given equal spotlight and treatment as actual legitimate campaigns.... Anyone who remembers the GOP debates in the 2016 election knows that Bobby Jindal and Lindsey Graham had no business being included in the main debates even though they were candidates who were running..... Only serious campaigns that can show they are competitive in the election should be in a debate for the site presidency. ... Geogeer is not a serious candidate with substantial support. Rosalie and Wylted never had a base to show they had any chance at all, and neither Jedi7 nor Seventh Professor are real candidates to begin with even though they are included in TBR's poll. The fact that you are simply running does not make someone a worthy campaign or a worthy candidate, you need to have a sensible platform and a substantial amount of support to be treated as a serious candidate, which Geogeer lacks now and always will lack.
NOTA: It is a disservice to the site, and its members, for the campaigns themselves to decide which other are worthy of entry into the debate. Such an action is equivalent to an entitled oligarchy.

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 12:28:15 AM
Just finished reading all this. Thanks for all the hard work Ragnar, this was very well put together, and interesting to gauge the different personalities of all the candidates.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 12:35:59 AM
Excellent job organizing this mess of an election cycle

I can finally have a good, clear measure of the candidates without bias

bueno trabajo -Spanish

quel moota -Quenya (high elven)

aaaaahnr raaaaaahhgh -Wookie
Sam7411
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 12:47:38 AM
My little observations of each candidates attitudes

Imabench basically acted with the same nonchalance to the "status quo" and in dismissing the other candidates
Geogeer(NOTA) was by far the most composed, if not a bit aloof, in his responses
Harder seemed to have put the least amount of thought into it, sometimes his answers compromised of only two words
DK had provided decently normal observations
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 12:48:44 AM
"Concise opinion of DK's campaign?

Harder: Lol."

I love you.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz

"No aspect of your facial structure suggests Filipino descent."
~ YYW
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 1:55:50 AM
Useful thread.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 1:58:44 AM
At 5/26/2016 12:48:44 AM, ShabShoral wrote:
"Concise opinion of DK's campaign?

Harder: Lol."

I love you.

I love you too.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 1:59:31 AM
At 5/26/2016 12:02:05 AM, Ragnar wrote:
#SaveTheSite

This is absolutely not from DK's campaign -- it was *copied* from Imabench. It's from Imabench's campaign.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 2:06:38 AM
Ima: Further improving RFD quality would further drive down votes, which is already at historically low rates to begin with. I'm not campaigning on any initiative to improve RFD quality, but any member who has an idea they want to implement can have it voted on in a DDO Convention.

lol, improving RFD *standards* would do that, not teaching people how to vote better. Imabench completely misunderstood this question.

NOTA: By not making it so stringent by default. If you make voting too difficult you won't get people involved. Voting is like debating, you learn and get better as you do it. If you intimidate people out of it right from the start, they won't improve. If you are a good voter, do a good job. People will observe and learn. They will contact you about learning to vote better. In my opinion DDO is not meant to be a place of snobbery wherein it becomes elitist in nature. Different people want different things out of the site. Let them get what they want out of it, and if they like it they will become more involved.

This is reasonable.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 2:16:04 AM
At 5/26/2016 2:06:38 AM, tejretics wrote:

lol, improving RFD *standards* would do that, not teaching people how to vote better. Imabench completely misunderstood this question.

The question was "How would you improve the general RFD quality level on the site?", my answer was I don't want to try to improve RFD quality since the only real way to do that would be to raise standards for voted even higher, which in turn would push down vote quantity even further

This is reasonable.

I disagree
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 2:16:27 AM

Boy... Wait to you read the Voting Reform thread I wrote up a day ago.

This is reasonable.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 2:19:03 AM
At 5/26/2016 1:59:31 AM, tejretics wrote:
#SaveTheSite

This is absolutely not from DK's campaign -- it was *copied* from Imabench. It's from Imabench's campaign.

It was something all of our supporters started doing (I presume they took it from Imabench), so I went with it. Prior, #SaveThePresidency was our only logo.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 2:31:14 AM
At 5/26/2016 12:03:36 AM, Ragnar wrote:
Additional Question you feel all candidates should be asked?
DK: Does your history show any evidence of your ability to lead a program, or many programs at once?
Ima: Q = How would you rate Bsh as a President?
NOTA: Why are the other campaigns unwilling to push for an all candidate debate?
Harder: I have no suggestions.

How would you rate Bsh as a President?
DK: B+
Ima: B-
NOTA: A- for effort and conviction. ... C+ for results. The site feels smothering these days.
Harder: B+

Does your history show any evidence of your ability to lead a program, or many programs at once?
DK: My history with the Voter's Union, Census Debate, Voting Squad, Supreme Council of Determination, several popular FATE games (which requires 300+ pm's a day and a lot of management), the Beginner's Tournament, the DDODCL, Bsh's Administration, Bsh's Mentorship Program, the Wiki Affairs program, Fanfictions, Die Stimme, Adam_Godzilla"s Fanfic Writing Group, Juggle's very own experimental Poll Moderation program, Pope of the Church of NAC, a number of Voting Reforms, a current member of Airmax"s Community Outreach Program, and many more, prove I can host, juggle, and succeed at MANY programs, often at the same time.
Ima: I ran the Weekly Stupid for months on end, making it one of the most popular individual efforts anyone ever put into the site. I helped establish the official site Hall of Fame by using my own relations with the mods to create it rather than try to run for president on a sham promise to create it. I made fanfictions an aspect of the site and it became so popular that they had to be moved to the entertainment forum because so many people participated in the idea..... I invented a literal religion on the site called the Church of NAC that my fellow opponents freely participated in. I'm not running to lead a program or create a program, but my history is full of evidence that I can take the lead on something and make it very popular across the site.
NOTA: No. However my platform doesn't require me to lead any programs. Under my platform the presidency would be replaced with an office that has limited and specified duties, all of which can be easily completed by any member.

Why are the [non-NOTA] campaigns unwilling to push for an all candidate debate?
DK: I'm not opposed to a 4-way debate. However, it's his job to get his campaign recognized. I won't host a 4-way debate to get his campaign attention, he has to do that. If he hosts a debate, I'll be there.
Ima: I'm not pushing for an all candidate debate because not all campaigns deserve to be given equal spotlight and treatment as actual legitimate campaigns.... Anyone who remembers the GOP debates in the 2016 election knows that Bobby Jindal and Lindsey Graham had no business being included in the main debates even though they were candidates who were running..... Only serious campaigns that can show they are competitive in the election should be in a debate for the site presidency. ... Geogeer is not a serious candidate with substantial support. Rosalie and Wylted never had a base to show they had any chance at all, and neither Jedi7 nor Seventh Professor are real candidates to begin with even though they are included in TBR's poll. The fact that you are simply running does not make someone a worthy campaign or a worthy candidate, you need to have a sensible platform and a substantial amount of support to be treated as a serious candidate, which Geogeer lacks now and always will lack.
NOTA: It is a disservice to the site, and its members, for the campaigns themselves to decide which other are worthy of entry into the debate. Such an action is equivalent to an entitled oligarchy.
Thanks for taking the time to write this :) It is really helpful to be able to compare the candidates issue for issue. You did a great job.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 2:44:40 AM
At 5/26/2016 2:16:04 AM, imabench wrote:

The question was "How would you improve the general RFD quality level on the site?", my answer was I don't want to try to improve RFD quality since the only real way to do that would be to raise standards for voted even higher, which in turn would push down vote quantity even further

The highlighted part is wrong. We can teach people how to vote well, and teach them to produce good - as opposed to merely sufficient - votes.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 3:06:36 AM
At 5/26/2016 2:44:40 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 5/26/2016 2:16:04 AM, imabench wrote:

The highlighted part is wrong. We can teach people how to vote well, and teach them to produce good - as opposed to merely sufficient - votes.

I don't think 'teaching' people to become better voters would be effective at all in improving RFD quality.... You'd only be able to reach a fraction of people who even vote, others who may be targeted to be taught might not even want to change their ways since they think they are good enough, and those who do go through teaching may not even stay in the site for very long or vote on many debates either..... Offering lessons simply isn't practical on here
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 3:07:36 AM
At 5/26/2016 3:06:36 AM, imabench wrote:
I don't think 'teaching' people to become better voters would be effective at all in improving RFD quality.... You'd only be able to reach a fraction of people who even vote, others who may be targeted to be taught might not even want to change their ways since they think they are good enough, and those who do go through teaching may not even stay in the site for very long or vote on many debates either..... Offering lessons simply isn't practical on here

I was a terrible voter [though my votes met the sufficiency standard]. I was taught to become better. I'm not a terrible voter anymore.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 3:36:00 PM

This is reasonable.

Thanks!
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 3:53:40 PM
The following is a comparative list of the most popular candidates (and anti-candidates), by order of polled popularity.

Thanks again for doing this!
The-Voice-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 4:36:29 PM
It is nice to see that someone could make sense out of this election mess. Thanks for doing this!
"You're more of a fluentic fail doer who sometimes does a doo dah with a diggity ding, managing to push open doors that weren't meant to be opened, only to find that there's no floor, so you instead become spiderman and crawl on the walls." -Vaarka

I'm Rick Harrison and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss, and in 23 years I've learned one thing. You never know what is gonna come through that door
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2016 5:18:37 PM
At 5/26/2016 4:36:29 PM, The-Voice-of-Truth wrote:
It is nice to see that someone could make sense out of this election mess. Thanks for doing this!

I don't think this wholly makes sense of it in itself, but it should be a great tool for voters to make an informed decision.

There are various direct follow up questions that would be interesting, but most of them would apply exclusively to one candidate or another, thus would distract from the nature of the direct comparison.

One thing I will say, is I hope this basic system can be repeated for future impasses here (elections/conventions/whatever).

Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 4:20:51 PM
Kind of weird, but I stumbled across an endorsement I gave a few elections back, and included in it was a template for something similar to this. Also the work of Bsh1 and debatability which certainly inspired this thread.

Whomever I vote for, I hope one piece of advice I gave then is used by everyone this election: "...please take the time to read their platforms, and consider the ups and downs to each." http://www.debate.org...

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 10:26:11 PM
At 5/26/2016 12:02:29 AM, Ragnar wrote:
DK: They are a terrible group who exploit the communities they buy out. While it's worthwhile to try contacting them, the Presidency needs to focus elsewhere.
NOTA: They are a self interested corporation. It is unfortunate that they do not consider this site to be a high priority.
Harder: They probably have bigger issues to deal with. I think they should just sell the site, but w/e.

Wait, is this a serious answer?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 12:04:31 PM
At 5/28/2016 10:26:11 PM, lannan13 wrote:

That would be my opinion of any company who buys a website with a community that loves it, and then ignores the community while the website fills with glitches and bugs. Of course, they do still own the place, so it's in the better interest of the site to work with them.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 2:06:34 PM
At 5/29/2016 12:04:31 PM, donald.keller wrote:
At 5/28/2016 10:26:11 PM, lannan13 wrote:

That would be my opinion of any company who buys a website with a community that loves it, and then ignores the community while the website fills with glitches and bugs. Of course, they do still own the place, so it's in the better interest of the site to work with them.

I think that's a bit extreme don't you think?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 12:37:53 AM
I've gotten a couple messages from other campaigns... The election is still a ways away, but I am not going to list every single candidate. The top four is plenty. Supplant one of them in polled popularity, then message me.

Current polling looks like it has not changed since this went up (I could be wrong). Expected votes are as follows: DK 39%, Ima 29%, NOTA 15%, Harder 10%, and 7% spread between the other declared candidates (including one who dropped out).

Data taken from (doesn't seem to work in Chrome): https://script.google.com...

Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 3:24:23 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Unless I'm mistaken, the election is actually getting near (two weeks). Are there any questions people feel would be beneficial to be added to this comparison?

Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2016 4:30:57 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Due to inactivity, the NOTA campaign has been removed from the Google Doc, which in turn allowed it to be condensed from 12 pages to 7. https://docs.google.com...

Should he return, it will take me about 30 seconds to reinstate his entry.

Any last minute candidates are of course welcome to submit their answers here. If warranted I will add the entries to the doc (this effort is non-partisan, but the back and forth communication with four people took about a week, so it's unlikely anyone will be added to the document).