Jump to topic:

Voters Union Recruitment Thread for June

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 4:18:39 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
If you"ve been around the site for a while, and have had note-worthy debates, you"ve probably had some encounter with the notorious Voter"s Union group. The Voters Union is a group of dedicated site members that want to increase not only the quantity of good voting, but also the standards of voting around the website.

The Voters Union was established by DK and is the longest running (and by extension) most successful Voting Program on the site right now, due to the hard committed work put in by the members. These are members who care about debating and want to improve the quality of feedback given on those debates. You"ve probably at some point or another experienced bad voting on a debate you"ve spent a lot of work on. This can be irritating because you aren"t the only one effected by this, so is your opponent. The point of debating should be getting quality feedback for your time, and that is an aim we want to improve on DDO.

While our members do our absolute best to vote on every debate (and generally we do), we have to stretch the effort out between the few of our most dedicated members we have. If you"ve ever had an experience of bad voting, or lack of voting, then you too have been a victim of votes that simply "pass the standards". Unfortunately, the only way to really fix the problem is to help contribute to fixing it yourself, and trust me, in this community what goes around comes around. Being a quality voter will earn you a prestige of respect that will make members more likely to see a debate of yours and be willing to vote on it, and leave a good vote because they have in turn have seen you care enough to contribute in a similar manner.

We need you. We will aim to assist you in both writing better quality RFD"s, and we will make sure that your votes are getting recognition for their assistance to the debaters. The VU offers incentives in a point based system, where members can earn points that will result in a monthly prize, as well as a secondary prize that is awarded via raffle by DK. At the end of the day, the true purpose of the program is to help create a concise and working effort to make the site a better place. If you are interested in helping the site grow, please post your interest in becoming a member of the Union.

Or even if you have a good debate in need of votes, contact Tej, myself, or DK and we will do our best to make sure quality debates are added to the next month"s list.

Current VU Members are:
TUF
Coletrain
BOT
Hayd
DK
Famous
NothingSpecial
Tejretics
Firewings
Bob13
Midnight
MagicAintReal
Lannan13
Solon
Skyleach
Rosalie
Kescarte
Danielle
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 4:31:07 PM
We have our's also. Hope both of our's works well.

http://www.debate.org...
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 4:37:30 PM
At 5/27/2016 4:18:39 PM, TUF wrote:
If you"ve been around the site for a while, and have had note-worthy debates, you"ve probably had some encounter with the notorious Voter"s Union group. The Voters Union is a group of dedicated site members that want to increase not only the quantity of good voting, but also the standards of voting around the website.

The Voters Union was established by DK and is the longest running (and by extension) most successful Voting Program on the site right now, due to the hard committed work put in by the members. These are members who care about debating and want to improve the quality of feedback given on those debates. You"ve probably at some point or another experienced bad voting on a debate you"ve spent a lot of work on. This can be irritating because you aren"t the only one effected by this, so is your opponent. The point of debating should be getting quality feedback for your time, and that is an aim we want to improve on DDO.

While our members do our absolute best to vote on every debate (and generally we do), we have to stretch the effort out between the few of our most dedicated members we have. If you"ve ever had an experience of bad voting, or lack of voting, then you too have been a victim of votes that simply "pass the standards". Unfortunately, the only way to really fix the problem is to help contribute to fixing it yourself, and trust me, in this community what goes around comes around. Being a quality voter will earn you a prestige of respect that will make members more likely to see a debate of yours and be willing to vote on it, and leave a good vote because they have in turn have seen you care enough to contribute in a similar manner.

We need you. We will aim to assist you in both writing better quality RFD"s, and we will make sure that your votes are getting recognition for their assistance to the debaters. The VU offers incentives in a point based system, where members can earn points that will result in a monthly prize, as well as a secondary prize that is awarded via raffle by DK. At the end of the day, the true purpose of the program is to help create a concise and working effort to make the site a better place. If you are interested in helping the site grow, please post your interest in becoming a member of the Union.

Or even if you have a good debate in need of votes, contact Tej, myself, or DK and we will do our best to make sure quality debates are added to the next month"s list.

Current VU Members are:
TUF
Coletrain
BOT
Hayd
DK
Famous
NothingSpecial
Tejretics
Firewings
Bob13
Midnight
MagicAintReal
Lannan13
Solon
Skyleach
Rosalie
Kescarte
Danielle

What the heck, I suppose I will join.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 4:57:45 PM
At 5/27/2016 4:37:30 PM, kasmic wrote:

Current VU Members are:
TUF
Coletrain
BOT
Hayd
DK
Famous
NothingSpecial
Tejretics
Firewings
Bob13
Midnight
MagicAintReal
Lannan13
Solon
Skyleach
Rosalie
Kescarte
Danielle

What the heck, I suppose I will join.

You can join the Voting Team next month.

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

ballpit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 5:00:11 PM

Current VU Members are:
TUF
Coletrain
BOT
Hayd
DK
Famous
NothingSpecial
Tejretics
Firewings
Bob13
Midnight
MagicAintReal
Lannan13
Solon
Skyleach
Rosalie
Kescarte
Danielle

Sign me up boys always looking to learn to do something better than I already do.
This user is an Angel and will answer any DDO-related questions to the best of their ability. PM for help, or post in the Welcome Thread.
Before you do anything:
http://www.debate.org......
Welcome Thread:
New Members Read Me:
Argument Bingo
http://imgur.com......
I avoid fights with gay people because even when you win you lose. - Wylted
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 5:34:42 PM

Current VU Members are:
TUF
Coletrain
BOT
Hayd
DK
Famous
NothingSpecial
Tejretics
Firewings
Bob13
Midnight
MagicAintReal
Lannan13
Solon
Skyleach
Rosalie
Kescarte
Danielle

You know what, I'd be interested.
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 5:36:59 PM
At 5/27/2016 5:34:42 PM, missbailey8 wrote:

Sweet, we'd be glad to have you :)
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 5:41:24 PM
At 5/27/2016 5:36:59 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/27/2016 5:34:42 PM, missbailey8 wrote:

Sweet, we'd be glad to have you :)
Thanks! :)
~missbailey8~

-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
MagicAintReal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 6:22:29 PM

You can't vote on conduct or S&G like you did in my debate.
We need quality votes, not BS retaliatory votes that ONLY vote conduct like the one you voted here:
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 8:11:32 PM
At 5/27/2016 6:22:29 PM, MagicAintReal wrote:

We need quality votes, not BS retaliatory votes that ONLY vote conduct like the one you voted here:
That was one month ago. The rule on only voting conduct wasn't established by then. You insulted your opponent. Is that not a sufficient reason to vote for conduct?
~missbailey8~

-Fatihah

The Clown Queen of DDO
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 8:18:56 PM
At 5/27/2016 8:11:32 PM, missbailey8 wrote:
At 5/27/2016 6:22:29 PM, MagicAintReal wrote:

That was one month ago. The rule on only voting conduct wasn't established by then. You insulted your opponent. Is that not a sufficient reason to vote for conduct?

In the voter's union voting on anything but arguments / sources is a violation of the rules. So what he's saying is that there's no point in you signing up to the VU if you are going to make those kind of votes because you'll just be removed from it if you do that.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
MagicAintReal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 8:53:18 PM
In the voter's union voting on anything but arguments / sources is a violation of the rules. So what he's saying is that there's no point in you signing up to the VU if you are going to make those kind of votes because you'll just be removed from it if you do that.

Thank you, that's exactly what I was going to type.
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 9:53:30 PM

The Voters Union was established by DK and is the longest running (and by extension) most successful Voting Program on the site right now, due to the hard committed work put in by the members.

Our team is trying also. Only one debate is sent in 6 hours :(... Next month, I hope aroudn 5 new members will join the program.

These are members who care about debating and want to improve the quality of feedback given on those debates. You"ve probably at some point or another experienced bad voting on a debate you"ve spent a lot of work on. This can be irritating because you aren"t the only one effected by this, so is your opponent. The point of debating should be getting quality feedback for your time, and that is an aim we want to improve on DDO.

Current VU Members are:
TUF
Coletrain
BOT
Hayd
DK
Famous
NothingSpecial
Tejretics
Firewings
Bob13
Midnight
MagicAintReal
Lannan13
Solon
Skyleach
Rosalie
Kescarte
Danielle

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 9:55:04 PM

The Voters Union was established by DK and is the longest running (and by extension) most successful Voting Program on the site right now, due to the hard committed work put in by the members.

Now we have 3 debates. :D

These are members who care about debating and want to improve the quality of feedback given on those debates. You"ve probably at some point or another experienced bad voting on a debate you"ve spent a lot of work on. This can be irritating because you aren"t the only one effected by this, so is your opponent. The point of debating should be getting quality feedback for your time, and that is an aim we want to improve on DDO.

Current VU Members are:
TUF
Coletrain
BOT
Hayd
DK
Famous
NothingSpecial
Tejretics
Firewings
Bob13
Midnight
MagicAintReal
Lannan13
Solon
Skyleach
Rosalie
Kescarte
Danielle

missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2016 10:04:42 PM
At 5/27/2016 8:53:18 PM, MagicAintReal wrote:

I'm aware of this and I'd be willing to abide by these rules if I were to be accepted in the Voters Union.
~missbailey8~

-Fatihah

The Clown Queen of DDO
MagicAintReal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 12:39:15 AM
At 5/27/2016 10:04:42 PM, missbailey8 wrote:

I'm aware of this and I'd be willing to abide by these rules if I were to be accepted in the Voters Union.

I'm cool with you joining.
Do you admit that *only* voting on conduct is kind of a dick move?
Not that you joining is contingent on this at all, but be honest.
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 1:22:11 AM
At 5/28/2016 12:39:15 AM, MagicAintReal wrote:
At 5/27/2016 10:04:42 PM, missbailey8 wrote:

I'm cool with you joining.
Do you admit that *only* voting on conduct is kind of a dick move?
Not that you joining is contingent on this at all, but be honest.

Yes, I'll admit now, only voting conduct is a d*ck move. I should be analyzing the arguments and what each debater brings to the table in terms of evidence brought to the topic. While conduct is an important part to the debate, the arguments make the debate worthwhile.
~missbailey8~

-Fatihah

The Clown Queen of DDO
MagicAintReal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 12:11:10 PM
Yes, I'll admit now, only voting conduct is a d*ck move. I should be analyzing the arguments and what each debater brings to the table in terms of evidence brought to the topic. While conduct is an important part to the debate, the arguments make the debate worthwhile.

Word.
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 3:50:25 PM
I've been hesitant before, but this does not resemble the vote alliance type to which I am opposed. Sign me up.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2016 6:24:15 PM
At 5/28/2016 3:50:25 PM, Ragnar wrote:
I've been hesitant before, but this does not resemble the vote alliance type to which I am opposed. Sign me up.

Woot! Glad to have you!
NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 1:29:40 PM

What is the vote alliance type you are opposed to? I'm curious
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 1:40:07 PM
Anyone else want to sign up before next months doc goes goes out?
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2016 5:51:39 PM
At 5/29/2016 1:29:40 PM, NothingSpecial99 wrote:

What is the vote alliance type you are opposed to? I'm curious

Polarized ones. Such as people who only vote in each other's favor and never against each other (or they dislike someone, so vote only against them, never for them).

I talked about it at length awhile ago, and it was one of the primary causes of me leaving the site for a bit. http://www.debate.org...
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...