DDO primaries

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 5:30:18 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
PROPOSAL

I propose that we have a "DDO presidential primary." Since there are two fundamental movements -- pro-presidency and con-presidency -- and I'm sure many of the 1harder voters would rather DK become President than the Presidency be abolished, and many of the DK voters would rather 1harder become President than the Presidency be abolished, and the same with all other pro-Presidency campaigns.

The problem for people who are pro-Presidency is that multiple strong pro-Presidency campaigns will split the vote and, thus, give Imabench's campaign the victory. As such, I offer the following proposal: create a DDO primary, where people initially vote on whom they want representing the pro-Presidency side, and then have the DDO election between the Imabench campaign and whomever is there representing the pro-Presidency side.

This is NOT an official referendum, but to know the site's opinion, please vote "Yay" if you support this, and "Nay" if you don't support this -- thank you.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 5:30:26 AM
Yay
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
someloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 5:36:24 AM
Or we could go with STV
Ego sum qui sum. Deus lo vult.

"America is ungovernable; those who served the revolution have plowed the sea." - Simon Bolivar

"A healthy nation is as unconscious of its nationality as a healthy man of his bones. But if you break a nation's nationality it will think of nothing else but getting it set again." - George Bernard Shaw
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 5:37:23 AM
At 5/31/2016 5:30:18 AM, tejretics wrote:
PROPOSAL

I propose that we have a "DDO presidential primary." Since there are two fundamental movements -- pro-presidency and con-presidency -- and I'm sure many of the 1harder voters would rather DK become President than the Presidency be abolished, and many of the DK voters would rather 1harder become President than the Presidency be abolished, and the same with all other pro-Presidency campaigns.

The problem for people who are pro-Presidency is that multiple strong pro-Presidency campaigns will split the vote and, thus, give Imabench's campaign the victory. As such, I offer the following proposal: create a DDO primary, where people initially vote on whom they want representing the pro-Presidency side, and then have the DDO election between the Imabench campaign and whomever is there representing the pro-Presidency side.

This is NOT an official referendum, but to know the site's opinion, please vote "Yay" if you support this, and "Nay" if you don't support this -- thank you.

I think airmax said something like this happened before because there were so many candidates. You should talk to him about it.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 5:39:03 AM
PROPOSAL

What about NOTA?
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 5:40:19 AM
At 5/31/2016 5:39:03 AM, Emmarie wrote:
What about NOTA?

NOTA falls under pro-presidency campaigns, I guess.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 5:44:52 AM
At 5/31/2016 5:40:19 AM, tejretics wrote:
What about NOTA?

On the contrary, NOTA is about abolishment, but with an alternative as a replacement instead of nothing at all.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 5:44:57 AM
What about NOTA?

He claims to be an abolitionist though. And Imabench's convention system is going to need someone to lead the conventions - just not called a president I guess. I think these attempts to get all pro presidency supporters behind one platform is an attempt to give Imabench a greater shot a victory.

Nay
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 5:47:52 AM
At 5/31/2016 5:44:52 AM, Geogeer wrote:
What about NOTA?

On the contrary, NOTA is about abolishment, but with an alternative as a replacement instead of nothing at all.

Okay, then it won't be considered under this.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 5:48:48 AM
At 5/31/2016 5:44:57 AM, Emmarie wrote:
He claims to be an abolitionist though. And Imabench's convention system is going to need someone to lead the conventions - just not called a president I guess. I think these attempts to get all pro presidency supporters behind one platform is an attempt to give Imabench a greater shot a victory.

That makes no sense -- if pro-presidency supporters all come together under one platform, then the pro-presidency votes won't be split, so it will give pro-presidency campaigns a fair chance.
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 5:52:23 AM
At 5/31/2016 5:47:52 AM, tejretics wrote:
What about NOTA?

Nor should it be ignored, because theoretically the combined anti-president vote is more substantial than you are making it out to be.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 6:06:12 AM
At 5/31/2016 5:52:23 AM, Geogeer wrote:
What about NOTA?

Nor should it be ignored, because theoretically the combined anti-president vote is more substantial than you are making it out to be.

It's being ignored because the only thing you are saying about it is that its being ignored. It's not the other candidate's job to get attention to your platform for you. You've gotta do that yourself.

When was the last time you made an actual thread about your platform? One explaining the role of the monarch, or one that further explains the way you challenge an opponent?

Stop accusing your opponents of not publicizing your platform. Post a thread, PM people, take responsibility for your campaign.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Geogeer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 6:24:03 AM
At 5/31/2016 6:06:12 AM, donald.keller wrote:
At 5/31/2016 5:52:23 AM, Geogeer wrote:
What about NOTA?

It's being ignored because the only thing you are saying about it is that its being ignored. It's not the other candidate's job to get attention to your platform for you. You've gotta do that yourself.

I fully realize that. I have unfortunately been extremely busy at work for the past 2 weeks - this is why I'm at work posting at midnight as a break. I'm not asking anyone to promote my campaign for me. What I am asking is equal treatment on not being excluded - especially when I'm polling as well or better than one of the "main" campaigns and have gained more voters in the past two weeks than any other campaign despite my inability to post frequently.

My backlog at work should resolve itself in the next couple of days, and I will have more time to engage in the discussion.

When was the last time you made an actual thread about your platform? One explaining the role of the monarch, or one that further explains the way you challenge an opponent?

First of all the original posting was very clear about the role of the monarch and how to challenge. There is additional commentary on the way, however I always work 7 days a week, and right now I'm easily putting in over 70 hours a week and what little time is left I have been spending with my wife and kids. I realize that this is of no importance to the site and the election, however the lack of activity has been due to necessary prioritization and not an inability to further expound on the benefits of NOTA vs. other campaigns.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 6:25:14 AM
Nay
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 11:06:58 AM
At 5/31/2016 5:48:48 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 5/31/2016 5:44:57 AM, Emmarie wrote:

That makes no sense -- if pro-presidency supporters all come together under one platform, then the pro-presidency votes won't be split, so it will give pro-presidency campaigns a fair chance.

No it changes the stats. With 3 candidates one would need 34% of the vote to win. With 2 candidates 50%, so any candidate actually stands a greater chance of winning with 3 candidates running. Some voters, like me, may not be pro/ con presidency, but I'm hoping to see how divisions are ironed out up until the election to vote for the candidate who I think will be most beneficial to the site, whether as president or to abolish it.

I typed this idea to Georgeer. Tell me what you think. It may be a way to solve the idea about needing a primary as well.

The amount of writing from the candidates alone thus far is well thought out with good intentions. I wonder if there would be a way for candidates to take the election itself to a debate tournament style.

Let's say for instance you and Imabench would copy and paste main aspects of your platform on a 3 round debate, and DK and Harder would do the same. Winners would be chosen by voters and it would ensure that voters have read the platforms. The rules about the length of an RFD would need to be predetermined for all candidates. The winners of the first round would go on to a final debate between a pro presidency candidate as well as a abolitionist. And the process would repeat.

Or the first debates could be you against harder and DK against Imabench. This way it would be possible to have 2 abolitionists in the final tournament round, two pro presidentials, or one of each.

The reason that I'm still so undecided is that I really do believe that everyone involved in running for the presidency has something to offer and is sincere.
NothingSpecial99
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 11:29:51 AM
Yay
"Check your facts, not your privilege" - Christina Hoff Summers

If you go to jail for Tax Evasion, you're living off of Taxes as a result of not paying Taxes

"Facts don't care about your feelings" - Ben Shapiro
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 1:13:20 PM
PROPOSAL

Would this just be for this election only, or for all presidential elections?... We dont know what 'factions' there will be in future elections since even the abolitionist movement itself has only been round for about a year, so having primary's could end up being completely unneccessary and even undemocratic in the future.....

I would actually be okay with having one in this election though just out of sheer curiosity. It would certainly work out nicely since we basically have a 2 party system to apply it to (Abolitionists and Pro-Presidency)
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 1:20:38 PM
Wait, wait, no, wait. Hang on.....

How would we prevent voters from opposing camps from voting for the weaker candidate in the opposing primary? If a primary were set up for abolitionist campaigns and pro-presidency campaigns, then there wouldnt be any way to prevent abolitionist voters from voting for the weakest pro-president campaign in the pro-prsident primary, and no way to prevent pro-presidency voters from voting for the weakest abolitionist campaign in the abolitionist primary.....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 1:36:56 PM
At 5/31/2016 1:20:38 PM, imabench wrote:

How would we prevent voters from opposing camps from voting for the weaker candidate in the opposing primary? If a primary were set up for abolitionist campaigns and pro-presidency campaigns, then there wouldnt be any way to prevent abolitionist voters from voting for the weakest pro-president campaign in the pro-prsident primary, and no way to prevent pro-presidency voters from voting for the weakest abolitionist campaign in the abolitionist primary.....

While that's definitely possible, I am not sure if it's realistic behavior for voters. Then again, I don't know, maybe people would do that. Maybe we can do it kind of like real life (where you register for a party and can only vote for the party you registered for) but rather than "registering" people we just don't allow people to vote twice. IE if you voted for a pro-presidency candidate, you couldn't also just go an try to upvote Geogeer as an abolitionist.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 1:40:42 PM
At 5/31/2016 1:13:20 PM, imabench wrote:
I would actually be okay with having one in this election though just out of sheer curiosity. It would certainly work out nicely since we basically have a 2 party system to apply it to (Abolitionists and Pro-Presidency)

I am kind of surprised and impressed actually that you are even open to this as an option, considering it ultimately hurts you. Pro-presidency votes being split between harder and DK just mean that many more wasted votes for pro-presidency if the other win. Though it seems consistent with what you've said in the past that you ultimately just want to see where people stand; so I respect that.
Omniscient_Debater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 1:42:46 PM
Despite my limited knowledge on this, I would agree that splitting votes would be like having Trump face against both Hillary and Sanders for the presidential election.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 1:52:00 PM
At 5/31/2016 1:36:56 PM, TUF wrote:

While that's definitely possible, I am not sure if it's realistic behavior for voters. Then again, I don't know, maybe people would do that.

If someone is hypothetically a very big pro-presidency supporter, then they have all the incentive in the world to vote for geogeer in the abolitionist campaign since he is by far the weaker candidate and would be easier to beat in a 1v1 primary. I could definitely see it happening.

Maybe we can do it kind of like real life (where you register for a party and can only vote for the party you registered for) but rather than "registering" people we just don't allow people to vote twice. IE if you voted for a pro-presidency candidate, you couldn't also just go an try to upvote Geogeer as an abolitionist.

That would work in a close contest, but the problem is that this isnt a close contest (on the abolitionist side).... With my gigantic lead over Geogeer to begin with, many of my normal supporters could go wreck havoc on the pro-presidency primary, since I have the abolitionist primary locked up by a large margin where I coudl actually afford it if my supporters didnt show up to support me in the contest, and instead decided to try to swing the pro-presidency primary....

Your idea would prevent pro-presidency voters from coming to the abolitionist primary, since DK and 1harder are pretty close in support as far as I can tell and need all the support they can get to beat the other, but the gap between me and Geogeer is so massive that I would only need half my voter base to show up and support me in the abolitionist primary and still win so that the other half could go f*ck up the other primary.

These are abolitionist voters we are talking about here, who are the history of trying to steal elections from other legit campaigns (mikal, wylted).... I sure as sh*t cannot promise that my own voters will not go and mess with the other primary, and its actually bound to happen given how much of a lead I have over Geogeer as well

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 1:55:31 PM
At 5/31/2016 1:40:42 PM, TUF wrote:
At 5/31/2016 1:13:20 PM, imabench wrote:

I am kind of surprised and impressed actually that you are even open to this as an option, considering it ultimately hurts you. Pro-presidency votes being split between harder and DK just mean that many more wasted votes for pro-presidency if the other win. Though it seems consistent with what you've said in the past that you ultimately just want to see where people stand; so I respect that.

Its like ive said, if I dont win fair and square then I wont be able to implement my system should I actually win the election, and the next election/convention would just be another damn referendum on having the presidency or not..... I do want this to be 1v1 with pro-presidency voters against abolitionist voters, but having a primary like the one being proposed could allow for abolitionists to hijack the pro-presidency side and force the pro-presidency supporters to adopt the (in the abolitionists' opinion) the weaker candidate

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 1:56:19 PM
At 5/31/2016 1:42:46 PM, Omniscient_Debater wrote:
Despite my limited knowledge on this, I would agree that splitting votes would be like having Trump face against both Hillary and Sanders for the presidential election.

I love how everyone is already on board with the idea that I am the Trump in this election XD

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 1:58:17 PM
At 5/31/2016 1:52:00 PM, imabench wrote:
At 5/31/2016 1:36:56 PM, TUF wrote:

While that's definitely possible, I am not sure if it's realistic behavior for voters. Then again, I don't know, maybe people would do that.

If someone is hypothetically a very big pro-presidency supporter, then they have all the incentive in the world to vote for geogeer in the abolitionist campaign since he is by far the weaker candidate and would be easier to beat in a 1v1 *general election*. I could definitely see it happening.

Fixed. Sorry.

Maybe we can do it kind of like real life (where you register for a party and can only vote for the party you registered for) but rather than "registering" people we just don't allow people to vote twice. IE if you voted for a pro-presidency candidate, you couldn't also just go an try to upvote Geogeer as an abolitionist.

That would work in a close contest, but the problem is that this isnt a close contest (on the abolitionist side).... With my gigantic lead over Geogeer to begin with, many of my normal supporters could go wreck havoc on the pro-presidency primary, since I have the abolitionist primary locked up by a large margin where I coudl actually afford it if my supporters didnt show up to support me in the contest, and instead decided to try to swing the pro-presidency primary....

Your idea would prevent pro-presidency voters from coming to the abolitionist primary, since DK and 1harder are pretty close in support as far as I can tell and need all the support they can get to beat the other, but the gap between me and Geogeer is so massive that I would only need half my voter base to show up and support me in the abolitionist primary and still win so that the other half could go f*ck up the other primary.

These are abolitionist voters we are talking about here, who are the history of trying to steal elections from other legit campaigns (mikal, wylted).... I sure as sh*t cannot promise that my own voters will not go and mess with the other primary, and its actually bound to happen given how much of a lead I have over Geogeer as well

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 2:10:24 PM
At 5/31/2016 1:52:00 PM, imabench wrote:

While I am still ultimately unconvinced that people would actually vote this way (or enough of them to make this an issue at least), you do have a point.
So maybe requiring people to "register" would be the only way to combat that. IE if someone votes for a abolitionist in the Primary, they also have to vote abolitionist in the main election. Basically we"d have to have someone keep track of voters to make sure they don"t flip flop in the main election. I don"t think it would be too big of a deal for someone to just keep track of all the names of the voters and their primary position, and just require them to vote for whatever party they already voted for in the primary.
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2016 2:48:49 PM

I actually thought of that; maybe say "if you vote in this primary, any votes for candidates not standing in this primary will be disqualified?"