Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

US needs a parking lot revolution

angryseagull1
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 5:44:57 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
We have 800 million parking spots and two thirds of them are empty. They cover an area larger than Delaware and Rhode island combined. Why are we wasting so much valuable land on something that has no use most of the time. Because we have a dysfunctional system of cars-come-first and everything else is not important, even if buildings are running out of space. This is one of our biggest inefficient habits that we don't think about. So if so much land is wasted for no use, why not make them something beautiful, green and a somewhat enjoyable place to be. There is no reason not to. Here are some ideas that seem kind of attractive. We could plant more trees in them because most don't have any. Even better, we could build a roof over them and put lots of solar panels there or even build a community garden or anything cool. Oh and having a roof over the lots will make them more like 70 instead of 110 degrees. Just making them something where people can somewhat enjoy themselves instead of a depressing eyesore is a big step. Turning always empty lots into community gardens seems like a pretty good idea. Mass parking lots are bad for the environment and are a major source of runoff and pollution. In an age of climate change and going as green as possible, this seems to make too much sense. Cost too much? Well its a lot less than making asphalt wastelands. We need to have a parking lot revolution because why not. Can you think of a reason not to do this? I cant.
Geogeer
Posts: 4,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 7:29:22 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/2/2016 5:44:57 AM, angryseagull1 wrote:
We have 800 million parking spots and two thirds of them are empty. They cover an area larger than Delaware and Rhode island combined. Why are we wasting so much valuable land on something that has no use most of the time. Because we have a dysfunctional system of cars-come-first and everything else is not important, even if buildings are running out of space. This is one of our biggest inefficient habits that we don't think about. So if so much land is wasted for no use, why not make them something beautiful, green and a somewhat enjoyable place to be. There is no reason not to. Here are some ideas that seem kind of attractive. We could plant more trees in them because most don't have any. Even better, we could build a roof over them and put lots of solar panels there or even build a community garden or anything cool. Oh and having a roof over the lots will make them more like 70 instead of 110 degrees. Just making them something where people can somewhat enjoy themselves instead of a depressing eyesore is a big step. Turning always empty lots into community gardens seems like a pretty good idea. Mass parking lots are bad for the environment and are a major source of runoff and pollution. In an age of climate change and going as green as possible, this seems to make too much sense. Cost too much? Well its a lot less than making asphalt wastelands. We need to have a parking lot revolution because why not. Can you think of a reason not to do this? I cant.

Building a roof over a parking lot for solar panels would never pay for itself. The strength requirements of the structure for a green space on top would probably be more expensive than many of the buildings that these parking lots service.

Additionally, covered areas are more subject to crime and vagrants.

None of these ideas are implemented, because those who own the properties realize that this will cost them a great deal to implement and have negative consequences to their pocket book and the properties they own.
imabench
Posts: 21,219
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 7:39:28 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/2/2016 5:44:57 AM, angryseagull1 wrote:
We have 800 million parking spots and two thirds of them are empty.

^ This is where I figured out this post is bullsh*t

They cover an area larger than Delaware and Rhode island combined. Why are we wasting so much valuable land on something that has no use most of the time. Because we have a dysfunctional system of cars-come-first and everything else is not important, even if buildings are running out of space. This is one of our biggest inefficient habits that we don't think about. So if so much land is wasted for no use, why not make them something beautiful, green and a somewhat enjoyable place to be. There is no reason not to. Here are some ideas that seem kind of attractive. We could plant more trees in them because most don't have any. Even better, we could build a roof over them and put lots of solar panels there or even build a community garden or anything cool. Oh and having a roof over the lots will make them more like 70 instead of 110 degrees. Just making them something where people can somewhat enjoy themselves instead of a depressing eyesore is a big step. Turning always empty lots into community gardens seems like a pretty good idea. Mass parking lots are bad for the environment and are a major source of runoff and pollution. In an age of climate change and going as green as possible, this seems to make too much sense. Cost too much? Well its a lot less than making asphalt wastelands. We need to have a parking lot revolution because why not. Can you think of a reason not to do this? I cant.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
angryseagull1
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 8:02:06 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/2/2016 7:29:22 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 6/2/2016 5:44:57 AM, angryseagull1 wrote:
We have 800 million parking spots and two thirds of them are empty. They cover an area larger than Delaware and Rhode island combined. Why are we wasting so much valuable land on something that has no use most of the time. Because we have a dysfunctional system of cars-come-first and everything else is not important, even if buildings are running out of space. This is one of our biggest inefficient habits that we don't think about. So if so much land is wasted for no use, why not make them something beautiful, green and a somewhat enjoyable place to be. There is no reason not to. Here are some ideas that seem kind of attractive. We could plant more trees in them because most don't have any. Even better, we could build a roof over them and put lots of solar panels there or even build a community garden or anything cool. Oh and having a roof over the lots will make them more like 70 instead of 110 degrees. Just making them something where people can somewhat enjoy themselves instead of a depressing eyesore is a big step. Turning always empty lots into community gardens seems like a pretty good idea. Mass parking lots are bad for the environment and are a major source of runoff and pollution. In an age of climate change and going as green as possible, this seems to make too much sense. Cost too much? Well its a lot less than making asphalt wastelands. We need to have a parking lot revolution because why not. Can you think of a reason not to do this? I cant.

Building a roof over a parking lot for solar panels would never pay for itself. The strength requirements of the structure for a green space on top would probably be more expensive than many of the buildings that these parking lots service.

Additionally, covered areas are more subject to crime and vagrants.

None of these ideas are implemented, because those who own the properties realize that this will cost them a great deal to implement and have negative consequences to their pocket book and the properties they own.

@geogeer I recommend you read this ny times article http://www.nytimes.com....
Geogeer
Posts: 4,258
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 10:29:25 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/2/2016 8:02:06 PM, angryseagull1 wrote:
At 6/2/2016 7:29:22 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 6/2/2016 5:44:57 AM, angryseagull1 wrote:
We have 800 million parking spots and two thirds of them are empty. They cover an area larger than Delaware and Rhode island combined. Why are we wasting so much valuable land on something that has no use most of the time. Because we have a dysfunctional system of cars-come-first and everything else is not important, even if buildings are running out of space. This is one of our biggest inefficient habits that we don't think about. So if so much land is wasted for no use, why not make them something beautiful, green and a somewhat enjoyable place to be. There is no reason not to. Here are some ideas that seem kind of attractive. We could plant more trees in them because most don't have any. Even better, we could build a roof over them and put lots of solar panels there or even build a community garden or anything cool. Oh and having a roof over the lots will make them more like 70 instead of 110 degrees. Just making them something where people can somewhat enjoy themselves instead of a depressing eyesore is a big step. Turning always empty lots into community gardens seems like a pretty good idea. Mass parking lots are bad for the environment and are a major source of runoff and pollution. In an age of climate change and going as green as possible, this seems to make too much sense. Cost too much? Well its a lot less than making asphalt wastelands. We need to have a parking lot revolution because why not. Can you think of a reason not to do this? I cant.

Building a roof over a parking lot for solar panels would never pay for itself. The strength requirements of the structure for a green space on top would probably be more expensive than many of the buildings that these parking lots service.

Additionally, covered areas are more subject to crime and vagrants.

None of these ideas are implemented, because those who own the properties realize that this will cost them a great deal to implement and have negative consequences to their pocket book and the properties they own.

@geogeer I recommend you read this ny times article http://www.nytimes.com....

So the gist of the article is large parking lots for malls that are under-utilized or even out of business.

In Winnipeg, MN. The city decided to remove the parking requirements from buildings. The first thing that happened was that some idiot put up a condo without parking. He couldn't sell any units because the potential owners had nowhere to park their cars. So he ended up having to buy the building next door and tear it down to put in a parkade.

The rules are there for a reason. It avoids disuse of buildings because of inadequate ability to use the building. Buildings that have insufficient parking turn into slums because the better tenants have no desire to be there.
ContraDictator
Posts: 37
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2016 11:46:12 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/2/2016 5:44:57 AM, angryseagull1 wrote:
We have 800 million parking spots and two thirds of them are empty. They cover an area larger than Delaware and Rhode island combined. Why are we wasting so much valuable land on something that has no use most of the time. Because we have a dysfunctional system of cars-come-first and everything else is not important, even if buildings are running out of space. This is one of our biggest inefficient habits that we don't think about. So if so much land is wasted for no use, why not make them something beautiful, green and a somewhat enjoyable place to be. There is no reason not to. Here are some ideas that seem kind of attractive. We could plant more trees in them because most don't have any. Even better, we could build a roof over them and put lots of solar panels there or even build a community garden or anything cool. Oh and having a roof over the lots will make them more like 70 instead of 110 degrees. Just making them something where people can somewhat enjoy themselves instead of a depressing eyesore is a big step. Turning always empty lots into community gardens seems like a pretty good idea. Mass parking lots are bad for the environment and are a major source of runoff and pollution. In an age of climate change and going as green as possible, this seems to make too much sense. Cost too much? Well its a lot less than making asphalt wastelands. We need to have a parking lot revolution because why not. Can you think of a reason not to do this? I cant.

Alright, so where do we go and protest? Is there an organization of sorts?
I tend to fight any opinion, regardless of my agreement or disagreement to it. I believe to only fight opinions that you disagree with is a sign of a weak and rigid state of mind.
angryseagull1
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2016 12:00:19 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
At 6/2/2016 10:29:25 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 6/2/2016 8:02:06 PM, angryseagull1 wrote:
At 6/2/2016 7:29:22 PM, Geogeer wrote:
At 6/2/2016 5:44:57 AM, angryseagull1 wrote:
We have 800 million parking spots and two thirds of them are empty. They cover an area larger than Delaware and Rhode island combined. Why are we wasting so much valuable land on something that has no use most of the time. Because we have a dysfunctional system of cars-come-first and everything else is not important, even if buildings are running out of space. This is one of our biggest inefficient habits that we don't think about. So if so much land is wasted for no use, why not make them something beautiful, green and a somewhat enjoyable place to be. There is no reason not to. Here are some ideas that seem kind of attractive. We could plant more trees in them because most don't have any. Even better, we could build a roof over them and put lots of solar panels there or even build a community garden or anything cool. Oh and having a roof over the lots will make them more like 70 instead of 110 degrees. Just making them something where people can somewhat enjoy themselves instead of a depressing eyesore is a big step. Turning always empty lots into community gardens seems like a pretty good idea. Mass parking lots are bad for the environment and are a major source of runoff and pollution. In an age of climate change and going as green as possible, this seems to make too much sense. Cost too much? Well its a lot less than making asphalt wastelands. We need to have a parking lot revolution because why not. Can you think of a reason not to do this? I cant.

Building a roof over a parking lot for solar panels would never pay for itself. The strength requirements of the structure for a green space on top would probably be more expensive than many of the buildings that these parking lots service.

Additionally, covered areas are more subject to crime and vagrants.

None of these ideas are implemented, because those who own the properties realize that this will cost them a great deal to implement and have negative consequences to their pocket book and the properties they own.

@geogeer I recommend you read this ny times article http://www.nytimes.com....

So the gist of the article is large parking lots for malls that are under-utilized or even out of business.

In Winnipeg, MN. The city decided to remove the parking requirements from buildings. The first thing that happened was that some idiot put up a condo without parking. He couldn't sell any units because the potential owners had nowhere to park their cars. So he ended up having to buy the building next door and tear it down to put in a parkade.

The rules are there for a reason. It avoids disuse of buildings because of inadequate ability to use the building. Buildings that have insufficient parking turn into slums because the better tenants have no desire to be there.

I see what your argument. But i am not saying parking lots should be removed. I am saying abandoned ones or excessive ones could be turned into parks, gardens, solar farms, or something attractive. Busy lots could be improved with more landscaping with trees because almost all have none. A great but more expensive option is to build roofs over parking lots for solar panels or even a community garden. And i highly recommend reading this article http://www.bloomberg.com...