Jump to topic:

Debate.org on Social Media

Biodome
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 5:02:24 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
As you all probably know, Debate.org has social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ (you can find links to all of them at the bottom of the site). The problem with all of them is that they are all, well, dead.

There has been no activity on those channels for at least half a year, and I see that as a missed opportunity to get some more people to join this site. For example, on Facebook, more than 18,000 people have liked the page, which means that any new, interesting and engaging posts could reach a fairly large audience. But nothing at all has been done.

Perhaps there has been a decision somewhere to cease any social media activities that I am not aware of, but to me it seems that it would be good if a couple of people could take up the task of revitalizing those channels. I have no idea who is responsible for running them currently - is it airmax, Juggle or someone else? Would it be possible to recruit more volunteers to the social media team?

More interest in the site would result in more traffic, so perhaps Juggle would be more willing to bring improvements to DDO.
missmozart
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 5:21:41 PM
At 6/4/2016 5:02:24 PM, Biodome wrote:
As you all probably know, Debate.org has social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ (you can find links to all of them at the bottom of the site). The problem with all of them is that they are all, well, dead.

There has been no activity on those channels for at least half a year, and I see that as a missed opportunity to get some more people to join this site. For example, on Facebook, more than 18,000 people have liked the page, which means that any new, interesting and engaging posts could reach a fairly large audience. But nothing at all has been done.

Perhaps there has been a decision somewhere to cease any social media activities that I am not aware of, but to me it seems that it would be good if a couple of people could take up the task of revitalizing those channels. I have no idea who is responsible for running them currently - is it airmax, Juggle or someone else? Would it be possible to recruit more volunteers to the social media team?

More interest in the site would result in more traffic, so perhaps Juggle would be more willing to bring improvements to DDO.

I agree that publicity is needed. I've seen some outstanding debaters that have only gotten like one point for their "spelling and grammar" in a debate or perhaps no votes at all resulting in an unfair tie.
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 5:38:00 PM
As you all probably know, Debate.org has social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter and Google+

We're on Twitter?

And people have Google+?

(you can find links to all of them at the bottom of the site). The problem with all of them is that they are all, well, dead.

Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Biodome
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 5:40:54 PM
At 6/4/2016 5:38:00 PM, imabench wrote:
As you all probably know, Debate.org has social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter and Google+

We're on Twitter?

And people have Google+?

I use neither of those, but some people probably do. I'd see Facebook as the platform with the most potential for attracting new members, though.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 6:02:42 PM
And in the 1 to 2 weeks you have both been here.
Nudge nudge wink wink. A post and posts like this is so far out of character.
It makes you think , wich 1 of the president elect do thess sock puppets belong to. trying to offer ideas , suggestions . For the feedback . To see if there is a want for any idea.
If there is a good response, the president elect will incorporate said interests , into Their election , and in doing so. The sock puppets will be discarded . And no one will be none the wiser.

Wich president do you think is making these 2 puppets talk.

I'm locking in DK.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 6:30:39 PM
Hang on .
There is no way this was done sneaky enough like.
Since bench would not be fishing for ideas to improve and incorporate.
This might be a play on that . His doing it to make it look like their doing it.
Good game
Good game.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 6:33:13 PM

Have you read my Platform? A goal of the platform is to put the Presidency in charge of managing the FB page, since the role requires a continuous presence, one that has a refreshing enthusiasm for the job. The presidency is the only position on DDO that has both of those traits.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Biodome
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 6:34:14 PM
At 6/4/2016 6:02:42 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
It makes you think , wich 1 of the president elect do thess sock puppets belong to. trying to offer ideas , suggestions . For the feedback . To see if there is a want for any idea.
If there is a good response, the president elect will incorporate said interests , into Their election , and in doing so. The sock puppets will be discarded . And no one will be none the wiser.

I'm locking in DK.

Well, that's the first time someone accused me of being a sock puppet :D

No, I am not affiliated with anything or anyone. My original post was a honest opinion on the current situation of DDO on social media. If a candidate is willing to incorporate those into their platform, then I don't see any issues with that.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 6:44:11 PM
At 6/4/2016 6:34:14 PM, Biodome wrote:
At 6/4/2016 6:02:42 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

I'm locking in DK.

Well, that's the first time someone accused me of being a sock puppet :D

No, I am not affiliated with anything or anyone. My original post was a honest opinion on the current situation of DDO on social media. If a candidate is willing to incorporate those into their platform, then I don't see any issues with that.

You being a puppet is not in question. It's a fact. Your 1st 2 sentences , makes this obvious, and it makes it too obvious, by mentioning where thing are situated. The milk is sour,
Biodome
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 6:45:46 PM
At 6/4/2016 6:33:13 PM, donald.keller wrote:
Have you read my Platform? A goal of the platform is to put the Presidency in charge of managing the FB page, since the role requires a continuous presence, one that has a refreshing enthusiasm for the job. The presidency is the only position on DDO that has both of those traits.

But would that secure the continuous activity of the FB page, or will it only be active when an enthusiastic president comes along, and will it be active enough? Those periods of inactivity negatively impact the popularity of the page, and perhaps the website itself. If, during the next election, or, say, the one after, the president will not consider FB as important, then it will again become inactive.

That's why I kind of entertained the idea of a dedicated social media team that engaged with the comments under each post, updated the page with new and interesting debates, issues etc. I thought that the president alone would not have enough time to look after the page. I'm just talking from the experience of other popular pages - it can be quite time consuming for one person. But if you think you can do it, then kudos to you.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 6:48:28 PM

Juggle operates all of those. Juggle no longer pays attention to this site. Without Juggle's approval, a user cannot gain control of their blog. They can't give the "okay" if they aren't paying attention in the first place, where all of your emails to them will be going in their spam box.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Biodome
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 6:52:14 PM
At 6/4/2016 6:48:28 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Juggle operates all of those. Juggle no longer pays attention to this site. Without Juggle's approval, a user cannot gain control of their blog. They can't give the "okay" if they aren't paying attention in the first place, where all of your emails to them will be going in their spam box.

That's a grim situation then if it's true. I kinda hoped that some users from DDO had at least partial access to the social media pages, so that they could keep them alive.
Biodome
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 6:58:35 PM
At 6/4/2016 6:44:11 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
You being a puppet is not in question. It's a fact. Your 1st 2 sentences , makes this obvious, and it makes it too obvious, by mentioning where thing are situated. The milk is sour,

So the fact that I know something about the site, is evidence to your theory? I have been here for at least a year, and I have familiarized myself with the layout. It doesn't require a stroke of genius to see that there are three social networks being linked at the bottom. That's, in fact, pretty standard among websites. I wouldn't be surprised if a newbie asked the very same question I did.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 7:03:22 PM
At 6/4/2016 6:58:35 PM, Biodome wrote:
At 6/4/2016 6:44:11 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

So the fact that I know something about the site, is evidence to your theory? I have been here for at least a year, and I have familiarized myself with the layout. It doesn't require a stroke of genius to see that there are three social networks being linked at the bottom. That's, in fact, pretty standard among websites. I wouldn't be surprised if a newbie asked the very same question I did.

Right you are. I thought 1 year was week.
Please forgive me for any inconvenience this may have caused . And sorry for derailing. Good day sir.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 7:38:01 PM
At 6/4/2016 6:45:46 PM, Biodome wrote:

But would that secure the continuous activity of the FB page, or will it only be active when an enthusiastic president comes along, and will it be active enough? Those periods of inactivity negatively impact the popularity of the page, and perhaps the website itself. If, during the next election, or, say, the one after, the president will not consider FB as important, then it will again become inactive.

That's a question you could ask about any group who takes it over. As far as Presidents go, only 2 of them have ever lacked enthusiasm. If people want the FB page to be ran, than you have a better chance of the next president promising to run it than you do with any other person or group.

Your question could also be asked of any mod, or of the Mayor of a small town, or a CEO of a company...

That's why I kind of entertained the idea of a dedicated social media team that engaged with the comments under each post, updated the page with new and interesting debates, issues etc. I thought that the president alone would not have enough time to look after the page. I'm just talking from the experience of other popular pages - it can be quite time consuming for one person. But if you think you can do it, then kudos to you.

No 'team' or 'committee' has ever lasted a change in leadership or lasted a few months (with the exception of the VU and the Summit). You will make the page active for a month, and then it'll die again, just like with the first person who ran it... The Presidency is the only organization that has lasted longer than a year, and one of only two groups to ever survive a change in leadership.

All you're proposing is having it ran by a group, like the presidency, with none of the qualities that make the presidency the right role for it.

If the site cares about Social Media, than they will vote for someone who is enthusistic for it.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Biodome
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2016 8:01:03 PM
At 6/4/2016 7:38:01 PM, donald.keller wrote:
At 6/4/2016 6:45:46 PM, Biodome wrote:

That's a question you could ask about any group who takes it over. As far as Presidents go, only 2 of them have ever lacked enthusiasm. If people want the FB page to be ran, than you have a better chance of the next president promising to run it than you do with any other person or group.

Your question could also be asked of any mod, or of the Mayor of a small town, or a CEO of a company...

No 'team' or 'committee' has ever lasted a change in leadership or lasted a few months (with the exception of the VU and the Summit). You will make the page active for a month, and then it'll die again, just like with the first person who ran it... The Presidency is the only organization that has lasted longer than a year, and one of only two groups to ever survive a change in leadership.

All you're proposing is having it ran by a group, like the presidency, with none of the qualities that make the presidency the right role for it.

If the site cares about Social Media, than they will vote for someone who is enthusistic for it.

Fair enough. PeterSmith, however, said that only Juggle has access to the social media pages, so you would have to do a lot of convincing then. If Juggle simply ignores DDO users, whether they're elected representatives or not, then there's a pretty big problem. If you are elected, I hope you'll be successful in contacting them at the very least.