Jump to topic:

Feedback for the voters union

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 6:22:38 PM
Posted: 6 months ago
Hey guys I was looking for some feedback and general opinions on the voters union. Do you think the groups endeavors are successful? Do you feel the existence of the VU has made some significant impacts to site voting? Do you have any recommended changes or other comments, opinions, or disputes?

I have created a survey if you wish you express your opinion anonymously.
https://www.surveymonkey.com...
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 6:24:51 PM
I think the inclusion of rewards for voting sets a dangerous precedent.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 6:29:34 PM
At 6/8/2016 6:24:51 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

That's my main negative criticism. I think the group of members has improved in quality, and I think private voter groups are beneficial to the site in general (excluding groups such as the Right-Wing Message Thread).

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 6:33:04 PM

In what way? Maybe I should have out that question in the survey for members. "Are you more likely to participate in a voting group if you are rewarded for your votes, or would your participation be the same either way?"
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 6:38:52 PM
At 6/8/2016 6:33:04 PM, TUF wrote:

In what way? Maybe I should have out that question in the survey for members. "Are you more likely to participate in a voting group if you are rewarded for your votes, or would your participation be the same either way?"

You might get people that say it would be the same, but most of the time it won't end up being true. The danger comes in, I think, when this group eventually fades. I'm skeptical of rewarding regular site actions with rewards - because I think that it creates members who expect rewards, instead of joining the VU for the simple sake of benefiting the site.

That doesn't mean I'm opposed to rewards completely on the site, but I think they're best suited for things like tournaments.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Blade-of-Truth
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 6:41:38 PM
At 6/8/2016 6:22:38 PM, TUF wrote:
Hey guys I was looking for some feedback and general opinions on the voters union.

Okei Dokei

Do you think the groups endeavors are successful?

Absolutely. The activity from this last month has been incredible.

Do you feel the existence of the VU has made some significant impacts to site voting?

Indubitably. Not only does it hold its members to higher than average standards, but by doing so the group is actively creating and shaping higher than average voters, which is always a good thing! Many members have received votes on debates that they otherwise wouldn't have had it not been for the VU.

Do you have any recommended changes or other comments, opinions, or disputes?

Nope. If you recall, I originally took issue with the fact that I couldn't vote for S&G or Conduct, but since then I've grown accustomed to the standards and find no fault with them whatsoever.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 7:02:19 PM
At 6/8/2016 6:41:38 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:

Nope. If you recall, I originally took issue with the fact that I couldn't vote for S&G or Conduct, but since then I've grown accustomed to the standards and find no fault with them whatsoever.

Same, though now I think it's a whole lot easier and better to do it this way since it doesn't mucky up the votes with those things and you just focus on the substance of the debate which is the arguments. This is what the debate is about, not Spelling and Grammar. I don't know about you, but I've had a couple hard debates in the past that have recieved conduct only points or other things that made me feel like I wasted my time, but now in the Voter's Union, there are a ton of debates being voted on and I can get great feed back on my debates. It makes me feel like it's worth it to debate more again.

When I vote with the Union, I also feel pretty good. People depend on votes for feedback and if they don't have quality votes, they don't know what to improve and what to change. The Voter Union provides great RFD's that help analyze arguments in depth and helps show people why they lost or how they could have done better. Sure it doesn't seem like a lot, but trust me, a vote for anyone can change a lot.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 7:09:09 PM
At 6/8/2016 6:38:52 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

You might get people that say it would be the same, but most of the time it won't end up being true. The danger comes in, I think, when this group eventually fades. I'm skeptical of rewarding regular site actions with rewards - because I think that it creates members who expect rewards, instead of joining the VU for the simple sake of benefiting the site.

That doesn't mean I'm opposed to rewards completely on the site, but I think they're best suited for things like tournaments.

Even if that is true, let's assume for a minute that it's true for everyone there (which I highly doubt). Why is it a bad thing? We have more and more votes on this site and on the 4th day of this month, we exceded all the votes from last month. More and more votes are going out and people are getting great feedback, sure they get a reward if they work hard enough, but the real benefit is the site getting more votes and better feedback. Newer members who get great votes are more and more likely to stay on the site.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 7:13:42 PM
At 6/8/2016 7:09:09 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Even if that is true, let's assume for a minute that it's true for everyone there (which I highly doubt). Why is it a bad thing? We have more and more votes on this site and on the 4th day of this month, we exceded all the votes from last month. More and more votes are going out and people are getting great feedback, sure they get a reward if they work hard enough, but the real benefit is the site getting more votes and better feedback. Newer members who get great votes are more and more likely to stay on the site.

This is all true. I think the change in the member list can be attributed to that. Newer members are far more likely to fall into the reward trap, and it seems that the group has become more stable and older than it was previously.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 7:15:24 PM
At 6/8/2016 7:13:42 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

This is all true. I think the change in the member list can be attributed to that. Newer members are far more likely to fall into the reward trap, and it seems that the group has become more stable and older than it was previously.

It's become way more active than it use to me.

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 7:19:40 PM
At 6/8/2016 7:15:24 PM, lannan13 wrote:

It really has. Danielle joined, right? I think you and Danielle have combined for about 45-50 votes on the site in the past 30 days, if I'm not mistaken.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 7:21:11 PM
At 6/8/2016 7:19:40 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

It really has. Danielle joined, right? I think you and Danielle have combined for about 45-50 votes on the site in the past 30 days, if I'm not mistaken.

I wouldn't say that much. This month I've only done 9 votes for the Voter's Union and am working on another one atm.

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 7:22:10 PM
At 6/8/2016 7:21:11 PM, lannan13 wrote:

I wouldn't say that much. This month I've only done 9 votes for the Voter's Union and am working on another one atm.

I was speaking in overall site terms.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 7:22:46 PM
At 6/8/2016 7:22:10 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 6/8/2016 7:21:11 PM, lannan13 wrote:

I was speaking in overall site terms.

Oh, IDK, I don't keep track of that.

kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 8:29:40 PM

This is what I thought initially myself. There is a book entitled "Drive" that talks about the physiological effect of using rewards as motivation. It usually tends to be negative. I joined this month and TBH I dont care that there is a reward. That is not why I joined. I feel like the VU is currently functioning how the voting thread should but doesn't. Having somewhere that lists debates worth voting for makes it easier for me to vote as I dont have to personally sift through all the crap.
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 8:34:08 PM
At 6/8/2016 8:29:40 PM, kasmic wrote:

This is what I thought initially myself. There is a book entitled "Drive" that talks about the physiological effect of using rewards as motivation. It usually tends to be negative. I joined this month and TBH I dont care that there is a reward. That is not why I joined. I feel like the VU is currently functioning how the voting thread should but doesn't. Having somewhere that lists debates worth voting for makes it easier for me to vote as I dont have to personally sift through all the crap.

I meant Psychological... not physiological haha.

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 8:35:28 PM
Hey guys I was looking for some feedback and general opinions on the voters union. Do you think the groups endeavors are successful? Do you feel the existence of the VU has made some significant impacts to site voting? Do you have any recommended changes or other comments, opinions, or disputes?

You guys seem to be doing a great job.
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 8:48:55 PM

I think why this group doesn't cross the line, is mainly because it's not rewards for voting any certain way (besides quality). ... It could be viewed as a monthly tournament of vote casting, instead of normal tournaments of debating.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 9:32:11 PM
My problem with the 'prize' problem Harder brought up is that this isn't experimental... The VU and the Census Debate have existed for over 8 months, and Harder's proposed outcome has yet to happen. People still debate without a prize, and votes are still casted without the promise of reward. If Harder were right, we'd see it already.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 9:34:12 PM
At 6/8/2016 9:32:11 PM, donald.keller wrote:
My problem with the 'prize' problem Harder brought up is that this isn't experimental... The VU and the Census Debate have existed for over 8 months, and Harder's proposed outcome has yet to happen. People still debate without a prize, and votes are still casted without the promise of reward. If Harder were right, we'd see it already.

I dont think the "incentive" is large enough to have the negative impact we are worried about.

donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2016 10:57:55 PM
At 6/8/2016 9:34:12 PM, kasmic wrote:
At 6/8/2016 9:32:11 PM, donald.keller wrote:

I dont think the "incentive" is large enough to have the negative impact we are worried about.

1harder has, since i can remember, said the Union's prizes as are were a bad thing.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 5:54:05 PM

Can you advertise this to the voter's union please?
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 5:54:39 PM
While I'm sure 1harder is responsibile for the 1 negative vote on each question, I can't prove it..... What i can prove is this;

1Harder claims that group has only 2 activite members. Here are the voting scores so far for this month (including members with more than 2 votes):
Lannan -18
Danielle -11
Ragnar -8
Kasmic -8
TUF -6
Tejrectics - 6
Ballpit - 6
MagicAintReal - 4
MissBailey - 4

I welcome 1harder to defend his claim that the Union consists of 2 members doing all of the work... A claim that, funny enough, he would have needed the documents only members of the Union see in order to make. To make the claim otherwise would be akin to rumor spreading.

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 7:31:41 PM
At 6/9/2016 5:54:39 PM, donald.keller wrote:
While I'm sure 1harder is responsibile for the 1 negative vote on each question, I can't prove it..... What i can prove is this;

1Harder claims that group has only 2 activite members. Here are the voting scores so far for this month (including members with more than 2 votes):
Lannan -18
Danielle -11
Ragnar -8
Kasmic -8
TUF -6
Tejrectics - 6
Ballpit - 6
MagicAintReal - 4
MissBailey - 4

I welcome 1harder to defend his claim that the Union consists of 2 members doing all of the work... A claim that, funny enough, he would have needed the documents only members of the Union see in order to make. To make the claim otherwise would be akin to rumor spreading.

You are truly pathetic. I didn't even take the poll. And I said that Lannan and Danielle were noticeably super active, which has helped the VU.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 7:36:20 PM
I did not take the survey: http://imgur.com...

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 7:47:09 PM
At 6/9/2016 7:31:41 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Lannan -18
Danielle -11
Ragnar -8
Kasmic -8
TUF -6
Tejrectics - 6
Ballpit - 6
MagicAintReal - 4
MissBailey - 4

You are truley pathetic. I didn't even take the poll. And I said that Lannan and Danielle were noticeably super active, which has helped the VU.

The underlined is an unnessacary attack. At best, it's immature. And unwarrented, as nothing i have said is pathetic. You have stated a number of times that the VU only has 2 or so active members. You forget I was in the Administration with you, and you very much brought it up. You also brought it up in the IDGAF interview. And reguarding what you said in the Administration, 'Pathetic' can be defined as saying someone took personal offense to something you said, when their actual response was "Just because it's doing good, doesn't mean it can't do better. But it's entirely up to you guys."

#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2016 7:49:25 PM
At 6/9/2016 7:47:09 PM, donald.keller wrote:
At 6/9/2016 7:31:41 PM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Lannan -18
Danielle -11
Ragnar -8
Kasmic -8
TUF -6
Tejrectics - 6
Ballpit - 6
MagicAintReal - 4
MissBailey - 4

You are truly pathetic. I didn't even take the poll. And I said that Lannan and Danielle were noticeably super active, which has helped the VU.

The underlined is an unnessacary attack. At best, it's immature. And unwarrented, as nothing i have said is pathetic.

It wasn't unnecessary, immature, or unwarranted. You said you were sure I was skewing your poll result and being dishonest. Both of those things are demonstrably false.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2016 4:48:49 AM
Posted: 4 months ago

*Cough*

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King