Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Why do you debate?

Xerdex
Posts: 19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2016 12:44:01 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
I debate to become more mindful since it produces thoughts that cannot escape therefore forcing me to think carefully..

Did you guys find that your mind is more clearer after all this rigorous debating?

I'm interested in the consequences that you've noticed after rigorous debating for a reasonable amount of time.
Ragnar
Posts: 1,658
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2016 1:09:28 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Less Facebook friends :)
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
lannan13
Posts: 23,040
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2016 1:50:24 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
I find it fun. You learn a lot of things and you can strengthen your beliefs through it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
fire_wings
Posts: 5,561
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2016 3:01:14 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Why can't I debate?
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
imabench
Posts: 21,211
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2016 3:41:17 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
I never understood why people like to debate. Thats why I didnt do many of them
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/11/2016 6:36:26 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
I try to stick to subjects I know nothing about so it gives me an opportunity to learn. I don't need the criticism of my arguments. I criticize them enough on my own. While I am researching I try to disprove every fact I learn, and then try to disprove my disproving. If I am researching energy policybI check out every book on it in the library and buy ones to fill in the gap, and look at it from every angle.
tejretics
Posts: 6,086
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 4:54:45 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/11/2016 3:41:17 PM, imabench wrote:
I never understood why people like to debate. Thats why I didnt do many of them

lol
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
Emmarie
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 5:00:37 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/11/2016 12:44:01 PM, Xerdex wrote:
I debate to become more mindful since it produces thoughts that cannot escape therefore forcing me to think carefully..

Did you guys find that your mind is more clearer after all this rigorous debating?

I'm interested in the consequences that you've noticed after rigorous debating for a reasonable amount of time.

In late January, 2016, I was loading firewood into our coal chute, that had a 2" thick x 18" diameter, cast iron hinged door, similar to the one in this link: [http://hometownbyhandlebar.com...] Our door hinges from the top as the one in the photo does but the metal it is hinged into is rusted. Anyway, I was frustrated that my sons or man wouldn't help me load the firewood since it had just begun to snow and I didn't want our 2 cords of wood that had been delivered earlier that afternoon to get wet, so I was working hastily to get the firewood indoors.

I began to cuss, "this is bullsh!t" when a peice of 17"x 5" oak got wedged diagonally, and when I bent in to dislodge it I yelled once again, "this is bullsh!t," at which time the vibration of my voice caused the cast iron door to come slamming onto the top of my head. How I managed to not be knocked out cold is beyond me. I didn't seek medical care and took it easy for the next few days, knowing I had a pretty serious concussion.

It wasn't until around 1 week later that I realized I had difficulty forming sentences due to a loss of the recall of words, and I also had a difficult time spelling. I had been live streaming US presidential debates the entire month of February and had noticed a link to this site a few times when I googled "debates." In early March I decided to check it out, thinking that maybe if I engaged in an active writing activity it would help me recall words and spelling.

I became active on the site immediately, and found the challenge of writing to be both frustrating and rewarding. My vocabulary and spelling recollection has steadily improved since I've been a member of DDO, probably 85% of what it was previously.

I am grateful to have found a website that allowed me to challenge myself enough to rebuild something that I dearly cherished and thought I had lost. Without active dialog on DDO, I may have not recovered my language skills.
Xerdex
Posts: 19
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 9:37:20 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/12/2016 5:00:37 AM, Emmarie wrote:
At 6/11/2016 12:44:01 PM, Xerdex wrote:
I debate to become more mindful since it produces thoughts that cannot escape therefore forcing me to think carefully..

Did you guys find that your mind is more clearer after all this rigorous debating?

I'm interested in the consequences that you've noticed after rigorous debating for a reasonable amount of time.

In late January, 2016, I was loading firewood into our coal chute, that had a 2" thick x 18" diameter, cast iron hinged door, similar to the one in this link: [http://hometownbyhandlebar.com...] Our door hinges from the top as the one in the photo does but the metal it is hinged into is rusted. Anyway, I was frustrated that my sons or man wouldn't help me load the firewood since it had just begun to snow and I didn't want our 2 cords of wood that had been delivered earlier that afternoon to get wet, so I was working hastily to get the firewood indoors.

I began to cuss, "this is bullsh!t" when a peice of 17"x 5" oak got wedged diagonally, and when I bent in to dislodge it I yelled once again, "this is bullsh!t," at which time the vibration of my voice caused the cast iron door to come slamming onto the top of my head. How I managed to not be knocked out cold is beyond me. I didn't seek medical care and took it easy for the next few days, knowing I had a pretty serious concussion.

It wasn't until around 1 week later that I realized I had difficulty forming sentences due to a loss of the recall of words, and I also had a difficult time spelling. I had been live streaming US presidential debates the entire month of February and had noticed a link to this site a few times when I googled "debates." In early March I decided to check it out, thinking that maybe if I engaged in an active writing activity it would help me recall words and spelling.

I became active on the site immediately, and found the challenge of writing to be both frustrating and rewarding. My vocabulary and spelling recollection has steadily improved since I've been a member of DDO, probably 85% of what it was previously.

I am grateful to have found a website that allowed me to challenge myself enough to rebuild something that I dearly cherished and thought I had lost. Without active dialog on DDO, I may have not recovered my language skills.

Great to hear your story and your journey to recover vocabulary and word recall speeds.
Emmarie
Posts: 1,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/14/2016 10:19:14 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 6/14/2016 9:37:20 AM, Xerdex wrote:
At 6/12/2016 5:00:37 AM, Emmarie wrote:
At 6/11/2016 12:44:01 PM, Xerdex wrote:
I debate to become more mindful since it produces thoughts that cannot escape therefore forcing me to think carefully..

Did you guys find that your mind is more clearer after all this rigorous debating?

I'm interested in the consequences that you've noticed after rigorous debating for a reasonable amount of time.

In late January, 2016, I was loading firewood into our coal chute, that had a 2" thick x 18" diameter, cast iron hinged door, similar to the one in this link: [http://hometownbyhandlebar.com...] Our door hinges from the top as the one in the photo does but the metal it is hinged into is rusted. Anyway, I was frustrated that my sons or man wouldn't help me load the firewood since it had just begun to snow and I didn't want our 2 cords of wood that had been delivered earlier that afternoon to get wet, so I was working hastily to get the firewood indoors.

I began to cuss, "this is bullsh!t" when a peice of 17"x 5" oak got wedged diagonally, and when I bent in to dislodge it I yelled once again, "this is bullsh!t," at which time the vibration of my voice caused the cast iron door to come slamming onto the top of my head. How I managed to not be knocked out cold is beyond me. I didn't seek medical care and took it easy for the next few days, knowing I had a pretty serious concussion.

It wasn't until around 1 week later that I realized I had difficulty forming sentences due to a loss of the recall of words, and I also had a difficult time spelling. I had been live streaming US presidential debates the entire month of February and had noticed a link to this site a few times when I googled "debates." In early March I decided to check it out, thinking that maybe if I engaged in an active writing activity it would help me recall words and spelling.

I became active on the site immediately, and found the challenge of writing to be both frustrating and rewarding. My vocabulary and spelling recollection has steadily improved since I've been a member of DDO, probably 85% of what it was previously.

I am grateful to have found a website that allowed me to challenge myself enough to rebuild something that I dearly cherished and thought I had lost. Without active dialog on DDO, I may have not recovered my language skills.

Great to hear your story and your journey to recover vocabulary and word recall speeds.
Thanks :)