Jump to topic:

Remove the buIIshit swearing filter

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 5:18:48 AM
Posted: 6 months ago
Remove it. Let people say whatever the hell they want.

Seriously, this is a debate website. We should be debating controversial issues. How can we debate controversial issues if we can't use controversial words? And best of all, we can't say "a*s" but we can say "faggot" "nigger" "cunt" and "bitch." This is bogus. It makes no sense. Besides, we can always get around it. Besides, a*s just looks really stupid. Why the hell can't I say asss? I don't want to say asss with three s's or a*s with a big * in the middle. I want to say a-s-s. I certainly didn't come to this website to be babysat.

Calling a woman you don't like a bitch is the same as calling a black guy you don't like a nigger, or calling a white person you don't like a cracker (believe me, I know alot of asshoIe crackers), or calling a fat person you don't like a fatass, or calling a guy you don't like a dick, or calling a gay guy you don't like a faggot.

It's all nasty and mean, but if you're going to ban one, you should ban them all, otherwise you're playing favorites on what class of people can and can't be insulted. And I think we'd all agree that it's silly trying to control language on the internet, so we should just allow it all.

Let people swear. If people bully other people and call them names, we can just bully them back and call them even worse names, or in serious cases they get ban hammered. That's how the real world works.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 5:46:53 AM
At 6/12/2016 5:18:48 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

Seriously, this is a debate website. We should be debating controversial issues. How can we debate controversial issues if we can't use controversial words? And best of all, we can't say "a*s" but we can say "faggot" "nigger" "cunt" and "bitch." This is bogus. It makes no sense. Besides, we can always get around it. Besides, a*s just looks really stupid. Why the hell can't I say asss? I don't want to say asss with three s's or a*s with a big * in the middle. I want to say a-s-s. I certainly didn't come to this website to be babysat.

Calling a woman you don't like a bitch is the same as calling a black guy you don't like a nigger, or calling a white person you don't like a cracker (believe me, I know alot of asshoIe crackers), or calling a fat person you don't like a fatass, or calling a guy you don't like a dick, or calling a gay guy you don't like a faggot.

It's all nasty and mean, but if you're going to ban one, you should ban them all, otherwise you're playing favorites on what class of people can and can't be insulted. And I think we'd all agree that it's silly trying to control language on the internet, so we should just allow it all.

Let people swear. If people bully other people and call them names, we can just bully them back and call them even worse names, or in serious cases they get ban hammered. That's how the real world works.

Relax lol
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 6:20:30 AM

Are you new here or something? the swearing filter has been around since forever, how are you just NOW realizing it?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Axonly
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 6:57:28 AM
At 6/12/2016 6:20:30 AM, imabench wrote:

Are you new here or something? the swearing filter has been around since forever, how are you just NOW realizing it?

He's not one of us

(One of us! One of us! One of us!)
Meh!
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 12:11:46 PM
Bullsht. It appears you don't need the filter as you can type Bullsht.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Syko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 12:32:48 PM

He's probably never been angry enough to swear before. Not being able to swear would make me pretty angry, which would make we wanna swear, which would make me angry. So I know how he feels.
For Mother Russia.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 1:03:20 PM

Well I was encouraging people on here to get better rhetoric, but you definitely need to practice thinking. Yes, I've known that the swearing filter has been around for a long time.

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 1:03:40 PM
At 6/12/2016 6:57:28 AM, Axonly wrote:

He's not one of us

(One of us! One of us! One of us!)

[Censored by the DDO Elite]

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 3:05:23 PM

I'm with you. Its a complete insult that most seem to be just fine with. Funny, you will see the same people who scream about PC be fine with the filter.

Its not going away, but I agree it is childish.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 3:14:40 PM

I have a suggestion: debate airmax on it. His code of honor won't allow him to reject the offer.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 4:06:22 PM
At 6/12/2016 3:14:40 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

I have a suggestion: debate airmax on it. His code of honor won't allow him to reject the offer.

Better yet, do it in rap battle form.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 7:14:58 PM

Dos Airmax impose the chat filters? I haven't gotten any restrictions on what I could say, least of all "ass."
Have no regrets.
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 9:03:45 PM
At 6/12/2016 7:14:58 PM, Opsianos wrote:

Dos Airmax impose the chat filters? I haven't gotten any restrictions on what I could say, least of all "ass."

Yeah, I don't understand either. Why would there be a swear filter? That's just fucking stupid.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/12/2016 9:14:39 PM
At 6/12/2016 9:03:45 PM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
At 6/12/2016 7:14:58 PM, Opsianos wrote:

Yeah, I don't understand either. Why would there be a swear filter? That's just fucking stupid.

Maybe they only exist for the shit plebs. Who knows.
Have no regrets.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 12:52:23 AM
At 6/12/2016 3:05:23 PM, TBR wrote:

I'm with you. Its a complete insult that most seem to be just fine with. Funny, you will see the same people who scream about PC be fine with the filter.

It's totally ridiculous. Besides, there's a way to bypass the filter.

Example:

shit
fuck
piss
ass

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 12:53:36 AM
Guys, controlling language is like controlling thought. We don't live in George Orwell's 1984 for crying outloud. This website is run by communists.

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 12:56:45 AM
when did zmike go from being slightly above average to DDO's greatest member by far?

zmike, every single thing you have said since you've returned has been 100% on point. I think even YYW is considering removing you from the blacklist
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 12:58:25 AM
At 6/13/2016 12:52:23 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

Example:

shit
fuck
piss
ass

Yea, I don't know what you guys are doing to bypass the filter, but the fact remains the same. The filter is stupid, and the people who insist on keeping it ( I have been in discussions about it before) are the same to jump up-and-down about PC. The cognitive dissonance is strong.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 12:59:00 AM
At 6/13/2016 12:58:25 AM, TBR wrote:
At 6/13/2016 12:52:23 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

Example:

shit
fuck
piss
ass

Yea, I don't know what you guys are doing to bypass the filter, but the fact remains the same. The filter is stupid, and the people who insist on keeping it ( I have been in discussions about it before) are the same to jump up-and-down about PC. The cognitive dissonance is strong.

Like I said above, trying to control language is communist.

Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:01:03 AM
At 6/13/2016 12:56:45 AM, thett3 wrote:
when did zmike go from being slightly above average to DDO's greatest member by far?

zmike, every single thing you have said since you've returned has been 100% on point. I think even YYW is considering removing you from the blacklist
oh - so that's why no one converses with me. That fukking faygot who thinks only he has the right to express himself. I don't even believe that he is 25 - her sounds more like my age and coerces members to "meet" him on the hangouts!
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:04:05 AM
At 6/13/2016 1:01:03 AM, Emmarie wrote:

oh - so that's why no one converses with me. That fukking faygot who thinks only he has the right to express himself. I don't even believe that he is 25 - her sounds more like my age and coerces members to "meet" him on the hangouts!

No, we don't converse with you because we're misogynistic
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:20:49 AM
At 6/13/2016 1:04:05 AM, thett3 wrote:
At 6/13/2016 1:01:03 AM, Emmarie wrote:

No, we don't converse with you because we're misogynistic

Wtf are you talking about - I have never used that word in my life. I am pro strong women - not pro feminist because they play both sides - whine about how disadvantaged they are in wages compared to men and then when they get jobs in fields dominated by men - they are unable to do the tasks and pump up male egos to get them to do the work. I want no privileges for being a female - I want opportunities to prove my strength - even though my strength is in endurance and not brute strength. I use my mind to figure out how to use leverage and balance to complete tasks - that take 30 seconds longer than if a guy with upper body strength completes them - but overall in the course of a day - I take less breaks and can do tedious tasks that require balance endlessly. My production over the course of a day is equal to the guys I work with, and I don't use charm to get guys to do my tasks.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:22:02 AM

I'm just saying the truth and what the problems are with this website. I think almost everyone can see that what I'm saying is right, and that this website needs some serious renovation.

Rightreform
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 2:08:24 AM
If you want to curse, you can keep that filth in your own house. You will not be invited into mine. Do you have difficulty regulating your speech and emotions? Your vulgar and obscene speech can only infuriate people, when I write on this site I want an audience of all sorts to feel comfortable and safe reading what I write. It would be nice to give the readers a fine role model.

Personally I am respected for not swearing and cursing as there are times when I am working in hospitals around nurses, doctors, patience, and the religious community. I have been given monetary awards as an incentive for others to act dignified and to show them good manners, kindness, and concern. This does not mean my speech will never offend anyone, yet I am not vulgar and the purpose of my speech is to win others over, and not to build walls.

I hold the DDO Elite in high regards for keeping this filter. Debate your issues in a civilized manner, you do not need to get people angry or fearful to incite a mob, or riot. If you need to get stuff off your chest and speak freely then go to therapy. Do not just try to draw attention to yourself. It's like you want the shock and all effect, well let me warn you the shock wears off when everyone gets used to your disgusting habits.

Your actions will have consequences. Your audience may view you as a person who lacks the ability to communicate properly, as a person who lacks the vocabulary to say what you mean. Swearing is just vague and ambiguous. Your emotional connotation can only be misconstrued as being derogatory, demeaning hate speech to express anger or attack others. Speech which I for one detest! and you will find I am not the only one.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 2:21:31 AM
Personally I am respected for not swearing and cursing as there are times when I am working in hospitals around nurses, doctors, patience, and the religious community. I have been given monetary awards as an incentive for others to act dignified and to show them good manners, kindness, and concern. This does not mean my speech will never offend anyone, yet I am not vulgar and the purpose of my speech is to win others over, and not to build walls.

Your profile says you are pro on building walls

I hold the DDO Elite in high regards for keeping this filter. Debate your issues in a civilized manner, you do not need to get people angry or fearful to incite a mob, or riot. If you need to get stuff off your chest and speak freely then go to therapy. Do not just try to draw attention to yourself. It's like you want the shock and all effect, well let me warn you the shock wears off when everyone gets used to your disgusting habits.

Your actions will have consequences. Your audience may view you as a person who lacks the ability to communicate properly, as a person who lacks the vocabulary to say what you mean. Swearing is just vague and ambiguous. Your emotional connotation can only be misconstrued as being derogatory, demeaning hate speech to express anger or attack others. Speech which I for one detest! and you will find I am not the only one.
Rightreform
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 2:30:44 AM
At 6/13/2016 2:21:31 AM, Wylted wrote:

That is true, I need to be realistic although I envision a world without borders or fences I have to live in the reality now that we do not live in a peaceful world. There was a day we could leave the doors unlocked and leave a pot on the stove and whoever came in could feel right at home if nobody was there. Sadly, this is not our world anymore.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 2:40:24 AM
At 6/13/2016 2:08:24 AM, Rightreform wrote:
If you want to curse, you can keep that filth in your own house. You will not be invited into mine. Do you have difficulty regulating your speech and emotions? Your vulgar and obscene speech can only infuriate people, when I write on this site I want an audience of all sorts to feel comfortable and safe reading what I write. It would be nice to give the readers a fine role model.

Look, I have absolutely no trouble controlling my language if I want to. The point is that sometimes, people want to swear.

DDO is a place to debate. It's called Debate.org not "CleanDebate.org" or "ProfessionalDebate.org" or "BeNiceandDebate.org."

I respect people who don't swear. That's good for them. But if people want to swear on a website where the whole purpose is to debate, they have every right to do so. "Swearing" itself isn't bad, it's when you use it for bad. If swearing really bothers someone that much, they probably shouldn't

The problem with this website is that it has many rules which discourage debating. You, being a new user (you think the DDO Elite is a real thing, when it's actually a joke, and not real at all-this just demonstrates your noobidity), have no idea what this website used to be like. It used to be alot more fun than it is now, and many of the users on here feel the same way.

Rightreform
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 2:41:17 AM
At 6/13/2016 2:21:31 AM, Wylted wrote:

I am delighted that I can read the debate you are involved in on this subject.
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 2:44:41 AM

I am also delighted. Thanks for reading, and always feel free to comment if you like it, because then it will show up in people's activity windows and they can discover it as well.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 2:47:50 AM
At 6/13/2016 2:44:41 AM, Wylted wrote:

I am also delighted. Thanks for reading, and always feel free to comment if you like it, because then it will show up in people's activity windows and they can discover it as well.

Right, since the home page is broken...