Jump to topic:

DDO is a wreck

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:12:19 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
This website used to be alot of fun. When I first joined, I loved debating. I loved reading debates. I loved voting on debates. Sure, I sucked at all of these, but now instead of having alot of sucky active members, we have a sucky website and overall sucky community. This website is just a wreck in so many ways.

Now when I come to DDO, I don't even look at the debates. They're boring. They don't interest me anymore. I know lots of other members feel the same way. The debaters on here have become robots.

I remember when I first came to this website, I read debates by Rational_Thinker9119, I read debates by Sswdwm (Envisage) I read debates by Zarroette, bluesteel, RoyLatham, InquireTruth, Philochristos, nur-ab-sal, contradiction, sargon and many many more.

These were good times. The debates were lively and entertaining. I actually *wanted* to come on the website for its main purpose: debate.

But now, the website has really gone downhill. People come here mostly to shoot shit. That's not the way it should be. We should come here to have fun *debates* not fun chats.

Lots of good members have left. We've had presidents and vote moderation make rules that are ridiculously through the roof. We're not allowed to swear even. This place has so many rules and so much control freak organization that all controversy and all good debates have been choked out and burned.

Every day, this site becomes less and less about actually debating. If this continues, and something doesn't change, this website will eventually fall apart.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:15:54 AM
Also the homepage bug.

The home page used to be an incentive to have a good debate that people wanted to read. If you did well, it went on the home page. That was such a cool feeling to see your debate up there and see it suddenly get alot more publicity.

But now even the home page itself doesn't work. The home page used to guide us towards popular debates. Now most members don't even glance at the home page, and head straight to the forum.

For crying outloud, this is a debate website, not a forum.

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:17:21 AM
Sadly, I agree. DDO is not the place it used to be. A lot of the good debaters have left and the website is never updated.

The Presidential candidates has not been updated, despite a major election just 5 months away.
ThinkBig
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notable Notes and Quotable Quotes
"I GOT SIG'D"
"WELL FVCK ME IN THE A$SHOLE AND CALL ME A CUCK I GOT SIG'D AGAIN"
-Kiri
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig.
-7th
Need a judge or vote? Nominate me!!
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:18:58 AM
At 6/13/2016 1:12:19 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
This website used to be alot of fun. When I first joined, I loved debating. I loved reading debates. I loved voting on debates. Sure, I sucked at all of these, but now instead of having alot of sucky active members, we have a sucky website and overall sucky community. This website is just a wreck in so many ways.

Now when I come to DDO, I don't even look at the debates. They're boring. They don't interest me anymore. I know lots of other members feel the same way. The debaters on here have become robots.

I remember when I first came to this website, I read debates by Rational_Thinker9119, I read debates by Sswdwm (Envisage) I read debates by Zarroette, bluesteel, RoyLatham, InquireTruth, Philochristos, nur-ab-sal, contradiction, sargon and many many more.

These were good times. The debates were lively and entertaining. I actually *wanted* to come on the website for its main purpose: debate.

But now, the website has really gone downhill. People come here mostly to shoot shit. That's not the way it should be. We should come here to have fun *debates* not fun chats.

Lots of good members have left. We've had presidents and vote moderation make rules that are ridiculously through the roof. We're not allowed to swear even. This place has so many rules and so much control freak organization that all controversy and all good debates have been choked out and burned.

Every day, this site becomes less and less about actually debating. If this continues, and something doesn't change, this website will eventually fall apart.

I liked it when voting used to be less strict. Even though there was bias, it was counteracted by the sheer amount of people voting. it was great having 10 people reading your debate and voting on it. It felt good. Now it's 3 people max.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:20:08 AM
At 6/13/2016 1:18:58 AM, tajshar2k wrote:

I liked it when voting used to be less strict. Even though there was bias, it was counteracted by the sheer amount of people voting. it was great having 10 people reading your debate and voting on it. It felt good. Now it's 3 people max.

Exactly. More people read it. You could cast a vote and not be afraid of it getting flagged by someone who really wanted to stroke their ego and get another debate on their win record.

And when the home page used to work... Well, getting your debate on the home page was the best feeling in the world.

ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:20:48 AM

This, and if you do not provide a decent RFD (which is subjective to the moderators), then they will take your voting privileges away without giving you a change to get them back.
ThinkBig
Notable Notes and Quotable Quotes
"I GOT SIG'D"
"WELL FVCK ME IN THE A$SHOLE AND CALL ME A CUCK I GOT SIG'D AGAIN"
-Kiri
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig.
-7th
Need a judge or vote? Nominate me!!
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:23:04 AM
At 6/13/2016 1:20:08 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

Exactly. More people read it. You could cast a vote and not be afraid of it getting flagged by someone who really wanted to stroke their ego and get another debate on their win record.

And when the home page used to work... Well, getting your debate on the home page was the best feeling in the world.

Exactly +1
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:24:28 AM
At 6/13/2016 1:23:04 AM, tajshar2k wrote:

Exactly +1

Seriously, every time I came onto DDO I used to look at the home page to see what the popular debates were and if it was a topic I liked, I read it and if I felt like it, I voted. It was simple, fun, and the website actually functioned.

tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:27:05 AM
At 6/13/2016 1:20:48 AM, ThinkBig wrote:

This, and if you do not provide a decent RFD (which is subjective to the moderators), then they will take your voting privileges away without giving you a change to get them back.

I'm never motivated to vote on debates anymore, spending 1 hours on just voting is a pain in the a$$
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:27:24 AM
At 6/13/2016 1:24:28 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

Exactly +1

Seriously, every time I came onto DDO I used to look at the home page to see what the popular debates were and if it was a topic I liked, I read it and if I felt like it, I voted. It was simple, fun, and the website actually functioned.

Those days are gone sadly.
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:32:18 AM
At 6/13/2016 1:24:28 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

Exactly +1

Along with strict moderation and Juggle not updating the site, DDO is dying. I don't get why juggle won't just sell it to somebody.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:32:36 AM

This site lost all its "fun" value for me when the polls broke. However, if you no longer enjoy the website then deactivate. You should have realized early on when you came back that the site was in the same poor condition as it was when you left. And I'm sure no one blames you.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:33:18 AM
At 6/13/2016 1:32:36 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

This site lost all its "fun" value for me when the polls broke. However, if you no longer enjoy the website then deactivate. You should have realized early on when you came back that the site was in the same poor condition as it was when you left. And I'm sure no one blames you.

I'm going to do something about this.

http://www.debate.org...

Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:36:03 AM

Eff you!! You are part of the problem. He is the only member who spits freely and you encourage him to leave. Why don't you leave?
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:39:43 AM
At 6/13/2016 1:36:03 AM, Emmarie wrote:

Eff you!! You are part of the problem. He is the only member who spits freely and you encourage him to leave. Why don't you leave?

I'm talking about the reality of the situation. I don't want him to leave, but I am saying that people visit this website for entertainment. And if it's no longer entertainment for them then leaving should be considered. There's no need to be so hostile.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Forthelulz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:42:09 AM
Requesting thread lock; this has become less of a "Everything is terrible" and more of a toxic complaint-fest.
=Chief Defenestrator=

#ImperiumAmerica

This user is an Angel and will answer any DDO-related questions to the best of their ability. PM for help, or post in the Welcome Thread.
Before you do anything:
Welcome Thread:
New Members Read Me:
Argument Bingo
http://imgur.com...
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:42:58 AM
At 6/13/2016 1:39:43 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

I'm talking about the reality of the situation. I don't want him to leave, but I am saying that people visit this website for entertainment. And if it's no longer entertainment for them then leaving should be considered. There's no need to be so hostile.

He's debating his grievances and setting a good example of how to resolve conflict here. [http://www.debate.org...]
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:45:04 AM
At 6/13/2016 1:42:58 AM, Emmarie wrote:

He's debating his grievances and setting a good example of how to resolve conflict here. [http://www.debate.org...]

Then that's his choice and good for him.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:47:28 AM
At 6/13/2016 1:42:09 AM, Forthelulz wrote:
Requesting thread lock; this has become less of a "Everything is terrible" and more of a toxic complaint-fest.

Your toxic for requesting a thread lock. At least Zmike is airing his grievances - you are attempting to censor which is worse.
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:50:09 AM

+1
"Liberalism Defined" http://www.debate.org...
"The Social Contract" http://www.debate.org...
"Intro to IR An Open Discussion" http://www.debate.org...

Check out my website, the Sensible Soapbox http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
My latest article: http://www.sensiblesoapbox.com...
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:51:11 AM
At 6/13/2016 1:47:28 AM, Emmarie wrote:

Your toxic for requesting a thread lock. At least Zmike is airing his grievances - you are attempting to censor which is worse.

See, the problem with the website is that members on here don't actually want to debate. They want so many rules and moderation enforcement that anything resembling a debate becomes impossible.

On the bright side, there are many members who agree with what I'm saying. Most of them are members who know what I'm talking about and remember when DDO was actually fun. There are newer members, like you, who do give me hope that it's not impossible to revive DDO, although most of my opposition has come from noobs who don't remember when DDO was so much fun.

Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 1:59:16 AM
At 6/13/2016 1:51:11 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 6/13/2016 1:47:28 AM, Emmarie wrote:

See, the problem with the website is that members on here don't actually want to debate. They want so many rules and moderation enforcement that anything resembling a debate becomes impossible.

On the bright side, there are many members who agree with what I'm saying. Most of them are members who know what I'm talking about and remember when DDO was actually fun. There are newer members, like you, who do give me hope that it's not impossible to revive DDO, although most of my opposition has come from noobs who don't remember when DDO was so much fun.

I stayed on this website because I read achieved debates and forum postings and wondered what happened here. I've been waiting for a revival since I joined, but I also "feel" for the members who take debate standards very serious and want voting on their debates to have standards. I "feel" for them because the only value they seem to derive is from "proving" they are correct. If DDO returns to being fun, I hope the serious members are invited to lighten up and join in :) (other than the bullies)
kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 2:00:38 AM
Just like to pint out that I disagree with you and have been here almost two years. Everything you list in the OP I was here for. Again I will say, the biggest thing dragging down this website are people complaining. It doesn't matter if you think you are doing something about it, maybe grow up and do something about it without complaining.

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 2:07:55 AM
At 6/13/2016 2:00:38 AM, kasmic wrote:
Just like to pint out that I disagree with you and have been here almost two years. Everything you list in the OP I was here for. Again I will say, the biggest thing dragging down this website are people complaining. It doesn't matter if you think you are doing something about it, maybe grow up and do something about it without complaining.

The biggest problem is not people complaining. It's people who don't complain and don't even try to do anything about it. It's people who come to debate.org to socialize, not debate.

kasmic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 2:10:30 AM
At 6/13/2016 2:07:55 AM, zmikecuber wrote:

The biggest problem is not people complaining. It's people who don't complain and don't even try to do anything about it. It's people who come to debate.org to socialize, not debate.

So people with 3,500 forum post and less then fifty debates?

Opsianos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 2:11:47 AM
At 6/13/2016 2:10:30 AM, kasmic wrote:

https://media.giphy.com...
Have no regrets.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 2:12:28 AM
At 6/13/2016 1:17:21 AM, ThinkBig wrote:
Sadly, I agree. DDO is not the place it used to be. A lot of the good debaters have left and the website is never updated.

The Presidential candidates has not been updated, despite a major election just 5 months away.

What was your last account?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 2:20:24 AM
I agree about fixing the homepage bug.

I disagree with most everything else.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 2:24:31 AM
At 6/13/2016 2:10:30 AM, kasmic wrote:

No, people who are negative towards members who try and generate a controversial debate in order to rekindle the website.

Seriously, the reason you're so upset with me is because more people have agreed with my forum posts than care to read your debates.

You have a 66% win ratio. My ELO is higher than yours. 19 of your debates ended in ties, because nobody cares to read them. I've had many debates with over 1,000 views. None of my debates have gone unvoted.

I tied Mikal in this debate in an alternate account:

There were 22 votes placed on that debate. I tied one of the best debaters on the site on an extremely unpopular and difficult topic. Nobody liked jifpop. I almost beat Mikal, and if the current voting standards were in place, I definitely would have. This single debate generated alot of controversy, and best of all: People had fun.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2016 2:26:35 AM
I can agree with both Kaismic and Mike in some ways. DDO really use to have a great spread of members and great debates out there. DDO is what you want to make it. It is a canvis that you can paint and create, if you want to see certain things from the site, then you need to step up and make something happen. Try to expierence a large aspects of the site from debates, the forums to mafia and the polls section. There are many things and even though you may not like it these are all fun aspects to try. Sure voting is harder than what it use to be and sure some of the older debates no longer debate as well as probably no longer here. That's simply life here in DDO.

I love this site as I went through and I have explored all of these aspects, I enjoy reading all of these debates. I joined the Voter's Union for that reason as I love reading new topics and view points. I love going out and debating. There are some times where I'll get board and a lot of times I don't care for much that is in the Challenge period. That's when you go and make a debate, do an interesting topic that not a lot of people talk about of an interesting issue. Go crazy. Go play mafia and expierence that portion of the DDO community and enjoy games with each other. I've modded 9 games so far and played in a great amount. I enjoy a lot of these things on the site which is why I've been here for 4 years and will likely be here for more.

DDO is what you make it, not what you see.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~