Jump to topic:

Login timeouts

gizmo1650
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2010 6:56:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am not sure about other people, but when i type my arguments, i almost always get timed out when i go to submit. Luckily, i made a habit of coping my work before login back in because my browser does not always save it. I propose the followings possible solutions:

1) save login info as a session cookie, every time a new page is requested, validate the cookie against the list of users/passwords.

2) Slightly easier, and dirtier, solution. I notice that the timeout seams to renew every time a new page is opened. So you could make a completely blank page in the site, with only what is necessary to renew the timeout, and then react a key up event on every page that would send an XMLHttpRequest to the blank page.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2010 7:09:23 PM
Add it to the list: http://www.debate.org...
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
JuliaD
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 10:27:01 AM
Hi gizmo1650,

Thanks for the suggestion. We have recorded this request and will look into it and see if it can be included in our next push of fixes.

Thanks,
Julia
JuliaD
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2010 12:35:34 PM
We extended the session timeout in the hopes that it will alleviate if not completely address the timeout issues you are describing. You should know have approximately 60 minutes instead of 20 before the system will timeout.