Jump to topic:

Acquiring DDO from Juggle

ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 10:37:30 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Since juggle (are they still around?) has all but abandoned debate.org, I am considering purchasing debate.org from juggle.

My partner and I both have sufficient money to purchase the site and get it back in shape.

Updating the Preidential candidates would be my top priority, and my second one would be to update the big issues after the presidential election.

We would then work with the President of DDO to ensure that the site is ran with sufficient user input.
ThinkBig
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notable Notes and Quotable Quotes
"I GOT SIG'D"
"WELL FVCK ME IN THE A$SHOLE AND CALL ME A CUCK I GOT SIG'D AGAIN"
-Kiri
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig.
-7th
Need a judge or vote? Nominate me!!
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 10:42:02 PM
At 6/18/2016 10:37:30 PM, ThinkBig wrote:
Since juggle (are they still around?) has all but abandoned debate.org, I am considering purchasing debate.org from juggle.

My partner and I both have sufficient money to purchase the site and get it back in shape.

Updating the Preidential candidates would be my top priority, and my second one would be to update the big issues after the presidential election.

We would then work with the President of DDO to ensure that the site is ran with sufficient user input.

If you did try, and were serious, this is just about the worst way to go about it. Why post to the forum?
ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 10:43:17 PM
At 6/18/2016 10:42:02 PM, TBR wrote:

If you did try, and were serious, this is just about the worst way to go about it. Why post to the forum?

Because I want feedback from other members before I do.
ThinkBig
"I GOT SIG'D"
-Kiri
-7th
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 10:45:44 PM

If you have the funds available and want to purchase the site, then I'm not sure I understand what the purpose of this post is other than stating that fact.

Have you spoken to Juggle?

What do you believe is the amount of money that would make Juggle part with DDO?

Once you purchased the site, you'd have much more pressing issues than updating the big issues and working with the DDO president, so while I think those are good goals, have you given thought to those other issues, especially the financial ones?
Debate.org Moderator
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 10:46:09 PM

great idea! You wanna pay 2 million?
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 10:46:14 PM
At 6/18/2016 10:43:17 PM, ThinkBig wrote:

Have you contacted them? Do you have any idea what ball-park they would want? What operating expenses are you prepared for? Are you or your partner developers?
ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 10:48:31 PM
At 6/18/2016 10:46:14 PM, TBR wrote:

Have you contacted them? Do you have any idea what ball-park they would want? What operating expenses are you prepared for? Are you or your partner developers?

The net worth of DDO, and what they purchased it for, is about 200K. I have built websites before and aware of costs for hosting, maintenance, and security.
ThinkBig
"I GOT SIG'D"
-Kiri
-7th
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 10:53:03 PM

I have a four year working relationship with Juggle and I have no idea who you are, so while it's true that Juggle isn't investing in the site very much at this moment and that's an issue, I'd have to know more about you to even consider thinking you purchasing the site was a good idea.

Are you 21 (like your profile says)?

Have you made an acquisition like this before? Have you made any acquisitions before?

Do you have any development background? Do you have any business background?

Why do you want to purchase the site?

Do you have a long-term plan for making the site profitable? Or, do you intend to put a lot of money into the site (first the acquisition, and then development) just as a hobby?
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 10:55:17 PM
At 6/18/2016 10:48:31 PM, ThinkBig wrote:

The net worth of DDO, and what they purchased it for, is about 200K.

This has been my minimum conservative estimate too for a long time because Juggle purchased the site for just over 100K, and have spent a decent amount investing in it since then. I do think that acquiring the site would take a bit more than that though, for it to be worthwhile for Juggle.
Debate.org Moderator
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 10:56:12 PM
At 6/18/2016 10:48:31 PM, ThinkBig wrote:
At 6/18/2016 10:46:14 PM, TBR wrote:

The net worth of DDO, and what they purchased it for, is about 200K. I have built websites before and aware of costs for hosting, maintenance, and security.

Don't take this to harshly, but from that description I would say you are not even close to prepared to purchase the site.

On the tech side, if you are not a developer yourself, you will need to get some outside consistant help. Figure 100k year one for this spot (minimum). Fixing things like active candidates is nice, but its the portal to new users that need work. Polls and opinions are where the new hits come from, and there is piss-poor conversion to regular users because of the technical troubles there. Forums are going to need a complete rewrite. Its going to be a big investment.
ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 10:58:25 PM
At 6/18/2016 10:53:03 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

I have a four year working relationship with Juggle and I have no idea who you are, so while it's true that Juggle isn't investing in the site very much at this moment and that's an issue, I'd have to know more about you to even consider thinking you purchasing the site was a good idea.

I have been a member off and on since 2011. Originally joined as kohai

Yes

Have you made an acquisition like this before? Have you made any acquisitions before?

No.

I do have background in developing. I'm currently in college for undergrad. When I finish, I will be enrolling in an MD/MBA program

Do you have a long-term plan for making the site profitable? Or, do you intend to put a lot of money into the site (first the acquisition, and then development) just as a hobby?

My goal is to make the website profitable and to bring in new debaters and bring high quality debates to DDO. My plan to do this is to advertise DDO to debate teams and encourage them to join DDO.
ThinkBig
"I GOT SIG'D"
-Kiri
-7th
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 11:02:56 PM
At 6/18/2016 10:58:25 PM, ThinkBig wrote:

Oh, hey, I know exactly who you are then. Good to see you around again.

Yes

No.

I do have background in developing. I'm currently in college for undergrad. When I finish, I will be enrolling in an MD/MBA program

In that case then, I think you should continue to focus on school. Acquiring the site and having to deal with that type of investment isn't what I'd consider realistic or beneficial at this point in your life.

My goal is to make the website profitable and to bring in new debaters and bring high quality debates to DDO. My plan to do this is to advertise DDO to debate teams and encourage them to join DDO.

That's fair enough, and I think it's commendable, but this idea doesn't sound too realistic to me. But, I know you have a passion for the site, and if one day you are able to and do decide to purchase the site, I wish you the best of luck.
Debate.org Moderator
ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 11:05:44 PM
At 6/18/2016 11:02:56 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Yes

No.

In that case then, I think you should continue to focus on school. Acquiring the site and having to deal with that type of investment isn't what I'd consider realistic or beneficial at this point in your life.

That's fair enough, and I think it's commendable, but this idea doesn't sound too realistic to me. But, I know you have a passion for the site, and if one day you are able to and do decide to purchase the site, I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you for your honest feedback. This is why I originally posted to the forums first.
ThinkBig
"I GOT SIG'D"
-Kiri
-7th
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 11:18:28 PM

My only request is you add a forum just for me, in which I can post osu videos and people will watch them ;3
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 11:35:25 PM

If you want to purchase the site from Juggle and give it to someone who cares about the site and is competent, then give 200K to airmax and he'll make this site great again.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 11:36:32 PM
I think the best thing that can happen for DDO is to have around 50-100 members pitch in from $100 to $500 and buy Juggle collectively. We'd then all share it based on what percentage of the price we paid. We'd elect a board of directors and a chairman and CEO (DDO elections are actually going to matter) who will moderate the site and take care of it on a larger scale. I expect Airmax would be a shoe-in for chairman. Airmax continues moderating while taking input from the users. If we as shareholders are unhappy with that, we call for a board meeting, and find a new CEO. That way all technical parts of the site will be entirely under our control and we can run it how we wish. We can make team debates, set the default to select winner, update presidents, update big issues, whatever we need to make the site run smoothly. We have a lot of programmers on the site. We just need two things:

1. Around 50-100 members who are willing to pay around $100-$500 to buy the site.
2. Consent from Juggle to actually sell it.
Midnight1131
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 11:42:44 PM
At 6/18/2016 11:37:19 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
Buy DDO I mean, not Juggle, lol.

Buying Juggle would work just as well though.
#GaryJohnson2016
#TaxationisTheft
#TheftisTaxation
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/18/2016 11:51:59 PM
At 6/18/2016 11:36:32 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:
I think the best thing that can happen for DDO is to have around 50-100 members pitch in from $100 to $500 and buy Juggle collectively. We'd then all share it based on what percentage of the price we paid. We'd elect a board of directors and a chairman and CEO (DDO elections are actually going to matter) who will moderate the site and take care of it on a larger scale. I expect Airmax would be a shoe-in for chairman. Airmax continues moderating while taking input from the users. If we as shareholders are unhappy with that, we call for a board meeting, and find a new CEO. That way all technical parts of the site will be entirely under our control and we can run it how we wish. We can make team debates, set the default to select winner, update presidents, update big issues, whatever we need to make the site run smoothly. We have a lot of programmers on the site. We just need two things:

1. Around 50-100 members who are willing to pay around $100-$500 to buy the site.

Schema like this have some merit. Users that want out can be bought out. Quarterly fundraisers for initial expenses through a couple years etc. It could work.
Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 12:06:17 AM

Updating the Presidential candidates would be my top priority, and my second one would be to update the big issues after the presidential election.

This is a very interesting forum. I have been on this site for about one year and have learned and expanded my knowledge on the sites origins. I think buying the site from Juggle would be a great idea. But, not from a twenty-one year old college student.

Also, Airmax said stated Financial issues. What financial issues does this site have exactly?
Please vote on this debate: http://www.debate.org...
"You have displayed the political understanding of a tortoise thus far in this election" -Harder
Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 12:08:35 AM
At 6/18/2016 11:05:44 PM, ThinkBig wrote:
At 6/18/2016 11:02:56 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

Yes

No.

Thank you for your honest feedback. This is why I originally posted to the forums first.

By the way... The Juggle headquarters are in Swansea, Illinois. If anyone lives near that area I would contact them one on one.
"You have displayed the political understanding of a tortoise thus far in this election" -Harder
ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 12:22:15 AM
At 6/18/2016 11:36:32 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

That is only 500-50000. Certainly won't be enough.
ThinkBig
"I GOT SIG'D"
-Kiri
-7th
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 12:23:27 AM
At 6/19/2016 12:06:17 AM, Lsumichiganfan wrote:

Also, Airmax said stated Financial issues. What financial issues does this site have exactly?

I was referring to operational costs. It's not enough to just, at a minimum, pay 200k for the site, but once it is acquired, the site would require a continued investment of resources to maintain and improve.
Debate.org Moderator
Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 12:24:55 AM
At 6/19/2016 12:23:27 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

I was referring to operational costs. It's not enough to just, at a minimum, pay 200k for the site, but once it is acquired, the site would require a continued investment of resources to maintain and improve.

Ah ok.

By the way.. Who is posting on the DDO facebook account? Juggle?
ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 12:27:18 AM
At 6/19/2016 12:24:55 AM, Lsumichiganfan wrote:

Ah ok.

DDO Facebook hasn't been updated in a long time, neither have the DDO blogs.
ThinkBig
"I GOT SIG'D"
-Kiri
-7th
Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 12:28:48 AM
At 6/19/2016 12:27:18 AM, ThinkBig wrote:

Ah ok.

I just saw a post recently on the DDO Facebook page
ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 12:31:45 AM
At 6/19/2016 12:28:48 AM, Lsumichiganfan wrote:

Ah ok.

Last post was on October 2015
ThinkBig
"I GOT SIG'D"
-Kiri
-7th
Lsumichiganfan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 12:33:30 AM
At 6/19/2016 12:31:45 AM, ThinkBig wrote:
At 6/19/2016 12:28:48 AM, Lsumichiganfan wrote:

Ah ok.

Last post was on October 2015

Oh. I must of read the date wrong.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 12:36:29 AM
At 6/18/2016 11:35:25 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

If you want to purchase the site from Juggle and give it to someone who cares about the site and is competent, then give 200K to airmax and he'll make this site great again.

I've had this discussion with members many times, and if it was just about a one time payment of 200K, then I would consider it, and it wouldn't be something unrealistic for me to consider. However, while the idea of owning the site might have some appeal for me, and from a financial perspective isn't out of the question, I know that it wouldn't be just one payment of 200K, it would be something I'd have to invest a lot more into - at least double that initial payment just as a starting point for consideration (not to mention the time and effort to make sure it is a financial success - which is ironic I suppose in the view of some since I spend a lot of time on it now for no tangible benefit). But more importantly, and a greater barrier for me to consider this than the financial aspects, is that DDO would then turn into something else entirely for me, rather than just the hobby I enjoy.
Debate.org Moderator
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/19/2016 12:37:55 AM
At 6/19/2016 12:36:29 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 6/18/2016 11:35:25 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

I've had this discussion with members many times, and if it was just about a one time payment of 200K, then I would consider it, and it wouldn't be something unrealistic for me to consider. However, while the idea of owning the site might have some appeal for me, and from a financial perspective isn't out of the question, I know that it wouldn't be just one payment of 200K, it would be something I'd have to invest a lot more into - at least double that initial payment just as a starting point for consideration (not to mention the time and effort to make sure it is a financial success - which is ironic I suppose in the view of some since I spend a lot of time on it now for no tangible benefit). But more importantly, and a greater barrier for me to consider this than the financial aspects, is that DDO would then turn into something else entirely for me, rather than just the hobby I enjoy.

How can a sane person enjoy doing what you do?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...