Jump to topic:

Debate on Vote Moderation Standards

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 7:21:37 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
I would like to shamelessly advertise a debate here about the effects of vote moderation on Debate.org. This is an issue that is discussed quite often in the forums, in generally a negative light. As someone who has personally seen voting bettered in the past (in my opinion this directly correlates with the enforcement of moderation), I would like to see if anyone would like to defend "The old voting" on DDO vs "The new voting".

http://www.debate.org...

The reason I am making a thread about this, is because this is a site specific topic. I don't know how many active forum members browse the challenge period section anymore, but this debate has a narrowed topic field, and I figure a vocal current member may find interest in this debate where they otherwise might not have seen it.

If you want to debate, but do not meet the Elo requirement, let me know here and I will look over your past debates before changing the acceptance standards.

I hope this debate will lead to some beneficial discussion on site moderation policies.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 10:28:30 PM
Catch 22

If pro-moderation wins, that's a point in favor of vote moderation.
If anti-moderation wins, it'll because it got the most votes. But the votes are under moderation so this shows that vote moderation "works" so it's a point in favor of vote moderation.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2016 10:31:16 PM
At 6/21/2016 7:21:37 PM, TUF wrote:
I would like to shamelessly advertise a debate here about the effects of vote moderation on Debate.org. This is an issue that is discussed quite often in the forums, in generally a negative light. As someone who has personally seen voting bettered in the past (in my opinion this directly correlates with the enforcement of moderation), I would like to see if anyone would like to defend "The old voting" on DDO vs "The new voting".

The reason I am making a thread about this, is because this is a site specific topic. I don't know how many active forum members browse the challenge period section anymore, but this debate has a narrowed topic field, and I figure a vocal current member may find interest in this debate where they otherwise might not have seen it.

If you want to debate, but do not meet the Elo requirement, let me know here and I will look over your past debates before changing the acceptance standards.

I hope this debate will lead to some beneficial discussion on site moderation policies.

This looks to be a great debate!
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 12:07:28 AM
At 6/21/2016 10:28:30 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
Catch 22

If anti-moderation wins, it'll because it got the most votes. But the votes are under moderation so this shows that vote moderation "works" so it's a point in favor of vote moderation.

If anti-moderation lose it doesn't invalidate their arguments it just invalidates their ability to more effectively debate. Considering I'm a bad debater it won't likely be the case. And I don't usually have votes moderated on my debates so I think it will be a non issue.
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 12:20:03 AM
Someday I may debate this topic with math.

And it would be fun to read. I'm not even kidding.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 1:07:42 PM
Catch 22

I am re-opening this challenge if you are interested in taking it.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 1:38:59 PM
At 6/22/2016 1:07:42 PM, TUF wrote:
Catch 22

I am re-opening this challenge if you are interested in taking it.

No, I am not interested in debating or voting on this site. Sorry.
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 2:39:39 PM
At 6/21/2016 7:21:37 PM, TUF wrote:

I disagree with you. Vote moderation isn't positive.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 2:40:43 PM
At 6/22/2016 2:39:39 PM, fire_wings wrote:

especially not for you.
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 2:41:18 PM
At 6/22/2016 2:40:43 PM, TUF wrote:

especially not for you.

I know, I'm not going to debate it, just saying a disagree with you.

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 2:41:52 PM
At 6/22/2016 2:41:18 PM, fire_wings wrote:

especially not for you.

I wouldn't have let you debate it anyway lol.
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 2:42:51 PM
At 6/22/2016 2:41:52 PM, TUF wrote:
At 6/22/2016 2:41:18 PM, fire_wings wrote:

especially not for you.

I wouldn't have let you debate it anyway lol.

Cause I messed up the debate, I know.

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 3:57:47 PM

especially not for you.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass