Jump to topic:

Abolitionism and elections

Vox_Veritas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 3:47:38 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
According to abolitionists, one of the primary problems with a presidency is that elections are held every 6 months, which become major sources of drama.
If the abolitionists win but the elections still happen every 6 months, then what was the freaking point?
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 5:24:20 PM
At 6/22/2016 3:47:38 PM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
According to abolitionists, one of the primary problems with a presidency is that elections are held every 6 months, which become major sources of drama.
If the abolitionists win but the elections still happen every 6 months, then what was the freaking point?

I dont think that anyone has ever once said that the reason they are against the presidency is because 'elections take place every 6 months'....
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 5:51:07 PM
At 6/22/2016 5:24:20 PM, imabench wrote:

I dont think that anyone has ever once said that the reason they are against the presidency is because 'elections take place every 6 months'....

Then why are you against the presidency?
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 5:56:38 PM

I think you miss the point of how abolitionism would come about.

Nature abhors a vaccuum. If an abolitionist was voted in, and just immediately "stepped down" or abdicated, or whatever. Then a pro-presidency person will just step in. Basically people will call for a reelection and that'll keep happening till a president is elected.

So, we need a form of "positive" abolitionism. That is, the person is technically "president" but does nothing. They don't step down, thereby not leaving a position open to be occupied, but also does nothing. So they are president in title only.

Come time when it would be the next election, there are some case scenarios:

1. Abolitionism works to the point people just up and forget about the presidency and/or there isn't enough desire to keep it around and no election happens.

2. Enough people in support of the presidency are around to force an election cycle to happen in which case the results will be: a new president is elected, indicating failure of abolitionism, or the abolitionist president is reelected, indicating a success.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 6:12:07 PM
At 6/22/2016 5:51:07 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

The race has been going on for almost 3 months now, the election is 2 weeks away, and you still are ignorant enough to not know why I am running to abolish the presidency? XD
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2016 6:14:01 PM
At 6/22/2016 6:12:07 PM, imabench wrote:
At 6/22/2016 5:51:07 PM, F-16_Fighting_Falcon wrote:

The race has been going on for almost 3 months now, the election is 2 weeks away, and you still are ignorant enough to not know why I am running to abolish the presidency? XD

I was going to say that you are against the presidency because you wanted to stop drama. But here you are claiming that isn't the case. So, I want to give you an opportunity to use your own words rather than put words in your mouth.