Jump to topic:

People

vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 2:27:40 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
This is a small community. How long do you think it will take before this place is filled with people, I know it will never be youtube but still this place ought to grow. Or will it always be a small place?
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 2:37:07 PM
It will always be a small place, most likely. It's been around for 3 years and hasn't seen exceptional growth in that space of time.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 2:53:28 PM
The owners of this site paid $130,000 dollars for this website. Conisdering that phil was only making $5 a day off this website, that's a 71.23 price per earnings (with an assumption that the owner puts no effort and leaves it intact). Of course, overpriced unless the owner thinks this has great potential for growth.

However, not only do the owners look like there going to put more effort than phil but there are more people working on it then before. (increase in expenditures)

Quite simply, debate.org is expected to grow, or else the owners made a bad business deal.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 3:14:00 PM
There is no doubt that the site has grown since I first came here. I has been growing steadily since then, just at a slowish rate.

When I started there were, at most, 15-20 regular users at a time. There are many more that can be considered regulars now. If you also include the number of people who come here semi-regularly, or that come around to check back in every once in awhile, then we see even more of an increase.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 4:46:08 PM
If i invested that sort of money in a site like this, i would have definite plans in increasing the traffic. I think that Phil's personal preferences for the way this site should be restrained his full marketing potential for this site. The new owners i am guessing have far less restraint in that area. Their prime motive will be to get a return on their investment by way of increasing traffic and clicks.
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 5:39:33 PM
When Phil did advertise it was actually pretty successful. I myself found this page through an ad on facebook. I know when I came there were several others who found their way here similarly. At some point he just stopped advertising entirely.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 5:45:12 PM
If you read through the Juggle site, it seems aimed at generating traffic by offering superior content. This is conjecture, but I'm thinking that they aim to generate traffic by hosting superior content by hosting superior debates, not necessarily by driving up DDO membership into the tens of thousands, but instead by having our best debates more widely read.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
JBlake
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 5:47:52 PM
At 12/17/2010 5:45:12 PM, bluesteel wrote:
If you read through the Juggle site, it seems aimed at generating traffic by offering superior content. This is conjecture, but I'm thinking that they aim to generate traffic by hosting superior content by hosting superior debates, not necessarily by driving up DDO membership into the tens of thousands, but instead by having our best debates more widely read.

This is the impression I get from them as well. Their stated goal is to make this the premier debating website on the internet.
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 6:32:12 PM
At 12/17/2010 5:47:52 PM, JBlake wrote:

This is the impression I get from them as well. Their stated goal is to make this the premier debating website on the internet.

I hope that this is true :)
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
Alex
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 7:12:09 PM
If this site gets huge, i just wanna say..Don't forget about the older members :)
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 7:21:28 PM

Then we should restore the "like/dislike" function and have debates displayed on the main page accordingly. The Facebook like buttons don't really do any good considering DDO isn't even advertised on Facebook, and hardly anyone uses them anyway.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 7:25:32 PM
This is already the best debating site on the internet, we just need people to know it.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 7:41:17 PM
At 12/17/2010 7:12:09 PM, alex_hanson911 wrote:
If this site gets huge, i just wanna say..Don't forget about the older members :)

We won't be forgotten. We might be like the Godfathers, just day dreaming lol but if this website is about to be filled then Ill get exceedingly many debate wins in a row, it won't be funny. Hence I'm a Godfather aaa I just can't get that idea out of my head.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 9:06:24 PM
I don't picture any growth this site does not take kindly to people who just come here to have fun, while making their mediocre arguments. If you aren't intelligent off the bat, the people will run you off this site. Some people on this site can make really nasty comments that can completely tank a person's self esteem and interest on this site. I do not picture any growth at all, hell i can even imagine a decline. Sooner or later the regulars on this site will grow up (meaning go to college, or get jobs) and leave this site for good. The only person i can truly see staying for like ever is RoyLatham.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 9:18:57 PM
At 12/17/2010 9:06:24 PM, Loserboi wrote:
I don't picture any growth this site does not take kindly to people who just come here to have fun, while making their mediocre arguments. If you aren't intelligent off the bat, the people will run you off this site. Some people on this site can make really nasty comments that can completely tank a person's self esteem and interest on this site. I do not picture any growth at all, hell i can even imagine a decline. Sooner or later the regulars on this site will grow up (meaning go to college, or get jobs) and leave this site for good. The only person i can truly see staying for like ever is RoyLatham.

If anything this website has been more about fun then about creating good debates.

Also, many of us are already in college and/or have jobs.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 9:27:36 PM
At 12/17/2010 9:18:57 PM, darkkermit wrote:

If anything this website has been more about fun then about creating good debates.

Also, many of us are already in college and/or have jobs.

when i joined everyone was in high school and people seemed to have quit from my time like NAGS
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 9:30:44 PM

Wait.

Your problem is that the users currently on DDO expect new users to be intelligent?

And that somehow this attitude will cut down on the number of people joining?

I didn't know intelligent people were extinct.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 9:39:11 PM
At 12/17/2010 9:30:44 PM, annhasle wrote:

Wait.

Your problem is that the users currently on DDO expect new users to be intelligent?

And that somehow this attitude will cut down on the number of people joining?

I didn't know intelligent people were extinct.

They are getting rare, or are hiding.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 9:46:52 PM
At 12/17/2010 9:39:11 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
It depends on what is mean by "intelligent." Almost every single person is intelligent to one point or another. If people mean more intelligent than the average, then I see no reason why we actually need that here. Anyone can join. I think that a person who values good behavior but lacks "high" intelligent is more welcome here than one with a high IQ but horrible behavior if you ask me. Intelligence and knowledge are two different things, in case people don't know. One can be intelligent but stupid as a door, or one can be very knowledgeable but not very intelligent. Again, nobody knows everything, nobody should pretend to know everything, and to your interest, nobody here is superior to anyone you find in the world. Intelligence is not the key interest of this site if you ask me. But yes, there are people here who boast about their knowledge and intelligence - you can ignore that. You can find fascinating people who never boast of their good qualities, and they even have the most kind manners and ways of arguing. We need more of those on this site or anywhere else.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 9:52:25 PM
At 12/17/2010 9:46:52 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/17/2010 9:39:11 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
It depends on what is mean by "intelligent." Almost every single person is intelligent to one point or another. If people mean more intelligent than the average, then I see no reason why we actually need that here. Anyone can join. I think that a person who values good behavior but lacks "high" intelligent is more welcome here than one with a high IQ but horrible behavior if you ask me. Intelligence and knowledge are two different things, in case people don't know. One can be intelligent but stupid as a door, or one can be very knowledgeable but not very intelligent. Again, nobody knows everything, nobody should pretend to know everything, and to your interest, nobody here is superior to anyone you find in the world. Intelligence is not the key interest of this site if you ask me. But yes, there are people here who boast about their knowledge and intelligence - you can ignore that. You can find fascinating people who never boast of their good qualities, and they even have the most kind manners and ways of arguing. We need more of those on this site or anywhere else.

The more the intelligent the person, the stronger the arguments, or at least usually. I would like to see many different kinds of people on this site, but I would always choose a more intelligent person to debate, if I had the choice.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 9:54:33 PM
At 12/17/2010 9:52:25 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
The more the intelligent the person, the stronger the arguments, or at least usually. I would like to see many different kinds of people on this site, but I would always choose a more intelligent person to debate, if I had the choice.
Again, intelligence is not equivalent to knowledge. People do not have to be very intelligent in order to have good debates. Imagine if people have knowledge about the topics they debate, good manners, etc. Put that into a debate and you see good conduct with debates which stick to the topic - no attacks, insults, etc. That is what I prefer. I don't prefer some arrogant people to come here and boast about how smart (they think) they are or how intelligent (they think) they are. It's waste of space.
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 9:59:26 PM
At 12/17/2010 9:54:33 PM, Mirza wrote:
At 12/17/2010 9:52:25 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
Again, intelligence is not equivalent to knowledge. People do not have to be very intelligent in order to have good debates. Imagine if people have knowledge about the topics they debate, good manners, etc. Put that into a debate and you see good conduct with debates which stick to the topic - no attacks, insults, etc. That is what I prefer. I don't prefer some arrogant people to come here and boast about how smart (they think) they are or how intelligent (they think) they are. It's waste of space.

Fair enough. I agree, for the most part, but I would still rather debate an intelligent person because their arguments are more coherent, and they are able to retain more knowledge when preparing for the debate. I also am not a fan of personal attacks within a debate.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2010 10:02:39 PM
At 12/17/2010 9:59:26 PM, gavin.ogden wrote:
Fair enough. I agree, for the most part, but I would still rather debate an intelligent person because their arguments are more coherent, and they are able to retain more knowledge when preparing for the debate. I also am not a fan of personal attacks within a debate.
How do you define "intelligence"?