Jump to topic:

DDO President elections

rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 7:29:15 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Voting for people who are officially running for president is like sitting around with great hair waiting for people to hit on you. It drastically reduces the talent pool.

We need to lose the convention of being so passive. We need to go out and vote for who we want whether they're "running" or not.

I want Cermank and Raisor as presidents. They're not running; I don't care.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 7:30:22 AM
After all this drama, I'm really burnt out on DDO politics to the point where I'm pretty much appathetic at this point.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 7:33:07 AM
At 6/26/2016 7:30:22 AM, lannan13 wrote:
After all this drama, I'm really burnt out on DDO politics to the point where I'm pretty much appathetic at this point.

Well sure. That's another reason. Don't reward people who are running. Reward people who AREN'T running.
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 7:42:47 AM
At 6/26/2016 7:29:15 AM, rross wrote:
Voting for people who are officially running for president is like sitting around with great hair waiting for people to hit on you. It drastically reduces the talent pool.

We need to lose the convention of being so passive. We need to go out and vote for who we want whether they're "running" or not.

Well, technically if the majority votes for someone even if they're not running then that person has to be president. Which means you can "technically" vote for mods, users who aren't even here, and anyone really.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 7:51:11 AM
At 6/26/2016 7:42:47 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Well, technically if the majority votes for someone even if they're not running then that person has to be president. Which means you can "technically" vote for mods, users who aren't even here, and anyone really.

Yes exactly. Everyone should vote for who they want, whether or not they are running. If that happens, we get the best presidents AND reduce the motivation for these ongoing election campaigns, which used to be entertaining, but are not any more. They've lost their pizzazz, if that's a word.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 8:00:42 AM
Maybe I should have called this thread, who do you want as president? And then people could say their ideas. There's a lot of people who'd be good who aren't running.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 8:02:45 AM
Power to the people.

Sorry if that's a slogan from an offensive organization. It just popped into my head. I don't know where from. The sentiment seems fine.
donald.keller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 3:08:07 PM
The two problems with this is:
1) Someone who wasn't running is suddenly elected... Now he has to be president. Whether he wants to or not, he is expected to be something he doesn't want to be.

2) Rewarding someone for not running makes no sense. In no way is 'not running' grounds to be rewarded. Choosing to run or not run does nothing to effect whether they deserve the honor of being President.
-- Don't forget to submit your unvoted debates to the Voter's Union --

OFFICIAL DK/TUF 2016 Platform: http://www.debate.org...

My Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com...
#SaveThePresidency
#SaveTheSite

-- DK/TUF 2016 --
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 3:10:52 PM
At 6/26/2016 3:08:07 PM, donald.keller wrote:
1) Someone who wasn't running is suddenly elected... Now he has to be president. Whether he wants to or not, he is expected to be something he doesn't want to be.

He or she. Yeah. But the president isn't a specific role. They can do whatever, including nothing.

2) Rewarding someone for not running makes no sense. In no way is 'not running' grounds to be rewarded. Choosing to run or not run does nothing to effect whether they deserve the honor of being President.

Exactly. :)
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 3:37:08 PM
At 6/26/2016 3:08:07 PM, donald.keller wrote:

OMG, it would be so funny if we did this to someone. Like a noob too, we tell them they were elected president of DDO and they're like, "wait, what? I've only been here 12 hours?" lmao
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 5:07:10 PM
Airmax1227 for President 2016
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 5:21:08 PM
At 6/26/2016 5:07:10 PM, PetersSmith wrote:

Aw, he was president when I started. Hehe. That would be funny to vote him in, actually, just to see his response.

But. The important thing is that if we the people WANT Airmax as president, we should HAVE Airmax as president. Nothing should stop us!
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 1:55:02 AM
At 6/26/2016 5:07:10 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 4:42:58 AM

I wish we could vote for the offices we want, whether they exist or not.

Airmax for perpetual monarch!
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 4:49:59 AM
At 6/27/2016 4:42:58 AM, philochristos wrote:

haha I appreciate the shout-out, though I don't know if I'm the right guy for Perpetual Monarch
Debate.org Moderator
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 4:50:47 AM
At 6/27/2016 4:49:59 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

haha I appreciate the shout-out, though I don't know if I'm the right guy for Perpetual Monarch

That reminds me of a scene from _The Life of Brian_. :-)
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 4:54:49 AM
At 6/27/2016 4:50:47 AM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/27/2016 4:49:59 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

That reminds me of a scene from _The Life of Brian_. :-)

haha great reference

I think I have my hands full enough though as Evil Despotic Moderation Overlord... but a title change couldn't hurt
Debate.org Moderator
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 4:55:58 AM

I would totally vote for Cermank and Raisor.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 12:12:13 PM
At 6/27/2016 4:55:58 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I would totally vote for Cermank and Raisor.

Yeah. They'd be great. Unless they got corrupted by power.
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 12:17:15 PM

Wow. I hadn't even realized that I'd internalized that restriction of thinking only of presidents. Even though the term president is drab and irritating. You're right.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 1:22:52 PM

What do you expect the end result of this to be, other than a lost vote?
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 1:29:33 PM
At 6/27/2016 1:22:52 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:

Maybe next time someone popular will present it as if it's their own idea and it will catch on. :P
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 1:55:15 PM

I don't see why it would need to be a lost vote. According to the polls, the most popular candidate is on 20 votes. It wouldn't be impossible to top that.

The presidency as it is is kinda broken. The president has an undefined role and candidates are coming up with ridiculous programs just to value add. There's no real passion.

What if we treated it like an honorary position, similar to the hall of fame? We voted in someone awesome, who didn't need to make any promises, and they could do what the liked for six months in power?

I mean it - why restrict ourselves to people who are running?
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 1:57:57 PM
At 6/27/2016 1:55:15 PM, rross wrote:

I don't see why it would need to be a lost vote. According to the polls, the most popular candidate is on 20 votes. It wouldn't be impossible to top that.

The presidency as it is is kinda broken. The president has an undefined role and candidates are coming up with ridiculous programs just to value add. There's no real passion.

What if we treated it like an honorary position, similar to the hall of fame? We voted in someone awesome, who didn't need to make any promises, and they could do what the liked for six months in power?

Again, what do you expect the end result of this to be?
rross
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 2:05:53 PM
At 6/27/2016 1:57:57 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:

I expect people to make a few comments on the thread and for nothing to change. But u never know. Why do you ask?
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 4:02:50 PM
At 6/27/2016 2:05:53 PM, rross wrote:
At 6/27/2016 1:57:57 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:

I expect people to make a few comments on the thread and for nothing to change. But u never know. Why do you ask?

Because I assume there was a point to this proposal. Guess I was wrong.