Jump to topic:

Voting Extensions

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 8:45:49 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
I think there should be a way to re-open the voting period of tied debates with ZERO votes. While it would certainly be problematic to extend the voting period of tied debates in general (though I wouldn't be completely opposed to that option) it's incredibly frustrating when you spend hours on a debate, only for it to end in a tie. I think one week voting periods are absurd for that reason; nobody wants to read debates on this site. I have about 20 debates that have ended in ties that weren't forfeited because nobody voted. I believe that if the voting period ends with ZERO votes on it, the voting period should automatically be extended for the same amount of time the voting period was set for. Again it's only for tied debates with no votes. Thoughts?
President of DDO
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 8:52:11 PM
At 6/26/2016 8:45:49 PM, Danielle wrote:
I think there should be a way to re-open the voting period of tied debates with ZERO votes. While it would certainly be problematic to extend the voting period of tied debates in general (though I wouldn't be completely opposed to that option) it's incredibly frustrating when you spend hours on a debate, only for it to end in a tie. I think one week voting periods are absurd for that reason; nobody wants to read debates on this site. I have about 20 debates that have ended in ties that weren't forfeited because nobody voted. I believe that if the voting period ends with ZERO votes on it, the voting period should automatically be extended for the same amount of time the voting period was set for. Again it's only for tied debates with no votes. Thoughts?

I think this is a fine idea, and I can't think of any reasons why I or anyone else should be opposed to it.
Debate.org Moderator
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 8:54:58 PM

I think voting periods should end after a certain number of votes, not an amount of time. That would guarantee that every debate gets multiple votes before the post voting period.
I don't have a signature. :-)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 9:00:49 PM
At 6/26/2016 8:54:58 PM, Bob13 wrote:
I think voting periods should end after a certain number of votes, not an amount of time. That would guarantee that every debate gets multiple votes before the post voting period.

That is another good proposal, although I would suggest the number be low (since not a lot of people like to read) and also an odd number minimum. Maybe 3 or 5. Perhaps a mix of both standards could be useful. I see the utility in this suggestion but I think the voting extension on time is the simplest and most fair option that doesn't really have any arguments against it.

So how do the "powers" that be go about implementing this? Is there a DDO "president" that can make themselves useful by implementing this option?
President of DDO
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 9:04:06 PM
At 6/26/2016 9:00:49 PM, Danielle wrote:

That is another good proposal, although I would suggest the number be low (since not a lot of people like to read) and also an odd number minimum. Maybe 3 or 5. Perhaps a mix of both standards could be useful. I see the utility in this suggestion but I think the voting extension on time is the simplest and most fair option that doesn't really have any arguments against it.

So how do the "powers" that be go about implementing this? Is there a DDO "president" that can make themselves useful by implementing this option?

I suppose no one can except for Juggle.
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 9:29:18 PM

good idea.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 9:39:19 PM
I support the first idea in this thread. I also support it if applied to tied debates in general (which admittedly would be annoying for non-scoring debates, but those are rare).

I oppose the idea of the voting period ending with a fixed number of votes instead of time. Such would actually encourage increased vote trading, specifically locked in votes to be placed quickly to prevent votes from actually judges from being able to happen.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 10:11:49 PM
Danielle, unfortunately the only ones who could effect this change would be juggle, and as far as I am aware, no one has heard from them for a couple years.
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 10:24:57 PM
At 6/26/2016 10:11:49 PM, TUF wrote:
Danielle, unfortunately the only ones who could effect this change would be juggle, and as far as I am aware, no one has heard from them for a couple years.

Thanks, do you think that your administration could have a more can do attitude. Maybe get creative instead of throwing your hands in the air everytime somebody suggests a way to improve the site.

Fvck I hope 1harder being a bit younger will help him not recognize limits and actually more easily push through them.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 10:28:23 PM
Great idea, I'd like to see this implemented.
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 10:32:10 PM
At 6/26/2016 9:39:19 PM, Ragnar wrote:
I support the first idea in this thread. I also support it if applied to tied debates in general (which admittedly would be annoying for non-scoring debates, but those are rare).

I oppose the idea of the voting period ending with a fixed number of votes instead of time. Such would actually encourage increased vote trading, specifically locked in votes to be placed quickly to prevent votes from actually judges from being able to happen.

That can easily be prevented. If we require that a few days pass after the final vote before the voting period ends, that would give Whiteflame enough time to remove votes that don't meet moderation standards.
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 10:40:22 PM
At 6/26/2016 10:32:10 PM, Bob13 wrote:

I oppose the idea of the voting period ending with a fixed number of votes instead of time. Such would actually encourage increased vote trading, specifically locked in votes to be placed quickly to prevent votes from actual[] judges [] being able to happen.

That can easily be prevented. If we require that a few days pass after the final vote before the voting period ends, that would give Whiteflame enough time to remove votes that don't meet moderation standards.

Your original writeup did not contain that, it seemed to be a near opposite.

Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 10:44:12 PM
At 6/26/2016 10:40:22 PM, Ragnar wrote:

I oppose the idea of the voting period ending with a fixed number of votes instead of time. Such would actually encourage increased vote trading, specifically locked in votes to be placed quickly to prevent votes from actual[] judges [] being able to happen.

I thought it would be implied that insufficient votes wouldn't count.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 10:45:36 PM
At 6/26/2016 8:52:11 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

I think this is a fine idea, and I can't think of any reasons why I or anyone else should be opposed to it.

*gasp*
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 11:18:07 PM
At 6/26/2016 10:44:12 PM, Bob13 wrote:
At 6/26/2016 10:40:22 PM, Ragnar wrote:

I thought it would be implied that insufficient votes wouldn't count.

Number of votes causing a debate to close off to more votes, instead of some amount of time set by the instigator. That really does not imply much. You might have a fine idea, but you'll want to think it over and make a real write-up on it.

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2016 11:25:35 PM

+1
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
TUF
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 4:38:09 AM
At 6/26/2016 10:24:57 PM, Wylted wrote:

Thanks, do you think that your administration could have a more can do attitude. Maybe get creative instead of throwing your hands in the air everytime somebody suggests a way to improve the site.

Weren't you gonna meet juggle or something? What happened with that? I am a realist, they are gone for now.

Fvck I hope 1harder being a bit younger will help him not recognize limits and actually more easily push through them.

Gfy. :)
"I've got to go and grab a shirt" ~ Airmax1227
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 4:48:32 AM
At 6/27/2016 4:38:09 AM, TUF wrote:
At 6/26/2016 10:24:57 PM, Wylted wrote:

Weren't you gonna meet juggle or something? What happened with that? I am a realist, they are gone for now.

Only if I won. I am not rewarding people for voting against me. I am a pragmatist.

Being realistic is a problem. Mr. Bannister would have never broken the 4 minute mile if ge was realistic.

Gfy. :)
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 4:52:30 AM
At 6/26/2016 10:45:36 PM, Hayd wrote:

*gasp*

haha are you shocked by my comment?

The problem with the suggestion, as reasonable as it and its variants are, is that it requires a site update that unfortunately just isn't very likely right now.
Debate.org Moderator
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 5:24:34 AM
At 6/27/2016 4:52:30 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
The problem with the suggestion, as reasonable as it and its variants are, is that it requires a site update that unfortunately just isn't very likely right now.

I'll make it happen