Total Posts:46|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Do people have a right not to be offended?

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 3:09:36 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
Do people have a right not to be offended as may justify banning people for calling other people "idiots" or "stupid"?

That is the question of the hour. What say you?

Note, we're not talking about doing things like telling people that they should kill themselves (conduct that the site president has engaged in). No, we're talking about just your garden variety calling people "idiots" or "stupid".

Is that enough? Does that justify banning someone?
Tsar of DDO
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 3:15:43 AM
I'd say just telling someone to kill themselves doesn't warrant a ban, but literally every post I've ever made does.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 3:16:31 AM
At 6/27/2016 3:15:43 AM, SeventhProfessor wrote:
I'd say just telling someone to kill themselves doesn't warrant a ban, but literally every post I've ever made does.

Oh I agree that telling someone to kill themselves shouldn't merit a ban, but as a point of comparison, it is vastly worse than anything I have ever done.
Tsar of DDO
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 3:16:40 AM
At 6/27/2016 3:09:36 AM, YYW wrote:
Do people have a right not to be offended as may justify banning people for calling other people "idiots" or "stupid"?

No, we don't have the right to not be offended. Regarding this in relation to DDO, we're on a fvcking debate site. People should be challenged. Calling out someone's stupidity should be encouraged. If one desires not to be offended, they should stay as far as they can from this site. Hell, everyone's going to be offended whether they're on the site or not.

Note, we're not talking about doing things like telling people that they should kill themselves (conduct that the site president has engaged in). No, we're talking about just your garden variety calling people "idiots" or "stupid".

~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 3:19:36 AM

No.
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 3:25:33 AM
Isn't it sad that we've come to this point... it's pathetic. And it's not even Max's fault; he's just the instrument of very bad pressure coming from very bad and toxic members who endeavor to influence him.
Tsar of DDO
TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 3:25:36 AM
At 6/27/2016 3:16:31 AM, YYW wrote:

Oh I agree that telling someone to kill themselves shouldn't merit a ban, but as a point of comparison, it is vastly worse than anything I have ever done.

And why not?!
TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 3:26:49 AM

Why doesn't it?
TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 3:31:59 AM

Oh I've been called worse (harrytruman) insulted via religion and sexuality (peterssmith) and banned from saying things about one person. No ban.

Calls for suicide warrant being banned

Short answer, no
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 3:32:46 AM
At 6/27/2016 3:31:59 AM, TheChristian wrote:

Oh I've been called worse (harrytruman) insulted via religion and sexuality (peterssmith) and banned from saying things about one person. No ban.

Short answer, no

Oh I completely agree.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 3:36:41 AM
No, but that's encompassing of actual debate, not personal attacks.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 4:03:15 AM

The general statements don't warrent it, but if you do it enough that drives them to perform self harm, that's ban worthy.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 4:13:57 AM
https://www.facebook.com...
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 4:14:32 AM
At 6/27/2016 4:03:15 AM, lannan13 wrote:

The general statements don't warrent it, but if you do it enough that drives them to perform self harm, that's ban worthy.

That's honestly their fault if they want to mess up their life over a few rude statements.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 4:19:20 AM
At 6/27/2016 4:14:32 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

That's honestly their fault if they want to mess up their life over a few rude statements.

Cyberbullying someone to the point of suicide can result in a murder charge. You may feel that way, but it's still a Federal offense.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 4:22:09 AM
My complete opinion, DDO is a website is where people come and vent and relax. Some people vent here since they can't go and take it out on people in work or school. People also come here to get away from reality. They do this so they can be their true self here and take off the mask they wear in real life. Sometimes these things clash and that's just a fact of DDO.

triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 4:23:25 AM
At 6/27/2016 4:19:20 AM, lannan13 wrote:

Cyberbullying someone to the point of suicide can result in a murder charge. You may feel that way, but it's still a Federal offense.

That's just BS, anybody who kills themselves over words is too emotionally weak to live. This sort of law is just a violation of the first Consititutional amendment.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 4:32:21 AM
At 6/27/2016 4:23:25 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

That's just BS, anybody who kills themselves over words is too emotionally weak to live. This sort of law is just a violation of the first Consititutional amendment.

I have no idea why you are making this a political issue. There are many things I could say and then we'd go back and forth on the subject, but I'm not going to derail this thread on such a matter.

triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 4:38:54 AM
At 6/27/2016 4:32:21 AM, lannan13 wrote:
At 6/27/2016 4:23:25 AM, triangle.128k wrote:

I have no idea why you are making this a political issue. There are many things I could say and then we'd go back and forth on the subject, but I'm not going to derail this thread on such a matter.

I was only stating that people committing self harm over some words is an undesirable, and thus it makes no sense to ban people from telling another to kill themselves on the website. You have brought up the federal law on suiciding over online words, so I was obligated to reply.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 5:02:32 AM

I don't think people have a right to not be offended. However, I think that if you're going to ban somebody who called somebody else an idiot, the banning shouldn't be because it hurt the other person's feelings, but because it was rude to call them an idiot. Do you know what I mean? I mean whether you calling me an idiot makes me feel bad or not depends on how thick my skin is. The thickness of my skin shouldn't determine whether you get banned or not. But you calling me an idiot is something YOU do; and it's rude. It's the rudeness I would think would deserve a ban, not the hurt feelings of somebody else.

With that said, I don't know whether this particular crime merits being banned or not. I guess it depends on what the rules of the site are. If there are not rules, and if the question is open about whether there should be such a rule, I definitely think calling people idiots ought to be discouraged, but I'm not sure how that ought to be enforced.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
TheChristian
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2016 9:49:03 PM
At 6/27/2016 3:32:46 AM, YYW wrote:
At 6/27/2016 3:31:59 AM, TheChristian wrote:

Short answer, no

Oh I completely agree.

Okay
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 1:54:09 AM

NO and where ever they got the idea that they have such a right came from a politically correct liberal progressive. They think everything they can think of is a civil right.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
SeventhProfessor
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 2:36:33 AM
Show me where it says people don't have a right to not be offended in the Constitution.

Hint: you can't.
#UnbanTheMadman

#StandWithBossy

#BetOnThett

"bossy r u like 85 years old and have lost ur mind"
~mysteriouscrystals

"I've honestly never seen seventh post anything that wasn't completely idiotic in a trying-to-be-funny way."
~F-16

https://docs.google.com...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 12:54:54 PM
My opinion is that there is no such thing as a right not to be offended, but there is such a thing as a responsibility not to offend intentionally.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 12:55:48 PM
At 6/27/2016 5:02:32 AM, philochristos wrote:

I don't think people have a right to not be offended. However, I think that if you're going to ban somebody who called somebody else an idiot, the banning shouldn't be because it hurt the other person's feelings, but because it was rude to call them an idiot. Do you know what I mean? I mean whether you calling me an idiot makes me feel bad or not depends on how thick my skin is. The thickness of my skin shouldn't determine whether you get banned or not. But you calling me an idiot is something YOU do; and it's rude. It's the rudeness I would think would deserve a ban, not the hurt feelings of somebody else.
+1
With that said, I don't know whether this particular crime merits being banned or not. I guess it depends on what the rules of the site are. If there are not rules, and if the question is open about whether there should be such a rule, I definitely think calling people idiots ought to be discouraged, but I'm not sure how that ought to be enforced.
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2016 1:03:26 PM

I like the sentiment here, but it roughs afoul of two things.

1. Who decides what is rude. Rudeness itself is subjective. You present a world of thick and thin skinned people, but one also of objective rudeness, wherein the thick skinned people recognize rudeness but aren't offended by it. While that certainly happens, this ignores the very real cases of people disagreeing on what is or is not rude, which can depend on things like history and context and even things mods cannot judge, like the personal relationship between the participants.

2. "The thickness of my skin shouldn't determine whether you get banned or not." But that is exactly what determines who gets banned. The mods simply do not have the time or the man power to be proactive. They can only respond to complaints and the only ones who are going to complain are the thin skinned. By the time a situation comes to the attention of a mod, they're already getting a skewed version of events in favor of the offended.
philochristos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 6:17:50 PM
At 6/28/2016 1:03:26 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:

1. Who decides what is rude. Rudeness itself is subjective.

Strictly speaking, the taste of bacon is also subjective, but there is enough of a consensus that all reasonable people can agree that bacon is delicious. I think the same thing is true of rudeness. While there might be disputable cases here and there, most of us have an agreement of what common decency and good manners entails. As for me, I trust Airmax to use his own good sense and judgment to make these decisions. That's why I think he should be the sovereign ruler of DDO and not a mere elected official.
"Not to know of what things one should demand demonstration, and of what one should not, argues want of education." ~Aristotle

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~Aristotle
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2016 7:31:42 PM
At 6/29/2016 6:17:50 PM, philochristos wrote:
At 6/28/2016 1:03:26 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:

1. Who decides what is rude. Rudeness itself is subjective.

Strictly speaking, the taste of bacon is also subjective, but there is enough of a consensus that all reasonable people can agree that bacon is delicious. I think the same thing is true of rudeness. While there might be disputable cases here and there, most of us have an agreement of what common decency and good manners entails. As for me, I trust Airmax to use his own good sense and judgment to make these decisions. That's why I think he should be the sovereign ruler of DDO and not a mere elected official.

Oh. I thought you were being serious.