Jump to topic:

Continuous Update

eric.castelli
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2010 10:09:34 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Can you clarify what is happening - are you saying the site is working but the 'ads' aren't appearing.

Thanks,
Eric

At 12/18/2010 6:32:30 PM, Mirza wrote:
I think I will post errors/issues on the site in this thread whenever I see them appear.

Currently, I see no ads but this: http://img258.imageshack.us...
eric.castelli
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2010 1:50:59 PM
At 12/19/2010 10:58:52 AM, Mirza wrote:
They do work now, but yesterday, instead of ads appearing, that "error" sign appeared. Thank you regardless.

Cool. Thanks for confirming. Just wanted to make sure there were no site issues. Honestly, we will be dropping the ads soon. It detracts from the user experience. Until then, sorry for any issues.

Eric
Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2010 5:27:03 PM
Cool. Thanks for confirming. Just wanted to make sure there were no site issues. Honestly, we will be dropping the ads soon. It detracts from the user experience. Until then, sorry for any issues.

Eric

How will the site make money then?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2010 5:30:08 PM
At 12/19/2010 5:27:03 PM, Johnicle wrote:

Eric

Idk, but the ads were a recent addition. For the majority of my time on this site, there were no ads at all.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2010 5:52:56 PM
At 12/19/2010 5:30:08 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
For the majority of my time on this site, there were no ads at all.

Just 9 months ago, this site had some of the worst ads on the Internet.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2010 6:09:07 PM
At 12/19/2010 5:27:03 PM, Johnicle wrote:

Eric

yes, I'm curious about that as well.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2010 6:36:27 PM
Idk, but the ads were a recent addition. For the majority of my time on this site, there were no ads at all.

Really? I suppose the computer that I use to get on this site for most of the time has an adblock.
JuliaD
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2010 9:36:25 AM
Just a quick clarification - the goal of this site is to make it the premier website for online debates. As Eric pointed out in his post, the mostly irrelevant ads along the left navigation detract from the user experience and offer little value to an end user. While generating revenue through ads is an option for any website online today, at this point in time it is not an option we plan to explore. Our focus is on growing the community, the content and the debates platform.