Jump to topic:

4th July tip for photos.

TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 5:26:32 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
I am be no means an expert, but I know a couple of pro photographers, and dabble. Thought I might do this quick for everyone who messes-up their nights photos every damn time.

IF your phone/camera allows for some manual settings, its very easy, but black is white, up is down. Its all backwards from what you think it "normal"

1) Set your ISO like its bright daylight ~200
2) Set your shutter like you are shooting portrait photos in the 1800's > 20sec
3) f-stop (if you have any idea what this is, you should know) set like you are "opening" your eye just like you are seeing them. WIDE OPEN. Start with 1 - 1.4.

If you want that HUGE shot, DON'T use telephoto lenses. Use a zoom, and set yourself back from the action.

Basically, everything flip all intuition on its a$$

have fun.
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 9:26:09 AM
At 7/4/2016 5:26:32 AM, TBR wrote:
I am be no means an expert, but I know a couple of pro photographers, and dabble. Thought I might do this quick for everyone who messes-up their nights photos every damn time.

IF your phone/camera allows for some manual settings, its very easy, but black is white, up is down. Its all backwards from what you think it "normal"

3) f-stop (if you have any idea what this is, you should know) set like you are "opening" your eye just like you are seeing them. WIDE OPEN. Start with 1 - 1.4.

If you want that HUGE shot, DON'T use telephoto lenses. Use a zoom, and set yourself back from the action.

have fun.

Why use a low ISO if the scene is dark enough to warrant ultra low shutter speeds and wide f-stops? I don't understand.

Probably missing something obvious... I know little about photography.
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 3:56:43 PM
At 7/4/2016 9:26:09 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

have fun.

Why use a low ISO if the scene is dark enough to warrant ultra low shutter speeds and wide f-stops? I don't understand.

What you want to do is have the shutter OPEN for a long time. Some exposures might be 5sec. This way you will get the HUGE launch, explosion, and shape.

Like I said, up is down. Think of it this way. Watch a firework explode. How long did it take? Longer than you think?
ShabShoral
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2016 11:14:39 PM
At 7/4/2016 3:56:43 PM, TBR wrote:
At 7/4/2016 9:26:09 AM, ShabShoral wrote:

have fun.

What you want to do is have the shutter OPEN for a long time. Some exposures might be 5sec. This way you will get the HUGE launch, explosion, and shape.

Like I said, up is down. Think of it this way. Watch a firework explode. How long did it take? Longer than you think?

Ah, okay, I see what you mean. Cheers
"This site is trash as a debate site. It's club penguin for dysfunctional adults."

~ Skepsikyma <3

"Your idea of good writing is like Spinoza mixed with Heidegger."

~ Dylly Dylly Cat Cat

"You seem to aspire to be a cross between a Jewish hipster, an old school WASP aristocrat, and a political iconoclast"

~ Thett the Mighty

"fvck omg ur face"

~ Liz