Jump to topic:

Endorsing Imabench for President

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 9:46:05 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
I know this will come as an unpleasant surprise to all the candidates who bribed me to vote for them in the general election, but I must go with my gut and endorse Imabench for President based on the following reasons

1) Abolition

Im an abolitionist voter. The Presidency is near-useless if not completely-useless, and I think it should go forever. Imabench's Convention system is the first one ever proposed by a serious abolitionist candidate, and with Airmax agreeing to implement the system should Imabench win the election, this makes him the first candidate to legitimately be able to abolish the presidency....

What I dont like about it though is that Imabench has left open the option for people to vote to bring back the Presidency if they want to, meaning the Presidency wouldnt be abolished, just put on the bench (pun fully intended). As long as there are morons who are so devoted to the presidency that they cant imagine the very site itself functioning without it, there will always be morons who push for a vote to bring back the Presidency in every convention..... So while I like the fact that Imabench represents the best chance to get rid of the presidency, he cannot and in fact refuses to get rid of it permanently.... It is only because 1harder and DK want to keep the presidency that I endorse Imabench for the reason of obtaining the goal of abolishing the presidency

2) Most likely candidate to deliver what he campaigns on

Other candidates in the election have been campaigning on improving the site and fixing the presidency, but whether or not they would actually deliver such results if they are elected are questionable at best.... There's no guarantee that the presidency will be reformed or programs will become better run should the other candidates be elected, because all of their policies are vague and undetailed, or just the same recycled rhetoric that all pro-president candidates have run on in the past.... This is not the case for Imabench though..... If he wins the election, there is no doubt that he will deliver on his promise to get rid of the presidency, whereas if any of the other candidates win the election, there is uncertainty if their ideas will achieve the desired results....

Imabench is the only candidate whose platform, centered around abolishing the presidency, will deliver exactly what is promised. This is a very rare feat for a candidate to accomplish, especially for an abolitionist candidate as well.

3) Preserves programs run by members

The Convention system Imabench is campaigning on promises to let programs continue to be run, and even allow for those who run those programs to receive official status by using conventions themselves. This effectively amounts to his platform being one to get rid of the presidency, but preserve the only admirable aspect of it, community programs. I for one think that such programs are very ineffective and overall are expendable, but by allowing these programs to continue under the Convention system while getting rid of the Presidency, Imabench's problem does away with the bad while preserving the good as well, if you believe programs are valuable to the site.

4) Mild curiosity

I previously criticized Imabench for allowing voters to bring back the presidency should he be elected, but at the same time such a move brings up an interesting aspect of his candidacy. If he wins, but the Convention system turns out to be not that great, then we can go back to having a presidency in no time at all..... If the Convention system doesnt work, we can ditch it and go back to the way things are now, no harm done.

So whats the harm in just giving the Convention system a try?

If Imabench's platform banned votes on bringing back the Presidency in a convention system, then this election would boil down to choosing between the Presidency and Conventions once and for all. But because he is leaving the door open to bring back the Presidency should Conventions fail, then this election isnt really Presidency forever vs Conventions forever, its Presidency vs temporary Conventions that if they dont work out lets us back to having a presidency..... There's really no harm in voting for the convention system this time around just because we can always go back if it isnt that great, so there's no reason not to try it just this once. If it works out, great, keep it! If it doesnt, we go back to the way things are now, no problem. There's no reason to not give Conventions a shot this one time for the sake of science/study/etc., and I am curious about how things would really be under a Convention system.

5) Doors that can be opened due to Conventions

Imabench recently posted a thread about how a vote to create a DDO Purge is possible under a DDO Convention, which blew away a lot of people. If a DDO Purge can be put up for a vote, what else is possible? How many opportunities will there be to really transform the site in ways that the presidency simply cannot deliver? Conventions open up reformation proposals to the entire site, so there's no telling what ideas people could come up with that gain a lot of momentum and attention, whereas with the Presidency, the same cannot be said.... Presidential elections really only feature candidates who run for office that have very few differences with each other, with presidential candidates who campaign on more eccentric or unconventional platforms being pushed out of the popularity-contest of a race..... With DDO Conventions though, the door opens to any idea a member comes up with to reform the site, unleashing the site's own creativity and giving everyone a voice to pitch an idea. There's no telling what people could propose at a convention and what ends up being put up for a vote, whereas presidential elections are rather routine and stay much closer to the norm we are all only moderately content with.

For these reasons, I am endorsing Imabench for President.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 9:47:58 PM
I think Imabench should disassociate himself from you given your controversial nature.

My question for Bench is... Do you disavow this idiot's endorsement?
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 9:54:13 PM
At 7/5/2016 9:47:58 PM, Wylted wrote:
I think Imabench should disassociate himself from you given your controversial nature.

My question for Bench is... Do you disavow this idiot's endorsement?

I dont know anything about this guy, I dont know anything about his history or his beliefs. I had a bad earpiece. Horrible earpiece. The worst earpiece I ever dealt with. Not the kind you find in one of MY establishments, which offer only the finest, high quality earpieces you can find. Other chains get theirs from Edeb8, who are killing us. If Im elected, Ill get tough on edeb8. Believe it. Half of the LOSERS on that site were people I sent over there after running them off of this site, so you know I can get it done. Did someone tell you I couldnt do it? Who was it? I bet they were mexican
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 9:57:45 PM
Funny thing is the racists on storm front were talking so much shitt about Trump for not being smart enough to disavow them
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 10:06:54 PM
At 7/5/2016 9:46:05 PM, imabench wrote:

This seems like a pretty blatant conflict of interests.

How do you answer charges of collusion with the Bench campaign?
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/5/2016 10:25:00 PM
At 7/5/2016 10:06:54 PM, Skepsikyma wrote:
At 7/5/2016 9:46:05 PM, imabench wrote:

This seems like a pretty blatant conflict of interests.

How do you answer charges of collusion with the Bench campaign?

60% of what I did was 80% legal