Total Posts:8|Showing Posts:1-8
Jump to topic:

The Upcoming Election

Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2016 5:46:31 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
I'm quite excited to see the end result in this and the way it will play out. Very soon the site will get a choice between a form of abolitionism and keeping the presidency. The three people running offer 3 very unique and very diverse platforms, ranging from almost pure abolitionism, to maintaining the status quo, to redefining the status quo. I think the fundamental question that revolves around these type of elections when in comes in contact with abolitionism, is what does the office offer now that juggle has completely pulled out?

I honestly think the debate still does and always has come down to one fundamental point. Does the office still have value other than acting as a figure head for the community. I mean you can take that point and break it into sub points, and argue that it's easier to run tournaments, it's easier to work with the mods, etc and so forth because of the position and the perception of the community about the position. It carries a unofficial aura of authority that may make certain things easier to accomplish in contrast to a normal member trying to achieve the same goals.

I'm sure one could construct an argument for the status quo, saying that because it causes no harm there is no reason to remove it and in order to remove it there would have to be a *need* to remove it. This to me is a concession of how useless the position is, and the foundation of the argument is used to cater to those who wish to maintain the sites normative levels of complacency.

As I said I'm very excited to see how this plays out. Needless to say I'm throwing my lot in with bench and the abolitionism camp, but in the event he loses I hope harder wins. As I think he has a more realistic approach for how the position should operate, and I sincerely believe he is running strictly out of love for the community. He may be abrasive, have rough edges, and come off as an azz at certain points but I do believe he has the communities best interest in mind. I think DK would make a fine president as well, so whoever wins I think the site will improve an adapt as it always has. I think the best thing for this election would have been TUF to run as president and DK as vp, that would have been a game changer but it is what it is.

Best of luck to all the contenders
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2016 6:06:48 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/6/2016 5:46:31 PM, Mikal wrote:

Needless to say I'm throwing my lot in with bench and the abolitionism camp

<3
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
UtherPenguin
Posts: 3,684
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2016 7:47:59 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/6/2016 5:46:31 PM, Mikal wrote:
I'm quite excited to see the end result in this and the way it will play out. Very soon the site will get a choice between a form of abolitionism and keeping the presidency. The three people running offer 3 very unique and very diverse platforms, ranging from almost pure abolitionism, to maintaining the status quo, to redefining the status quo. I think the fundamental question that revolves around these type of elections when in comes in contact with abolitionism, is what does the office offer now that juggle has completely pulled out?

I honestly think the debate still does and always has come down to one fundamental point. Does the office still have value other than acting as a figure head for the community. I mean you can take that point and break it into sub points, and argue that it's easier to run tournaments, it's easier to work with the mods, etc and so forth because of the position and the perception of the community about the position. It carries a unofficial aura of authority that may make certain things easier to accomplish in contrast to a normal member trying to achieve the same goals.

I'm sure one could construct an argument for the status quo, saying that because it causes no harm there is no reason to remove it and in order to remove it there would have to be a *need* to remove it. This to me is a concession of how useless the position is, and the foundation of the argument is used to cater to those who wish to maintain the sites normative levels of complacency.

As I said I'm very excited to see how this plays out. Needless to say I'm throwing my lot in with bench and the abolitionism camp, but in the event he loses I hope harder wins. As I think he has a more realistic approach for how the position should operate, and I sincerely believe he is running strictly out of love for the community. He may be abrasive, have rough edges, and come off as an azz at certain points but I do believe he has the communities best interest in mind. I think DK would make a fine president as well, so whoever wins I think the site will improve an adapt as it always has. I think the best thing for this election would have been TUF to run as president and DK as vp, that would have been a game changer but it is what it is.


Best of luck to all the contenders

You mentioned the E word.

You are now banned.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2016 8:15:39 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Abolish The Presidency

Correct me if I'm wrong, but assuming imabench wins, there would still be another election (for the next term), correct?
President of DDO
Mikal
Posts: 11,270
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2016 8:29:40 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/6/2016 8:15:39 PM, Danielle wrote:
Abolish The Presidency

Correct me if I'm wrong, but assuming imabench wins, there would still be another election (for the next term), correct?

I have not talked to max about this personally, but assuming Ima wins and the implications he stated were correct then it would effectively end the presidency due to a majority consensus. He stated that in a prior thread if i'm not mistaken along with saying the presidency would be changed to a convention system.

Ima can clarify this better
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2016 8:56:01 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
If I win, Elections get replaced with Conventions, the first convention taking place in 6 months when the next election would have taken place, all under Airmax's authority
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Blade-of-Truth
Posts: 5,036
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2016 9:47:07 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/6/2016 8:15:39 PM, Danielle wrote:
Abolish The Presidency

Correct me if I'm wrong, but assuming imabench wins, there would still be another election (for the next term), correct?

The bi-annual "elections" would be termed as "Conventions" under Bench's proposed system, nor would they actually be for the sole sake of electing officials. Under Conventions, things are put to a vote by the user-base, including re-establishing the Presidency. So, while there wouldn't be another "election" for a President again if Bench wins, there is the possibility for a Convention to be held for re-establishing the Presidency if the majority seeks it.

I think that's how it would work, but I'd have imabench verify just to make sure.
Debate.org Deputy Vote Moderator
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DDO Voting Guide: http://www.debate.org...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge on your debate? Nominate me! http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Posts: 21,229
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/6/2016 9:52:16 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
At 7/6/2016 9:47:07 PM, Blade-of-Truth wrote:
At 7/6/2016 8:15:39 PM, Danielle wrote:
Abolish The Presidency

Correct me if I'm wrong, but assuming imabench wins, there would still be another election (for the next term), correct?

The bi-annual "elections" would be termed as "Conventions" under Bench's proposed system, nor would they actually be for the sole sake of electing officials. Under Conventions, things are put to a vote by the user-base, including re-establishing the Presidency. So, while there wouldn't be another "election" for a President again if Bench wins, there is the possibility for a Convention to be held for re-establishing the Presidency if the majority seeks it.

nailed it

I think that's how it would work, but I'd have imabench verify just to make sure.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015