Jump to topic:

Facing Reality

Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2016 3:55:16 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
I am not very well known on the site, but those who frequent the Hangouts know me as Adam. It is fitting that we all take a brief reprieve from the drama of the elections to recognize a more pressing issue... DDO has become more than just a debate website. DDO has become a place for a lot of us to escape the harsh realities of life, for some it is even their sole or primary social outlet. What this means is that what happens here can have a serious impact on people's lives, in the case of two recent members, it could even have had a life or death impact. Words matter, especially to the more vulnerable among us, and that is why, at least for me, I am doing buying "It's the internet, deal with it" or "This isn't a safe space" as an excuse for saying mean, nasty things to people on this site. I am the first to admit that I have been a culprit of this to some extent, but it stops today.

Airmax has been accused of ramping up his moderation efforts and more strictly enforcing the rules, some of us think the site is no longer the lax environment it used to be in terms of moderation. I think there is only one way that we can return to this lax state of affairs, and that is if we get together as a community and point out bad behavior where we see it, and try to correct it. I think we can all recognize that DDO is never going to be a "safe space" but it can be a respectful place.. and maybe we can even change some people's lives for the better.
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 1:16:26 AM
At 7/8/2016 3:55:16 PM, Objectivity wrote:

I agree with this. But there are numerous members, some closer to home than we'd like to think, that think nothing is wrong with calling people worthless and putting them down continuously to run them off the site.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 1:17:58 AM
I am not very well known on the site, but those who frequent the Hangouts know me as Adam. It is fitting that we all take a brief reprieve from the drama of the elections to recognize a more pressing issue... DDO has become more than just a debate website. DDO has become a place for a lot of us to escape the harsh realities of life, for some it is even their sole or primary social outlet. What this means is that what happens here can have a serious impact on people's lives, in the case of two recent members, it could even have had a life or death impact. Words matter, especially to the more vulnerable among us, and that is why, at least for me, I am doing buying "It's the internet, deal with it" or "This isn't a safe space" as an excuse for saying mean, nasty things to people on this site. I am the first to admit that I have been a culprit of this to some extent, but it stops today.

Airmax has been accused of ramping up his moderation efforts and more strictly enforcing the rules, some of us think the site is no longer the lax environment it used to be in terms of moderation. I think there is only one way that we can return to this lax state of affairs, and that is if we get together as a community and point out bad behavior where we see it, and try to correct it. I think we can all recognize that DDO is never going to be a "safe space" but it can be a respectful place.. and maybe we can even change some people's lives for the better.

Wow - amazing post - best one I've seen on DDO!
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 4:42:20 AM
At 7/9/2016 1:16:26 AM, ESocialBookworm wrote:

I agree with this. But there are numerous members, some closer to home than we'd like to think, that think nothing is wrong with calling people worthless and putting them down continuously to run them off the site.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 5:10:40 AM

I agree, but saying idiotic things/acting in a moronic manner will be called out. Above all, this is a debate site, not a site for coddling.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 5:11:33 AM
At 7/9/2016 5:10:40 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

I agree, but saying idiotic things/acting in a moronic manner will be called out. Above all, this is a debate site, not a site for coddling.

Sure, but that can be done within the bounds of respect.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 5:12:39 AM
At 7/9/2016 5:11:33 AM, Objectivity wrote:

Respect flies out the window when people do not acknowledge that the term "racist/bigot/xenophobe/etc" have more meaning than being simple place holders for the inadequacy of multiculturalist arguments.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 5:14:03 AM
At 7/9/2016 5:12:39 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

Respect flies out the window when people do not acknowledge that the term "racist/bigot/xenophobe/etc" have more meaning than being simple place holders for the inadequacy of multiculturalist arguments.

I think that someone who calls another racist or bigoted flippantly is being disrespectful anyways.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 5:15:29 AM
At 7/9/2016 5:14:03 AM, Objectivity wrote:
At 7/9/2016 5:12:39 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:

I think that someone who calls another racist or bigoted flippantly is being disrespectful anyways.

That's what I'm saying, in which case respect no longer needs to be reciprocated.

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 7:56:35 AM

I guess we actually agree on something.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
I_Wanna_Rawk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 2:28:33 PM
This makes sense. I wish a few specific members would realize this. I'm newish, but I read the forums a lot and see the kind of stuff you want to get rid f way too often.