Presidential Farewell

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:11:14 PM
Posted: 5 months ago
Dear DDO and Future President,

In, I believe, 7 minutes or so I will no longer be site President. I wanted to official extend my well-wishes to the person who succeeds me, and to say a few words about the site in general.

I think most people are aware that neither of the leading candidates were my first choices. That being said, when I say that I wish whoever replaces me well, I mean it. We may all vehemently disagree on the direction the site should go and on how best to get there, but when all is said and done, we are united in our dedication to bettering this community. Whoever replaces me will face various challenges--whether they be implementing an entirely new system of DDO governance, or steering the site through a referendum that is bound to be contentious. I wish them success in meeting these challenges, so that the site we call care about can flourish as a result of their achievements. That is how public service is meant to work.

I also would like to add that I respect the verdict of the voters. While I doubt that this election was solely a repudiation of my more centralized approach to the office, I accept that I could have been less rigid, more flexible, and less rule-oriented in my administrative style. Perhaps that could have headed off some of the drama we see today. Regardless, as someone who has experienced the job firsthand, I continue to stand behind the idea that the Presidency has value, and I will be contributing my opinions on that as the referendum draws closer. However, I do not think now is the time or place for that discussion. Now is the time to focus on a transition to a new Presidency approaches, and to unite behind whoever wins to ensure a calm, civil, and stable environment moving forward.

I would like to thank, deeply and sincerely, all those who have participated in my administration over the last year, esp. Zaradi, Sapphique, ColeTrain, and Hayd, whose new user outreach efforts deserve special commendation. While not the only ones involved, their assistance was of enormous help, and I could not have reasonably asked more of them. Thank you.

We have accomplished a lot in our time in office, I think: election eligibility updates, the opt-in voting guide, tournament reform, the New Users Mentorship Program (shout-out to Zaradi), the How-To Debate Guide, etc. I hope some of these achievements have benefited this community. While my enthusiasm for the office may have lagged in the last few weeks, my feelings for this site's community have not. Improving the site, more so than any specific policy or personal agenda, should be a President's highest aim.

Finally, I would like to extend a hand to the next administration. If you ever require my assistance or advice, as long as I am available and on the site, I will lend what help I can. I understand that some would be skeptical of the next president consulting me on matters of the site; but whether or not you choose to seek my help on any matter is up to you. I would help in any way I could because I care about the site, and for no other reason, and if helping is non-involvement in your administration, I can do that as well.

So, again, good luck to the next President. I hope that your term, for however long it ends up being, is smooth and fruitful, and that the site is better for it. Thanks to anyone who read this for entertaining a lame duck's last thoughts, to those people who supported me in elections past, and to all those who participated in the democratic process over these last view days. Farewell; it has been an interesting ride, and I can only hope I did some good during my yearlong stint in office.

Sincerely,
Bsh1
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:13:53 PM
You did a great job as being president Bsh, and you'll always be a well respected, member, that people look up to. :)
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:15:54 PM
At 7/9/2016 11:13:53 PM, Rosalie wrote:
You did a great job as being president Bsh, and you'll always be a well respected, member, that people look up to. :)

Thanks.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:16:08 PM
At 7/9/2016 11:14:27 PM, Wylted wrote:
Thanks for serving.

Sure thing.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:16:46 PM
Grrr...Noticing spelling errors. Change "call" to "all" and "view" to "few" and delete the random "approaches." Sorry.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:17:31 PM
At 7/9/2016 11:15:55 PM, YYW wrote:
Now begins the opportunity to move this site in the right direction.

Dude, shut up. That was unnecessary. With the way things look with the currenr status of the presidency, the site may just go down the drain.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:18:12 PM
No longer President. Congratulations, Wylted, on succeeding to the office. Best of luck.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:19:25 PM
At 7/9/2016 11:18:12 PM, bsh1 wrote:
No longer President. Congratulations, Wylted, on succeeding to the office. Best of luck.

Thank you.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:21:17 PM
At 7/9/2016 11:11:14 PM, bsh1 wrote:

In, I believe, 7 minutes or so I will no longer be site President. I wanted to official extend my well-wishes to the person who succeeds me, and to say a few words about the site in general.

I think most people are aware that neither of the leading candidates were my first choices. That being said, when I say that I wish whoever replaces me well, I mean it. We may all vehemently disagree on the direction the site should go and on how best to get there, but when all is said and done, we are united in our dedication to bettering this community. Whoever replaces me will face various challenges--whether they be implementing an entirely new system of DDO governance, or steering the site through a referendum that is bound to be contentious. I wish them success in meeting these challenges, so that the site we call care about can flourish as a result of their achievements. That is how public service is meant to work.

I also would like to add that I respect the verdict of the voters. While I doubt that this election was solely a repudiation of my more centralized approach to the office, I accept that I could have been less rigid, more flexible, and less rule-oriented in my administrative style. Perhaps that could have headed off some of the drama we see today. Regardless, as someone who has experienced the job firsthand, I continue to stand behind the idea that the Presidency has value, and I will be contributing my opinions on that as the referendum draws closer. However, I do not think now is the time or place for that discussion. Now is the time to focus on a transition to a new Presidency approaches, and to unite behind whoever wins to ensure a calm, civil, and stable environment moving forward.

I would like to thank, deeply and sincerely, all those who have participated in my administration over the last year, esp. Zaradi, Sapphique, ColeTrain, and Hayd, whose new user outreach efforts deserve special commendation. While not the only ones involved, their assistance was of enormous help, and I could not have reasonably asked more of them. Thank you.

We have accomplished a lot in our time in office, I think: election eligibility updates, the opt-in voting guide, tournament reform, the New Users Mentorship Program (shout-out to Zaradi), the How-To Debate Guide, etc. I hope some of these achievements have benefited this community. While my enthusiasm for the office may have lagged in the last few weeks, my feelings for this site's community have not. Improving the site, more so than any specific policy or personal agenda, should be a President's highest aim.

Finally, I would like to extend a hand to the next administration. If you ever require my assistance or advice, as long as I am available and on the site, I will lend what help I can. I understand that some would be skeptical of the next president consulting me on matters of the site; but whether or not you choose to seek my help on any matter is up to you. I would help in any way I could because I care about the site, and for no other reason, and if helping is non-involvement in your administration, I can do that as well.

So, again, good luck to the next President. I hope that your term, for however long it ends up being, is smooth and fruitful, and that the site is better for it. Thanks to anyone who read this for entertaining a lame duck's last thoughts, to those people who supported me in elections past, and to all those who participated in the democratic process over these last view days. Farewell; it has been an interesting ride, and I can only hope I did some good during my yearlong stint in office.

Sincerely,
Bsh1

You deserve a pat of the back, and I will give it.

Now. Now, the problem is the presidency has run its coarse. This thing is... Well over. Wylted has made sure that there is no honer in any of it,
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:22:30 PM
You were a great president
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:24:20 PM
At 7/9/2016 11:17:31 PM, Rosalie wrote:
At 7/9/2016 11:15:55 PM, YYW wrote:
Now begins the opportunity to move this site in the right direction.

Dude, shut up. That was unnecessary. With the way things look with the currenr status of the presidency, the site may just go down the drain.

It was entirely necessary. Bsh1's presidency is why abolitionism carries the day, and the way he has "led" the site has contributed considerably to the state of affairs we find ourselves in now.

Now, I'm not here to play the blame game, but I do think that his no longer being in this position really advances the chance we have to move forward.

There is little doubt that bsh1 intended to do a good job, but the reality is that his good intentions have translated into bad outcomes, both because of the things he does directly and what he does behind the scenes.

But we don't have to turn this into an opportunity for me to elaborate in each and every reason why bsh1 has been detrimental to the site; I don't want to have that discussion, and I doubt you do either.
Tsar of DDO
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:34:31 PM
OMG, lol. I posted this a day early. Oh well...it changes my sentiments none.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:35:04 PM
At 7/9/2016 11:21:17 PM, TBR wrote:
You deserve a pat of the back, and I will give it.

Thanks
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:35:16 PM
At 7/9/2016 11:22:30 PM, fire_wings wrote:

Thanks.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:36:23 PM
At 7/9/2016 11:35:16 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Thanks.

You're farewell of presidency is losing a debate.

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:42:24 PM
At 7/9/2016 11:36:23 PM, fire_wings wrote:

Thanks.

We'll see I suppose. At this point, probably.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:42:56 PM
At 7/9/2016 11:42:24 PM, bsh1 wrote:

Thanks.

I didn't read it yet.

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:44:10 PM
At 7/9/2016 11:42:56 PM, fire_wings wrote:

Thanks.

I didn't read it yet.

Okay.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:44:35 PM

Sincerely,
Bsh1

You were a great president...even though you were sponge.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:45:03 PM
At 7/9/2016 11:44:10 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 7/9/2016 11:42:56 PM, fire_wings wrote:

Thanks.

I didn't read it yet.

Okay.

I'm now currently writing a fanfic, after that I'll possibly read it.

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:47:36 PM
At 7/9/2016 11:44:35 PM, PetersSmith wrote:
You were a great president...even though you were sponge.

Thanks.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/9/2016 11:47:58 PM
At 7/9/2016 11:45:03 PM, fire_wings wrote:
I'm now currently writing a fanfic, after that I'll possibly read it.

Okay. Good luck on your fan fic.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 12:20:40 AM
Though your Presidency was contraversial in the minds of many and were an unpopular President in the minds of some, you will be missed. It is not without doubt that the Presidency will be greatly changed after your departure and I fret, for the worse. You created many programs and got a lot done for the site and I would wish you well in all your future endevors. I do not think that I would be remiss to say that you may feel a burden being lifted off your shoulders as you no longer have such a cumbersome job to maintain.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 12:27:20 AM

Sincerely,
Bsh1

You've been a great president. I thought there was one more day left.
ThinkBig
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notable Notes and Quotable Quotes
"I GOT SIG'D"
"WELL FVCK ME IN THE A$SHOLE AND CALL ME A CUCK I GOT SIG'D AGAIN"
-Kiri
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig.
-7th
Need a judge or vote? Nominate me!!
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 12:32:19 AM
Not so fast. You're President for another 27 hours.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 12:34:10 AM
At 7/10/2016 12:32:19 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

"Voting will cease at exactly 7/10/2016 11:18:32 PM DDO time" Op of the voting thread

Right now it is 7/10 at 12 AM.
ThinkBig
"I GOT SIG'D"
-Kiri
-7th
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 12:35:21 AM
At 7/10/2016 12:34:10 AM, ThinkBig wrote:

"Voting will cease at exactly 7/10/2016 11:18:32 PM DDO time" Op of the voting thread

Ah I thought he did US Central time - which was the original DDO time, by the way.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 12:36:15 AM
At 7/10/2016 12:35:21 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 7/10/2016 12:34:10 AM, ThinkBig wrote:

Ah I thought he did US Central time - which was the original DDO time, by the way.

Did not know that.
ThinkBig
"I GOT SIG'D"
-Kiri
-7th