Jump to topic:

Pro vs. Con: Who is more likely to win?

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 2:54:25 AM
Posted: 5 months ago
From the same data that I calculated the 7-point vs. select winner stats, I also calculated this (from 2546 debates, not the 4000 some because the rest had ended in ties).

Pro wins: 47% of the time
Con wins: 53% of the time

Pretty damn close, but perhaps voters see Pro as carrying more of a burden of proof than Con. It certainly is easier to pick holes in someone else's arguments than to make your own water-tight case.

Anyhow, considering the values are just "Pro" or "Con" I can't really calculate standard deviation or do any other statistical analysis, since it's not numbers...
"Delete your fvcking sig" -1hard

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 2:56:31 AM
At 7/10/2016 2:54:25 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
From the same data that I calculated the 7-point vs. select winner stats, I also calculated this (from 2546 debates, not the 4000 some because the rest had ended in ties).

Pretty damn close, but perhaps voters see Pro as carrying more of a burden of proof than Con. It certainly is easier to pick holes in someone else's arguments than to make your own water-tight case.

Anyhow, considering the values are just "Pro" or "Con" I can't really calculate standard deviation or do any other statistical analysis, since it's not numbers...

Did you actually take the time to go through 2546 debates to see who won?
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 2:57:44 AM

Thanks for the info!

zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 2:59:15 AM
At 7/10/2016 2:56:31 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Did you actually take the time to go through 2546 debates to see who won?

I used a web-scraper to gather data... Let it run for about 20 hours, and it got all that. I've done this like five times, and I have amassed alot of data so far on how the website has functioned on the past.

I plan to eventually post a more thorough analysis so that we can come up with a plan for DDO if Juggle ever returns to fix the website...

Although Airmax already is familiar with alot of this, I really wanted to analyze the numbers myself and eventually come to find the root causes of why voting is at an all-time low, and to see what we can do to bring it back up.

"primal man had the habit, when he came into contact with fire, of satisfying the infantile desire connected with it, by putting it out with a stream of his urine... Putting out the fire by micturating was therefore a kind of sexual act with a male, an enjoyment of sexual potency in a homosexual competition."
Wylted
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:03:58 AM

If you discount noob snipes, I bet pro is easier to win
zmikecuber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:06:31 AM
At 7/10/2016 3:03:58 AM, Wylted wrote:

I was also thinking this, but this assumes that when noobs make debates, they automatically take the Pro position. Is that the case?

Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 6:33:36 AM
At 7/10/2016 3:06:31 AM, zmikecuber wrote:
At 7/10/2016 3:03:58 AM, Wylted wrote:

I was also thinking this, but this assumes that when noobs make debates, they automatically take the Pro position. Is that the case?

That takes data scraping to find out ;)
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 9:58:25 AM

this is because of vi_spex
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 3:43:05 PM
Please have it done for instigator vs contender as well, those two things could lead to an interesting comparison.

Also if there's a way to have it exclude forfeited debates, and/or any debates from certain members (vi-spex, lord-Megatron, that one religious mockery guy).
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...