Total Posts:20|Showing Posts:1-20
Jump to topic:

Forfeited Rounds

Danielle
Posts: 24,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 9:08:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Since I haven't been paying much attention to this forum (where I'm sure it was explained), can someone please inform me on what it means when the debate gets suspended after a forfeited round? This must be a new thing.

I'm currently doing 2 debates where my opponent forfeited a round, and the debate just paused.

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

I'm pretty sure the first one has been paused for a few days. Is this a new thing? Is there any concern that pausing the debate gives the next debater more time to construct their argument? What is the purpose of this? Just curious.
Danielle
Posts: 24,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 9:13:12 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
Another question: about a week or 2 ago, I made a post asking if we could reopen debates that ended in a Tie (with no votes) and I believe I made another suggestion on debates that are forfeited or whatever. As far as I know, a few people agreed with my suggestions, yet nothing was ever done about it. Where do we go from here? Is this something that Airmax has to do? Or something to take up with Juggle? Maybe instead of spending so much time and energy on completely meaningless titles for this website, we can think of ways to improve site content/quality and then try to implement it effectively. Just a thought :)
Danielle
Posts: 24,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 9:13:41 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2016 9:10:53 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 7/10/2016 9:08:44 PM, Danielle wrote:
It's a glitch. It happened a while ago as well.

Interesting. TY.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,681
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 9:14:28 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2016 9:08:44 PM, Danielle wrote:
Since I haven't been paying much attention to this forum (where I'm sure it was explained), can someone please inform me on what it means when the debate gets suspended after a forfeited round? This must be a new thing.

I'm currently doing 2 debates where my opponent forfeited a round, and the debate just paused.

http://www.debate.org...

http://www.debate.org...

I'm pretty sure the first one has been paused for a few days. Is this a new thing? Is there any concern that pausing the debate gives the next debater more time to construct their argument? What is the purpose of this? Just curious.

It's a recurring bug that pops up now and then after a forfeit... it causes the debate to completely pause... I'll get it fixed as soon as I can
Debate.org Moderator

[This Space for rent. Debates/Quotes/Whatever. Restrictions apply. RRs only. PM for details.]
Danielle
Posts: 24,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 9:15:15 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2016 9:14:28 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
It's a recurring bug that pops up now and then after a forfeit... it causes the debate to completely pause... I'll get it fixed as soon as I can

No worries at all. I just wasn't sure if it was a new policy. TY.
airmax1227
Posts: 13,681
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 9:16:42 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2016 9:13:57 PM, Danielle wrote:
Does this happen often? How long does it take to get resolved?

Every few months or so it seems to reappear.... it doesn't take long really, I'll get the ol' rusty debate forfeit glitch lever pushed on Monday
Debate.org Moderator

[This Space for rent. Debates/Quotes/Whatever. Restrictions apply. RRs only. PM for details.]
airmax1227
Posts: 13,681
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 9:18:18 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2016 9:15:15 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/10/2016 9:14:28 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
It's a recurring bug that pops up now and then after a forfeit... it causes the debate to completely pause... I'll get it fixed as soon as I can

No worries at all. I just wasn't sure if it was a new policy. TY.

haha well it certainly prevents mass noob sniping... but no, it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes
Debate.org Moderator

[This Space for rent. Debates/Quotes/Whatever. Restrictions apply. RRs only. PM for details.]
YYW
Posts: 41,742
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/10/2016 9:43:44 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2016 9:13:12 PM, Danielle wrote:
Another question: about a week or 2 ago, I made a post asking if we could reopen debates that ended in a Tie (with no votes) and I believe I made another suggestion on debates that are forfeited or whatever. As far as I know, a few people agreed with my suggestions, yet nothing was ever done about it. Where do we go from here? Is this something that Airmax has to do? Or something to take up with Juggle? Maybe instead of spending so much time and energy on completely meaningless titles for this website, we can think of ways to improve site content/quality and then try to implement it effectively. Just a thought :)

Lol your sig
Trump's Criminal Campaign and Presidency:

http://www.debate.org...

Where we were, on Trump:

http://www.debate.org...

Russia: The Update

http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Posts: 6,744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 4:08:19 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2016 9:18:18 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/10/2016 9:15:15 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/10/2016 9:14:28 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
It's a recurring bug that pops up now and then after a forfeit... it causes the debate to completely pause... I'll get it fixed as soon as I can

No worries at all. I just wasn't sure if it was a new policy. TY.

haha well it certainly prevents mass noob sniping... but no, it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes

The forfeit glitch is one of the better things that happen to DDO... lol.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass

http://gotejas.com...
fire_wings
Posts: 5,907
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 5:01:26 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2016 9:16:42 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/10/2016 9:13:57 PM, Danielle wrote:
Does this happen often? How long does it take to get resolved?

Every few months or so it seems to reappear.... it doesn't take long really, I'll get the ol' rusty debate forfeit glitch lever pushed on Monday

um...
Danielle
Posts: 24,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 4:17:33 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/13/2016 4:08:19 PM, tejretics wrote:
The forfeit glitch is one of the better things that happen to DDO... lol.

Lol, no :(
Danielle
Posts: 24,713
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 3:28:53 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2016 9:14:28 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
It's a recurring bug that pops up now and then after a forfeit... it causes the debate to completely pause... I'll get it fixed as soon as I can

Bump (no rush, just a reminder)
Kauldwin
Posts: 13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 6:46:03 PM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/15/2016 3:28:53 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/10/2016 9:14:28 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
It's a recurring bug that pops up now and then after a forfeit... it causes the debate to completely pause... I'll get it fixed as soon as I can

Bump (no rush, just a reminder)

I also came in to check on how soon this might be fixed. I know somebody mentioned working on it this past Monday - do we have any update on when it might be resolved?
ThinkBig
Posts: 2,164
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 3:13:28 AM
Posted: 1 year ago
At 7/10/2016 9:18:18 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/10/2016 9:15:15 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/10/2016 9:14:28 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
It's a recurring bug that pops up now and then after a forfeit... it causes the debate to completely pause... I'll get it fixed as soon as I can

No worries at all. I just wasn't sure if it was a new policy. TY.

haha well it certainly prevents mass noob sniping... but no, it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes

Totally putting this in my sig.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a judge or vote? Nominate me!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~