Jump to topic:

Quick PSA

larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 1:55:43 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Edeb8 is temporarily down due to people violating my host's strict no-spam policy. I figure since many edeb8ers also stop by here once in a while this should help get the word about about what's going on.

Edeb8 will be back soon although I might have to implement tighter anti-spam controls. Terrible timing for me too! I will have a solution for you all by tomorrow at the latest, though hopefully within a few hours.

BTW, congrats to whoever your new prez is. Assuming the election's over.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 2:01:24 AM
At 7/13/2016 1:55:43 AM, larztheloser wrote:
Edeb8 is temporarily down due to people violating my host's strict no-spam policy. I figure since many edeb8ers also stop by here once in a while this should help get the word about about what's going on.

Edeb8 will be back soon although I might have to implement tighter anti-spam controls. Terrible timing for me too! I will have a solution for you all by tomorrow at the latest, though hopefully within a few hours.

Sorry to hear that Larz, good luck getting it taken care of so that Edeb8 can be up and running again as soon as possible.
Debate.org Moderator
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 2:13:45 AM

I'm not sure I understand. How were your users spamming in a way that the hosting company was concerned?
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 2:14:30 AM

Like, robo posting? Somehow exceeding bandwidth?
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 2:48:49 AM
At 7/13/2016 2:13:45 AM, TBR wrote:

I'm not sure I understand. How were your users spamming in a way that the hosting company was concerned?

Hi :)

In New Zealand it is a crime to send any unsolicited mail. Hosts here need to be very proactive in stopping it or else they can be themselves criminally liable.

I'm going through a bunch of logs atm ... unfortunately they deleted all the spams in the mail queue before they could be sent, which of course makes it hard to track down exactly how the site was being used to send them.

My usual approach for dealing with spam to this point has been simply to ban any user who sends me a spam message, which typically works out fine for a site of that size. However somebody tried to use edeb8 to send 2000 messages in a short space of time, and so the host figured if that's possible, then my approach is not adequate. But yeah, I'll work something out.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 3:01:11 AM
At 7/13/2016 2:48:49 AM, larztheloser wrote:
At 7/13/2016 2:13:45 AM, TBR wrote:

Hi :)

In New Zealand it is a crime to send any unsolicited mail. Hosts here need to be very proactive in stopping it or else they can be themselves criminally liable.

I'm going through a bunch of logs atm ... unfortunately they deleted all the spams in the mail queue before they could be sent, which of course makes it hard to track down exactly how the site was being used to send them.

My usual approach for dealing with spam to this point has been simply to ban any user who sends me a spam message, which typically works out fine for a site of that size. However somebody tried to use edeb8 to send 2000 messages in a short space of time, and so the host figured if that's possible, then my approach is not adequate. But yeah, I'll work something out.

I see. You are running an email server too I guess, rigth? Did they relay off it?
larztheloser
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 3:14:14 AM
UPDATE: after some grovelling, the site is running again. Sorry about the significant outage.

At 7/13/2016 3:01:11 AM, TBR wrote:

I see. You are running an email server too I guess, rigth? Did they relay off it?

Yeah, all on the one machine though. It's a pretty barebones thing that pipes everything it gets to and from my web scripts, and stores the output of all my crons. I think a relay is unlikely. More likely to be either a code exploit they found or actually there's nothing stopping somebody from just sending out 2000 edeb8 registrations to people currently... most emails are rate limited but a few still aren't. It'll take a while to get it all figured out anyway.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 3:19:14 AM
At 7/13/2016 3:14:14 AM, larztheloser wrote:
UPDATE: after some grovelling, the site is running again. Sorry about the significant outage.

At 7/13/2016 3:01:11 AM, TBR wrote:

Yeah, all on the one machine though. It's a pretty barebones thing that pipes everything it gets to and from my web scripts, and stores the output of all my crons. I think a relay is unlikely. More likely to be either a code exploit they found or actually there's nothing stopping somebody from just sending out 2000 edeb8 registrations to people currently... most emails are rate limited but a few still aren't. It'll take a while to get it all figured out anyway.

Good luck
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/13/2016 4:03:14 PM
If there is a hell, I hope email spammers are forced to eat printouts of what they sent.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...