Jump to topic:

With the presidency gone

Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 2:53:55 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
We can finally put all this shameless and unneeded drama behind us. The next thing we need to do is figure out how to give CPR to the community. I'm sure there will be a statement by max announcing the official deconstruction of the position itself when he has time later today. I think this is a step in the right direction. We have officially deleted a meaningless popularity contests that elects a figurehead while getting rid of the drama that comes with it.

What we now need to do is turn our eyes on community improvement. Anyone can go to Airmax with ideas, thoughts, or concerns when they have them. There is no elected official to bridge a gap that should not be there to begin with. I'm not sure if there is going to be a convention system, or what system will be used to replace the presidency and to be honest it does not matter. In the end we don't systematic politics to improve the site. We don't need elected officials or representatives. We need the community to realize that each and every person can do what the president could.

Programs like Hayds new user program, DKS topic of the month, or the tournaments we run in regular intervals are all great starts. This can extend to both mafia and fan fiction as well. We improve the site by getting new and active users to participate and stay. To do that we need to stimulate intellectual discussion and give shock therapy to the forums.

Every person has a reason why they use DDO. For some it's an outlet to escape life, for some it's a way to discuss ideas they cannot discuss in real life, and for others it's just a way to kill time and shoot the breeze. To get new members to stay we have to find that niche they are looking for and fill it. You cannot appeal to everyone the same way because everyone is looking for different things. This is why I love Hayds and Harders idea to reach out to new members.

I have not signed up for the program, but i'm taking 30 mins to an hour each day to reach out and do something similar myself. Finding new members or members that are inactive in the forums, and trying to integrate them into the site. Asking them about their thoughts, ideas, and interests. Finding out what they like and directing them to a part of the site that might be enjoyable, while encouraging them to participate in the forums.

I know others are spouting trump rhetoric by saying we can make this place great again. This is already a great place, and we can improve on it. It just takes each of us doing our part and throwing out site politics.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 4:36:57 PM
Can we ban F-16?
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Objectivity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 5:07:22 PM
At 7/14/2016 2:53:55 PM, Mikal wrote:
We can finally put all this shameless and unneeded drama behind us. The next thing we need to do is figure out how to give CPR to the community. I'm sure there will be a statement by max announcing the official deconstruction of the position itself when he has time later today. I think this is a step in the right direction. We have officially deleted a meaningless popularity contests that elects a figurehead while getting rid of the drama that comes with it.

What we now need to do is turn our eyes on community improvement. Anyone can go to Airmax with ideas, thoughts, or concerns when they have them. There is no elected official to bridge a gap that should not be there to begin with. I'm not sure if there is going to be a convention system, or what system will be used to replace the presidency and to be honest it does not matter. In the end we don't systematic politics to improve the site. We don't need elected officials or representatives. We need the community to realize that each and every person can do what the president could.

Programs like Hayds new user program, DKS topic of the month, or the tournaments we run in regular intervals are all great starts. This can extend to both mafia and fan fiction as well. We improve the site by getting new and active users to participate and stay. To do that we need to stimulate intellectual discussion and give shock therapy to the forums.

Every person has a reason why they use DDO. For some it's an outlet to escape life, for some it's a way to discuss ideas they cannot discuss in real life, and for others it's just a way to kill time and shoot the breeze. To get new members to stay we have to find that niche they are looking for and fill it. You cannot appeal to everyone the same way because everyone is looking for different things. This is why I love Hayds and Harders idea to reach out to new members.

I have not signed up for the program, but i'm taking 30 mins to an hour each day to reach out and do something similar myself. Finding new members or members that are inactive in the forums, and trying to integrate them into the site. Asking them about their thoughts, ideas, and interests. Finding out what they like and directing them to a part of the site that might be enjoyable, while encouraging them to participate in the forums.

I know others are spouting trump rhetoric by saying we can make this place great again. This is already a great place, and we can improve on it. It just takes each of us doing our part and throwing out site politics.

+1
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 5:30:15 PM
At 7/14/2016 5:29:01 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 7/14/2016 4:36:57 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Can we ban F-16?

I'm doing a debate on that shortly

There needs to be a debate on that? Isn't it just face value that F-16 is an extremely toxic member?
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 5:32:27 PM
At 7/14/2016 5:30:15 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Can we ban F-16?

There needs to be a debate on that? Isn't it just face value that F-16 is an extremely toxic member?

Yeah, but since there is no president it would serve the purpose of a trial. That dude has went off the deep end to the point of harassing minors and making fun of their problems.

he has exceeded all measurements of toxicity within the past day
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 5:34:02 PM
At 7/14/2016 5:32:27 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 7/14/2016 5:30:15 PM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Can we ban F-16?

Yeah, but since there is no president it would serve the purpose of a trial. That dude has went off the deep end to the point of harassing minors and making fun of their problems.

he has exceeded all measurements of toxicity within the past day

Agreed. He's been getting exponentially worse.

Kreakin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 5:34:59 PM
The vote is still open, the presidency exists until next Wednesday, presuming a win for abolition.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 5:55:23 PM
Well this was a pleasant thing to see upon logging on today.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Romanii
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 6:26:38 PM
What a joke. Nothing is gonna change just because the presidency was abolished. DDO will remain a melodramatic cesspool, because its current userbase sucks -- its core membership primarily consists of pathetic man-children and their teenage sycophants. In the words of Skepsikyma, "this site is trash as a debate site. It's Clubenguin for dysfunctional adults." The past few days have proved those words to be true beyond a shadow of doubt. I don't like F-16, but I can certainly empathize with his sentiments on what DDO has become. Ever since early 2015, this place has slowly degenerated into the internet's most cringe-worthy sh!t show.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 7:03:39 PM
At 7/14/2016 6:26:38 PM, Romanii wrote:
What a joke. Nothing is gonna change just because the presidency was abolished. DDO will remain a melodramatic cesspool, because its current userbase sucks -- its core membership primarily consists of pathetic man-children and their teenage sycophants. In the words of Skepsikyma, "this site is trash as a debate site. It's Clubenguin for dysfunctional adults." The past few days have proved those words to be true beyond a shadow of doubt. I don't like F-16, but I can certainly empathize with his sentiments on what DDO has become. Ever since early 2015, this place has slowly degenerated into the internet's most cringe-worthy sh!t show.

There is no defining moment for when the site went into decline. It's to hard to set a metric to gauge that by, as it would require an objective criteria to use. There is no way to say "this period" is the best point in site history. The site being a "cesspool" is strictly in the eye of the user, and I think a majority of those thoughts originate from nostalgia. Most members remember when debates were the focus of the site, but with the new user based it's shifting towards a more social oriented foundation. That as it has in the past will change again in the future. The users drive the site, so the way the site goes is driven by the community and members that actively participate. The state of the site however is entirely ephemeral and the form that it takes will always manifest itself differently. I'm sure it has the possibility to shift back to a debate centered platform in the future. It may not quell the desire for reminiscence to become reality, but i'm sure a new acceptable standard will come into play.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 8:39:36 PM
At 7/14/2016 2:53:55 PM, Mikal wrote:

Very well said.
Tsar of DDO