Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

The Presidency is Dead! Its finally Dead!

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 3:23:01 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Good morning DDO!

It took a little while longer than the majority of the site would have preferred, but the deed is done, and the goal has been reached: The Presidency of DDO has finally been abolished.

In a whopping 80%-20% vote that featured many former Wylted supporters abandoning him in droves and supporting abolition, YYW's referendum thread finally pushed Wylted to accept that we would not allow him to be President, that we would not allow his sham victory/theft fo the election to be legitimized, that we would not stand by while Airmax's unwillingness to intervene allowed Wylted to hold on to his stolen title, and that we would NOT ALLOW THE PRESIDENCY TO CONTINUE..... The presidency became irrelevant when Juggle vanished from the site, and the bane of the presidency has only held us back ever since.

Now, with Wylted finally capitulating and conceding defeat, recognizing that almost no member on this entire site wanted him to be president at all, we have freed ourselves from the debacle that is the DDO presidency..... It was ugly, it was nasty, and it was dirty, but the job was done. Against all odds and all attempted riggings and behind-the-scenes trickery, Wylted is no longer president, and the presidency itself is dead.

A heaping amount of the credit goes to YYW, who had the boulder-sized testicles to make a referendum thread first and ask questions later, when every other abolitionist on the site, including myself, would have first ensured Airmax's backing before attempting the same thing.... Although YYW can be brash and stubborn at times as we all have found out at some point, he proved to be instrumental and unexpendable at bringing down both Wylted and the presidency. Without YYW's referendum, along with the massive showing of support from abolitionist voters, this great victory wouldn't have come until much later in time, if ever at all.

Credit also goes out to all of those who turned out to vote to abolish the presidency..... Each and every person who was abolitionist from the start or only transitioned to abolition after Wylted's treachery can claim a small piece of the spoils in defeating the presidency.... Without the massive show of support from those supporting abolition, there's no telling how long or how desperately Wylted would have clung to the presidency that he illegally stole..... It does not matter if you were one of the first abolitionists to speak out against the presidency, or a recent abolitionist who was just disgusted with Wylted's actions. Every person who voted for abolition in YYW's referendum deserves credit for doing their part in bringing down the presidency.

4 days ago I gave a victory speech announcing that one way or another, abolition would soon be achieved despite Wylted's electioneering and deception of voters: http://www.debate.org... Today though is the day that we can say abolition has been achieved. The presidency is gone, and the goal that I set out months ago when I announced my campaign has finally been achieved: Abolition.

Regarding Conventions, thats a discussion for another day..... Conventions were an invention to legitimize voting for abolition in an election, but site-wide unity against Wylted legitimized voting for abolition far better than any theoretical system I could come up with ever could.... I will not press for any referendum on implementing Conventions anytime soon, I think it would be best to let this sh*t die down for a little and see if things just dont work out that way ;D

With all that said, let us take in this amazing feat we have achieved..... The Presidency, a position that has been around on the site longer than almost any still-active member on the site, has finally been abolished. WE abolished it. Together. While we cant say for sure what the future will hold for the site, we can now gleefully sprint towards it now that we are no longer chained to the rotting carcass that is the presidency. We are free from it now, and will be free from it for some time to come.

Thank you everyone who supported abolition in the referendum, thank you everyone who supported me in the initial election, and thank you everyone for reading. This may very well be the hardest fought victory ever achieved in the extensive history of DDO, so let us take our victory lap and celebrate! WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!

- Imabench
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 3:54:45 PM
At 7/14/2016 3:23:01 PM, imabench wrote:
Good morning DDO!

It took a little while longer than the majority of the site would have preferred, but the deed is done, and the goal has been reached: The Presidency of DDO has finally been abolished.

In a whopping 80%-20% vote that featured many former Wylted supporters abandoning him in droves and supporting abolition, YYW's referendum thread finally pushed Wylted to accept that we would not allow him to be President, that we would not allow his sham victory/theft fo the election to be legitimized, that we would not stand by while Airmax's unwillingness to intervene allowed Wylted to hold on to his stolen title, and that we would NOT ALLOW THE PRESIDENCY TO CONTINUE..... The presidency became irrelevant when Juggle vanished from the site, and the bane of the presidency has only held us back ever since.

Now, with Wylted finally capitulating and conceding defeat, recognizing that almost no member on this entire site wanted him to be president at all, we have freed ourselves from the debacle that is the DDO presidency..... It was ugly, it was nasty, and it was dirty, but the job was done. Against all odds and all attempted riggings and behind-the-scenes trickery, Wylted is no longer president, and the presidency itself is dead.

A heaping amount of the credit goes to YYW, who had the boulder-sized testicles to make a referendum thread first and ask questions later, when every other abolitionist on the site, including myself, would have first ensured Airmax's backing before attempting the same thing.... Although YYW can be brash and stubborn at times as we all have found out at some point, he proved to be instrumental and unexpendable at bringing down both Wylted and the presidency. Without YYW's referendum, along with the massive showing of support from abolitionist voters, this great victory wouldn't have come until much later in time, if ever at all.

Credit also goes out to all of those who turned out to vote to abolish the presidency..... Each and every person who was abolitionist from the start or only transitioned to abolition after Wylted's treachery can claim a small piece of the spoils in defeating the presidency.... Without the massive show of support from those supporting abolition, there's no telling how long or how desperately Wylted would have clung to the presidency that he illegally stole..... It does not matter if you were one of the first abolitionists to speak out against the presidency, or a recent abolitionist who was just disgusted with Wylted's actions. Every person who voted for abolition in YYW's referendum deserves credit for doing their part in bringing down the presidency.

4 days ago I gave a victory speech announcing that one way or another, abolition would soon be achieved despite Wylted's electioneering and deception of voters: http://www.debate.org... Today though is the day that we can say abolition has been achieved. The presidency is gone, and the goal that I set out months ago when I announced my campaign has finally been achieved: Abolition.

Regarding Conventions, thats a discussion for another day..... Conventions were an invention to legitimize voting for abolition in an election, but site-wide unity against Wylted legitimized voting for abolition far better than any theoretical system I could come up with ever could.... I will not press for any referendum on implementing Conventions anytime soon, I think it would be best to let this sh*t die down for a little and see if things just dont work out that way ;D

With all that said, let us take in this amazing feat we have achieved..... The Presidency, a position that has been around on the site longer than almost any still-active member on the site, has finally been abolished. WE abolished it. Together. While we cant say for sure what the future will hold for the site, we can now gleefully sprint towards it now that we are no longer chained to the rotting carcass that is the presidency. We are free from it now, and will be free from it for some time to come.

Thank you everyone who supported abolition in the referendum, thank you everyone who supported me in the initial election, and thank you everyone for reading. This may very well be the hardest fought victory ever achieved in the extensive history of DDO, so let us take our victory lap and celebrate! WE DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!

- Imabench

As insipid as Wylted's actions were, they may have been the proper catalyst to move towards the community direct democracy - call it whatever we may. Come to mention it, that may be the little bit I have beeen looking for. The one bit I can compliment Wylted for.
Mikal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 3:57:28 PM
At 7/14/2016 3:54:45 PM, TBR wrote:
Good morning DDO!

- Imabench

As insipid as Wylted's actions were, they may have been the proper catalyst to move towards the community direct democracy - call it whatever we may. Come to mention it, that may be the little bit I have beeen looking for. The one bit I can compliment Wylted for.

I concur, while Wylted is a vile manifestation of everything that was wrong with the elections, at least he was the catalyst to enact abolitionism.
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 4:05:13 PM
Good morning DDO!

- Imabench

Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!!
Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!!
Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!!
Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!!
Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!!! Yay!
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 4:06:05 PM
I stated this in the Referendum thread, but Wylted stepping down doesn't abolish the presidency - no more so than Mikal stepping down did.

It still exists, it is still vacant.

The Referendum is still on going, and won't end for a week. I'll grant that if the current trend holds, it will end with a clear vote for abolishment.

Then what?

What is to stop - as some have suggested - people electing a new president 6 months from now? Or even a week from now?

Ok, airmax has stated he'll abide by this Referendum. So he won't host a presidential election. What's going to stop someone else from doing it? What's going to stop people from voting it?

Is he going to ban people from holding elections? I doubt it.
Is he going to ban people from voting on a president? I doubt it.
If someone holds an election, with all of the requirements as the one we just held, and many people vote in that election, and vote for a president, is he just going to ignore it? I doubt it.

Voting presidents in and out just perpetuates the core problem. People that are pro-presidency are still pro-presidency, even if they voted "abolish" as proxy for ousting Wylted.

What we really needed was to see, first hand, *why* the presidency was bad and while this was a great example of that, I feel that letting Wylted take the wheel would have been more effective.

I don't see much changing in the long term.
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 4:06:11 PM
Good morning DDO!

- Imabench

Do you think Abolition has what it takes to win the next presidential election. It won't .
Due to the fact you called for a Referendum this time.
So In 6 months time the referendum will ask president or no president. And in that case .presidency will always win
due to a few unsavory members that think they can become president.
And then you'll get what we had here last week.
Wich is the way he wants it.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 4:09:12 PM
At 7/14/2016 3:57:28 PM, Mikal wrote:
At 7/14/2016 3:54:45 PM, TBR wrote:
Good morning DDO!

- Imabench

I concur, while Wylted is a vile manifestation of everything that was wrong with the elections, at least he was the catalyst to enact abolitionism.

Yea. That is the right word. Manifestation.

Manifestation
an event, action, or object that clearly shows or embodies something, especially a theory or an abstract idea

He made very clear how useless the thing was.
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 4:36:20 PM
At 7/14/2016 4:24:12 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:
We should follow what the rest of the world is doing right now and elect a female president.

Hell naw
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 4:42:01 PM
At 7/14/2016 3:57:28 PM, Mikal wrote:

Judging from the initial election thread, abolition would have won and all of this would have ended that much earlier...... Wylted only prolonged the inevitable by stealing the election himself and everyone denouncing him for the terrible president he would have become, he wasnt the final catalyst to enact abolitionism
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

Kreakin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 5:41:11 PM
The votes still open, don't get premature. Now the incumbent is out people may feel able to vote to keep the presidency.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2016 5:55:10 PM
At 7/14/2016 5:41:11 PM, Kreakin wrote:
The votes still open, don't get premature. Now the incumbent is out people may feel able to vote to keep the presidency.

"With that sentiment in mind, I accept the will of the community to abolish the presidency, and effective immediately, step down" - Wylted

He conceded that he lost, and lost badly. The position is dead.

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 4:11:38 AM
At 7/14/2016 9:33:18 PM, Kreakin wrote:
No, the position is vacant.

The president himself just declared the position abolished. Let it go

ClassicRobert
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 2:41:18 PM
So does this mean that when I come back to the site like I do sometimes, 90% of the discussion won't be dominated by a mostly meaningless position?
Debate me: Economic decision theory should be adjusted to include higher-order preferences for non-normative purposes http://www.debate.org...

Do you really believe that? Or not? If you believe it, you should man up and defend it in a debate. -RoyLatham

My Pet Fish is such a Douche- NiamC

It's an app to meet friends and stuff, sort of like an adult club penguin- Thett3, describing Tinder