fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 11:30:18 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
what?
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 5:12:51 AM
At 7/15/2016 11:24:23 PM, Hayd wrote:
I was looking forward to that...
I think I killed it by stating that if there is an official "parent thread" the hangout permalink should be removed, since the first time I was on hangouts there was blatant discussion of drugs (pro) and a parent may delve a little deeper than just trusting a thread. If a parent were to stumble onto the hangouts at an inopportune time, they would not approve most likely. Anyways, an official parent thread looks suspicious. If my sons were younger (they are now 19 and 22) and were on a site with a parent thread, I would especially wanna delve deeper, to see what the site was hiding. I know there are many more serious dangers online than DDO, but parents who take the time to check out the sites their kids use, can decide without an official thread, that would probably only highlight the more positive aspects of the site.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 6:26:22 AM
For those who dont know, the 'parent thread' was an idea that DDO make a message for parents of younger users on DDO regarding what the site was about and what you can expect form it, since a lot of newer users these days can range from 12 to 16 whose parents are hesitant about their presence on this site
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 6:44:18 AM
At 7/16/2016 6:26:22 AM, imabench wrote:
For those who dont know, the 'parent thread' was an idea that DDO make a message for parents of younger users on DDO regarding what the site was about and what you can expect form it, since a lot of newer users these days can range from 12 to 16 whose parents are hesitant about their presence on this site
If my kids were still that age - I'd let them join, but would also join - lol. And I'd limit the time we would all spend here (separate times if I found the site "trustworthy"). When they were that age I didn't have excess time on my hands like I do now though, so it would be like 10 hours or so each per week.
Godgirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 3:16:32 PM

Lol I just signed up and later that day I said "hey, mom, I signed up for this debate website," and she said ok.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 3:25:10 PM
The whole idea was stupid, so I suggest to proceed to drink bleach while standing in the middle of a railway if you thought that was anywhere near a good idea.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 3:27:15 PM
At 7/16/2016 5:12:51 AM, Emmarie wrote:
I think I killed it by stating that if there is an official "parent thread" the hangout permalink should be removed, since the first time I was on hangouts there was blatant discussion of drugs (pro) and a parent may delve a little deeper than just trusting a thread. If a parent were to stumble onto the hangouts at an inopportune time, they would not approve most likely. Anyways, an official parent thread looks suspicious. If my sons were younger (they are now 19 and 22) and were on a site with a parent thread, I would especially wanna delve deeper, to see what the site was hiding. I know there are many more serious dangers online than DDO, but parents who take the time to check out the sites their kids use, can decide without an official thread, that would probably only highlight the more positive aspects of the site.

When is it your job to police OTHER parents' children? Twat.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 5:30:20 PM
At 7/16/2016 3:27:15 PM, triangle.128k wrote:

It is within my liberty to make parents aware so that they can police their own kids. Grown people are discouraged from having adult conversations on here, because young people are present, but young adults with skills of persuasion, talk openly about drug usage on the hangouts, and members signatures are filled with vile quotes of what was said on hangouts. The quote about a certain member - (who I won't name but who I respect) - doing such and such with a piece of raw chicken stands out in my mind, as a reason that parents should check out the site and decide for themselves. It's quotes like those that could cause moderation to ban being able to quote members in their signatures. I do think that anything said on the hangouts, shouldn't be able to be quoted in signatures on DDO, but I think written quotes from the DDO website should be quotable in signatures.

If young members had their way, (teens and young adults) airmax could post a "nice" thread telling parents that it's all clean fun here. It's not though. Intellectually stimulating adult conversations seem taboo, while young adults who could be the most influential on teens are sometimes vile and vulgar.
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 5:43:49 PM
At 7/16/2016 5:30:20 PM, Emmarie wrote:

It is within my liberty to make parents aware so that they can police their own kids. Grown people are discouraged from having adult conversations on here, because young people are present, but young adults with skills of persuasion, talk openly about drug usage on the hangouts, and members signatures are filled with vile quotes of what was said on hangouts.
Beh, grown people can talk about whatever the f*ck they want. Who the bloody hell is going to care about "adult conversations?" Look at all the youth on here. Do you think any of them would give a f*ck or care!? Also, what the actual f*ck makes you think people won't lie about their age then? I see this is an attempt at you trying to drive the youth off the website.

The quote about a certain member - (who I won't name but who I respect) - doing such and such with a piece of raw chicken stands out in my mind, as a reason that parents should check out the site and decide for themselves. It's quotes like those that could cause moderation to ban being able to quote members in their signatures. I do think that anything said on the hangouts, shouldn't be able to be quoted in signatures on DDO, but I think written quotes from the DDO website should be quotable in signatures.
My god, do you think 7 year olds are coming on here? What kind of teenager doesn't go on the internet and hide nearly everything they do and bypass parental controls if their parents monitor them? And like I said, other children are OTHER PARENTS' business you god damn twat.

If young members had their way, (teens and young adults) airmax could post a "nice" thread telling parents that it's all clean fun here. It's not though. Intellectually stimulating adult conversations seem taboo, while young adults who could be the most influential on teens are sometimes vile and vulgar.
Whatever
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 5:57:49 PM
At 7/16/2016 5:43:49 PM, triangle.128k wrote:

It is within my liberty to make parents aware so that they can police their own kids. Grown people are discouraged from having adult conversations on here, because young people are present, but young adults with skills of persuasion, talk openly about drug usage on the hangouts, and members signatures are filled with vile quotes of what was said on hangouts.
Beh, grown people can talk about whatever the f*ck they want. Who the bloody hell is going to care about "adult conversations?" Look at all the youth on here. Do you think any of them would give a f*ck or care!? Also, what the actual f*ck makes you think people won't lie about their age then? I see this is an attempt at you trying to drive the youth off the website.
No, but it is an attempt to express my dislike for having to cowtow to the youth in the kinds of content I post, while young adults are free to be vile and vulgar.

The quote about a certain member - (who I won't name but who I respect) - doing such and such with a piece of raw chicken stands out in my mind, as a reason that parents should check out the site and decide for themselves. It's quotes like those that could cause moderation to ban being able to quote members in their signatures. I do think that anything said on the hangouts, shouldn't be able to be quoted in signatures on DDO, but I think written quotes from the DDO website should be quotable in signatures.
My god, do you think 7 year olds are coming on here? What kind of teenager doesn't go on the internet and hide nearly everything they do and bypass parental controls if their parents monitor them? And like I said, other children are OTHER PARENTS' business you god damn twat.

Exactly, and other people's children are none of DDO's business either then, so expecting moderation to make a thread that lies about how wholesome this site is an attempt to deceive parents about the nature of the content on here. Parents are at liberty to parent and monitor their own kids. DDO shouldn't be responsible for reassuring parents that their kids are in a wholesome online environment.

Whatever
triangle.128k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 6:15:10 PM
At 7/16/2016 5:57:49 PM, Emmarie wrote:

No, but it is an attempt to express my dislike for having to cowtow to the youth in the kinds of content I post, while young adults are free to be vile and vulgar.
The ONLY body who thinks trying appealing to the youth is a requirement for posing things here is YOU, F*cKING SUBHUMAN.

No, the world doesn't raise all children together you r3tard. Not all teenagers have down syndrome and need special treatment and to be protected. If they find anything on here disturbing, they can go ahead and drink bleach while falling off a cliff. That's not our problem.

Exactly, and other people's children are none of DDO's business either then, so expecting moderation to make a thread that lies about how wholesome this site is an attempt to deceive parents about the nature of the content on here. Parents are at liberty to parent and monitor their own kids. DDO shouldn't be responsible for reassuring parents that their kids are in a wholesome online environment.
Exactly you CUCK, what doesn't get through your thick skull?

Whatever

You're officially a subhuman species Emmarie, thanks for proving it.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 6:43:25 PM
At 7/16/2016 6:15:10 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
At 7/16/2016 5:57:49 PM, Emmarie wrote:

The ONLY body who thinks trying appealing to the youth is a requirement for posing things here is YOU, F*cKING SUBHUMAN.
I'm for individual liberty of parents making choices for their own kids, based on their own discretion. I'm not for DDO making a parent thread that reassures them it is suitable content, without parents checking it out for THEMSELVES and deciding based on their own values.

Exactly you CUCK, what doesn't get through your thick skull?
Your insults for starters, but also I'm just curious why you think DDO should provide a parent thread, but I shouldn't express my concerns about why it is a bad idea.

Whatever

You're officially a subhuman species Emmarie, thanks for proving it.
No, the world doesn't raise all children together you r3tard. Not all teenagers have down syndrome and need special treatment and to be protected. If they find anything on here disturbing, they can go ahead and drink bleach while falling off a cliff. That's not our problem.

What on earth are you talking about. You attacked me because I stated the reasons that DDO shouldn't make a "parent thread." That would mean that you support the idea of a parent thread that lies to parents about the wholesomeness of this site. And why did you respond to your own question, " My god, do you think 7 year olds are coming on here? What kind of teenager doesn't go on the internet and hide nearly everything they do and bypass parental controls if their parents monitor them?" and try to make it seem like it was my response?
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 11:17:40 PM

I doubt you were the reason it wasn't posted lol. Regardless, your reasons don't make sense. If a parent were to join the google hangout, it would obviously be someone we hadn't ever seen before. So we would ask them who they are. They would then tell us that they are a parent of someone who is thinking of joining the site, and the people in the hangout obviously wouldn't talk about doing drugs in that situation lol. But even if there wasn't an inherent solution to this problem, was this ever a problem? Has there ever a parent who joined the site google hangout in order to monitor for bad activity before? Probably never. And even if they did, I doubt they would hear any stuff that was worse than they would see on the actual site, in threads and stuff. At least in the hangout the members are able to explain themselves and tone it down. So *if anything* the hangout is actually good for that lol, but the entire idea of it is simply wrong in like three different ways lol.

And the idea that a parent thread would not be conspicuous, if anything it would be beneficial to the parent's view of the site since it would state that there are many members with younger ages (14-16), which would make the parent feel easier about having their 14-16 year old on here. And the fact that the moderator of the site is resolving their issues would be *much* more beneficial than them lurking without justification and their issue's not being resolved. But the issue of just having a thread for parent's doesn't make them think that the site isn't for parents to monitor their child's activity lol, the idea's ludicrous. This is because if you look at the alternative, a site such as thus without a parent thread, a parent seeing that would be more alarmed than having a site such as thus but with a parent thread.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 11:21:49 PM
At 7/16/2016 3:25:10 PM, triangle.128k wrote:
The whole idea was stupid, so I suggest to proceed to drink bleach while standing in the middle of a railway if you thought that was anywhere near a good idea.

Its not a stupid idea. The site has a large population of younger members who contribute substantially to the site. Many of these members are hindered in contributing substantially to the site because of their parent's cautions. A parent thread would go to resolve this, and thus increase the amount of substantial contributors to the site, which is a good thing.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 11:22:38 PM
At 7/16/2016 3:16:32 PM, Godgirl wrote:

Lol I just signed up and later that day I said "hey, mom, I signed up for this debate website," and she said ok.

Lucky lol. I was grounded from the site for about 8 months straight. Just got it back so now I don't have to sneak around all the time
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 11:28:56 PM
At 7/17/2016 11:17:40 PM, Hayd wrote:

I doubt you were the reason it wasn't posted lol. Regardless, your reasons don't make sense. If a parent were to join the google hangout, it would obviously be someone we hadn't ever seen before. So we would ask them who they are. They would then tell us that they are a parent of someone who is thinking of joining the site, and the people in the hangout obviously wouldn't talk about doing drugs in that situation lol. But even if there wasn't an inherent solution to this problem, was this ever a problem? Has there ever a parent who joined the site google hangout in order to monitor for bad activity before? Probably never. And even if they did, I doubt they would hear any stuff that was worse than they would see on the actual site, in threads and stuff. At least in the hangout the members are able to explain themselves and tone it down. So *if anything* the hangout is actually good for that lol, but the entire idea of it is simply wrong in like three different ways lol.

And the idea that a parent thread would not be conspicuous, if anything it would be beneficial to the parent's view of the site since it would state that there are many members with younger ages (14-16), which would make the parent feel easier about having their 14-16 year old on here. And the fact that the moderator of the site is resolving their issues would be *much* more beneficial than them lurking without justification and their issue's not being resolved. But the issue of just having a thread for parent's doesn't make them think that the site isn't for parents to monitor their child's activity lol, the idea's ludicrous. This is because if you look at the alternative, a site such as thus without a parent thread, a parent seeing that would be more alarmed than having a site such as thus but with a parent thread.

Well then there must be some really lazy parents out there, if they would be willing to let their kids go on a site, just because there is a parent thread assuring them that the site is "safe," without checking it out for themselves.

So what you are suggesting is that without a parent thread, some kids wouldn't be allowed to be on here? If that is the case then those kids should follow the rules of their parents. We shouldn't potentially change the site to accommodate kids whose parents have decided that the content on this site isn't what they'd like their kids to be involved with.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 11:35:33 PM
At 7/17/2016 11:28:56 PM, Emmarie wrote:

Well then there must be some really lazy parents out there, if they would be willing to let their kids go on a site, just because there is a parent thread assuring them that the site is "safe," without checking it out for themselves.

I never said that that is their only criteria. It obviously would be a large factor, and would negate many of the harms that they had rationalized in their head about the site, which would factor into their cost/benefit analysis. As well as propose unforseen benefits. Thus, the parent thread does go to significantly help this.

So what you are suggesting is that without a parent thread, some kids wouldn't be allowed to be on here? If that is the case then those kids should follow the rules of their parents. We shouldn't potentially change the site to accommodate kids whose parents have decided that the content on this site isn't what they'd like their kids to be involved with.

I never said that some kids wouldn't be able to go on here, or that we should change the site in order to accommodate parents who decided that they don't want their kids on the site. The parent site could result in more kids joining the site, as their parents wouldn't have let them join before. The thread could also result in parent's feeling more easy about their kid's going on here, and thus leading the kids to go on here more often. And given that many of these kids are substantial contributors, there will be more substantial contribution.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 11:52:12 PM
At 7/17/2016 11:35:33 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 7/17/2016 11:28:56 PM, Emmarie wrote:

I doubt you were the reason it wasn't posted lol. Regardless, your reasons don't make sense. If a parent were to join the google hangout, it would obviously be someone we hadn't ever seen before. So we would ask them who they are.
And they could have made an account on DDO saying they are whatever age they wanted to and claim to not have a mic or camera, and you'd never know if they were someone else's parent! It would be deceptive I admit, but for a protective cause. The deception that you advocate for could be perceived to be for a perverted cause, who knows?

They would then tell us that they are a parent of someone who is thinking of joining the site, and the people in the hangout obviously wouldn't talk about doing drugs in that situation lol.
Laugh out loud all you wanna, you would deliberately deceive them and that isn't funny in the least bit!

But even if there wasn't an inherent solution to this problem, was this ever a problem? Has there ever a parent who joined the site google hangout in order to monitor for bad activity before? Probably never. And even if they did, I doubt they would hear any stuff that was worse than they would see on the actual site, in threads and stuff. At least in the hangout the members are able to explain themselves and tone it down. So *if anything* the hangout is actually good for that lol, but the entire idea of it is simply wrong in like three different ways lol.

I never said that that is their only criteria. It obviously would be a large factor, and would negate many of the harms that they had rationalized in their head about the site, which would factor into their cost/benefit analysis. As well as propose unforseen benefits. Thus, the parent thread does go to significantly help this.
What benefits? How does more kids that age here benefit the site. Personally, I'd like more adults to join.

I never said that some kids wouldn't be able to go on here, or that we should change the site in order to accommodate parents who decided that they don't want their kids on the site. The parent site could result in more kids joining the site, as their parents wouldn't have let them join before. The thread could also result in parent's feeling more easy about their kid's going on here, and thus leading the kids to go on here more often. And given that many of these kids are substantial contributors, there will be more substantial contribution.

I don't know why kids under 16 would be interested in this site. Much of the content is about serious issues that they shouldn't be concerned with. Let them enjoy their youth.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 11:53:21 PM
At 7/17/2016 11:21:49 PM, Hayd wrote:

Its not a stupid idea. The site has a large population of younger members who contribute substantially to the site. Many of these members are hindered in contributing substantially to the site because of their parent's cautions. A parent thread would go to resolve this, and thus increase the amount of substantial contributors to the site, which is a good thing.

I might write one at some point. I understand why you want it. Given the demographics of the site now, it might be necessary.

Increasingly, based on conversations I've had with Airmax as well, I am of the view that the site does in some sense have to accommodate that demographic shift. It's the hospitable thing to do.
Tsar of DDO
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 11:58:34 PM
At 7/17/2016 11:53:21 PM, YYW wrote:

I might write one at some point. I understand why you want it. Given the demographics of the site now, it might be necessary.

Increasingly, based on conversations I've had with Airmax as well, I am of the view that the site does in some sense have to accommodate that demographic shift. It's the hospitable thing to do.

+1
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 12:05:46 AM
At 7/17/2016 11:58:34 PM, Hayd wrote:

+1

I think a lot of parents are irrationally wary about anything their kids do online. There are documentaries that come out (like the one on CNN a year ago) that talk about how terrible kids are to one another online. Twitter and Facebook were the culprits of that documentary.

That said, DDO is the safest place I have ever seen on the internet, and it is one of the most strictly moderated. That has good and bad effects, but, as I said, given the demographic shift, I at least understand why that is the case and... in light of some recent events that have changed my view of that, am sympathetic to the objectives that approach has to a greater degree than before.

Parents probably should understand how that process works; for example, what is allowed and what is not allowed. Parents should probably also know that this is not an uncensored environment, nor is it an environment where certain kinds of unacceptable behavior of various forms is tolerated. True enough there are some things here that are a bit risque, but life is that way sometimes.

So I'll give it some thought... weigh the pros and cons... think about what I might write. I would say that someone else could write it, but in general I trust my own judgment more than I trust other people's. I kind of micromanage like that.
Tsar of DDO
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 12:08:52 AM
At 7/17/2016 11:52:12 PM, Emmarie wrote:
I doubt you were the reason it wasn't posted lol. Regardless, your reasons don't make sense. If a parent were to join the google hangout, it would obviously be someone we hadn't ever seen before. So we would ask them who they are.
And they could have made an account on DDO saying they are whatever age they wanted to and claim to not have a mic or camera, and you'd never know if they were someone else's parent! It would be deceptive I admit, but for a protective cause. The deception that you advocate for could be perceived to be for a perverted cause, who knows?

Lol, the amount of times that scenario would occur ever 200 years is once. This is too much speculation to be an actual material impact in the argument.

Laugh out loud all you wanna, you would deliberately deceive them and that isn't funny in the least bit!

A parent thread would not decieve the parent in the slightest.

What benefits? How does more kids that age here benefit the site. Personally, I'd like more adults to join.

The benefits of more substantial contribution to the site. More adults joining would be fine too, but younger members are just as good. Almost half of the largest contributors to the site are under 18. To say there are no benefits of having under 18 members is ludicrous

I don't know why kids under 16 would be interested in this site. Much of the content is about serious issues that they shouldn't be concerned with. Let them enjoy their youth.

Lol, this is just so blatantly wrong is so many different areas I don't even know what to say
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 12:22:02 AM
At 7/18/2016 12:05:46 AM, YYW wrote:

+1

I think a lot of parents are irrationally wary about anything their kids do online. There are documentaries that come out (like the one on CNN a year ago) that talk about how terrible kids are to one another online. Twitter and Facebook were the culprits of that documentary.

That said, DDO is the safest place I have ever seen on the internet, and it is one of the most strictly moderated. That has good and bad effects, but, as I said, given the demographic shift, I at least understand why that is the case and... in light of some recent events that have changed my view of that, am sympathetic to the objectives that approach has to a greater degree than before.

Parents probably should understand how that process works; for example, what is allowed and what is not allowed. Parents should probably also know that this is not an uncensored environment, nor is it an environment where certain kinds of unacceptable behavior of various forms is tolerated. True enough there are some things here that are a bit risque, but life is that way sometimes.

So I'll give it some thought... weigh the pros and cons... think about what I might write. I would say that someone else could write it, but in general I trust my own judgment more than I trust other people's. I kind of micromanage like that.

I agree, not much to respond to. make sure to run the thing by me though , I have some ideas for it.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 12:29:01 AM
At 7/18/2016 12:22:02 AM, Hayd wrote:
At 7/18/2016 12:05:46 AM, YYW wrote:

+1

I agree, not much to respond to. make sure to run the thing by me though , I have some ideas for it.

Shoot me a PM w/them
Tsar of DDO
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 12:55:54 AM
At 7/18/2016 12:08:52 AM, Hayd wrote:
At 7/17/2016 11:52:12 PM, Emmarie wrote:

Lol, the amount of times that scenario would occur ever 200 years is once. This is too much speculation to be an actual material impact in the argument.

A parent thread would not decieve the parent in the slightest.

The benefits of more substantial contribution to the site. More adults joining would be fine too, but younger members are just as good. Almost half of the largest contributors to the site are under 18. To say there are no benefits of having under 18 members is ludicrous

Lol, this is just so blatantly wrong is so many different areas I don't even know what to say
If a parent thread ever gets stickied, I will personally respond to the thread daily and encourage any parent who reads it - to join the site themselves. Maybe the parent thread could actually serve to get more adults to actually join the site. Betcha never thought of that, did ya?
Godgirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 11:20:43 PM
At 7/17/2016 11:22:38 PM, Hayd wrote:
At 7/16/2016 3:16:32 PM, Godgirl wrote:

Lucky lol. I was grounded from the site for about 8 months straight. Just got it back so now I don't have to sneak around all the time

Wow. Yeah, usually they're kind of strict about social media and stuff like that, but I guess she figured nothing bad can happen on a debate website.