Jump to topic:

Someone explain to me what's going on

Godgirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 11:33:19 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
With the presidency, moderation, etc. I've seen so many threads talking about it but I don't have a clue what's happening. (Partially b/ c I kind of left the site for a few months)
Things I do know:
1. President is (or was) in charge of communications with Juggle.
2. Bsh1 was, at some semi-recent point in time, site president.
3. Imabench, Wylted, YYW, and Airmax all seem to be pretty heavily involved.
Anyone want to fill me in on the rest?
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 11:34:40 PM
At 7/15/2016 11:33:19 PM, Godgirl wrote:
With the presidency, moderation, etc. I've seen so many threads talking about it but I don't have a clue what's happening. (Partially b/ c I kind of left the site for a few months)
Things I do know:

Presidency ended. It's all over. Actually it is not over. But presidency ended.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
ESocialBookworm
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 11:34:59 PM
Things I do know:

We no longer have a presidency because Wylted campaigned to get people to vote for him in the elections, without telling the other candidates who weren't aware he was even running. Then, the community voted him out and voila, we're here.
Solonkr~
I don't care about whether an ideology is "necessary" or not,
I care about how to solve problems,
which is what everyone else should also care about.

Ken~
In essence, the world is fucked up and you can either ignore it, become cynical or bitter about it.

Me~
"BAILEY + SOLON = SAILEY
MY SHIP SAILEY MUST SAIL"

SCREW THAT SHIZ #BANNIE = BAILEY & ANNIE

P.S. Shipped Sailey before it was cannon bitches.
Godgirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 11:38:23 PM
At 7/15/2016 11:34:40 PM, fire_wings wrote:
Things I do know:

'K thanks. What does that change about how the site functions?
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 11:39:42 PM
At 7/15/2016 11:38:23 PM, Godgirl wrote:
Things I do know:

no presidency. That's what changed.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 11:40:15 PM
Things I do know:

Don't worry about it.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 11:41:33 PM
My best attempt at clarifying the uncontrollable clusterfvck of the last few days:

-Election happened to vote for new president , bsh1's term ended

-"front runners" consisted of the users Donaldkeller,1harderthanyouthink and imabench (promising to abolish presidency)

-users YYW and Imabench wanted to end the election.

-On the day of the election , Wylted pms everyone to vote for him.

-Wylted wins by a landslide, essentially hijacking the election.

-This posses everyone off, especially YYW.

-Wylted promises to hold a "referendum" on the abolition of the presidency.

-Debate forum descends into a circlejerk of "referendum" spam.

-airmax wakes up to this ungodly moderation disaster and cleans the jerk.

-Official refrendum is held.

-Presidency is officially abolished.
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
Godgirl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/15/2016 11:43:46 PM
At 7/15/2016 11:39:42 PM, fire_wings wrote:
Things I do know:

If it changed literally nothing else then why did we have a president to begin with?
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/16/2016 12:03:39 AM
Things I do know:

For the recent presidential elections, Wylted pm'ed people on the site to vote him, a tactic that was condemned. Imabench, who only campaigned to be president to abolish the presidency, lost the elections to Wylted, who out of the blue decided to run for president, and eventually won. People don't think he deserved it.

Then, YYW, decided enough was enough, and set up a referendum to abolish the presidency. People didn't think that was fair either, because Wylted was president, and Wylted should decide a referendum. But Airmax, the site moderator, gave his approval of the referendum. People still think it isn't fair because it's not the moderator's job to decide how the site should be run. But, in the end, most people did want a referendum, regardless of president Wylted's opinion. And for now, the majority of votes say to get rid of the presidency.

On a side note, Esocialbookworm (a friendly DDO member), made a parody of the referendum, giving people two options. To: 1) F uck it all or 2) F uck everything. Since having no president is to f uck it all. And to stay with the presidency, and keep Wylted (who previously also said he didn't really want to be president), is to f uck everything.

That's the jist of it, from my pov.
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 3:55:56 PM
At 7/15/2016 11:43:46 PM, Godgirl wrote:
At 7/15/2016 11:39:42 PM, fire_wings wrote:
Things I do know:

If it changed literally nothing else then why did we have a president to begin with?

The Presidency was merely a popularity contest for a small group of self-obsessed drama queens. It had absolutely nothing to do with how the site functions.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 7:34:02 PM
Things I do know:

There are many issues that people are talking about. One of the biggest right now is on the presidency. Members of the community have desired to abolish the presidency for nearly a year now, and some longer than that. Others do not wish to abolish the presidency.

To settle the issue for now, and in response to the state of affairs in the community, I posted a referendum thread. That caused a lot of controversy. Some of the people driving the controversy have posted their perspective in this thread.

Very little has been said about why the presidency should remain. Really, the only thing that the pro-presidency people have said is that various people (for example, myself, Airmax the moderater, etc.) do not have "the authority" to ask the community what it thinks. This argument has proven futile, in light of the fact that a referendum is actively taking place. I voted, as has the majority of the site so far, to abolish.

The real reason why this is an issue, though, has less to do with the presidency itself and more to do with where we are, as a site. In particular, members have used the presidency as an avenue through which to manifest of an expression of a lot of tension that has been building for many months now. One member in particular had what I think most would regard as a "psychological meltdown." If you are interested in this, it is contained in the first ten pages or so of the "referendum" thread which I posted.

You should judge for yourself what you think is best, but do so with the understanding that no benefit has come from the presidency that could not come from anywhere else. That means that there is no unique reason to maintain the presidency. The best argument is that "the presidency does some stuff some people like," but, there is no reason why that stuff couldn't continue by other means. In fact, many people have already taken the initiative to do that.

My hope at the end of this is that the site settles down, and there is less "site-specific" political stuff (like whether to keep the presidency) for people to fight over. Most of the arguments against in "favor" of the presidency, after all, are not arguments to maintain the presidency. Bsh1 is the only member who has even approached actually making an argument to maintain the presidency, and if you want the pro-presidency perspective he is probably the only person who will describe it to you without making it an opportunity to rage. Everyone else has more or less used this as an opportunity to rage, which is bad.

But... that's what's going on.

What all this means is pretty simple: the site may decide to keep the presidency, or it may decide to abolish it. Regardless of what happens, we cannot keep going as we are, because there is just too much unpleasantness associated with it all. If you want the pro-abolition side, talk to Danielle or Mikal or me, YYW.
Tsar of DDO
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/17/2016 11:07:22 PM
Things I do know:

Nothing you need to be concerned about. They are arguing about who should be crowned the most popular current user.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%