Jump to topic:

Parent Thread on DDO is a Bad Idea

Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 12:19:26 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
A certain well known member would like airmax to sticky a thread to assure parents that this site is a safe place for their kids to "hang out." I am against the idea that assures parents of this because it may discourage parents for checking out the content of the site for themselves, and deciding based on their own findings. I am for the individual liberty of parents deciding what is in the best interest of their own kids, and I don't think that posting a parent thread that most likely would only highlight the positive aspects of the site, would be the best way for parents to decide for themselves based on reading the content that is posted there. I feel they would be much better off reading actual content posted by members to decide if it is somewhere that they want their kid to spend a significant amount of time.

Aside from that, I think a parent thread could lead to foreseeable problems with content censorship on DDO. To appear "wholesome" to parents, controversial topics could be discouraged from being posted, while PMs could continue to contain vile and vulgar discussions, that parents would have no way of ever knowing about.

Thoughts?
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 1:42:10 AM
At 7/18/2016 1:16:50 AM, Hayd wrote:
http://giphy.com...

I don't get it! - the meme

Anyway, I was dreaming about what it could be like if parents joined DDO, and debated with their own kids about household chores and stuff, and maybe even their activity on this site. I can imagine kids calling out their parents for ad hominem attacks or strawmans and the like, and picking apart their arguments in front of an reading audience. Then many members would vote bomb in favor of the kids, (since they dominate the site) and parents would be forced to improve their reasoning and debating skills.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 1:52:07 AM
At the end of the day this is not something I am going to fight with people over. I have seen two threads (this decidedly being the more reasonable of the two) opposing the subject, and it's just not something worth fighting over.

If people have objections to it that's fine, but this is such a small matter I see zero value in making this a point of contention among the user base.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:02:24 AM
At 7/18/2016 1:52:07 AM, YYW wrote:
At the end of the day this is not something I am going to fight with people over. I have seen two threads (this decidedly being the more reasonable of the two) opposing the subject, and it's just not something worth fighting over.

If people have objections to it that's fine, but this is such a small matter I see zero value in making this a point of contention among the user base.

I actually lightened up on the subject, when I realized it either isn't going to happen, or if it did, parents would end up joining themselves, if only to pose questions on the parent thread themselves - lol.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:04:54 AM
At 7/18/2016 2:02:24 AM, Emmarie wrote:

I actually lightened up on the subject, when I realized it either isn't going to happen, or if it did, parents would end up joining themselves, if only to pose questions on the parent thread themselves - lol.

Maybe. Or they might try to verify what the thread said. Or they might try to email Airmax. Or any number of other things.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:23:02 AM

I agree. It wouldn't have a tremondous benefit, as it would realistically only apply to a few amount of people. So while I think that it proposes benefit with no cost, if everyone's gonna freak out about it, it's not a big deal, we don't *have* to do it
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:33:57 AM
At 7/18/2016 12:19:26 AM, Emmarie wrote:
A certain well known member would like airmax to sticky a thread to assure parents that this site is a safe place for their kids to "hang out." I am against the idea that assures parents of this because it may discourage parents for checking out the content of the site for themselves, and deciding based on their own findings. I am for the individual liberty of parents deciding what is in the best interest of their own kids, and I don't think that posting a parent thread that most likely would only highlight the positive aspects of the site, would be the best way for parents to decide for themselves based on reading the content that is posted there. I feel they would be much better off reading actual content posted by members to decide if it is somewhere that they want their kid to spend a significant amount of time.

Aside from that, I think a parent thread could lead to foreseeable problems with content censorship on DDO. To appear "wholesome" to parents, controversial topics could be discouraged from being posted, while PMs could continue to contain vile and vulgar discussions, that parents would have no way of ever knowing about.

Thoughts?

It's a bad idea because it isn't true. This is not a good site for kids.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:48:00 AM
At 7/18/2016 2:33:57 AM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:
At 7/18/2016 12:19:26 AM, Emmarie wrote:

Thoughts?

It's a bad idea because it isn't true. This is not a good site for kids.

I agree - and I had to "strike" many ways to squash the idea of promoting it. Ultimately it's up to individual parents to decide without needing a thread.