Jump to topic:

On the idea of a "Parent Thread"

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 12:37:51 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
BWHAAAAAHAAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(*catches breath*)

Ha.

---

Ok. The parent thread might be the most stupid fvcking idea I've ever heard of in my time here.

Don't accommodate a "demographic shift" by changing what you talk about either.

This is DDO. We debate. We ban people when things get PERSONALLY out of hand. Debating isn't something you ought to censor or, maybe even worse, warn people about.

If parents want to be immature sh!ts, don't feed into it. I have no respect for anyone who tries to stop their child from having debates because the topics of discussion can get edgy. No respect earned. No respect given.

I'm also not going to bullsh!t and say this is a great place for kids - it highly depends on what their minds can handle. So a parent thread is giving into generalizations on what teenagers can and can't talk handle - and legitimizing those taboos.

I say - fvck that.

Nobody is stopped from talking about the topics they want to. They're stopping themselves. If you want to have "adults" here, maybe it's time to break your own barriers and have "adult conversations". And who will complain? Probably adults.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 12:40:54 AM
At 7/18/2016 12:37:51 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
BWHAAAAAHAAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

(*catches breath*)

Ha.

---

Ok. The parent thread might be the most stupid fvcking idea I've ever heard of in my time here.
Thank you - I love the emotion you put into this! And I agree 100%!

This is DDO. We debate. We ban people when things get PERSONALLY out of hand. Debating isn't something you ought to censor or, maybe even worse, warn people about.

If parents want to be immature sh!ts, don't feed into it. I have no respect for anyone who tries to stop their child from having debates because the topics of discussion can get edgy. No respect earned. No respect given.

I'm also not going to bullsh!t and say this is a great place for kids - it highly depends on what their minds can handle. So a parent thread is giving into generalizations on what teenagers can and can't talk handle - and legitimizing those taboos.

I say - fvck that.

Nobody is stopped from talking about the topics they want to. They're stopping themselves. If you want to have "adults" here, maybe it's time to break your own barriers and have "adult conversations". And who will complain? Probably adults.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 1:15:38 AM

I don't think its the worst idea to have ever heard in my time here, so here I go.

(*catches breath*)

Ha.

---

I don't think we should change what we talk about at all. And this doesn't have to do with the parent thread since it doesn't suggest changing what we are talking about.

The parent thread wouldn't censor debating at all

I also have no respect from anyone who tries to stop their child from debating edgy topics. Its the most idiotic thing ever, and its annoying as fvck because my parents are that way. But having a parent thread isn't feeding it, in the sense that it would have any affect on whether a parent continued to be that way or not.

Thus, there's no negative actually coming from "feeding" this behavior. There's only positive coming out of this by allowing the kids from these parents (people like me) to a) be able to go on the site in the first place and contribute or b) be able to contribute *more* than they would be able to if they weren't allowed to go on or c) go on more than they would now that their parent is comfortable with and wants them to go on.

I say - fvck that.

Ikr, its so fvcked up.

The parent thread wouldn't stop people from talking about the topics they want to.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 1:18:18 AM
Now, I don't know if there should be a parent thread based on how many people on the site that have the problem that the thread would resolve. If its only like 5 people, then we shouldn't sticky it, its not worth it. But it its like, a lot of people then we should. Idk how to figure out how many people though...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 1:28:10 AM
At 7/18/2016 1:15:38 AM, Hayd wrote:

I don't think we should change what we talk about at all. And this doesn't have to do with the parent thread since it doesn't suggest changing what we are talking about.

I also have no respect from anyone who tries to stop their child from debating edgy topics. Its the most idiotic thing ever, and its annoying as fvck because my parents are that way. But having a parent thread isn't feeding it, in the sense that it would have any affect on whether a parent continued to be that way or not.

Thus, there's no negative actually coming from "feeding" this behavior. There's only positive coming out of this by allowing the kids from these parents (people like me) to a) be able to go on the site in the first place and contribute or b) be able to contribute *more* than they would be able to if they weren't allowed to go on or c) go on more than they would now that their parent is comfortable with and wants them to go on.

I say - fvck that.

Ikr, its so fvcked up.

The parent thread wouldn't stop people from talking about the topics they want to.

It's not "stopping" them from talking about it, per se, but the creation of a "parent thread" signifies a change in the site. The fact we're discussing making a parent thread shows we have edgy topics - but the answer to objectors is to say "grow up", not "all sunshine and happiness here". And since we have edgy topics, the creation of a parent thread acknowledges that some people object to such discussions. Acknowledging an unreasonable position only gives it legitimacy, and that's the negativity of "feeding into it".

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 1:33:39 AM
At 7/18/2016 1:28:10 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

It's not "stopping" them from talking about it, per se, but the creation of a "parent thread" signifies a change in the site. The fact we're discussing making a parent thread shows we have edgy topics - but the answer to objectors is to say "grow up", not "all sunshine and happiness here". And since we have edgy topics, the creation of a parent thread acknowledges that some people object to such discussions. Acknowledging an unreasonable position only gives it legitimacy, and that's the negativity of "feeding into it".

Well put, articulate and strait to the point!
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 1:34:01 AM

This place just isn't for kids to begin with. There's too much "toxic" and outrageous behavior on here by users, which exemplifies the worst parts of the internet. The problem is that this: "This is DDO. We debate. We ban people when things get PERSONALLY out of hand. Debating isn't something you ought to censor or, maybe even worse, warn people about" doesn't happen. People aren't "banned" that "easily". And I say easily since the standards are so low that the only way to even get a temp ban is to commit a crime against the site multiple times in quick succession. And "warnings" do nothing.
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 1:39:51 AM

I say - fvck that.

Ikr, its so fvcked up.

I don't see it as signifying a change in edginess, or fighting or whatever. The only change it shows is in age demographics, which doesn't relate to what youre saying.

I was thinking of the thread instead of downplaying the edginess would seek to explain that it is no less than you will see at any school, or in real life. The parent thread wouldn't go to downplay, any of the edgy topics or debates. Obviously, it might clarify that as long as you don't engage in edgy kinds of discussion you won't get anything edgy back. But idk if the thing would actually say that

I agree with you that acknowledging it gives it legitimacy but I don't feel thats a price to pay as whether the parent's feel its legitimate or not won't effect their position at all. Thus legitimacy doesn't really have any material effect, except in your mind. But you obviously don't think its legitimate thus its negated.

I'm not sold on the thread because I don't know of how much benefit it will actually have. Why sticky a thread relating to 5 people on the site? Its obviously something that needs to be discussed, but the reasons that people against it are bringing up are not the right reasons. Thats why I'm arguing for it
SJM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 1:43:06 AM
At 7/18/2016 1:39:51 AM, Hayd wrote:

I say - fvck that.

Ikr, its so fvcked up.

I don't see it as signifying a change in edginess, or fighting or whatever. The only change it shows is in age demographics, which doesn't relate to what youre saying.

I was thinking of the thread instead of downplaying the edginess would seek to explain that it is no less than you will see at any school, or in real life. The parent thread wouldn't go to downplay, any of the edgy topics or debates. Obviously, it might clarify that as long as you don't engage in edgy kinds of discussion you won't get anything edgy back. But idk if the thing would actually say that

I agree with you that acknowledging it gives it legitimacy but I don't feel thats a price to pay as whether the parent's feel its legitimate or not won't effect their position at all. Thus legitimacy doesn't really have any material effect, except in your mind. But you obviously don't think its legitimate thus its negated.

I'm not sold on the thread because I don't know of how much benefit it will actually have. Why sticky a thread relating to 5 people on the site? Its obviously something that needs to be discussed, but the reasons that people against it are bringing up are not the right reasons. Thats why I'm arguing for it

Just go with the flow.
Hitler- If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.

Stalin- Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.

Machiavelli- It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both.

Ivan the Terrible- "I will not see the destruction of the Christian converts who are loyal to me, and to my last breath I will fight for the Orthodox faith
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 1:45:37 AM
At 7/18/2016 1:34:01 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

This place just isn't for kids to begin with. There's too much "toxic" and outrageous behavior on here by users, which exemplifies the worst parts of the internet. The problem is that this: "This is DDO. We debate. We ban people when things get PERSONALLY out of hand. Debating isn't something you ought to censor or, maybe even worse, warn people about" doesn't happen. People aren't "banned" that "easily". And I say easily since the standards are so low that the only way to even get a temp ban is to commit a crime against the site multiple times in quick succession. And "warnings" do nothing.

I sympathize with your view, but it doesn't prove me wrong in the least. "Getting out of hand" isn't making one bannable comment.

If I call you a cunt, and Max says if I call anyone a cunt again, I'll get banned - and I call someone a cunt within a reasonable time frame of that warning, I'll get banned. There, my conduct is out of line and I refused to listen to warnings.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 1:47:15 AM
This is a very poorly written thread, which tends to ramble incoherently while expressing an unreasonable perspective.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:06:28 AM

It does signify a change deeper than that. If we need to "keep the young'uns in mind" then we will subconsciously change our approaches to the site.

That's stupid. Then we're inviting parents (unintentionally, maybe) to check their kids' DDO accounts to make sure they aren't going into those edgy subjects.

But a thread legitimizes their concerns in their mind. They may have those concerns regardless, but it only serves to further their thought process that there had to be other concerned parents, and thus the site must have a reason to address it - signifying something is questionable to begin with.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:07:16 AM
At 7/18/2016 2:06:28 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

It does signify a change deeper than that. If we need to "keep the young'uns in mind" then we will subconsciously change our approaches to the site.

That's stupid. Then we're inviting parents (unintentionally, maybe) to check their kids' DDO accounts to make sure they aren't going into those edgy subjects.

But a thread legitimizes their concerns in their mind. They may have those concerns regardless, but it only serves to further their thought process that there had to be other concerned parents, and thus the site must have a reason to address it - signifying something is questionable to begin with.

Calm down. Good grief you're being unreasonable.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:09:42 AM
At 7/18/2016 2:07:16 AM, YYW wrote:

You know, it's not the best way to calm someone down by telling them they're unreasonable.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:11:34 AM
At 7/18/2016 2:09:42 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

You know, it's not the best way to calm someone down by telling them they're unreasonable.

I think you're a pretty reasonable person, on balance. So, I would think that you would probably be amenable to being alerted to the fact that this thread... I don't frankly even know what to make of it.

This is such a trivial issue. Why make a fight?
Tsar of DDO
SJM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:12:19 AM
*Gets popcorn*
Hitler- If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough, it will be believed.

Stalin- Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.

Ivan the Terrible- "I will not see the destruction of the Christian converts who are loyal to me, and to my last breath I will fight for the Orthodox faith
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:12:52 AM
At 7/18/2016 2:11:34 AM, YYW wrote:

I think you're a pretty reasonable person, on balance. So, I would think that you would probably be amenable to being alerted to the fact that this thread... I don't frankly even know what to make of it.

There is discussion on it, and I think it's a stupid concept. So, I wanted to express my view that it is a stupid concept with unnecessary side effects on behavior.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:13:42 AM
At 7/18/2016 2:12:52 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

There is discussion on it, and I think it's a stupid concept. So, I wanted to express my view that it is a stupid concept with unnecessary side effects on behavior.

Expressing your perspective is fine. No one is saying you can't do that. But this... this was a thread meant to mock.

Why go that far?
Tsar of DDO
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:14:31 AM
At 7/18/2016 1:43:06 AM, SJM wrote:

I say - fvck that.

Ikr, its so fvcked up.

Just go with the flow.

I know bro
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:15:58 AM
At 7/18/2016 2:13:42 AM, YYW wrote:

Expressing your perspective is fine. No one is saying you can't do that. But this... this was a thread meant to mock.

Why go that far?

Because concepts that work towards legitimizing concerns and views I find worthy of contempt is worthy of contempt by association.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:17:20 AM
At 7/18/2016 2:15:58 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Why go that far?

Because concepts that work towards legitimizing concerns and views I find worthy of contempt is worthy of contempt by association.

Ok, so why is this worthy of contempt?
Tsar of DDO
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:17:36 AM

I don't think anyone should keep the younguns in mind when they say stuff. Obviously there's stuff you don't say, and that's especially true to say for children, but its stuff you just don't say regardless. So that isn't really relevent, and doesn't have tot do with the parent thread since its purpose isn;t to keep the younguns in mind

"Although there may be heated arguments, these are an inherent result of discussing issues that people are passionate about. Obviously, obscenaties come out during these exchanges, but they are nothing over the top, nor anything more than a child would hear in school." That doesn't really invite them to snoop

Thats a good point
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:23:41 AM
At 7/18/2016 2:17:20 AM, YYW wrote:
At 7/18/2016 2:15:58 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Why go that far?

Ok, so why is this worthy of contempt?

Because it implies that we accommodate children (and that's what parents expect their teenagers to be) when we absolutely don't. And if we do police our tone out of concern for nonexistent children, then we should stop doing that.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:26:00 AM
At 7/18/2016 2:17:36 AM, Hayd wrote:

"Although there may be heated arguments, these are an inherent result of discussing issues that people are passionate about. Obviously, obscenaties come out during these exchanges, but they are nothing over the top, nor anything more than a child would hear in school." That doesn't really invite them to snoop

And many, many parents seek to shelter their children in religious schools and homeschooling. You think they (because it's usually people like them that have a problem) are going to be convinced by that?

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:30:34 AM
At 7/18/2016 2:26:00 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

And many, many parents seek to shelter their children in religious schools and homeschooling. You think they (because it's usually people like them that have a problem) are going to be convinced by that?

Meh, it would *help* to sway my parents at least. I don't think that solely would sway them, but it would definitely help.
SJM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:32:01 AM
I can't wait for my parents to come home.

SJM
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:32:27 AM
At 7/18/2016 2:32:01 AM, SJM wrote:
I can't wait for my parents to come home.

It usually doesn't take years to get groceries.

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:37:49 AM
At 7/18/2016 2:30:34 AM, Hayd wrote:

Meh, it would *help* to sway my parents at least. I don't think that solely would sway them, but it would definitely help.

If someone's parents really feels the need to be d!cks, their children should tell them to talk to Airmax.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 2:39:13 AM
At 7/18/2016 2:37:49 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

If someone's parents really feels the need to be d!cks, their children should tell them to talk to Airmax.

Thats reasonable. But it doesn't deal with the people who want to join DDO but their parents won't let them
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 3:00:13 AM
At 7/18/2016 2:39:13 AM, Hayd wrote:
At 7/18/2016 2:37:49 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Thats reasonable. But it doesn't deal with the people who want to join DDO but their parents won't let them

My advice to teenagers with unreasonable parents is this: don't tell your parents that you're on any website.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King