Important: Personal Outreach program

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 4:26:31 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Intro

I am asking the community members to help me in creating a program that can help members who are having issues in their lives that trouble them to the point that they want help.

Many people in the world want help with their issues, but don't reach out to anyone because they don't know who to go to - or if they do, they may be too fearful to approach those people for help. People on DDO are no different in this respect.

The program

This program is very simple in design. Those who sign up will be listed in a thread posted to the personal forum every week. The thread will be a message to passerby that there are people on this site that genuinely care about others here, and are available to help them with an issue, or help them get through a tough night. And while the program will be simple in design, it may be the most useful program on DDO if enough people sign up to help.

I've been helped by a few DDO members throughout my time here, and I've occasionally gotten messages of support from others along the way. I appreciate each one of them - and from them I know that we can do a lot for people who don't know what to do during a time of emotional need.

Warning:

I would be remiss if I didn't give a warning of what signing up may entail. The problems of people can range from a persistent bother to outright disturbing and graphic. People on the internet can also be a$sholes. Therefore:

If you are easily bothered by disturbing issues to the point that you may be negatively affected for more than a short period of time, be warned that this may not be for you. This is different from concern, which is probably expected - and is definitely normal.

If trolling on sensitive issues disturbs you, be warned you may come across this if you sign up.

If you are strongly judgemental, this program is not for you. It may only serve to frustrate you and hurt the other person more.

Those are the only warnings I thought of. If anyone thinks of any others, let me know.

Sign-up

Copy and paste this list. Add number spots if necessary.

"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Torton
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 4:32:13 AM
Probably not a good idea. If DDO were to do anything, it should be to refer people to those who are professionally trained to deal with things like that (therapists/psychiatrists/psychologists)
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 4:36:12 AM
At 7/18/2016 4:26:31 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Intro

I am asking the community members to help me in creating a program that can help members who are having issues in their lives that trouble them to the point that they want help.

Many people in the world want help with their issues, but don't reach out to anyone because they don't know who to go to - or if they do, they may be too fearful to approach those people for help. People on DDO are no different in this respect.

The program

This program is very simple in design. Those who sign up will be listed in a thread posted to the personal forum every week. The thread will be a message to passerby that there are people on this site that genuinely care about others here, and are available to help them with an issue, or help them get through a tough night. And while the program will be simple in design, it may be the most useful program on DDO if enough people sign up to help.

I've been helped by a few DDO members throughout my time here, and I've occasionally gotten messages of support from others along the way. I appreciate each one of them - and from them I know that we can do a lot for people who don't know what to do during a time of emotional need.

Warning:

I would be remiss if I didn't give a warning of what signing up may entail. The problems of people can range from a persistent bother to outright disturbing and graphic. People on the internet can also be a$sholes. Therefore:

If you are easily bothered by disturbing issues to the point that you may be negatively affected for more than a short period of time, be warned that this may not be for you. This is different from concern, which is probably expected - and is definitely normal.

If trolling on sensitive issues disturbs you, be warned you may come across this if you sign up.

If you are strongly judgemental, this program is not for you. It may only serve to frustrate you and hurt the other person more.

Those are the only warnings I thought of. If anyone thinks of any others, let me know.

Sign-up

This site isn't really the "best" for this...
Empress of DDO (also Poll and Forum "Maintenance" Moderator)

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Guide to the Polls Section: http://www.debate.org...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 4:37:37 AM
At 7/18/2016 4:32:13 AM, Torton wrote:
Probably not a good idea. If DDO were to do anything, it should be to refer people to those who are professionally trained to deal with things like that (therapists/psychiatrists/psychologists)

You could argue that. But many people don't have good access to those kinds of people. And, if they do, conversing with other members could help them try to get that sort of help.

Regardless, I think most therapists and psychologists and psychiatrists are useless.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 4:40:10 AM
At 7/18/2016 4:36:12 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

I'd say it is one of the best I can think of. There's a lot of people here who have had elongated negative periods of their lives and know what it is like to have such negative states of mind. Those people are great help to others. Then, DDO is a close community, which makes the conversation much more personal than elsewhere.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 4:41:10 AM
At 7/18/2016 4:40:10 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

I'd say it is one of the best I can think of. There's a lot of people here who have had elongated negative periods of their lives and know what it is like to have such negative states of mind. Those people are great help to others. Then, DDO is a close community, which makes the conversation much more personal than elsewhere.

But there's also a lot of horrible people and Machiavellists.

"The two most important days in your life is the day you were born, and the day you find out why."
~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it."
~Abraham Lincoln

Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 4:43:10 AM
Intro

I realize that your intentions are good, and that you only want to do something that is helpful to members that you care about, but I have to agree with the other posters on this thread, that this isn't the purpose of this website, and untrained individuals could actually worsen the problems that members with serious issues are facing. I'd recommend genuine friendships could be the most beneficial thing you can do to help others. An official program like this could also run into legal ramifications, if an untrained individual were to provide counseling services without licensing.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 4:44:01 AM
At 7/18/2016 4:41:10 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

And...are those people the ones positioned to help others in this program?

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 4:45:32 AM
At 7/18/2016 4:44:01 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

You're the only person so far...

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 4:46:28 AM
At 7/18/2016 4:43:10 AM, Emmarie wrote:
Intro

I realize that your intentions are good, and that you only want to do something that is helpful to members that you care about, but I have to agree with the other posters on this thread, that this isn't the purpose of this website, and untrained individuals could actually worsen the problems that members with serious issues are facing. I'd recommend genuine friendships could be the most beneficial thing you can do to help others. An official program like this could also run into legal ramifications, if an untrained individual were to provide counseling services without licensing.

It's not being posited as a counseling service. It's a short term outreach program for those who don't have access to "professionals". A counseling service is a long term paid relationship.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 4:47:15 AM
At 7/18/2016 4:45:32 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 4:47:33 AM
At 7/18/2016 4:47:15 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

That's not what I meant -.-

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 4:49:36 AM
At 7/18/2016 4:47:33 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Thanks anyway.

You know, you've offered emotional help to me on a couple occasions. Should you stop trying to help because this is an awful place?

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 4:51:52 AM
At 7/18/2016 4:49:36 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Thanks anyway.

You know, you've offered emotional help to me on a couple occasions. Should you stop trying to help because this is an awful place?

What I'm saying is that there is a lot of hostility in this place and there should be efforts to make it a more safe and accepting place, and then you can have personal outreach. You'll end up finding yourself having people who come here already in pain, and then "hurt" by the site and then that becomes the subject of the outreach. And of course those who sign up should be screened.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 4:53:59 AM
At 7/18/2016 4:51:52 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Thanks anyway.

What I'm saying is that there is a lot of hostility in this place and there should be efforts to make it a more safe and accepting place, and then you can have personal outreach. You'll end up finding yourself having people who come here already in pain, and then "hurt" by the site and then that becomes the subject of the outreach.

We've all (or, nearly all) been there: makes it much easier to help with.

And of course those who sign up should be screened.

You think I'm an idiot?

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 4:55:29 AM
At 7/18/2016 4:53:59 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:

Thanks anyway.

What I'm saying is that there is a lot of hostility in this place and there should be efforts to make it a more safe and accepting place, and then you can have personal outreach. You'll end up finding yourself having people who come here already in pain, and then "hurt" by the site and then that becomes the subject of the outreach.

If that's what you think is best...

You think I'm an idiot?

Of course not.

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 4:57:33 AM
An official program like this could also run into legal ramifications, if an untrained individual were to provide counseling services without licensing.

I've heard this concern before, by the way. And it's entirely unjustified. Internet forums have been created for the sole purpose of mental health support from other members of the forum.

http://forums.psychcentral.com...

At the bottom, it says:

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.
Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.

As far as I'm concerned, that forum is still very much in operation and is rather active. There aren't mental health professionals, it's just the experiences of people and people willing to help those with similar issues.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 4:58:15 AM
At 7/18/2016 4:55:29 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Thanks anyway.

You think I'm an idiot?

Of course not.

Then we have no further issue.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
PetersSmith
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 4:58:41 AM
At 7/18/2016 4:58:15 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
At 7/18/2016 4:55:29 AM, PetersSmith wrote:

Thanks anyway.

You think I'm an idiot?

Of course not.

Then we have no further issue.

Okay

~Mark Twain

"Wow"
-Doge

~Abraham Lincoln

Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 5:09:32 AM
At 7/18/2016 4:57:33 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
An official program like this could also run into legal ramifications, if an untrained individual were to provide counseling services without licensing.

I've heard this concern before, by the way. And it's entirely unjustified. Internet forums have been created for the sole purpose of mental health support from other members of the forum.

http://forums.psychcentral.com...

At the bottom, it says:

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.
Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.

As far as I'm concerned, that forum is still very much in operation and is rather active. There aren't mental health professionals, it's just the experiences of people and people willing to help those with similar issues.
Maybe you should just start a friendship club or something of that nature. I just don't think DDO is suitable for crisis intervention - other than for friends to reach out or inform friends when a member seems troubled.
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 5:13:12 AM
At 7/18/2016 5:09:32 AM, Emmarie wrote:
At 7/18/2016 4:57:33 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
Maybe you should just start a friendship club or something of that nature. I just don't think DDO is suitable for crisis intervention - other than for friends to reach out or inform friends when a member seems troubled.

I agree it's not the purpose of the site, but we can still do it anyway. And some members don't have friends that are that close to them - especially newer and lower profile members. I didn't have any friends here for a while after I started using the site. Sometimes people just need to be told that there *are* others who care enough to listen to their problems that they think are unique to them. For members without good support groups, this may be helpful.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
Death23
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 5:28:35 AM
Intro

The program

Warning:

Sign-up

I volunteer. I like to help people. Though, I would restrict any help to the form of written communications via email or chat. I would not provide it through site PMs for privacy reasons.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 5:36:19 AM
I'd be interested.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 5:46:10 AM
1. Lannan13

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 8:32:01 AM
At 7/18/2016 5:28:35 AM, Death23 wrote:
I volunteer. I like to help people. Though, I would restrict any help to the form of written communications via email or chat. I would not provide it through site PMs for privacy reasons.

It would be difficult to accommodate that. It would raise a lot of issues that are avoided with PMs.

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
missbailey8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 8:47:05 AM
At 7/18/2016 5:46:10 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
1. Lannan13
2. missbailey8
~missbailey8~

Me: What is the weirdest thing I have ever done?
Solon: Agreeing to date me.

Skep: Bailey, you have sardonic written all over your face.
Annie: She has gorgeous written all over her face!

"[M]en are weak. All of us are weak."
-Fatihah

If you ever just want someone to vent, rant, or discuss anything troubling you, my PMs are always open. Have a fabulous day!

The Clown Queen of DDO
Kreakin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 12:19:12 PM
It sounds like what you are proposing is a peer support team, this would be a great thing to do.

It differs from offering advice or professional help, it is a reciprocal approach on an adult-adult equal basis.

It serves to share experiences both ways with no one taking a higher role but both people benefiting from sharing experiences.

No side offers information on services or therapy. In a way it is what people already do in the personal forum.

If it is run like this I'm happy to add my name to the list to keep an eye on the personal forum.
I would have some issues about confidentiality however, this is a public forum after all, so I believe peer supporters need not know about anyone's conditions or diagnosis, in fact it should be declined if offered and certainly not asked about.
It is unnecessary to perform the role.
Adam_Godzilla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 3:40:59 PM
At 7/18/2016 8:47:05 AM, missbailey8 wrote:
At 7/18/2016 5:46:10 AM, 1harderthanyouthink wrote:
1. Lannan13
2. missbailey8
3. Adam_Godzilla

The other posters are correct, such a program is risky, especially when the person who needs help expect help. I'm already trying to do what this program advocates, but I'll sign up anyway.

I hope this program expands to include the entire community... someday. I hope as a community, we're automatically inclined to help others. So far, it's looking good.

Thanks Chris for this.
New episode of OUTSIDERS: http://www.debate.org...
Episode 4 - They walk among us
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 4:21:34 PM
At 7/18/2016 4:32:13 AM, Torton wrote:

Obviously the program would do that as well. It would be ludicrous to not suggest seeking proffessional help. Helping the person inherently results in suggesting proffessional help, its a given.

But the reason why this doesn't have to do with the program is that if the person in question is having problems, and we find out about it, the person has obvioulsy already thought about and considered seeking proffessional help. If they haven't already sought it, obviously we can encourage it, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they *will* seek it. Thus, since we can't ensure that they will seek help, and its unlikely that they will since they haven't already, having someone caring on DDO help them is better than nothing. So this isn't really an issue
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/18/2016 4:27:38 PM

Giving someone kindness and consolation cannot worsen the problems the person is facing. The people would encourage the person in question seeking proffessional help obviously, if they think it would be beneficial for the person, but having some help is better than none. And the only way that it could make the situation worse is if the helper was intentionally was trying to make the situation worse, of whom would obvioulsy not be let into the program. The helper in the program would obvioulsy not try to psychologically diagnosis and cure the person's problem. But merely words of encouragement, kindness, just hearing the person out. All of which would cause no harm and only good.

And lol it being illegal