Posted: 5 years ago
1. Create a mafia forum and subforums:

Mafia (Forum)
---->Havenwood Mafia (Subforum)
------------>Day Phase 1
------------>Day Phase 2
------------>Day Phase 3
etc.

2. Create a special class of mafia mods who have this ability only within the mafia forum:

i. lock their day phases
ii. lock their game subforums
iii. enter after-game statistics that are entered into the sites database.
iv. silence users from posting in their game if someone decides to randomly spam this mafia game

3. Create a sidebar in each mafia subforum that would contain the following:

i. A leaderboard that aggregates statistics from the subforums
ii. A list of links that direct the user to a wikimedia page that is run by the community.

4. Alias Feature

When posting in games forum users have the ability to change their username/profile picture when they are not active in a game. Post count will be hid.

This way:

Before Change - TheLwerd 132432 posts
After - Don
Game 1 - Don (secretly thelwerd)
Break - Fred (secretly theLwerd)
Game 2 - Fred

Game posts - user names will not change when they have been posted.

This way if TheLwerd as above posts under the alias of Don,
then when she changes her username i between game 1 and 2, all of her Game 1 posts will say "Don" even after she has changed her alias to Fred.

This way users can be anonymous when playing games if they wish.

Users are not allowed to change their usernames in mid-game.

5. Sponsor the mafia wiki and link it to the site next to forums.

Also create a separate link for mafia games that includes recent/all games and side menus for the day phases.

Example:

Mafia Wiki

----> How to Play

----> Leaderboard

----->Player List

Active Mafia Games

----->Havenwood
----------->Day Phase 1
----------->Day Phase 2
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 1:08:18 AM
that sounds great, but it also sounds like a lot of work for the owners. I don't know how much time they want to invest in here. I guess I might still be in the "Phil" mind-set.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
wamba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 1:09:56 AM
At 12/25/2010 1:08:18 AM, OreEle wrote:
that sounds great, but it also sounds like a lot of work for the owners. I don't know how much time they want to invest in here. I guess I might still be in the "Phil" mind-set.

It's more of a wish list than anything sort of a: "If I had unlimited time, money, and coding powers, as well of a wonderful working knowledge of how to do all these things and I wanted to improve the mafia games on this site and please the entire user base, here is what I'd do"

Please post further suggestions/critiques of making my proposals better.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 1:13:14 AM
At 12/25/2010 1:09:56 AM, wamba wrote:
At 12/25/2010 1:08:18 AM, OreEle wrote:

It's more of a wish list than anything sort of a: "If I had unlimited time, money, and coding powers, as well of a wonderful working knowledge of how to do all these things and I wanted to improve the mafia games on this site and please the entire user base, here is what I'd do"

Please post further suggestions/critiques of making my proposals better.

Make the alias optional, by the person modding that particular game. I personally would not like that feature for my games, but think it would be great for others. I also see some sneaky tactics that it allows (people can be on, without everyone else knowing that they are on, so when we are pressuring for a claim or something).
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 1:20:13 AM
Creating a sub-forum for each game sounds like a bit much. It would be similar to Mafiascum where topics and the like are editable and each game takes place in only one thread, with the title changed to signify phases and the OP is edited periodically to include landmark links to specific places in the thread.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 1:20:49 AM
At 12/25/2010 1:20:13 AM, Korashk wrote:
Creating a sub-forum for each game sounds like a bit much. It could be similar to Mafiascum where topics and the like are editable and each game takes place in only one thread, with the title changed to signify phases and the OP is edited periodically to include landmark links to specific places in the thread.

Edit
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
wamba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 1:24:38 AM
At 12/25/2010 1:13:14 AM, OreEle wrote:
Make the alias optional, by the person modding that particular game. I personally would not like that feature for my games, but think it would be great for others. I also see some sneaky tactics that it allows (people can be on, without everyone else knowing that they are on, so when we are pressuring for a claim or something).

I personally think it should not be optional by the mod, but be optional by the player. Many players are targeted early on due to their experience by the mafia. Of course it allows someone to be on and not respond. That's what forum mafia is. The ability to constantly check when a user is/isn't on ruins the game. But that is definitely a point to discuss.
wamba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 1:26:12 AM
At 12/25/2010 1:20:13 AM, Korashk wrote:
Creating a sub-forum for each game sounds like a bit much. It would be similar to Mafiascum where topics and the like are editable and each game takes place in only one thread, with the title changed to signify phases and the OP is edited periodically to include landmark links to specific places in the thread.

Not really when you consider the amount of posts per day phase. I mean for large games especially that's tons upon tons of posts. Splitting it up makes it easier to sort through.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 1:32:06 AM
At 12/25/2010 1:24:38 AM, wamba wrote:

I personally think it should not be optional by the mod, but be optional by the player. Many players are targeted early on due to their experience by the mafia. Of course it allows someone to be on and not respond. That's what forum mafia is. The ability to constantly check when a user is/isn't on ruins the game. But that is definitely a point to discuss.

It then only works if everyone does it. If only 2 players change their names, then it is obvious to the rest who they are. I would also find it harder to remember who said what. It is easier to remember "Lwerd said 'bla bla bla'" then it is to remember "freddie said 'bla bla bla'".
wamba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 1:36:01 AM
At 12/25/2010 1:32:06 AM, OreEle wrote:

It then only works if everyone does it. If only 2 players change their names, then it is obvious to the rest who they are. I would also find it harder to remember who said what. It is easier to remember "Lwerd said 'bla bla bla'" then it is to remember "freddie said 'bla bla bla'".

The user would sign up for the game using their alias therefore no one including the mod would know who that person was.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 1:48:47 AM
I also think the alias idea is a bad one. How many people would do it? I'm inclined to think not many; I wouldn't. OreEle's point does stand though. Even if someone does it totally anonymously people are going to notice when a complete newb is a good player.
wamba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 1:57:40 AM
At 12/25/2010 1:48:47 AM, Korashk wrote:
I also think the alias idea is a bad one. How many people would do it? I'm inclined to think not many; I wouldn't. OreEle's point does stand though. Even if someone does it totally anonymously people are going to notice when a complete newb is a good player.

A "good" player is subjective and it will give many "good" players the option of faking being a noob. Furthermore I would be inclined to think that most players would opt to be anonymous as play styles are picked up by the more experienced players.
Johnicle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 2:07:50 AM
It seems the primary focus of the new owners is to enhance the debating experience. I for one enjoy playing the mafia games on occasion but I do miss the old emphasis placed on debating from versions 1 and 2. All I'm saying is that they might move some of the more forum related issues lower in the priority list.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 1:13:13 PM
At 12/25/2010 1:06:31 AM, wamba wrote:
1. Create a mafia forum and subforums:

Yes.

2. Create a special class of mafia mods who have this ability only within the mafia forum:

i. lock their day phases
ii. lock their game subforums

Yes.

iii. enter after-game statistics that are entered into the sites database.

This may be a challenge. Preferable, but if not practical in the long run then leave it.

iv. silence users from posting in their game if someone decides to randomly spam this mafia game

This should be extremely flexible due to players dying and replacements. Per sub-forum, perhaps.

3. Create a sidebar in each mafia subforum that would contain the following:

i. A leaderboard that aggregates statistics from the subforums

Just a brief one, without any information other than their position and score.

ii. A list of links that direct the user to a wikimedia page that is run by the community.

Based on current roles in that game, perhaps. Like if people repeatedly mentions a silencer, links on the silencer will come up.

4. Alias Feature

When posting in games forum users have the ability to change their username/profile picture when they are not active in a game. Post count will be hid.

This way:

Before Change - TheLwerd 132432 posts
After - Don
Game 1 - Don (secretly thelwerd)
Break - Fred (secretly theLwerd)
Game 2 - Fred

Game posts - user names will not change when they have been posted.

This way if TheLwerd as above posts under the alias of Don,
then when she changes her username i between game 1 and 2, all of her Game 1 posts will say "Don" even after she has changed her alias to Fred.

This way users can be anonymous when playing games if they wish.

Users are not allowed to change their usernames in mid-game.

No, I strongly disagree with this. The idea of Mafia is that players are culpable to their posts and actions. This removes that completely. With alias' a player can immediately avoid their actions. Or, the alternative is that it becomes useless with an active tabs on alias', which is easily achievable through the style of posting, style of gameplay and keeping track of when players disappear and alias appear, rendering their effect null and void.

5. Sponsor the mafia wiki and link it to the site next to forums.

Also create a separate link for mafia games that includes recent/all games and side menus for the day phases.

Example:

Mafia Wiki

----> How to Play

----> Leaderboard

----->Player List

Active Mafia Games

----->Havenwood
----------->Day Phase 1
----------->Day Phase 2

Yes. I'm more than willing to volunteer item for this.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 1:38:29 PM
At 12/25/2010 1:36:01 AM, wamba wrote:
At 12/25/2010 1:32:06 AM, OreEle wrote:

The user would sign up for the game using their alias therefore no one including the mod would know who that person was.

How would players be assigned roles and turn in NP actions? Would the aliases extend to sending and receiving PMs? If that is the case, it seems that these aliases would be able to make their way out of the mafia and into other aspects of the site (including spamming, harassing, potentially vote bombing).
wamba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2010 3:52:05 PM
At 12/25/2010 1:38:29 PM, OreEle wrote:
How would players be assigned roles and turn in NP actions? Would the aliases extend to sending and receiving PMs? If that is the case, it seems that these aliases would be able to make their way out of the mafia and into other aspects of the site (including spamming, harassing, potentially vote bombing).

The aliases would extend to PMs.

Not voting.

And how would spamming and harassing be a problem? it already can be a problem and people can report the users. The owners will know which alias is which.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2010 7:05:23 PM
If subforums are to be developed, Economics should be put under Politics and Mafia should be put under Games.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
wamba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2010 10:05:14 PM
At 12/26/2010 7:05:23 PM, wjmelements wrote:
If subforums are to be developed, Economics should be put under Politics and Mafia should be put under Games.

As long as the individual mafia games have their own subforums then I'm for this.