Jump to topic:

Friend Sending Voting Should Be Banned

Maryland_Kid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 6:37:05 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
I hate it when people win debates by simply messaging or hanging around with people with agree with them, then tell the to vote on it for them, and then they win the debate. That's not fair and it should be changed.
The defender of Christianity, Calvinism, Creationism, and Conservative politics.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 6:40:38 PM
At 7/20/2016 6:37:05 PM, Maryland_Kid wrote:
I hate it when people win debates by simply messaging or hanging around with people with agree with them, then tell the to vote on it for them, and then they win the debate. That's not fair and it should be changed.

The vote moderation, as it sits now, will kick any vote without substantive reasoning. Just asking users to read votes can not be stopped.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 7:40:57 PM

If it is found that someone messaged someone specifically to vote for them then they can be punished with a ban, or have voting priveledges revoked, or something. So if you think people were doing this, then PM airmax about it
http://www.debate.org...
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 8:46:16 PM
At 7/20/2016 7:40:57 PM, Hayd wrote:

If it is found that someone messaged someone specifically to vote for them then they can be punished with a ban, or have voting priveledges revoked, or something. So if you think people were doing this, then PM airmax about it

I don't think there is any rule saying you can't pm someone - asking them to read and vote. Sure as hell is no way to stop it.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 8:49:24 PM
At 7/20/2016 8:46:16 PM, TBR wrote:

I don't think there is any rule saying you can't pm someone - asking them to read and vote. Sure as hell is no way to stop it.

You can ask someone to read and vote. But you can't ask someone to read and vote for you. So I couldn't PM you and say, "Hey, vote for me in this debate [link]". Airmax can look at people's PMs, and I've known people in the past that have gotten in trouble for it.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 9:15:22 PM
At 7/20/2016 8:49:24 PM, Hayd wrote:

You can ask someone to read and vote. But you can't ask someone to read and vote for you. So I couldn't PM you and say, "Hey, vote for me in this debate [link]". Airmax can look at people's PMs, and I've known people in the past that have gotten in trouble for it.

No, but you could ask someone to read and vote, but only send that message to people you know are predisposed to your side of the argument.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 9:20:32 PM
At 7/20/2016 9:15:22 PM, TheGreatAndPowerful wrote:

No, but you could ask someone to read and vote, but only send that message to people you know are predisposed to your side of the argument.

That's irrelevent because if someone votes because they are predisposed to your side of the argument, the only way this would affect the debate is if they vote for your side with tainted reasoning, which is usually picked up by moderation. Regardless, this is negated by the fact that the other opponent can do the same.
TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2016 9:25:59 PM
At 7/20/2016 9:20:32 PM, Hayd wrote:

That's irrelevent because if someone votes because they are predisposed to your side of the argument, the only way this would affect the debate is if they vote for your side with tainted reasoning, which is usually picked up by moderation. Regardless, this is negated by the fact that the other opponent can do the same.

This presumes there is a clearly objective way to vote debates. If that was the case no debates would ever be contested. We wouldn't need more than one judge.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 11:53:34 AM
There are 2 solutions to this.

1. Make your own friends and ask them to check out your debates.

2. Use the jury voting feature
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 3:59:57 PM
At 7/20/2016 9:20:32 PM, Hayd wrote:

Exactly. The vote mod takes care of the concern. The only real concern would be if you asked people to vote, they are your friends, they read and think you lost. They abstain rather than vote.
Ragnar
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 4:04:25 PM
At 7/21/2016 3:59:57 PM, TBR wrote:
Exactly. The vote mod takes care of the concern. The only real concern would be if you asked people to vote, they are your friends, they read and think you lost. They abstain rather than vote.

Yeah, we have some integrity-free members.
Unofficial DDO Guide: http://goo.gl...
(It's probably the best help resource here, other than talking to people...)

Voting Standards: https://goo.gl...

And please disable Smart-Quotes: https://goo.gl...