YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 5:23:12 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
Voting Thread: http://www.debate.org...

ABOLITION HAS WON

One week ago, members of this site were given the opportunity to decide whether the presidency would be continue on, as an office, or be abolished. In a referendum that became even more contentious than the office itself, the community had spoken.

Their decision was clear: ABOLISH the presidency.

On this day, and in this place, voting concluded roughly twenty minutes ago. When it concluded, one of the darkest chapters in site history closed. Tomorrow, a new day begins.
Tsar of DDO
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 5:32:34 AM
At 7/21/2016 5:23:12 AM, YYW wrote:

ABOLITION HAS WON

One week ago, members of this site were given the opportunity to decide whether the presidency would be continue on, as an office, or be abolished. In a referendum that became even more contentious than the office itself, the community had spoken.

On this day, and in this place, voting concluded roughly twenty minutes ago. When it concluded, one of the darkest chapters in site history closed. Tomorrow, a new day begins.

Wasn't it said multiple times, that this isn't the official result?
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 5:33:06 AM
At 7/21/2016 5:32:34 AM, Rosalie wrote:

ABOLITION HAS WON

I see my suspicions are confirmed.
Tsar of DDO
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 5:52:23 AM
It's technically not official, though there is currently no President.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 9:22:07 AM
With--47 votes to 30, as I count it--abolish has won. I don't think the margin was in anyway overwhelming, but the winner has been established.

Given this, I think we, for the sake of site tranquility, need to accept this result and move on for awhile. We can reassess in 3-6 months based on the condition of the site and where it appears to be going, but now, let's have a period of calm, president-free DDO. The drama will never end unless we experiment with abolitionism, and so this result has become necessary, at least temporarily.

Hopefully, abolitionism solves the problems that people have identified. I don't believe it will, but I could be wrong, and I recognize that possibility. I accept the result of 47-30 for abolishing, and I urge others to do so as well. Let's move on now as a community to focus on trying to generate good content, to bring ourselves together, and to enjoy DDO.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 10:20:22 AM

Wylted -- the elected president -- granted it legitimacy, so this is the official result.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 10:30:38 AM
At 7/21/2016 10:20:22 AM, tejretics wrote:

Wylted -- the elected president -- granted it legitimacy, so this is the official result.

I don't think that makes it official; only a moderator, I think, could have done that.

What I would say, though, is that we should just recognize the result as binding anyway, because not doing so would prolong the drama. We should accept the result of the vote, and collectively move on.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 10:32:01 AM
At 7/21/2016 10:30:38 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I don't think that makes it official; only a moderator, I think, could have done that.

No. The president has the power to abolish the presidency -- that's why the entirety of Imabench's campaign was legitimate.

What I would say, though, is that we should just recognize the result as binding anyway, because not doing so would prolong the drama. We should accept the result of the vote, and collectively move on.

I agree.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 10:36:18 AM
At 7/21/2016 10:32:01 AM, tejretics wrote:

No. The president has the power to abolish the presidency -- that's why the entirety of Imabench's campaign was legitimate.

I disagree. Only the voters have that power. Wylted can no more decree the site's institutions abolished than Obama can unilaterally suspend or amend the constitution. Presidents are confined by the institution, that was why a referendum was necessary for any change to be implemented.

I agree.

Cool.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 10:37:53 AM
At 7/21/2016 10:36:18 AM, bsh1 wrote:
I disagree. Only the voters have that power. Wylted can no more decree the site's institutions abolished than Obama can unilaterally suspend or amend the constitution. Presidents are confined by the institution, that was why a referendum was necessary for any change to be implemented.

Voters would indirectly have had the power had Wylted - or Imabench - abolished the presidency. Wylted promised a referendum before he won the election. Imabench promised abolition if he won. Airmax agreed that they could keep their promises.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 10:46:15 AM
At 7/21/2016 10:37:53 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 7/21/2016 10:36:18 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Voters would indirectly have had the power had Wylted - or Imabench - abolished the presidency. Wylted promised a referendum before he won the election. Imabench promised abolition if he won. Airmax agreed that they could keep their promises.

I think we may be misunderstanding each other to a degree. What I mean is that only a moderator can host an "official" election, because an election requires their acquiescence to move forward and because only they can do what is necessary to verify the vote counts and because, really, only they can host such an election impartially because they are the closest thing we have to an apolitical head of state.

I took your previous comment to mean that Wylted could unilaterally end the Presidency without a referendum. He could not do that for the reason I just mentioned. Bench was an interesting case, because if he had won in a head-to-head match up against DK, for example, it would have been--in effect--a referendum on the Presidency, bypassing the need for an explicit referendum on that kind. But the more candidates in the election, the more politically unfeasible I think Bench's implementing his ideas became, in the sense that his mandate would have been diminished without a clear majority.

But, ultimately, the voters spoke, which was what needed to happen. So, even if we disagree on hypothetical alternative mechanisms to abolish the Presidency, and the viability of those mechanisms, we can agree that the current referendum's results ought to be upheld as binding. So, let's leave it there.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

TheGreatAndPowerful
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 11:37:00 AM
At 7/21/2016 10:46:30 AM, Kreakin wrote:
Now were in the hands of the mods.

In other words: nothing has changed.
Kreakin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 11:39:56 AM
Maybe, we'll see. I suspect it will have an impact on mods attitude. Sure you'll disagree but time will tell.
DanneJeRusse
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 1:11:27 PM
At 7/21/2016 9:22:07 AM, bsh1 wrote:
With--47 votes to 30, as I count it--abolish has won. I don't think the margin was in anyway overwhelming, but the winner has been established.

Given this, I think we, for the sake of site tranquility, need to accept this result and move on for awhile. We can reassess in 3-6 months based on the condition of the site and where it appears to be going, but now, let's have a period of calm, president-free DDO. The drama will never end unless we experiment with abolitionism, and so this result has become necessary, at least temporarily.

Hopefully, abolitionism solves the problems that people have identified. I don't believe it will, but I could be wrong, and I recognize that possibility. I accept the result of 47-30 for abolishing, and I urge others to do so as well. Let's move on now as a community to focus on trying to generate good content, to bring ourselves together, and to enjoy DDO.

Obviously. 77 people do not speak for the 370K+ "community" on DDO, so you may want to review your poll such that it covers only the small handful of drama queens who obsess about the Presidency and themselves. Clearly, the actual community here could care less about your popularity contests.
Marrying a 6 year old and waiting until she reaches puberty and maturity before having consensual sex is better than walking up to
a stranger in a bar and proceeding to have relations with no valid proof of the intent of the person. Muhammad wins. ~ Fatihah
If they don't want to be killed then they have to subdue to the Islamic laws. - Uncung
Without God, you are lower than sh!t. ~ SpiritandTruth
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 1:33:05 PM
At 7/21/2016 1:11:27 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Obviously. 77 people do not speak for the 370K+ "community" on DDO, so you may want to review your poll such that it covers only the small handful of drama queens who obsess about the Presidency and themselves. Clearly, the actual community here could care less about your popularity contests.

77 sounds about the right number for the 'active' community.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 2:11:50 PM

ABOLITION HAS WON

1st thing . How great is the word ABOLITION.
I learnt this word from all this . And the true meaning.
Say it with me . Ready
Abolition
AB UH LISA UH.

And can I ask .
Now the presidency is what is .
What are the rules,?
Is there rules ? I've been here for 8 months . I never even thought there was so called rules
Because I'm constantly posting useless , random , bull crap.
Sometimes swearing, at people. And I've not seen no rules . Mods.

It's like someone isn't doing their job properly. Wich I probably shouldn't talk about
Are these Rules in one of the yellow post , things. ?

I need rules.
I feel like I need to be governed.
Or maybe just moderated a little.
I feel like I can call everyone a cunt.
Can I say cunt , I bet I can't.
I'll settle for a worded warning.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 3:11:13 PM
Well, it really didn't effect me in the first place, so I guess there's nothing bad about this. I stopped caring about it a long time ago.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 3:52:15 PM
At 7/21/2016 1:11:27 PM, DanneJeRusse wrote:

Well, 77 people sure do speak for the people interested in nonsense like site presidents.

Put another way, < 100 users have any interaction with the site that could conceivably know or care, so they are the governed.
TBR
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 3:57:48 PM

ABOLITION HAS WON

The site is still standing. No load of the fly's. OK.
Emmarie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 4:13:19 PM
At 7/21/2016 2:11:50 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

ABOLITION HAS WON

1st thing . How great is the word ABOLITION.
I learnt this word from all this . And the true meaning.
Say it with me . Ready
Abolition
AB UH LISA UH.
AB UH LISH UN

And can I ask .
Now the presidency is what is .
What are the rules,?
Is there rules ? I've been here for 8 months . I never even thought there was so called rules
Because I'm constantly posting useless , random , bull crap.
Sometimes swearing, at people. And I've not seen no rules . Mods.

It's like someone isn't doing their job properly. Wich I probably shouldn't talk about
Are these Rules in one of the yellow post , things. ?

I need rules.
I feel like I need to be governed.
Or maybe just moderated a little.
I feel like I can call everyone a cunt.
Can I say cunt , I bet I can't.
I'll settle for a worded warning.

Here's the thing Deb-8-A-Bull; your posts are usually meant in fun. They are light hearted and most users know your personality, so your offences probably don't get reported. Those of us who get into more serious disputes, may be more likely to be reported, if we continuously break the rules intentionally.

Are you saying that you'd feel like a more valuable member if another member reported you? I enjoy reading your "off the wall" posts, BTW.
https://www.youtube.com...
1harderthanyouthink
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 8:33:26 PM
At 7/21/2016 10:32:01 AM, tejretics wrote:

Airmax said that a President needs to run on Presidency or abolition. He would not have accepted Imabench acting like an actual President - so I do not think he would accept Wylted abolishing the Presidency. He would just run another election of Wylted abolished without this referendum.
"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here,
And I'm much obliged to you for making it clear - that I'm not here."

-Syd Barrett

DDO Risk King
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 9:03:34 PM
So is F-16 hiding in his panic bunker or is he just dead now?
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Juan_Pablo_4_hillary
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 9:33:22 PM

ABOLITION HAS WON

We still have a site moderator, so there will still be some order on DDO.
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 10:43:40 PM
At 7/21/2016 9:03:34 PM, imabench wrote:
So is F-16 hiding in his panic bunker or is he just dead now?

Really, I don't care.

I've read what other people have written here... and there is some really amusing argument about the details of why abolition won. That is, however, entirely beside the point.

The count is what it is. It is as official as it will ever be that the presidency is abolished. The people who are crying about non-existent technicalities... lol. At this point, I don't even care.

It is finished.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2016 10:44:30 PM
The hilarity of suggesting that some additional measures need to be taken before this is official...

I just can't even right now.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2016 10:39:50 PM
Some have asked what this result means, in light of the fact that some people on the site voted to elect Wylted as president. The answer to this question is simple, straightforward, and objectively obvious.

These events took place, in this order:

1. Wylted was elected president.
2. Wylted resigned.
3. The community by a majority of those who voted, and in circumstances where the entire community was given the opportunity to vote, abolished the presidency.

This means, clearly, that there is no president. The only president who was elected resigned, and then the site by a clear majority voted to abolish the position.

There is no "presidency" anymore. There is no "president" either.
Tsar of DDO
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/23/2016 12:47:50 AM
"The Presidency is Abolished" How will we be able to tell if it really is abolished.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%