Jump to topic:

How has DDO changed your life?

tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2016 11:16:13 AM
Posted: 4 months ago
DDO has significantly impacted my life -- my "real" life, that is -- in multiple ways. I'll explain some of the ways in which it impacted my life later in this thread.

Let's just say that if I hadn't joined DDO, I would be wearing very different clothes right now, and I would be typing in front of a very different computer.

So how has DDO changed your life?
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2016 11:44:18 AM
At 7/22/2016 11:16:13 AM, tejretics wrote:
DDO has significantly impacted my life -- my "real" life, that is -- in multiple ways. I'll explain some of the ways in which it impacted my life later in this thread.

Let's just say that if I hadn't joined DDO, I would be wearing very different clothes right now, and I would be typing in front of a very different computer.

It changed the way I think. It changed the way I learn. It changed the way that I actually argue, and debate. Once, in a debate tournament, I used Jargon, and people didn't understand me, and I didn't know that, so we in the end lost, lol. Before here, I didn't even know what an "abortion" was. But now I do. DDO had an impact in my life, good things and some bad things.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2016 12:10:02 PM

Now that's a story I'd like to hear lol

: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2016 1:10:27 PM

Whoa....how?
I suppose it's inspired me to study new things. Philosophy, science, and some political theory. It's also helped me get to reading somewhat *heavy* books, as I got use to complex arguments, complex books seemed less scary. And I suppose it makes me feel less socially isolated than I actually am.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2016 6:00:29 PM

Its made me far more cynical then I otherwise would have been due to how many idiots are on the site I can no longer run off the site
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
David_Debates
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2016 6:34:06 PM

Learned quite a bit about other opinions on issues that I agree or disagree with. Also, I've learned how to respectfully and properly tell someone that they are completely wrong.
RyuuKyuzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2016 8:22:17 PM
The people I've met tangentially through DDO have changed my life more than DDO has, itself. Even still, I'm a very different person now than I was when I fist joined, and DDO definitely played a significant role in that.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2016 8:51:53 PM
How has DDO changed your life? Not at all. Just something to look at and entertain myself for a couple of minutes a day. Kill time basically to avoid doing what I am supposed to be doing.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2016 8:59:54 PM
Before I joined, I had that mindset of "gotta act cool so they like me, and then I can become a well known member", and tried typing in a "professional manner". I soon realized that I was doing something wrong, as I just kinda sat there saying stuff that made me sound like a comical figure.

Once I realized how stupid that was, I became my regular self, and made some friends.

DDO helped me realize that trying to be something that people like is difficult, and it's easier to find those people by being my regular self, so it's definitely made me more comfortable and friendly when joining a new site or server.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2016 3:03:17 AM
At 7/22/2016 12:10:02 PM, Fkkize wrote:

Now that's a story I'd like to hear lol
+1
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:

Response to conservative views on deforestation:

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
johnlubba
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2016 10:21:03 AM

I can argue better, know how to structure an argument better, and learn't how to depend on valid sources.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2016 11:38:12 AM
On the one hand, it has helped me make friends I never would've before. I am also a better debater as a result, and I am thankful and appreciative for both of those things. On the other, it has made me a more bitter, depressed, and disillusioned individual who wonders whether people really care about each other to the extent they should.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
tajshar2k
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2016 12:02:03 PM

Yes for good and for bad.

Good in the sense, I'm more knowledgeable on various topics.

Bad in the sense, my focus at school was terrible last year, and some of my marks did slip.
"In Guns We Trust" Tajshar2k
MrVindication
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2016 5:13:29 PM

Well, first I'd like to note my evolution on DDO. A year and a half ago, I was this person: http://www.debate.org... . I still cringe at my earliest debates. Somewhere along the way, I took a 3-4 month break, I still don't know why. Then I started getting into debating, learning argumentation, and enjoying the ability to hold intellectual discourse with *almost* everyone on this site.

In real life, because of DDO, I have started reading books I would never have before, books on political theory, philosophy, and economics. I subscribed to publications such as National Geographic, The Economist, and Foreign Affairs. I signed up for debate at my school, which will start in about a month. Because of this, I have broadened my vocabulary, greatly enhanced my ability to debate, learned more about the world that I could ever imagine, and became a foreign policy aficionado.

All in all, DDO has been a great experience for me, and I hope it stays that way.
MrVindication
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2016 5:24:49 PM
At 7/24/2016 5:13:29 PM, MrVindication wrote:

Well, first I'd like to note my evolution on DDO. A year and a half ago, I was this person: http://www.debate.org... . I still cringe at my earliest debates. Somewhere along the way, I took a 3-4 month break, I still don't know why. Then I started getting into debating, learning argumentation, and enjoying the ability to hold intellectual discourse with *almost* everyone on this site.

In real life, because of DDO, I have started reading books I would never have before, books on political theory, philosophy, and economics. I subscribed to publications such as National Geographic, The Economist, and Foreign Affairs. I signed up for debate at my school, which will start in about a month. Because of this, I have broadened my vocabulary, greatly enhanced my ability to debate, learned more about the world that I could ever imagine, and became a foreign policy aficionado.

All in all, DDO has been a great experience for me, and I hope it stays that way.

*than I could ever imagine
Subutai
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2016 10:06:44 PM

Well DDO is directly responsible for the ideological journey I've been on for the entire time I've been on it.
I'm becoming less defined as days go by, fading away, and well you might say, I'm losing focus, kinda drifting into the abstract in terms of how I see myself.
Skepsikyma
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/24/2016 10:12:12 PM

I drink more.
"The Collectivist experiment is thoroughly suited (in appearance at least) to the Capitalist society which it proposes to replace. It works with the existing machinery of Capitalism, talks and thinks in the existing terms of Capitalism, appeals to just those appetites which Capitalism has aroused, and ridicules as fantastic and unheard-of just those things in society the memory of which Capitalism has killed among men wherever the blight of it has spread."
- Hilaire Belloc -