Total Posts:2|Showing Posts:1-2
Jump to topic:

How to fulfill the burden of proof?

Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 1:56:20 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
I'm trying to become a better debater. One common failure I have is fulfilling the burden of proof. A lot of times a voter will state that neither side fulfilled their burden of proof.

So, even if the one side posts nothing, I still shouldn't get the argument point, because I ultimately failed to fulfill my burden of proof. Feels dumb when the debate is a stalemate despite the opponent not making any relevant claims. Anyone got any advice?

Here's an imaginary debate with only one round which illustrates why sometimes the person making the affirmative claim often fails to win.

Topic: Unicorns exist.

I think it is very likely that unicorns exist for reasons A,B, and C. Here is links x,y, and z to back up my statements. Impact, I have shown evidence that unicorns might exist.

Con. Hahhaha I am a troll.

End debate.

At this point nobody should win. It is highly unlikely that Pro really did made a convincing case that unicorns exist. The links are almost certainty non-credible. Yet, Con trolled, so therefore shouldn't win either. Therefore, the only conclusion that a voter can come to is a draw.
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/3/2016 11:18:03 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 8/3/2016 1:56:20 AM, Stupidape wrote:

Most people use burden of proof as an excuse to not have to post any arguments. The whole thing about the one making the positive claim having the burden is ludicrous. In reality, everyone who makes a claim has to back up what they say.