Total Posts:22|Showing Posts:1-22
Jump to topic:

New debate topic at school, help brainstorm?

NoCoolNameNate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 9:19:31 PM
Posted: 4 months ago
Resolved: The United States federal government should pay financial reparations to African Americans to compensate for historic injustices.

My debate team JUST got it's new topic today. Our first tournament is in October. Would anyone here like to help research/brainstorm? I'd be willing to debate others on this topic as well in order to warm up if anyone would like to and/or am willing to help research a topic later in exchange.

A little about myself: I'm a junior and this is my second year debating but last year I went from Novice to Junior Varsity and won the Junior Varsity state debate championship for the classic debate format in Minnesota (A partner debate style). I'm going into Varsity this year and thought I'd post here to see if people had any advice on this topic. I used to post here in middle school and made a new account for this.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 9:42:06 PM
At 8/10/2016 9:19:31 PM, NoCoolNameNate wrote:
Resolved: The United States federal government should pay financial reparations to African Americans to compensate for historic injustices.

My debate team JUST got it's new topic today. Our first tournament is in October. Would anyone here like to help research/brainstorm? I'd be willing to debate others on this topic as well in order to warm up if anyone would like to and/or am willing to help research a topic later in exchange.

A little about myself: I'm a junior and this is my second year debating but last year I went from Novice to Junior Varsity and won the Junior Varsity state debate championship for the classic debate format in Minnesota (A partner debate style). I'm going into Varsity this year and thought I'd post here to see if people had any advice on this topic. I used to post here in middle school and made a new account for this.

Welcome to DDO! I'll help out. Just go to my profile and message me privately so we don't clog the forum
ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 11:11:05 PM

Welcome to Debate.org! I'd recommend that you start at idebate.

http://www2.idebate.org...
ThinkBig
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notable Notes and Quotable Quotes
"I GOT SIG'D"
"WELL FVCK ME IN THE A$SHOLE AND CALL ME A CUCK I GOT SIG'D AGAIN"
-Kiri
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig.
-7th
Need a judge or vote? Nominate me!!
NoCoolNameNate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 11:32:25 PM
At 8/10/2016 11:11:05 PM, ThinkBig wrote:

Hey I didn't know about this, thanks! What do you think about the topic personally? I thought AFF was super favored at first but now am not so sure...
ThinkBig
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/10/2016 11:46:03 PM

I'm undecided on this issue. If you're interested, I can possibly debate you on either side and can help coach you.
ThinkBig
Notable Notes and Quotable Quotes
"I GOT SIG'D"
"WELL FVCK ME IN THE A$SHOLE AND CALL ME A CUCK I GOT SIG'D AGAIN"
-Kiri
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig.
-7th
Need a judge or vote? Nominate me!!
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 3:32:33 PM
Wasn't this a PFD/LD topic not that long ago? I'm sure you could just look up case briefs on the topic and it should help.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 3:47:17 PM
At 8/11/2016 3:32:33 PM, lannan13 wrote:
Wasn't this a PFD/LD topic not that long ago? I'm sure you could just look up case briefs on the topic and it should help.

It was a PFD topic.
"Life calls the tune, we dance."
John Galsworthy
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 3:56:06 PM
At 8/11/2016 3:47:17 PM, famousdebater wrote:

It was a PFD topic.

I don't do PFD, so that's probably why. I'm mainly a policy guy.

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 4:19:04 PM
At 8/11/2016 3:56:06 PM, lannan13 wrote:

It was a PFD topic.

I also prefer policy debate though I'm open to debating PFD and LD debates too.
John Galsworthy
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 4:43:20 PM
At 8/11/2016 4:19:04 PM, famousdebater wrote:

It was a PFD topic.

I've done all three, Policy is more of my kind of thing. In the Spring I prefer LD over PFD.

famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2016 4:54:58 PM
At 8/11/2016 4:43:20 PM, lannan13 wrote:

It was a PFD topic.

I've done all three, Policy is more of my kind of thing. In the Spring I prefer LD over PFD.

I completely agree with this.
John Galsworthy
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 11:51:49 AM
Posted: 3 months ago

There is LD/PF in the UK?
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 3:22:55 PM
At 8/12/2016 11:51:49 AM, tejretics wrote:

I don't think so. I'm still aware of what the styles of debate are though since I'm interested in debate. As far as I know I haven't heard of LD/PFD here.
John Galsworthy
NoCoolNameNate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 8:43:37 PM

don't you have to pay for briefs?
NoCoolNameNate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 8:45:53 PM
At 8/12/2016 3:22:55 PM, famousdebater wrote:
At 8/12/2016 11:51:49 AM, tejretics wrote:

I don't think so. I'm still aware of what the styles of debate are though since I'm interested in debate. As far as I know I haven't heard of LD/PFD here.

Have you heard of classic?
NoCoolNameNate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 8:53:22 PM
At 8/10/2016 11:46:03 PM, ThinkBig wrote:

I'm undecided on this issue. If you're interested, I can possibly debate you on either side and can help coach you.

I'm interested. How about a debate in which I take the negative and you take the affirmative? I've only been seeing people go neg on this site for this topic so I'm interested to see what people bring to the table for aff (And if it's what I'm expecting).
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 9:38:17 PM

You should join a hangout one night, and some of us might be able to talk you through it.
Tsar of DDO
NoCoolNameNate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2016 10:54:08 PM
At 8/12/2016 9:38:17 PM, YYW wrote:

You should join a hangout one night, and some of us might be able to talk you through it.

Sure, that sounds awesome. What time are they? I could probs be in one later tonight potentially. Also, thanks for the friend request, community here seems pretty friendly (except for a few trolls but whatever).
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 1:27:20 AM

You said: "I also prefer policy debate though I'm open to debating PFD and LD debates too." So it implied that you had debated PF, LD and Policy. That's why I asked.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 6:25:13 AM
At 8/13/2016 1:27:20 AM, tejretics wrote:

You said: "I also prefer policy debate though I'm open to debating PFD and LD debates too." So it implied that you had debated PF, LD and Policy. That's why I asked.

I have debated on this site though using various debate styles though.
John Galsworthy
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 6:26:15 AM
At 8/13/2016 6:25:13 AM, famousdebater wrote:

As in? I've looked through most of your debates, and the style of argumentation seems the same. Unless you mean topics from different debate styles. Debate styles are defined by the speed of speaking, the time periods, the number of people on a team, etc.
famousdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 5:11:46 PM
At 8/13/2016 6:26:15 AM, tejretics wrote:
At 8/13/2016 6:25:13 AM, famousdebater wrote:

As in? I've looked through most of your debates, and the style of argumentation seems the same. Unless you mean topics from different debate styles. Debate styles are defined by the speed of speaking, the time periods, the number of people on a team, etc.

I know. I've done team debates before as well as experimenting with different topics. The time periods is something that I plan on doing on edeb8 and IRL.
John Galsworthy