Jump to topic:

Voting Template

Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 7:47:50 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
ThinkBig made a thread on this earlier, but it was buried in the drama at the time. I proposed a template that I had made: https://docs.google.com...
I want to improve it, so please give some suggestions and criticism:

Who has the burden of proof? (State what each side has to do to win the debate.)

Pro"s (or Con"s, but Pro is usually the instigator) first contention: State contention.

Summarize the argument in one or two sentences. Summarize the opposing side"s rebuttal and Pro"s defense. After reading the final round, assess whether Pro was able to defend his arguments or Con successfully refuted them. Based on the assessment, state whether the argument was a success for Pro and explain your reasoning in a few sentences.

Repeat this process for each of Pro"s contentions, then move on to Con"s contentions.

At the end of your RFD, decide who won the debate. If all of the arguments of one debater were successful, that side wins. If neither side"s arguments were all successful, restate the burden of proof and assess whether a single side managed to meet theirs. The side that met their burden of proof wins. If neither side meets the burden of proof, place a null vote.
I don't have a signature. :-)
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2016 7:55:25 PM
Keep in mind that this template is for new users who have been discouraged from voting by over-complicated votes. I am aware that there exist comprehensive voting guides made by prominent voters, but the purpose of this is to be shorter, simpler, and easier to follow.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 4:14:20 PM
How about letting people just vote and say what ever they want for their RFD If in fact you really want to know their real RFD, and not some prescribed phony response that only the the vote moderators will allow.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 7:56:42 PM
At 8/14/2016 4:14:20 PM, sadolite wrote:
How about letting people just vote and say what ever they want for their RFD If in fact you really want to know their real RFD, and not some prescribed phony response that only the the vote moderators will allow.

Because that allows biased voting, which is why many new members get their privileges removed and then get discouraged when they see long and complex voting guides.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 9:53:47 PM
At 8/14/2016 7:56:42 PM, Bob13 wrote:

Because that allows biased voting, which is why many new members get their privileges removed and then get discouraged when they see long and complex voting guides.

"Because that allows biased voting, " LOL Welcome to the real world and the way it really is.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 10:00:29 PM
At 8/14/2016 9:53:47 PM, sadolite wrote:

"Because that allows biased voting, " LOL Welcome to the real world and the way it really is.

DDO isn't the real world, it's a website intended to be a platform for debating. There's no point in debating if you never get helpful feedback for you to improve. Biased voting turns a debate into a popularity contest, and that's not what the site is supposed to be.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 10:03:22 PM
At 8/14/2016 10:00:29 PM, Bob13 wrote:

DDO isn't the real world, it's a website intended to be a platform for debating. There's no point in debating if you never get helpful feedback for you to improve. Biased voting turns a debate into a popularity contest, and that's not what the site is supposed to be.

. If you intend to use this site to hone your skills anywhere outside of imaginary land as you basically call it, you will fail every time.

Bob13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/14/2016 10:08:59 PM
At 8/14/2016 10:03:22 PM, sadolite wrote:

. If you intend to use this site to hone your skills anywhere outside of imaginary land as you basically call it, you will fail every time.

I would have never improved my debating skills if I had never received good RFDs on my debates. Bad votes are annoying and I made this template to help new voters submit fewer biased votes.
sadolite
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 12:23:34 AM
At 8/14/2016 10:08:59 PM, Bob13 wrote:
At 8/14/2016 10:03:22 PM, sadolite wrote:

I would have never improved my debating skills if I had never received good RFDs on my debates. Bad votes are annoying and I made this template to help new voters submit fewer biased votes.

Just as long as you agree that the real world does not follow voting rules other than to be registered and that is ify at best.