Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

^^^DDOlympics: Forum Contest^^^

bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 12:56:14 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Aloha! Welcome to the forum contest of the DDOlympics!

The Contest

Round One

All contestants will make 6 forums posts of at least 500 characters each. Exactly 2 of those forum posts must be OPs. The posts must have been made between today and the end of the first round of the competition. All posts are due by September 4th. This will give you about 20 days to make your posts.

A panel of judges will score these posts and are urged to consider things like depth of post content, grammar, readability, informativeness, whether the content is thought-provoking, and so forth. However, there is no specific scoring rubric. Judges can assign non-OPs up to 5 points, and OPs up to 10 points; judges can assign those points in increments of .25. In the event of a tie, the person with the highest average score will win out; if that fails, then I will cast a tiebraking quarter point.

Round Two

Based on the scores from Round One, all but four contestants will be eliminated based on their total scores. The results of Round One will be announced by September 6th. The remaining four will make 3 further posts, exactly one of which must be an OP. The posts for round two must have be made between September 6th and the end of the second round, on September 16th. This will give you about 10 days to make your posts.

A panel of judges will score these posts and are urged to consider things like depth of post content, grammar, readability, informativeness, whether the content is thought-provoking, and so forth. However, there is no specific scoring rubric. Judges can assign non-OPs up to 5 points, and OPs up to 10 points; judges can assign those points in increments of .25. These points will be added to the scores from Round One to determine medal positions. In the event of a tie, the person with the highest average score will win out; if that fails, then I will cast a tiebraking quarter point.

Entries

1. Lannan
2. Vind
3. Diqi
4. Disc
5. Shab
6. Fire
7. Subutai
8. Uther
9. Miss
10. Tej
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 1:04:31 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/16/2016 1:03:05 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:
When does the First Round End.

September 4th.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 1:05:31 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Attention

I should clarify that posts for the second round need to be at least 750 characters.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Discipulus_Didicit
Posts: 3,087
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 4:44:24 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/16/2016 12:56:14 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Who are these judges you speak of?
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
lannan13
Posts: 23,022
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 5:10:11 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Let's GO!
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2016 6:07:53 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/16/2016 4:44:24 PM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:
At 8/16/2016 12:56:14 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Who are these judges you speak of?

They're anonymous.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Discipulus_Didicit
Posts: 3,087
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 7:57:09 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/16/2016 6:07:53 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 8/16/2016 4:44:24 PM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:
At 8/16/2016 12:56:14 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Who are these judges you speak of?

They're anonymous.

I see...

...

... through your elaborate conspiracy!
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
Discipulus_Didicit
Posts: 3,087
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 7:59:39 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Jokes aside, should we/can we post our submissions here for the audience or do you want which posts are submitted to remain secret until after the judges decide the winners?
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 8:00:31 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 8/17/2016 7:59:39 AM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:
Jokes aside, should we/can we post our submissions here for the audience or do you want which posts are submitted to remain secret until after the judges decide the winners?

You can post here, too.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Discipulus_Didicit
Posts: 3,087
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 8:17:26 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
http://www.debate.org...

Short OP titled "Your vote matters, but should it?"

I am sure this topic won't be the least bit controversial.
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
Discipulus_Didicit
Posts: 3,087
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 12:18:40 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Another very short OP, this one on the myth of juvenile delinquency.

http://www.debate.org...

Looking for unique topics for my 4 non-OP posts.
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
Discipulus_Didicit
Posts: 3,087
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/21/2016 5:15:49 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
I have officially been called a racist for both of my thread OPs, neither of which had anything whatsoever to do with race at all.

I just love the 'open-minded' DDO community.

<3
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
fire_wings
Posts: 5,551
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 2:37:05 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
I have one OP, and 2 normal non-OP posts. Joy.
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 7:07:10 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Attention

Remember, all round 1 posts must be in by the 4th. That is tomorrow.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Diqiucun_Cunmin
Posts: 2,710
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 5:52:27 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 7:07:10 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Attention

Remember, all round 1 posts must be in by the 4th. That is tomorrow.

If insufficient members make enough posts by the deadline, what will you do? :/
The thing is, I hate relativism. I hate relativism more than I hate everything else, excepting, maybe, fibreglass powerboats... What it overlooks, to put it briefly and crudely, is the fixed structure of human nature. - Jerry Fodor

Don't be a stat cynic:
http://www.debate.org...

Response to conservative views on deforestation:
http://www.debate.org...

Topics I'd like to debate (not debating ATM): http://tinyurl.com...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 8:34:07 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 5:52:27 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 9/3/2016 7:07:10 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Attention

Remember, all round 1 posts must be in by the 4th. That is tomorrow.

If insufficient members make enough posts by the deadline, what will you do? :/

The event will probably be cancelled. I would aim to try to get at least 5 people to submit their 6 posts. So far, you and Fire have already done that, so I am just in need of at least 3 more people doing that.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
missmozart
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 9:11:58 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 8:34:07 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/3/2016 5:52:27 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 9/3/2016 7:07:10 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Attention

Remember, all round 1 posts must be in by the 4th. That is tomorrow.

If insufficient members make enough posts by the deadline, what will you do? :/

The event will probably be cancelled. I would aim to try to get at least 5 people to submit their 6 posts. So far, you and Fire have already done that, so I am just in need of at least 3 more people doing that.

I don't think it's fair if you cancel the event just because people don't meet the deadline. I think you should at least award a first and a second for example if nobody else enters because the people who actually *have* submitted their posts, have spent a considerable amount of time and work into them.
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 9:14:25 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 9:11:58 PM, missmozart wrote:
At 9/3/2016 8:34:07 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/3/2016 5:52:27 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 9/3/2016 7:07:10 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Attention

Remember, all round 1 posts must be in by the 4th. That is tomorrow.

If insufficient members make enough posts by the deadline, what will you do? :/

The event will probably be cancelled. I would aim to try to get at least 5 people to submit their 6 posts. So far, you and Fire have already done that, so I am just in need of at least 3 more people doing that.

I don't think it's fair if you cancel the event just because people don't meet the deadline. I think you should at least award a first and a second for example if nobody else enters because the people who actually *have* submitted their posts, have spent a considerable amount of time and work into them.

It's true that people put effort into those posts, but it undermines the credibility of the awards when there are only 2 or 3 people participating, thus guaranteeing every competitor a medal.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
missmozart
Posts: 306
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 9:32:25 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 9:14:25 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/3/2016 9:11:58 PM, missmozart wrote:
At 9/3/2016 8:34:07 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/3/2016 5:52:27 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 9/3/2016 7:07:10 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Attention

Remember, all round 1 posts must be in by the 4th. That is tomorrow.

If insufficient members make enough posts by the deadline, what will you do? :/

The event will probably be cancelled. I would aim to try to get at least 5 people to submit their 6 posts. So far, you and Fire have already done that, so I am just in need of at least 3 more people doing that.

I don't think it's fair if you cancel the event just because people don't meet the deadline. I think you should at least award a first and a second for example if nobody else enters because the people who actually *have* submitted their posts, have spent a considerable amount of time and work into them.

It's true that people put effort into those posts, but it undermines the credibility of the awards when there are only 2 or 3 people participating, thus guaranteeing every competitor a medal.

Okay, well in that case, you could set a limit. For example, you have to have at least x amount of marks in order to be awarded first prize and y amount of marks for second etc. Or at the very least, ask the adjudicators to give some sort of feedback. But don't cancel it! That's sort of like writing an extremely good argument in a debate and your opponent forfeits making you both stuck in the forfeit glitch.
"Bonjour" -Feu

Diqiu: "Asian men are generally perceived as more feminine..."
Me: "Are you feminine?"
Diqiu: "Hey, no!"

"Do really really really good pens turn you on?" -Hayd

"bsh1's profile pic is what the snapchat filter would look like on steroids"- VOT

"let's keep it simple and traditional :D" -Biodome
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 12:58:48 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
At 9/3/2016 9:32:25 PM, missmozart wrote:
At 9/3/2016 9:14:25 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/3/2016 9:11:58 PM, missmozart wrote:
At 9/3/2016 8:34:07 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/3/2016 5:52:27 PM, Diqiucun_Cunmin wrote:
At 9/3/2016 7:07:10 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Attention

Remember, all round 1 posts must be in by the 4th. That is tomorrow.

If insufficient members make enough posts by the deadline, what will you do? :/

The event will probably be cancelled. I would aim to try to get at least 5 people to submit their 6 posts. So far, you and Fire have already done that, so I am just in need of at least 3 more people doing that.

I don't think it's fair if you cancel the event just because people don't meet the deadline. I think you should at least award a first and a second for example if nobody else enters because the people who actually *have* submitted their posts, have spent a considerable amount of time and work into them.

It's true that people put effort into those posts, but it undermines the credibility of the awards when there are only 2 or 3 people participating, thus guaranteeing every competitor a medal.

Okay, well in that case, you could set a limit. For example, you have to have at least x amount of marks in order to be awarded first prize and y amount of marks for second etc. Or at the very least, ask the adjudicators to give some sort of feedback. But don't cancel it! That's sort of like writing an extremely good argument in a debate and your opponent forfeits making you both stuck in the forfeit glitch.

I think it over if I can't get at least 5 participants. But, I am hoping that we can at least get that many people involved.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2016 9:56:35 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Attention

All first round posts are due today!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2016 4:14:38 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Attention

The window for submitting posts has closed. We have met the goal of 5 people submitting posts, so the event will NOT be cancelled.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 4:40:07 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
Attention

Round Two has started. Tej, Diqi, Shab, and Disc have advanced to this second round.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Discipulus_Didicit
Posts: 3,087
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 5:56:00 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/6/2016 4:40:07 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Attention

Round Two has started. Tej, Diqi, Shab, and Disc have advanced to this second round.

Wow. My OPs must have done very well because I know those other 4 posts were unimpressive at best lol.
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 6:03:37 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/6/2016 5:56:00 AM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:
At 9/6/2016 4:40:07 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Attention

Round Two has started. Tej, Diqi, Shab, and Disc have advanced to this second round.

Wow. My OPs must have done very well because I know those other 4 posts were unimpressive at best lol.

Well, if you think you could've done better, R2 is the time to up your game.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Discipulus_Didicit
Posts: 3,087
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/6/2016 6:05:53 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
At 9/6/2016 6:03:37 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/6/2016 5:56:00 AM, Discipulus_Didicit wrote:
At 9/6/2016 4:40:07 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Attention

Round Two has started. Tej, Diqi, Shab, and Disc have advanced to this second round.

Wow. My OPs must have done very well because I know those other 4 posts were unimpressive at best lol.

Well, if you think you could've done better, R2 is the time to up your game.

Oh trust me, this is going to be good ;)
Cobalt - You could be scum too.
Matt - I suppose. But I also might not be.

Kiri - Yeah, I don't know what DD is doing.
Vaarka - He's doin'a thingy do

DD - The best advice most often goes unheeded.
Wise Man - KYS, DD.
DD - Case in point ^
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:00:34 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Attention

9 days remain to make and submit your second round posts!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 10:46:12 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Time Check

You have 1 week to submit your final three posts!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
bsh1
Posts: 27,503
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 5:07:04 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
Time Check

Three days remain to submit your second round posts!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.


"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...