Jump to topic:

Rant

YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 12:44:09 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Please do your best when voting. People really try hard in debates, and they deserve an UNBIASED opinion based only on the strength of their arguments. And at least try to get the right answer for the right reason, when you do.

First, burdens. If you think that normative resolutions have unequal burdens, then you are wrong. You should know why you are wrong. The reason you are wrong if you believe that normative resolutions can have unequal burdens is because opinion issues (not questions of fact; if you don't know the difference, learn it) do not involve things you can prove up with empirical evidence. So, to the extent you're saying that one side has a burden greater than another, you're showing bias where you have no basis to. The resolution is what sets the burdens. Stupid people disagree with this. Don't be stupid. Be smart. Understand that all normative resolutions have equal burdens. Period. Doesn't matter what the debaters say.

Second, impacts. Realize as well that when you are weighing impacts, you have to do it based on the strength of the argument that preceded it. An unsupported argument has a weak impact. But, you don't get to challenge the strength of the sources as a judge unless one side has sources and the other side does not.

Third, biases. Check your bias at the door. For goodness sake... no debate here is the "final word" on any topic. It's like this: you can be pro gun and still vote against someone who is pro-gun, and if the anti-gun side won then you are morally obliged to give them the win. When you undertake to judge a debate, you have an obligation to the debaters which is moral and which you should take seriously. That obligation is to judge the debate based only on what happens in the debate, and nothing else. That means that you can't let your individual biases influence the outcome. You have to be wary of that. So that you can know, I always know if a judge is biased. I read some of these RFD's and literally shake my head some of you are so obvious about it. It's shameful, and if you can't get yourself under control, you have no business voting. Period.

There are plenty of "sufficient" votes out there that are terrible. If you did your best, then that's fine. I can't and don't expect more than your best, but I do expect your best. The debaters are entitled to your best. Don't fvck it up.
Tsar of DDO
NoCoolNameNate
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 12:56:34 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Well said, I wish I could like posts! Hopefully people will listen. The biases can be severely absurd on votes; it's like people think they're putting in a vote for actual legislature. Thanks for putting in the time to write this!