Jump to topic:

^^^DDOlympics: Team Debate Tournament - R1^^^

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 2:58:06 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
Aloha! Welcome to the Team Debate Tournament of the DDOlympics! This thread will cover information about the tournament structure, and information for Round One. Take special note of any italicized information. Best of luck!

About the Tournament

Because of the odd number of entries (seven entries), and because I didn't want anyone to lose out on a medal due to a single loss, I decided to make a double-elimination, power-paired bracket tournament.

This means that everyone has been paired based on their team's average ELO (the ELO of both teammates divided by two). Highly ranked teams face lower ranked teams, and people will proceed along the "Up-Bracket" until they lose. The winner of the Up-Bracket is the Gold Medalist, and the runner-up of the "Up-Bracket" is the Silver Medalist.

If you lose in the "Up-Bracket" you are not eliminated. Instead, you are bumped down to the "Down-Bracket." There, you will debate other people who have lost one of their debates. Teams in the down-bracket will be continuously power-paired, so that in each round of the down-bracket, the highest ranked team will face the lowest ranked team. A loss in the down-bracket will bump you out of (eliminate you from) the tournament.

To clarify this, 1 loss before the final prevents you winning gold or silver. 2 losses prevents you winning bronze, and eliminates you from the tournament. The gold medalist will be the only team with a perfect tournament record. For a visual representation of how these brackets will work, consult the google sheet linked below.

For the first round of the tournament (octofinals), you are required to start your debate by noon, EST, on August 23rd, giving you about a week to agree on a topic with your opposing team. Though, if you can start your debates sooner, that would be great. If you ever receive a "bye round" it means you have no opponent for that round of debate, and you will be automatically advanced to the next round; byes will go to higher seeds.

Octofinal debates must have 3 rounds of debate (an acceptance round is not "debating). You may not have more rounds of debate than that. Your voting periods should be between 1 and 2 weeks. Do not do troll topics; troll debates will not be counted, and you will be asked to restart. If you cannot agree on a topic, let me know, and I will assign you and your opponent a side, plus sides to take. I will use the lists from R2 of the Unique Topics Tournament thread. All other debate rules are up to you and your adversary.

Once you have begun your debates, please post links to them below. As always, best of luck in the competition!

Octofinal Match-Ups

1. Hayd/Tej vs.
8. Bye Round

4. TN05/Warren vs.
5. MissMozart/Bio

3. Fire/Think vs.
6. Vind/Midnight

2. Danielle/Lannan vs.
7. Shab/Bob

Results Sheet

To see how the tournament is set-up, and to better visualize the bracket system, as well as to check for results as they come in, see this google sheet: https://docs.google.com...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2016 7:59:42 PM
At 8/17/2016 2:58:06 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Aloha! Welcome to the Team Debate Tournament of the DDOlympics! This thread will cover information about the tournament structure, and information for Round One. Take special note of any italicized information. Best of luck!

About the Tournament

Because of the odd number of entries (seven entries), and because I didn't want anyone to lose out on a medal due to a single loss, I decided to make a double-elimination, power-paired bracket tournament.

This means that everyone has been paired based on their team's average ELO (the ELO of both teammates divided by two). Highly ranked teams face lower ranked teams, and people will proceed along the "Up-Bracket" until they lose. The winner of the Up-Bracket is the Gold Medalist, and the runner-up of the "Up-Bracket" is the Silver Medalist.

If you lose in the "Up-Bracket" you are not eliminated. Instead, you are bumped down to the "Down-Bracket." There, you will debate other people who have lost one of their debates. Teams in the down-bracket will be continuously power-paired, so that in each round of the down-bracket, the highest ranked team will face the lowest ranked team. A loss in the down-bracket will bump you out of (eliminate you from) the tournament.

To clarify this, 1 loss before the final prevents you winning gold or silver. 2 losses prevents you winning bronze, and eliminates you from the tournament. The gold medalist will be the only team with a perfect tournament record. For a visual representation of how these brackets will work, consult the google sheet linked below.

For the first round of the tournament (octofinals), you are required to start your debate by noon, EST, on August 23rd, giving you about a week to agree on a topic with your opposing team. Though, if you can start your debates sooner, that would be great. If you ever receive a "bye round" it means you have no opponent for that round of debate, and you will be automatically advanced to the next round; byes will go to higher seeds.

Octofinal debates must have 3 rounds of debate (an acceptance round is not "debating). You may not have more rounds of debate than that. Your voting periods should be between 1 and 2 weeks. Do not do troll topics; troll debates will not be counted, and you will be asked to restart. If you cannot agree on a topic, let me know, and I will assign you and your opponent a side, plus sides to take. I will use the lists from R2 of the Unique Topics Tournament thread. All other debate rules are up to you and your adversary.

Once you have begun your debates, please post links to them below. As always, best of luck in the competition!

Octofinal Match-Ups

1. Hayd/Tej vs.
8. Bye Round

4. TN05/Warren vs.
5. MissMozart/Bio

3. Fire/Think vs.
6. Vind/Midnight

2. Danielle/Lannan vs.
7. Shab/Bob

Results Sheet

To see how the tournament is set-up, and to better visualize the bracket system, as well as to check for results as they come in, see this google sheet: https://docs.google.com...

Wanted a bye round :(
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 5:43:39 PM
At 8/17/2016 2:58:06 AM, bsh1 wrote:

About the Tournament

Octofinal Match-Ups

1. Hayd/Tej vs.
8. Bye Round

4. TN05/Warren vs.
5. MissMozart/Bio

3. Fire/Think vs.
6. Vind/Midnight

2. Danielle/Lannan vs.
7. Shab/Bob

Results Sheet

In the google sheet, it says, "high seed, low seed." what is that talking about?

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 6:23:57 PM
At 8/18/2016 5:43:39 PM, fire_wings wrote:
In the google sheet, it says, "high seed, low seed." what is that talking about?

A seed is a rank.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 7:08:03 PM
At 8/18/2016 6:23:57 PM, bsh1 wrote:

A seed is a rank.

so what does high rank and low rank mean? Don't they both lose? How can one have a higher rank when both are losing?

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 8:53:15 PM
At 8/18/2016 7:08:03 PM, fire_wings wrote:

A seed is a rank.

so what does high rank and low rank mean? Don't they both lose? How can one have a higher rank when both are losing?

Your ranking is determined before the tournament begins based on you and your teammates average ELO. You are then seeded/placed into the tournament based on your initial ranking.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 8:54:05 PM
At 8/18/2016 8:53:15 PM, bsh1 wrote:

A seed is a rank.

Your ranking is determined before the tournament begins based on you and your teammates average ELO. You are then seeded/placed into the tournament based on your initial ranking.

Hayd/Tej is so unfair :(

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 9:00:27 PM
At 8/18/2016 8:54:05 PM, fire_wings wrote:

A seed is a rank.

It's not unfair. Because their are an odd number of people, I cannot pair everyone evenly--someone was going to get the bye round. Because the tournament is power-paired, Hayd and Tej would've face the lowest ranked team had their been 8 people, and the equivalent of the lowest ranked team in this format is a bye.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 9:06:01 PM
At 8/18/2016 9:00:27 PM, bsh1 wrote:
At 8/18/2016 8:54:05 PM, fire_wings wrote:

A seed is a rank.

It's not unfair. Because their are an odd number of people, I cannot pair everyone evenly--someone was going to get the bye round. Because the tournament is power-paired, Hayd and Tej would've face the lowest ranked team had their been 8 people, and the equivalent of the lowest ranked team in this format is a bye.

I mean if they lose, they will be bye again

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/18/2016 9:09:26 PM
At 8/18/2016 9:06:01 PM, fire_wings wrote:

That is correct, but then they will have two more rounds of debating to go through anyway. So, if they lose but get the bronze, they will have at least done 3 rounds of debate. And even if they get the second bye, the best they can do is third place.

But, there are only two byes possible in this tournament. If Hayd and Tej don't lose their first debate, then they will not get the second bye, and it will go to someone else.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 9:58:56 PM
At 8/18/2016 9:06:01 PM, fire_wings wrote:

Actually, it is impossible for them to get a second bye. Only a team who loses in R1 could get the down-bracket bye, and Hayd/Tej auto-won in R1.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/20/2016 10:00:44 PM
Attention

Three days remain until you debates should have started!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 4:53:10 AM
Time Check

Remember, you debates should begin in about 11 hours. If you have any issues getting a debate started, please let me know ASAP. For those who miss the deadline, you will likely be assigned a topic and sides, unless there are some kind of extenuating circumstances.

Again, good luck on all your debates!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 4:54:24 AM
Hayd/Tej and Danielle/Lannan will be unbeatable combinations. I want to see them go up against each other.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 8:02:07 AM
At 8/23/2016 4:54:24 AM, bballcrook21 wrote:
Hayd/Tej and Danielle/Lannan will be unbeatable combinations. I want to see them go up against each other.

That's what I thought also. They will probably go to the finals

warren42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 1:38:40 PM
At 8/23/2016 8:02:07 AM, fire_wings wrote:

It'd be an excellent debate, I'm excited to see it, should they both make it
-warren42

"Give me liberty. That's it. I can handle the rest."
warren42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 1:39:07 PM
http://www.debate.org...

TN05 and I have issued our challenge to Biodome and missmozart
-warren42

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 1:56:19 PM
At 8/23/2016 1:38:40 PM, warren42 wrote:
At 8/23/2016 8:02:07 AM, fire_wings wrote:

It'd be an excellent debate, I'm excited to see it, should they both make it

It will

fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/23/2016 1:56:36 PM
At 8/23/2016 1:39:07 PM, warren42 wrote:
http://www.debate.org...

TN05 and I have issued our challenge to Biodome and missmozart

Already?

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2016 3:11:33 PM
Ongoing Debates

TN05/Warren vs. MissMozart/Biodome
[http://www.debate.org...]

Fire/Think vs. Vind/Midnight
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/26/2016 4:02:30 AM
Ongoing Debates

Shab/Bob vs. Danielle/Lannan
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2016 9:12:32 PM
Ongoing Debates

Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2016 7:01:13 AM
Ongoing Debates

Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 8:04:43 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
Ongoing Debates

Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 6:41:33 PM
Ongoing Debates

Winner: Vind/Midnight

Please vote on these debates! Thank you!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/13/2016 2:21:58 PM
Please Vote!

There are only five days left in the voting period, and it is still unvoted It could really use some attention. Thanks!
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/16/2016 1:15:10 PM
Please Vote!

These debates really need votes. They only have 5 and 2 days left in their respective voting periods.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 8:13:15 PM
Lannan and Shab's debate could really use a vote--just 2 hours are left in the voting period.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

warren42
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/18/2016 9:21:02 PM
At 9/18/2016 8:13:15 PM, bsh1 wrote:
Lannan and Shab's debate could really use a vote--just 2 hours are left in the voting period.

I'm going to ask permission but not sure if I'll receive it and be able to get a good RFD in on time.
-warren42

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2016 9:38:41 PM
Semifinal Match-Ups

1. Hayd/Tej vs.
5. MissMozart/Bio (or 4. TN05/Warren)

2. Danielle/Lannan vs.
6. Vind/Midnight

3. Fire/Think vs.
8. Bye Round

4. TN05/Warren (or 5. MissMozart/Bio) vs.
7. Shab/Bob

About this Round

For the second round of the tournament (semifinals), you are required to start your debate by noon, EST, on September 24th, giving you about 5 days to agree on a topic with your opposing team. Though, if you can start your debates sooner, that would be great. If you received a "bye round" it means you have no opponent for this round of debate, and you will be automatically advanced to the next round; byes will go to higher seeds.

Semifinal debates must have 3 rounds of debate (an acceptance round is not "debating). If possible, I urge you to consider using 48 hour posting periods in the interests of speeding the tournament up; this is not, however, mandatory. You may not have more rounds of debate than 3 rounds of debate. Your voting periods should be between 1 week and 10 days. Do not do troll topics; troll debates will not be counted, and you will be asked to restart. If you cannot agree on a topic, let me know, and I will assign you and your opponent a side, plus sides to take. I will use the Open Debate Topics list to generate a random resolution. All other debate rules are up to you and your adversary to decide.

Also, not all of the R1 results have been finalized. The MissMozart/Bio vs. TN05/Warren debate has yet to conclude, but it should be done in under 2 days. I set the brackets assuming that the former win (as they are currently ahead), but if the latter wins, debate the team in parentheses rather than the team without them. If you have any questions about this, let me know. I understand this might be confusing.

Results Sheet

To see how the tournament is set-up, and to better visualize the bracket system, as well as to check for results as they come in (including R1 results), see this google sheet: https://docs.google.com...
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics