Total Posts:21|Showing Posts:1-21
Jump to topic:

Rules of DDO debates..

Shtookah
Posts: 71
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 4:31:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So swear words are out of the question because..... ? Can sombody explain to me why videos in debates are out of the the question as well..? I really don't understand.
You are reading a very cool and original signature that makes you think I am chill person to hang with.
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 4:38:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/4/2011 4:31:30 PM, Shtookah wrote:
So swear words are out of the question because..... ? Can sombody explain to me why videos in debates are out of the the question as well..? I really don't understand.

Swear words are not really "out of the question" but typically they present bad conduct. Videos are not so good because it requires your opponent to watch something rather, and it's not your work.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 4:43:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/4/2011 4:38:51 PM, Alex wrote:
At 1/4/2011 4:31:30 PM, Shtookah wrote:
So swear words are out of the question because..... ? Can sombody explain to me why videos in debates are out of the the question as well..? I really don't understand.

Swear words are not really "out of the question" but typically they present bad conduct. Videos are not so good because it requires your opponent to watch something rather, and it's not your work.

videos are often used as sources, and yes often cussing loses the conduct point, and even the persuasive point too.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Alex
Posts: 2,058
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 4:56:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I know I would not watch a video in a debate, if it was over like 2 minutes that is.
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 5:22:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I see absolutely no problem with either. Both can often be humorous. Videos have practical use as well.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 5:48:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/4/2011 5:22:34 PM, FREEDO wrote:
I see absolutely no problem with either. Both can often be humorous. Videos have practical use as well.

maybe you could use a video documentary as a source for info...

and link to it.. but the video shouldn't be your argument.

it should AT MOST be a source of info that you link to so as to prove that you didn't conjure the information out of thin air.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 7:45:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Swear words are generally bad conduct.

Whenever I use a video, I usually specify a specific clip from the video that is about under a minute, usually to cite events in an anime show. Once, a guy against me linked to two videos that totalled over fifty minutes. I refused to watch them, and voted against him conduct-wise for it.
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 8:36:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/4/2011 8:33:47 PM, sllewuy wrote:
there should not even be points for conduct

Why? Have you ever read a debate where the instigator/contender completely disregards appropriate conduct and instead insults their opponent throughout the entire debate? If you have, you'd see the need for conduct points.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 8:41:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/4/2011 8:36:55 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 1/4/2011 8:33:47 PM, sllewuy wrote:
there should not even be points for conduct

Why? Have you ever read a debate where the instigator/contender completely disregards appropriate conduct and instead insults their opponent throughout the entire debate? If you have, you'd see the need for conduct points.

this.

the conduct point is a way to diminish the likelihood of an "argument" composed of ad hominem attacks against the opponent rather than real arguments
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
sllewuy
Posts: 89
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 8:51:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/4/2011 8:36:55 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 1/4/2011 8:33:47 PM, sllewuy wrote:
there should not even be points for conduct

Why? Have you ever read a debate where the instigator/contender completely disregards appropriate conduct and instead insults their opponent throughout the entire debate? If you have, you'd see the need for conduct points.

if you can identify a argument that is obviously going no where with just insults, shouldn't it be obvious who won anyway? take out the conduct and just give one more point to convincing argument, thats the only stat that matters anywa
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 8:54:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/4/2011 8:51:24 PM, sllewuy wrote:
At 1/4/2011 8:36:55 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 1/4/2011 8:33:47 PM, sllewuy wrote:
there should not even be points for conduct

Why? Have you ever read a debate where the instigator/contender completely disregards appropriate conduct and instead insults their opponent throughout the entire debate? If you have, you'd see the need for conduct points.

if you can identify a argument that is obviously going no where with just insults, shouldn't it be obvious who won anyway? take out the conduct and just give one more point to convincing argument, thats the only stat that matters anywa

But what about those debates where there are coherent arguments but there was still insults? I read one where it was a very good debate throughout but then the contender got mad towards the end and ended the debate with an insult. I still gave the contender the points for convincing arguments but he definitely lost the conduct point.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
lovelife
Posts: 14,629
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 9:03:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/4/2011 8:36:55 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 1/4/2011 8:33:47 PM, sllewuy wrote:
there should not even be points for conduct

Why? Have you ever read a debate where the instigator/contender completely disregards appropriate conduct and instead insults their opponent throughout the entire debate? If you have, you'd see the need for conduct points.

This.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 9:07:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/4/2011 4:38:51 PM, Alex wrote:
At 1/4/2011 4:31:30 PM, Shtookah wrote:
So swear words are out of the question because..... ? Can sombody explain to me why videos in debates are out of the the question as well..? I really don't understand.

Swear words are not really "out of the question" but typically they present bad conduct. Videos are not so good because it requires your opponent to watch something rather, and it's not your work.

I don't see what's wrong with using videos, insofar as they aren't too long. Nothing we do is entirely our own work; most of the time we're simply adding to what other people have already done. People who try to go into debates as pioneer philosophers, scientists, logicians, historians etc. usually don't end up doing very well. And they usually don't know what they're talking about.

Honestly, what's the difference between linking to an article of text and using a youtube video as a source? If, for example, I use a 5 minute video of a Noam Chomsky lecture as a source for something, how is that any different than me linking to an article where he says the exact same thing in an academic paper? There's really no difference, it's just the format.

Videos are only bad when people use them as a crutch to avoid actually writing something.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 9:08:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I agree with ann. I've seen many debates where the victor was ruder than the opponent and lost the conduct point. It also helps if you think that the loser deserves a point for their arguments. :/
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 9:10:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
theres a difference between using a video (or document) as a source and using it as an argument all on its own (ie failing to summarize it or present it in your own words). i can't speak for anyone else, but thats the main problem i have with videos.

the other thing is that assertions in videos are usually more poorly sourced than assertions in text documents, so it may be harder to verify the legitimacy of things mentioned in the video.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
annhasle
Posts: 6,657
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 9:18:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/4/2011 9:10:24 PM, belle wrote:
theres a difference between using a video (or document) as a source and using it as an argument all on its own (ie failing to summarize it or present it in your own words). i can't speak for anyone else, but thats the main problem i have with videos.

the other thing is that assertions in videos are usually more poorly sourced than assertions in text documents, so it may be harder to verify the legitimacy of things mentioned in the video.

This.

Also, multiple videos makes the page lag which is extremely annoying when you are scrolling down to read the arguments. :/
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Freeman
Posts: 1,239
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2011 9:21:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/4/2011 9:10:24 PM, belle wrote:
theres a difference between using a video (or document) as a source and using it as an argument all on its own (ie failing to summarize it or present it in your own words). i can't speak for anyone else, but thats the main problem i have with videos.

the other thing is that assertions in videos are usually more poorly sourced than assertions in text documents, so it may be harder to verify the legitimacy of things mentioned in the video.

Exactly. Videos should establish some fact of the matter. They are not a substitute for argument.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 1:00:50 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/4/2011 9:07:17 PM, Freeman wrote:
If, for example, I use a 5 minute video of a Noam Chomsky lecture as a source for something, how is that any different than me linking to an article where he says the exact same thing in an academic paper? There's really no difference, it's just the format.

The difference is me having to pause the video, essentially transcript it (partially) and then relate that back to your argument. It's not very efficient compared to text. It's basically just a drain on the other person's time, unnecessarily so.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 1:24:03 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 1/4/2011 8:51:24 PM, sllewuy wrote:
At 1/4/2011 8:36:55 PM, annhasle wrote:
At 1/4/2011 8:33:47 PM, sllewuy wrote:
there should not even be points for conduct

Why? Have you ever read a debate where the instigator/contender completely disregards appropriate conduct and instead insults their opponent throughout the entire debate? If you have, you'd see the need for conduct points.

if you can identify a argument that is obviously going no where with just insults, shouldn't it be obvious who won anyway? take out the conduct and just give one more point to convincing argument, thats the only stat that matters anywa

Because this way, those that do the insults, they can lose more points then if their arguments were simply, not as superior.

I would like the points to be more flexible. To be able to give 1 of the argument points to someone and 2 to the other, rather then all 3 to one or the other.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2011 5:26:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I made an original video to prove a point in one of my debates.

http://www.debate.org...
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown