YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 5:27:41 AM
Posted: 3 months ago
https://www.youtube.com...

[please play the first video when reading]

This post will describe the state of DDO. The site has changed now, probably forever, and definitively for the better.

Things here, on the member end, are good. Juggle's unfettered incompetence has screwed up the HTTPS for the site, but Juggle screwing stuff up is nothing new. What is new is the peace of DDO; this new peace in our time.

The absence of site politics has caused the absence of fighting over site politics. The members who drove fights over site politics have mostly gone their separate ways. While we miss some of them, most we are happy to bid farewell to.

There is no presidency to fight over, nor stupid program that will accomplish nothing to drive the fighting. Soon, there may be even less centralization. That will be good.

Moderation has been dialed back. Vote moderation is waning, and hopefully dying very soon. The only moderation that matters, which is ensuring that the forum is not overran with spam, continues.

I think member conflicts are now probably at an all time low, and there is a reason for that: the members who drove those conflicts are gone, and the reason they left is because the reasons for them to drive those conflicts is gone. The reasons were broader than the presidency, but with the presidency followed the other driving forces.

People do not need external forces of order. People do not come to the internet for hierarchy. They come here to escape that, and to be free. We are closer to that point now than we have ever been.

[Please listen to the second video after reading]

Tsar of DDO
tejretics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 12:44:55 PM
Yeah, I'm really loving the state of DDO currently.
"Where justice is denied, where poverty is enforced, where ignorance prevails, and where any one class is made to feel that society is an organized conspiracy to oppress, rob and degrade them, neither persons nor property will be safe." - Frederick Douglass
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 1:33:06 PM
At 9/1/2016 12:44:55 PM, tejretics wrote:

Same. We have never been in a better place, than we are now. Progress remains to be made, like abolishing vote moderation entirely, but all things in due time.

With vote moderation, the common sense decision is to simply pass the ball off to the individual debaters by way of giving them exclusive control of who votes on their debates.

That way, they are not simply at the mercy of anyone who happens to cast a vote, but they are very much their own agent for ensuring the quality of votes on their debates.

If they chose not to do this, then it's a free-for-all.

This in effect can and should render vote moderation unneeded. That is the world we need to move to, and, even that, is as simple as a policy change.

I expect that vote moderation as it exists now would be reluctant to change, but perhaps after a while longer of futile toiling, they will change their minds.
Tsar of DDO
Deb-8-A-Bull
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 2:03:50 PM
At 9/1/2016 1:33:06 PM, YYW wrote:

Same. We have never been in a better place, than we are now. Progress remains to be made, like abolishing vote moderation entirely, but all things in due time.

With vote moderation, the common sense decision is to simply pass the ball off to the individual debaters by way of giving them exclusive control of who votes on their debates.

That way, they are not simply at the mercy of anyone who happens to cast a vote, but they are very much their own agent for ensuring the quality of votes on their debates.

This in effect can and should render vote moderation unneeded. That is the world we need to move to, and, even that, is as simple as a policy change.

I expect that vote moderation as it exists now would be reluctant to change, but perhaps after a while longer of futile toiling, they will change their minds.

The mixing of Friend's and politics.
What a combo ,
I liked all the bickering and then the silence.
You loved it too big fella , I know you did.
Them all flaming each other , instead of them all flaming you , wich again I know you so love . Even the odd BLM post could pass by without a notice.
But now the half that are left don't challenge you enough , and you king instigator, master creator of flame wars, flame wars no more. It's only a insult or two.
Who's going to start posts about you now. ?
Maybe you can change this when you become president at the next election.
Wich we all know will happen.
I know your going to be OK but YYW. You need to make some fresh enemies, wich I've seen you have been lately with your honest opinion reply's.
Good game , Good game.
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 2:26:33 PM
At 9/1/2016 5:27:41 AM, YYW wrote:

People do not need external forces of order. People do not come to the internet for hierarchy. They come here to escape that, and to be free. We are closer to that point now than we have ever been.

lol I ususally don't think it wise to respond to your posts, but I read this and found it so jarringly preposterous and deceitful that I think I would be doing a public good to point out what you're doing here.

You've worked assiduously over the past few months (or perhaps years) to undermine all formal offices of power on the site, from the presidency to moderation, and now you're moving to insert yourself into the vacuum. You've supplanted (or are at least attempting to supplant) the existing hierarchy with one that submits solely to you, and does so absolutely ... It's only recently that you've started using such tastelessly arrogant and autocratic rhetoric as "I am, bar none, the most prominent member" or "I am, bar none, the best voter." You've also attempted to position yourself as the sole arbiter of who is victorious in a debate and in a way police the forums to violently undercut and suppress certain positions you disagree and expel members who consistently produce content that you do not like ... you'll usually brand them "toxic" or "worthless" members.

You also know that you can get away with many of these nefarious activities because you've built a coalition of support ... you are, nominally, a liberal, but the issue which is most offensive to your sensibilities, and the issue about which you have spoken most profusely, is progressive social justice. This allows you to ally yourself with the right-leaning majority in the forums without entirely alienating select leftists. I'm sure you've also built personal relationships through google hangouts and PMs.

You frequent these forums because doing so must make you happy in some way or entertain you, or provide you some reprieve from whatever may be ailing you in real life .... but it seems that what makes you feel happy and entertained, really, is power, authority and social control (certainly not cordial discourse and intellectual growth) ... and that's why you come here. Considering how knowledgeable and intelligent you know you are (and I don't mean this is a complimentary way) this makes you a bit a nuisance and also a pretty dangerous person, and also lends the illusion of credence to your claims about being right all the time.

It would be so easy to just ignore you if you weren't so effective in achieving some of these goals. You're a smart person who uses his knowledge and intelligence not to nurture or enrich this online community but to put people down (in very effective ways), diminish them to nothing, suppress dissent, command obedience -- pretty much empower and aggrandize yourself at everyone else's expense. There are many members who have left the site in large part because of you ... and many people who remain that won't oppose you.

So when you speak so triumphantly about the freedom of the internet and the overthrow of the "incompetent" administration of the site -- essentially the repudiation of hierarchy -- I can't help but read that as cynical and underhanded.

But of course, I recognize that I can't take this too seriously because, yes, this is an online forum ... anyone is free to contribute are leave, the consequences aren't real, there is no real power at stake ... this is an aggressive sport, and it's not for the faint of heart. But everyone should at least be made aware of what's really going on here.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 2:35:30 PM
At 9/1/2016 2:03:50 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

What a combo ,
Them all flaming each other , instead of them all flaming you , wich again I know you so love . Even the odd BLM post could pass by without a notice.
But now the half that are left don't challenge you enough , and you king instigator, master creator of flame wars, flame wars no more. It's only a insult or two.
I know your going to be OK but YYW. You need to make some fresh enemies, wich I've seen you have been lately with your honest opinion reply's.
Good game , Good game.

Precisely. There are some people who won't see this for what it is ... they're feeble-minded fools.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 7:34:27 PM
Lol I'm glad to see we still have some conspiracy theorists left.... I lol' as I read Ike's post. The other was interesting too.

But alas, we have reached peace in our time.
Tsar of DDO
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2016 11:11:06 PM
I'd have to agree. DDO hasn't really been much in terms of drama. Though I would like the site to be fully opperational, I think things are going pretty good right now.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 12:05:54 AM
At 9/1/2016 10:59:08 PM, UtherPenguin wrote:
A tad bit melodramatic...

Omg yes

He is so funny.... And ya know I kinda thought he'd grow out of this by now but I guess not
Tsar of DDO
UtherPenguin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 1:30:13 AM
At 9/2/2016 12:05:54 AM, YYW wrote:

Omg yes

He is so funny.... And ya know I kinda thought he'd grow out of this by now but I guess not

?
"Praise Allah."
~YYW
000ike
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 1:48:07 AM
At 9/2/2016 1:30:13 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:

Omg yes

?

He thinks you were referring to my post (rather than his OP) as 'melodramatic'
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 1:53:39 AM
At 9/1/2016 2:03:50 PM, Deb-8-A-Bull wrote:

What a combo ,

I think there were a lot of people who liked it....

You're right, I did. I loved flaming people. But then one day I realized what impact that had on people who I wasn't considering, and I just stopped.

Probably 00ike. He likes me, and wishes he could date me I think. He's not my type, though. Not cute enough.

There will never be another election, and if there was, I would never run.

None of them are enemies. Both of those crazy (I mean that not in a bad way) boys still like me.

Good game , Good game.

Indeed.
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 1:54:46 AM
At 9/2/2016 1:48:07 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 9/2/2016 1:30:13 AM, UtherPenguin wrote:

Omg yes

?

He thinks you were referring to my post (rather than his OP) as 'melodramatic'

lol he was....

He was confused as to who I was referring to with "he." I should have just said "ooike."

haha

You should join a hangout, Ike.

https://hangouts.google.com...

We would have such interesting conversations.

No need for a camera. Just a mic.
Tsar of DDO
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 2:00:14 AM
Lol
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 2:03:04 AM
What is kind of funny is how some people keep trying to get my attention. It's just not going to work.

I literally do not care about people I do not care about.
Tsar of DDO
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 2:25:41 AM
At 9/2/2016 2:03:04 AM, YYW wrote:
What is kind of funny is how some people keep trying to get my attention. It's just not going to work.

I literally do not care about people I do not care about.

That was random.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump

Officially Mrs. 16Kadams 8-30-16
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 2:35:56 AM
I am really optimistic, though, about the future here.

Most of the biggest problems have been solved. We are moving towards a better place.
Tsar of DDO
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 2:59:32 AM

This post will describe the state of DDO. The site has changed now, probably forever, and definitively for the better.

There are certainly Pros and Cons, though the lack of very negative political drama you have cited here is certainly a plus for the most part.

Things here, on the member end, are good.

There certainly haven't been too many (if any) major public member-relations issues recently, so it's hard to disagree to that extent.

What is new is the peace of DDO; this new peace in our time.

It's hard to argue against the fact that things have recently been quiet in terms of public drama, and I'm certainly happy about that (it's less work for me). Though the extent of which this directly has to do with the DDO Presidency, I believe is debatable. I will grant though that if there was a president we probably would be debating initiatives and whatnot, and that would create some level of drama from opposing viewpoints and those who feel strongly one way or another. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing though, so long as it's productive, and it does mean there's an element that encourages activity missing.

The absence of site politics has caused the absence of fighting over site politics.

Certainly, and I think mostly everyone agrees that we are better off without the unproductive fighting that occurs due to site politics.

The members who drove fights over site politics have mostly gone their separate ways. While we miss some of them, most we are happy to bid farewell to.

I'm not sure who you are specifically referring to and I don't care to discuss particular members, but it's certainly true that no one recently has been creating unnecessary drama. How much that has to do with the presidency though is impossible to say.

There is no presidency to fight over, nor stupid program that will accomplish nothing to drive the fighting.

All of that is certainly a positive thing. Though I don't believe the debate about the presidency, or the direction of the site, and various ideas for the site was ever a bad thing. But it certainly did get uncivil at times, and I'm happy that there's no catalyst for that currently.

Soon, there may be even less centralization. That will be good.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this. Please go into more depth if you would be willing to.

Moderation has been dialed back.

I'm not sure what you mean by this at all. I haven't changed moderation in the slightest, and I certainly haven't dialed back anything. While there haven't been any major public issues of late that have become spectacles in the forums, I have still been as busy as ever dealing with moderation issues, and enforcing the exact same policies I always have for the past several years. The abolition of the presidency has had no effect on this (or me, more specifically) whatsoever.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you are saying here, or perhaps you have a perceptions of things that I'm not aware of. Please clarify please.

Vote moderation is waning, and hopefully dying very soon.

I wouldn't say it's waning, though the forfeit glitch has certainly had the effect of having fewer votes, and therefore fewer votes to report. This certainly has nothing to do with the presidency, though in terms of the state of the site it's certainly true that vote moderation has been less active lately due to the aforementioned reasons. In addition, the sites activity is down due to the "back to school lull", so that's a factor in vote moderation and all of the above as well.

I will add though, that while vote moderation hasn't changed (and therefore not waned if I understand what you are saying here), there haven't been too many public issues, though those haven't been too common place these days anyway. Recently only two major issues have taken place. One was due to confusion about how source points should be awarded, and that was all clarified and I believe dealt with sufficiently, and the other was an issue that only tangentially relates to vote moderation, where a newer member was publicly threatened by another member to be publicly ostracized for a vote they didn't agree with if that new member didn't change their vote. That fits into more of a conduct area, but it relates to vote moderation since vote related drama has always been the sites main source of drama, and it's been, at the very least, one of the major successes of vote moderation that it provides a means to generally prevent that and allow for other methods of recourse for poor votes. As for that incident itself, I didn't intervene since the member being threatened did the right thing (just laughed at the guy threatening him), and the issue didn't escalate. But I still view it as a problem and wont allow that kind of thing to continue.

I bring that up mostly because I pointed out about a month or so ago that we may have to move to an opt-in only standard, and vote related conduct issues like the above are a concern of mine. So while a discussion about how to move forward will occur in the near future (I do think the opt-in only moderation will likely be the best option moving forward), any change I make will necessarily be dependent on making sure vote related drama and conduct, doesn't create a problem. In other words, if/when vote moderation changes, I will very likely make very clear rules and strict punishments for any kind of voter harassment. While noobs who are clueless about opting into the "standard standards" will get screwed by bad votes (and this is the unfortunate reality of a DDO without vote moderation as it is now) they certainly can't harass voters who vote poorly, and vote moderation necessarily will become about moderating opt-in debates, and making sure voting doesn't become the new catalyst for animosity and drama to foment on the site. This is more complicated, and an entirely separate discussion will be needed for the details on that, but I figured I'd mention it since vote moderation hasn't currently changed - even if I have been planning on moving the conversation forward for some time now.

The only moderation that matters, which is ensuring that the forum is not overran with spam, continues.

We wont agree that it is the only moderation that matters, but I am very thankful that PeterSmith makes sure to report all the spam to me every day. Some other members do as well, and its helpful for the most part.

I think member conflicts are now probably at an all time low, and there is a reason for that: the members who drove those conflicts are gone, and the reason they left is because the reasons for them to drive those conflicts is gone.

It's hard to say if this is true. I think the amount of conflicts I deal with daily are about the same for any year around this time period, but these conflicts seems less public and quicker to resolve lately. I don't think that has much to do with the presidency though, and I don't care to talk about particular people, but some people more inclined to cause drama do seem to be absent lately.

The reasons were broader than the presidency, but with the presidency followed the other driving forces.

I don't know... I can agree with this to some extent... one catalyst was the presidency, though again, there are pros and cons. Certainly there is less public drama and some factors for that are mitigated at the moment clearly.

There's no catalyst for some of the drama... but the rules and the extent to which they are enforced haven't changed at all... perhaps it's just been less public lately, and that's why it may feel that way
Debate.org Moderator
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 3:05:07 AM
At 9/2/2016 2:59:32 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

There are certainly Pros and Cons, though the lack of very negative political drama you have cited here is certainly a plus for the most part.

Indeed, and while the number of conflicts you deal with may have remained constant, you don't really see everything. I think that the number of member conflicts, and certainly the public ones, are truly at an all time low.

As to the rest of what you said, I acknowledge it, but I'm not interested in discussing it further. Your perspective is certainly welcome and interesting to me, and I think in most of the ways that matter, we're on the same page.

I wasn't referring to specific members, btw.
Tsar of DDO
n7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 3:16:32 AM

Things here, on the member end, are good. Juggle's unfettered incompetence has screwed up the HTTPS for the site, but Juggle screwing stuff up is nothing new. What is new is the peace of DDO; this new peace in our time.

The absence of site politics has caused the absence of fighting over site politics. The members who drove fights over site politics have mostly gone their separate ways. While we miss some of them, most we are happy to bid farewell to.

There is no presidency to fight over, nor stupid program that will accomplish nothing to drive the fighting. Soon, there may be even less centralization. That will be good.

Moderation has been dialed back. Vote moderation is waning, and hopefully dying very soon. The only moderation that matters, which is ensuring that the forum is not overran with spam, continues.

I think member conflicts are now probably at an all time low, and there is a reason for that: the members who drove those conflicts are gone, and the reason they left is because the reasons for them to drive those conflicts is gone. The reasons were broader than the presidency, but with the presidency followed the other driving forces.

http://i.imgur.com...

^^ actual picture of imabench after successfully smashing the DDO presidency.
404 coherent debate topic not found. Please restart the debate with clear resolution.

Uphold Marxist-Leninist-Maoist-Sargonist-n7ism.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2016 3:21:19 AM
At 9/2/2016 3:16:32 AM, n7 wrote:

http://i.imgur.com...

^^ actual picture of imabench after successfully smashing the DDO presidency.

<3
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/7/2016 11:25:40 PM
At 9/7/2016 11:21:10 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/7/2016 6:23:15 PM, YYW wrote:
Really though, this is I think the best the site has ever been.

Two thumbs up.

Good to see you back. :)
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:54:12 AM
At 9/7/2016 11:21:10 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/7/2016 6:23:15 PM, YYW wrote:
Really though, this is I think the best the site has ever been.

Two thumbs up.

Well now I know it's the best because you're back haha ;)
Tsar of DDO
YYW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 9:22:35 PM
Posted: 2 months ago
I think it's worth noting as well that the absence of the presidency has noticeably improved how almost every other member interacts with every other member.
Tsar of DDO
Capital
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/11/2016 10:25:37 PM
Posted: 2 months ago

But I wanted to be Fuher of this site........... :*(

https://www.bing.com...
Im not a Nazi