Jump to topic:

New Debate Format

Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 12:59:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Apparently the tool for posting debate rounds has been changed. For some reason it double spaces my paragraphs. It doesn't show my hyperlinks. And it cuts off the last thousand words in my post.

I appreciate all the cool stuff the new owners are trying to do, but if there's any way you can add an option to use the old tool, that would be great...
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 1:14:46 PM
At 1/8/2011 12:59:22 PM, Sieben wrote:
Apparently the tool for posting debate rounds has been changed. For some reason it double spaces my paragraphs. It doesn't show my hyperlinks. And it cuts off the last thousand words in my post.

I appreciate all the cool stuff the new owners are trying to do, but if there's any way you can add an option to use the old tool, that would be great...
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 6:02:33 PM
At 1/8/2011 1:14:46 PM, vardas0antras wrote:

Actually, I am starting to love the new changes :)
"When he awoke in a tomb three days later he would actually have believed that he rose from the dead" FREEDO about the resurrection of Jesus Christ
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 6:45:51 PM
At 1/8/2011 6:37:14 PM, Sieben wrote:
When I can't copy paste in from notepad, we have a problem.

Exactly.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 8:00:47 PM
At 1/8/2011 6:02:33 PM, vardas0antras wrote:

I changed my mind again >.<, I just posted an empty round, how you may ask, I don't know...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2011 11:54:53 PM
At 1/8/2011 8:00:47 PM, vardas0antras wrote:
At 1/8/2011 6:02:33 PM, vardas0antras wrote:

I changed my mind again >.<, I just posted an empty round, how you may ask, I don't know..

I have to open up IE to copy/paste things from word which is painful because my firefox is so well tuned.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2011 3:31:02 AM
Yeah, trying to use the new format was a nightmare and when you have to spend around an hour complying with the new format, it really does make debates much less appealing (especially when a good debate is so time consuming anyway). Here's hoping it get's changed back, maybe with a 10% character allowance for those of us who write too much!
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2011 4:31:36 AM
Suggestions:
1. Have the character count reflect the real thing. It was off by a little bit before also, like 50 or so but now it's somewhere around 1,000.
2. Make sure arguments are automatically saved immediately after typing. Having to retype a round in a debate after losing it is a huge bummer. Since the recent change, this has been happening more.
3. Increase character limit to 12,000.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2011 4:32:41 AM
At 1/9/2011 4:31:36 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Suggestions:
1. Have the character count reflect the real thing. It was off by a little bit before also, like 50 or so but now it's somewhere around 1,000.
2. Make sure arguments are automatically saved immediately after typing. Having to retype a round in a debate after losing it is a huge bummer. Since the recent change, this has been happening more.

4. Fix the copy and paste problem.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2011 4:34:16 AM
At 1/9/2011 4:32:41 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Suggestions:

5. Increased time for someone to post their turn.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2011 6:24:37 AM
Aaahhhh. Everything is completely messed-up. I have to post my round in 3 hours but nothing is working right. Now it's not letting me type any more than a few paragraphs. I have over 5,000 characters to go on my limit but it won't let me. Pressing "enter" creates a space at the top of the page instead of the bottom where I clicked.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2011 6:37:06 AM
At 1/9/2011 6:24:37 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Aaahhhh. Everything is completely messed-up. I have to post my round in 3 hours but nothing is working right. Now it's not letting me type any more than a few paragraphs. I have over 5,000 characters to go on my limit but it won't let me. Pressing "enter" creates a space at the top of the page instead of the bottom where I clicked.
Well, you should try to copy-paste it into Notepad or something, then continue writing there, and copy-paste back into the arguments. Or, you can write arguments on one page and Print Screen, cut and upload, and only put that into your debate, until all this gets fixed.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2011 6:37:55 AM
At 1/9/2011 5:21:48 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Does anyone know if having larger fonts effects the character limit?
I wouldn't say so. I checked and the size of the text doesn't affect the character space.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2011 6:45:50 AM
At 1/9/2011 6:37:06 AM, Mirza wrote:
Well, you should try to copy-paste it into Notepad or something, then continue writing there, and copy-paste back into the arguments. Or, you can write arguments on one page and Print Screen, cut and upload, and only put that into your debate, until all this gets fixed.

Thanks but I think I' just going to stop the debate and ask for it to be removed. Then I'll do it again when the bugs are fixed.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2011 6:48:08 AM
At 1/9/2011 6:45:50 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Thanks but I think I' just going to stop the debate and ask for it to be removed. Then I'll do it again when the bugs are fixed.
True. Well, Rome wasn't built in a day!
vardas0antras
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2011 10:47:48 AM
At 1/9/2011 4:34:16 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 1/9/2011 4:32:41 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Suggestions:

5. Increased time for someone to post their turn.

Absolutely ! Though I am against increasing the character limit.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2011 12:11:30 PM

They'll be working on it tomorrow.