Jump to topic:

Few Debate Challenges

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 12:05:58 AM
Posted: 2 months ago
Is it just me, or has the number of debate challenges fallen? When I first join the site, I remember the challenge section used to be 4-6 pages, and now it struggles to reach two pages. Those challenges that are up tend to have less academic/intellectual topics (e.g. "Mario vs Sonic," "Seahawks will make it back to the Play offs"). While there are people who these topics will appeal to, undoubtedly, and while I am not trying to disparage them in that regard, they are a far cry from some of the more intellectually hefty topics that we all have seen pursued on this site.

So, here are the questions I have. Is this phenomenon real? If so, what can we do to increase the number of intellectual topics/challenges? If not, why, and might it still be worth trying to increase the number of intellectual topics anyhow?
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

"[Bsh1] is the Guinan of DDO." - ButterCatX

Follow the DDOlympics
: http://www.debate.org...

Open Debate Topics Project: http://www.debate.org...
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 12:11:30 AM
At 9/8/2016 12:05:58 AM, bsh1 wrote:
Is it just me, or has the number of debate challenges fallen? When I first join the site, I remember the challenge section used to be 4-6 pages, and now it struggles to reach two pages. Those challenges that are up tend to have less academic/intellectual topics (e.g. "Mario vs Sonic," "Seahawks will make it back to the Play offs"). While there are people who these topics will appeal to, undoubtedly, and while I am not trying to disparage them in that regard, they are a far cry from some of the more intellectually hefty topics that we all have seen pursued on this site.

So, here are the questions I have. Is this phenomenon real? If so, what can we do to increase the number of intellectual topics/challenges? If not, why, and might it still be worth trying to increase the number of intellectual topics anyhow?

I've noticed that there are an increase in the amount of intellectual challenges. There were three that I wanted to accept, usually there's 1
bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 12:15:04 AM

Yeah, most debate challenges are crap now.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 12:24:43 AM
At 9/8/2016 12:11:30 AM, Hayd wrote:

I've noticed that there are an increase in the amount of intellectual challenges. There were three that I wanted to accept, usually there's 1

Which ones?

I don't think there has been a steep decline in the number of intellectual debates, because now, instead of having open challenges that anyone can accept, more and more debaters are sending challenges to specific people (for tournaments, to debate issues they discussed in the forums, etc). This "closed challenge" system, however, cuts new members out of the cycle, by denying them access to these types of debates with more established members.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

"Twilight isn't just about obtuse metaphors between cannibalism and premarital sex, it also teaches us the futility of hope." - Raisor

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 12:26:07 AM

I should also point out that even if there is a single good day with a few good challenges, that this good day does not preclude there being a downward trend. Over the last 2 years, I think the number of intellectual and academic debates in the open challenge period has declined.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 12:27:30 AM
I should also note that challenges which set heightened acceptance criteria, or which require debaters to apply to accept the debate (though I've done this myself) cut non-established or lesser-known debaters out of the process, leading to an ever-increasingly "closed" systems of challenges.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 12:31:44 AM

I agree there are few intellectual debates occurring. The list of topics you have been working on is a move in the right direction. The big issue debates have become rather tiresome. I also think there's a lull due to the start of the new school year, students just don't have the time to devote to quality debates. Another issue that I've been seeing for a few months is the bail-out. People committing to tournaments (not only yours) only to bail out after the first round jumping into the newer or, in their eyes, greater tourney opportunity; there's lack of commitment.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 12:35:16 AM
At 9/8/2016 12:31:44 AM, Peepette wrote:

I agree there are few intellectual debates occurring. The list of topics you have been working on is a move in the right direction. The big issue debates have become rather tiresome.

Thanks.

I also think there's a lull due to the start of the new school year, students just don't have the time to devote to quality debates.

I saw this issue over the summer too. Not a lot of intellectual topics even then.

Another issue that I've been seeing for a few months is the bail-out. People committing to tournaments (not only yours) only to bail out after the first round jumping into the newer or, in their eyes, greater tourney opportunity; there's lack of commitment.

That was one of the reasons I tried to cap the number of tournaments that could be hosted simultaneously when I was site president. I agree it's a problem, but it is not one that is particularly solvable.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 12:38:40 AM
At 9/8/2016 12:24:43 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Which ones?

I don't think there has been a steep decline in the number of intellectual debates, because now, instead of having open challenges that anyone can accept, more and more debaters are sending challenges to specific people (for tournaments, to debate issues they discussed in the forums, etc). This "closed challenge" system, however, cuts new members out of the cycle, by denying them access to these types of debates with more established members.

I see happening to some extent, "closed challenges", but I think this is largely in part due to the forfeit glitch, to ensure one's time is not wasted and the issue of many newbies bailing on debates. I will not debate anyone who does not have at least 4 or 5 completed debates under their belt.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 12:53:20 AM
At 9/8/2016 12:38:40 AM, Peepette wrote:

Which ones?

I see happening to some extent, "closed challenges", but I think this is largely in part due to the forfeit glitch, to ensure one's time is not wasted and the issue of many newbies bailing on debates. I will not debate anyone who does not have at least 4 or 5 completed debates under their belt.

I think the forfeit glitch likely exacerbated the problem, though I think the problem itself started earlier, as more established debaters (including myself) began getting sick of forfeits on debate challenges, and started being more selective in who we would allow to take those debates.

While this development is natural and understandable, it presents a problem: how will noobs get their feet wet, and become established members themselves? For many other member, they relied on having strong debates against establishment members, thereby earning themselves a spot in the established community. My first debate was against Thett, and, though I lost, my performance earned me the compliments and respect of several others; it was my first step towards being accepted by this community.

Shutting newer members out of the challenge period may also deter them from deciding to stay. If you are a new member looking for intellectual debate, and you can choose between a debate on "Mario vs Sonic" or the Seahawks, you are probably less likely to stay on the site, and more likely to depart in search of platforms that could offer you more of what you want with less of an entry barrier.

So, not only does this "closed challenge" phenomenon make it harder for untested new members to prove themselves by being tested, but it also makes the site less enticing for exactly the kind of members we want to attract.

It also--as a side note--means that established members of DDO cannot find good debates against people we may not know as well in the challenge period. I have found myself debating people I know or have debated before more often simply because I cannot find alternatives, though I think finding an alternative might be refreshing.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Peepette
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 12:58:59 AM
At 9/8/2016 12:53:20 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/8/2016 12:38:40 AM, Peepette wrote:

Which ones?

I think the forfeit glitch likely exacerbated the problem, though I think the problem itself started earlier, as more established debaters (including myself) began getting sick of forfeits on debate challenges, and started being more selective in who we would allow to take those debates.

While this development is natural and understandable, it presents a problem: how will noobs get their feet wet, and become established members themselves? For many other member, they relied on having strong debates against establishment members, thereby earning themselves a spot in the established community. My first debate was against Thett, and, though I lost, my performance earned me the compliments and respect of several others; it was my first step towards being accepted by this community.

Shutting newer members out of the challenge period may also deter them from deciding to stay. If you are a new member looking for intellectual debate, and you can choose between a debate on "Mario vs Sonic" or the Seahawks, you are probably less likely to stay on the site, and more likely to depart in search of platforms that could offer you more of what you want with less of an entry barrier.

So, not only does this "closed challenge" phenomenon make it harder for untested new members to prove themselves by being tested, but it also makes the site less enticing for exactly the kind of members we want to attract.

You do have a point here.

It also--as a side note--means that established members of DDO cannot find good debates against people we may not know as well in the challenge period. I have found myself debating people I know or have debated before more often simply because I cannot find alternatives, though I think finding an alternative might be refreshing.

When I next become available I'd welcome a debate with you, we have yet to face off.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 1:00:32 AM
At 9/8/2016 12:58:59 AM, Peepette wrote:
At 9/8/2016 12:53:20 AM, bsh1 wrote:

You do have a point here.

Thanks.

When I next become available I'd welcome a debate with you, we have yet to face off.

Lol. Sure, just let me know.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:08:26 AM

This is of little relevance, I suppose, but I haven't even ventured to the debate challenge section since I came back a few weeks ago.

Is that a bad thing? O.o
"The right to 360 noscope noobs shall not be infringed!!!" -- tajshar2k
"So, to start off, I've never committed suicide." -- Vaarka
"I eat glue." -- brontoraptor
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Overthrow Assad, heil jihad." -- 16kadams when trolling in hangout
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:09:40 AM
At 9/8/2016 3:08:26 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

This is of little relevance, I suppose, but I haven't even ventured to the debate challenge section since I came back a few weeks ago.

Is that a bad thing? O.o

Eh, not particularly.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:11:51 AM
At 9/8/2016 3:09:40 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:08:26 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

Is that a bad thing? O.o

Eh, not particularly.

I've just had no interest to actually debate... My last one was 8 months ago. Lol.
"I mean, at this rate, I'd argue for a ham sandwich presidency." -- ResponsiblyIrresponsible
"Hillary Clinton is not my favorite person ... and her campaign is as inspiring as a bowl of cottage cheese." -- YYW
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:22:00 AM
At 9/8/2016 3:11:51 AM, ColeTrain wrote:
I've just had no interest to actually debate... My last one was 8 months ago. Lol.

I mean, I understand that. I also get that people have IRL obligations and stuff. But people have always had those issues, so I don't think they explain the decline.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

ColeTrain
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:28:00 AM
At 9/8/2016 3:22:00 AM, bsh1 wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:11:51 AM, ColeTrain wrote:

I mean, I understand that. I also get that people have IRL obligations and stuff. But people have always had those issues, so I don't think they explain the decline.

Yeah, you're right. I'm not disputing there's likely a decline (I just now checked, and it's underwhelming).
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:37:36 AM
If Juggle was active we wouldn't be declining.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:39:52 AM
At 9/8/2016 3:37:36 AM, 16kadams wrote:

Juggle needs to be actively engaged in fixing these things.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:41:01 AM
At 9/8/2016 3:39:52 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I mean, I just wish they updated the presidential candidates tbh. XD
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:43:12 AM
At 9/8/2016 3:41:01 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:39:52 AM, bsh1 wrote:

I mean, I just wish they updated the presidential candidates tbh. XD

That'd be a start.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:45:17 AM
Well the political culture on this site seems to be in overwhelming agreement with two or three exceptions. So of course they wouldn't need to debate each other.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:47:44 AM
At 9/8/2016 3:45:17 AM, Semiya wrote:
Well the political culture on this site seems to be in overwhelming agreement with two or three exceptions. So of course they wouldn't need to debate each other.

The forums aren't representative of the whole site, and the more vocal members don't represent all users. Plus, there is devil's advocacy.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

Semiya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:49:09 AM
At 9/8/2016 3:47:44 AM, bsh1 wrote:

The forums aren't representative of the whole site, and the more vocal members don't represent all users. Plus, there is devil's advocacy.

Sure, vocal members aren't everyone, but someone too cowardly to take a stance in the forums sure won't in a debate.
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 3:53:39 AM
At 9/8/2016 3:49:09 AM, Semiya wrote:
At 9/8/2016 3:47:44 AM, bsh1 wrote:

Sure, vocal members aren't everyone, but someone too cowardly to take a stance in the forums sure won't in a debate.

Maybe that's true in the forums, but I have always found people to be more comfortable in debates when they weren't in the forums, because in debates they can find structure, closure, and civility they might not be able to in the forums.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:12:54 AM
I started a few debates.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:20:38 AM
At 9/8/2016 4:12:54 AM, lannan13 wrote:
I started a few debates.

That's good.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:31:15 AM

18 debates actually seems like the right amount it should be at..... When you have 50 or 60 up for acceptance, any good debates usually get buried under mountains of spammy ones during acceptance and once the voting period starts....

More importantly though, we shouldnt be trying to get more debates anyways. 1) Few, if any, of the new ones meant just to bump up count will end up being of 'great' quality, and 2) Fewer debates now means a hell of a better chance of getting votes on them later once they enter the voting period, rather than being buried under a sh*tload of other crappier debates that also enter voting at the same time.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
bsh1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:37:23 AM
At 9/8/2016 4:31:15 AM, imabench wrote:

18 debates actually seems like the right amount it should be at..... When you have 50 or 60 up for acceptance, any good debates usually get buried under mountains of spammy ones during acceptance and once the voting period starts....

But you also had a higher number of decent debates to accept when the numbers were 50 and 60 (and I think that it was greater proportionally, not just absolutely).

The problem is not just that there are fewer challenges, but that their are fewer academic/intellectual challenges, that there are fewer challenges from established members, and, as a more ancillary complaint, that there is less variety in the challenges as a result of there being fewer options.

The reduced amount of debates is not the result of a policy designed to reduce spam debates, it is the result of an unhealthy site environment. It is a result of all not being well.

More importantly though, we shouldnt be trying to get more debates anyways. 1) Few, if any, of the new ones meant just to bump up count will end up being of 'great' quality,

Bench, I would take "mediocre" over what I am regularly seeing from the challenge period.

and 2) Fewer debates now means a hell of a better chance of getting votes on them later once they enter the voting period, rather than being buried under a sh*tload of other crappier debates that also enter voting at the same time.

I don't think there is a significant correlation between the number of challenge period debates and the number of overall debates, mostly because more and more debates rely on the closed challenge system I cited earlier. I think increasing challenge period debates would take away a bit from the closed challenge system, leading to only a marginal number in total debates.
Live Long and Prosper

I'm a Bish.

Follow the DDOlympics

thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/8/2016 4:43:19 AM

I know, there are only a few of us Trump supporters. But soldier on we must.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right