Jump to topic:

Quick fire debate

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 3:55:27 PM
Posted: 3 months ago
Is anyone interested in doing a quick fire debate today? 4 rounds, and 1 hour to post your argument. I'm open to any topic.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
Kirigaya-Kazuto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:22:04 PM
At 9/9/2016 3:55:27 PM, Rosalie wrote:
Is anyone interested in doing a quick fire debate today? 4 rounds, and 1 hour to post your argument. I'm open to any topic.

Pick a topic, i'm down
#Don'tlookatDATXDUDE'sprofilebecauseyoureyeswillexplode ~ Petfish
#Treebrokethechurchbells ~ Discipulus_Didicit
Don't quote me ~fire_wings
If anyone's getting modkilled, it's kiri. Just for his sig. ~Seventh
Yes ~Vaarka
No ~Rosalie
Ya clown ~Solon
OSU! ~Vaarka
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:27:58 PM
At 9/9/2016 4:22:04 PM, Kirigaya-Kazuto wrote:

Pick a topic, i'm down

Hm, Medical Marijuana, seeing your undecided, I am Pro.

Or, The USFG should abolish Welfare? I'm Pro.
" We need more videos of cat's playing the piano on the internet" - My art professor.

"Criticism is easier to take when you realize that the only people who aren't criticized are those who don't take risks." - Donald Trump
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:28:27 PM
At 9/9/2016 4:26:39 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
We could pick up where we left on astrology.

Like I said before, arguing that is impossible.

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:31:02 PM
At 9/9/2016 4:29:05 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 9/9/2016 4:28:27 PM, Rosalie wrote:

We could have a meta-debate about that, because I disagree.

If we are going to debate something, let it at least be a controversial issue, that you can make a educated argument, using facts.

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:35:29 PM
At 9/9/2016 4:31:02 PM, Rosalie wrote:

If we are going to debate something, let it at least be a controversial issue, that you can make a educated argument, using facts.

Between us, astrology is controversial. I believe it's pseudoscientific and, to the extent it attempts to make specific, individuated predictions (or function as an explanatory mechanism), it fails miserably. That's a pretty cut-and-dry argument, and I'm not sure what you mean by "impossible to argue" apart from that.
Kirigaya-Kazuto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:38:09 PM
At 9/9/2016 4:27:58 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Pick a topic, i'm down

Okay, let's do MM.
Yes ~Vaarka
No ~Rosalie
Ya clown ~Solon
OSU! ~Vaarka
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:43:47 PM
At 9/9/2016 4:35:29 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Between us, astrology is controversial. I believe it's pseudoscientific and, to the extent it attempts to make specific, individuated predictions (or function as an explanatory mechanism), it fails miserably. That's a pretty cut-and-dry argument, and I'm not sure what you mean by "impossible to argue" apart from that.

If we take a look at the definition Astrology "the study of the movements and relative positions of celestial bodies interpreted as having an influence on human affairs and the natural world." We can see that it"s a belief. Just like religion is to Christians. It"s almost like arguing "Pentecostalism is Incorrect" Who"s to say it"s incorrect? Your beliefs are based on how you had grown up, and your culture, and what works for you. Astrology is a type of Religion, some people are into worshiping the earth, and believe the earth can heal them, look it up. So, it is pretty useless to argue Astrology, and arguing it"s inaccurate, because it"s a Religion, and just because you don"t believe in it, doesn"t make it untrue.

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:44:12 PM
At 9/9/2016 4:38:09 PM, Kirigaya-Kazuto wrote:

Pick a topic, i'm down

Okay, let's do MM.

Pick one. LOL.

Kirigaya-Kazuto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:48:23 PM
At 9/9/2016 4:44:12 PM, Rosalie wrote:
At 9/9/2016 4:38:09 PM, Kirigaya-Kazuto wrote:

Pick a topic, i'm down

Okay, let's do MM.

Pick one. LOL.
I DID MEDICAL MARIJUANA (MM)
Yes ~Vaarka
No ~Rosalie
Ya clown ~Solon
OSU! ~Vaarka
Fkkize
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:49:45 PM
At 9/9/2016 4:43:47 PM, Rosalie wrote:
At 9/9/2016 4:35:29 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

If we take a look at the definition Astrology "the study of the movements and relative positions of celestial bodies interpreted as having an influence on human affairs and the natural world." We can see that it"s a belief. Just like religion is to Christians. It"s almost like arguing "Pentecostalism is Incorrect" Who"s to say it"s incorrect? Your beliefs are based on how you had grown up, and your culture, and what works for you. Astrology is a type of Religion, some people are into worshiping the earth, and believe the earth can heal them, look it up. So, it is pretty useless to argue Astrology, and arguing it"s inaccurate, because it"s a Religion, and just because you don"t believe in it, doesn"t make it untrue.

That's some hardcore relativism you got there.
: At 7/2/2016 3:05:07 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
:
: space contradicts logic
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:50:17 PM

Only if it's osu! related
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Kirigaya-Kazuto
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:53:35 PM
At 9/9/2016 4:50:17 PM, Vaarka wrote:

You would lol
Yes ~Vaarka
No ~Rosalie
Ya clown ~Solon
OSU! ~Vaarka
Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:54:42 PM
At 9/9/2016 4:53:35 PM, Kirigaya-Kazuto wrote:

You would lol

Of course I would
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:55:48 PM

"Osu Should be Banned"

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:56:14 PM
At 9/9/2016 4:53:35 PM, Kirigaya-Kazuto wrote:

You would lol

Okay, I'll set it up.

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:57:07 PM
At 9/9/2016 4:55:48 PM, Rosalie wrote:

"Osu Should be Banned"

If you can somehow come up with an argument for that, I might consider it. I'd obviously be con (saying that osu should not be banned)

Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:58:00 PM
At 9/9/2016 4:57:07 PM, Vaarka wrote:

"Osu Should be Banned"

If you can somehow come up with an argument for that, I might consider it. I'd obviously be con (saying that osu should not be banned)

I was halfway joking. But I'm sure I could come up with an argument. But, I don't have time to take on 2 debates right now.

Vaarka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:58:49 PM
At 9/9/2016 4:58:00 PM, Rosalie wrote:
At 9/9/2016 4:57:07 PM, Vaarka wrote:

"Osu Should be Banned"

I was halfway joking. But I'm sure I could come up with an argument. But, I don't have time to take on 2 debates right now.

I was more of referring to what Opsianos and I had been thinking about doing before he left.

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 4:59:45 PM
At 9/9/2016 4:43:47 PM, Rosalie wrote:

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but I'm not mentally handicapped: I know what astrology is. And, directly to your question, I'm literally proposing to debate whether astrology is accurate, so I'm here to say it's incorrect.

There are determinate and well-defined rules for deciding whether a belief is well-formed or not, and I assert astrology, much like religion, shamelessly spits in their face. Again, though, I think you have the causal arrow backwards. My contention isn't that astrology is worthless because I don't believe it; I don't believe it because, by those criteria which determine a belief's merit, it's worthless, and, to the extent people claim to believe it, it's detrimental to their understanding of how the universe works. Like, you can believe that "the earth will heal you" (whatever that means--it doesn't actually predict that anything specific will happen, so it barely qualifies as a belief), but like, you can actually test that. If you take three cohorts of cancer patients, one of them declining treatment, one of them taking standard chemotherapy, and one of them trying healing crystals, you're going to observe wildly different outcomes, because crystals don't cure cancer, much less give a coherent account of how they're supposed to work (contrast this with real medicine, where we actually have a pretty good idea how a lot of stuff in the body works, and how to devise targeted and tested treatments for when stuff goes wrong).

Similarly, you can call BS on astrology pretty easy, because it has no mechanical explanation, its adherents regularly contradict each other, it doesn't make testable predictions. I'm not sure if you think beliefs are detached from real-world mechanics or what, but astrology is literally and provably wrong, and I would be very willing to demonstrate that in a debate.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 5:46:00 PM

I'm up for it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
fire_wings
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 5:46:51 PM

WELCOME BACK
#ALLHAILFIRETHEKINGOFTHEMISCFORUM

...it's not a new policy... it's just that DDO was built on an ancient burial ground, and that means the spirits of old rise again to cause us problems sometimes- Airmax1227

Wtf you must have an IQ of 250 if you're 11 and already decent at this- 16k

Go to sleep!!!!- missmozart

So to start off, I never committed suicide- Vaarka
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 10:01:11 PM

Pick a topic, i'm down

USFG should not abolish welfare.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 10:49:30 PM
At 9/9/2016 10:01:11 PM, Hayd wrote:

Pick a topic, i'm down

I'd debate you on something. We still haven't done our debate yet.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Rosalie
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 10:51:08 PM

Pick a topic, i'm down

I would be interested in taking you on, on that topic, next week?

bballcrook21
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/9/2016 11:17:06 PM

Pick a topic, i'm down

You're right. They should force the people on welfare to pay back the money they received, and THEN abolish it.
If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand. - Friedman

Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself. -Friedman

Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program. - Friedman

Society will never be free until the last Democrat is strangled with the entrails of the last Communist.
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 2:44:04 AM
At 9/9/2016 10:49:30 PM, lannan13 wrote:

Pick a topic, i'm down

I'd debate you on something. We still haven't done our debate yet.

Yeah
Hayd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/10/2016 2:45:13 AM
At 9/9/2016 10:51:08 PM, Rosalie wrote:

Pick a topic, i'm down

I would be interested in taking you on, on that topic, next week?

Yeah, or the week after. Have to do two debates before this